need help landing dream position as medical biller

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

anonymous medical biller in Long Beach, California

69 months ago

I recently graduated from my medical billing course with a 4.0 GPA and perfect attendance but I'm having a tough time finding a job in medical billing. My school guaranteed job placement but they offered no help whatsoever. I have experience doing patient registration, insurance verification and coding during my 6 weeks externship. I also have 3 years experience doing manual billing, receptionist work and data entry. I type 60 to 75 wpm and have great written and communication skills but no one seems to want to take a chance on me. All I want is to apply my knowledge and skills in the medical field so the doctors and nurses can focus on what's important which is patient's care. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brbr_burgess@*****.*** in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

Question:> Did you attain a degree or certificate? Which that should have nothing to do with anything.Have you ever thought, maybe it is just the economy or medical facility are on a hiring freeze and can't afford hire ons.

Your school should help you in that area. They should be calling facilities you are interesting in and introduce you to them. Have you thought about relocating? Did you graduate from high school? Whether you have a certificate/GPA of 4.0, without a h/s diploma you will encounter problems. Good luck! Stay focused and continue to call your school, that is what you payed them for, now you have graduated and they can care less about your concerns. that doesn't make that school look good.

In the near future, maybe try doing a little research before getting yourself into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

69 months ago

anonymous medical biller in Long Beach, California said: I recently graduated from my medical billing course with a 4.0 GPA and perfect attendance but I'm having a tough time finding a job in medical billing. My school guaranteed job placement but they offered no help whatsoever. I have experience doing patient registration, insurance verification and coding during my 6 weeks externship. I also have 3 years experience doing manual billing, receptionist work and data entry. I type 60 to 75 wpm and have great written and communication skills but no one seems to want to take a chance on me. All I want is to apply my knowledge and skills in the medical field so the doctors and nurses can focus on what's important which is patient's care. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

unfortunately this field is oversaturated, the best advice i can give is to maybe not look for coding jobs, but rather medical records, data entry or billing/follow up. that will get your foot in the door, give you experience and networking and you can leverage that experience into a coding job. worked for me.

don't give up, its a great field!

Mike in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

You probably attended a school that did not offer CPC or CCS Certification Training. What is the name of your school?

69 months ago

UEI, Everest, ICDC, Kaplan, Concord, don't offer Certification Training. They offera certificate of completion. Unfortunately, many of there admissions personnelwill miss-lead you and tell you that their program offers certification.

rico in Chico, California

69 months ago

since i completed the course for medical claims and billings online course through us career institute i could not find a job for medical biller at home please help any suggestion i submitted or email my resume to various places in Sacramento employment agecny hospitals . is the medical biller job being outsource?

69 months ago

To work from home, you need to work in the field first and obtain Coding Certification. Most people who work from home have developed a customer base from their previous field experience (5-20 years)and have a solid referral base. You need to establish credibility before a doctor or clinic will consider outsoucing their recievables to you. Unfortunately, their are fly by night operations that dupe you into believing you can do this right-away.
Keep your head-up. This is a great field. EVERYBODY I know who is successful in this field payed their due's and struggled at the begininning. IT IS the same for all professions. IF you want this, you will prevail.

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

69 months ago

Mike in Los Angeles, California said: To work from home, you need to work in the field first and obtain Coding Certification. Most people who work from home have developed a customer base from their previous field experience (5-20 years)and have a solid referral base. You need to establish credibility before a doctor or clinic will consider outsoucing their recievables to you. Unfortunately, their are fly by night operations that dupe you into believing you can do this right-away.
Keep your head-up. This is a great field. EVERYBODY I know who is successful in this field payed their due's and struggled at the begininning. IT IS the same for all professions. IF you want this, you will prevail.

Thanks for saying that you have to pay your dues, it is so true. and sometimes it frustrates me when I read on here that people want these amazing jobs, without doing anything for it first. I know part of that is the schools fault for leading them to believe it can be done right out of school.

I started out as front desk and have worked my way up, it took time and hard work and doing a job I didn't really want to do, but it was worth it in the end.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.