Home based Medical Billing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 151)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ineedincome2 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hi,

Just had a quick question about working for yourself, from home..

Besides having all the proper medical billing insurance..
I have the following question..

I don't know much about business but I was told that it's best to incorporate to protect against legal problems.. if you do this are you then considered an employee?

How do you protect yourself through incorporating & get paid?

thanks again in advance..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kc in Little Rock, Arkansas

27 months ago

Mirta Tejeda in Rancho Palos Verdes, California said: Hello Aplus,

I started my medical billing and transcription business a long time ago. In 2009 I decided to take my knowledge to the next level and got my medical coding credentials. In my quest to bring in more money for my business I decided to get off my butt in late 2010 and got trained in dental billing and coding. The training I received was well worth it as today (2012)I have several big dental practices that I freelance code for and also do their billing. I have other smaller dental accounts where I only do the billing so I suggest that you check them out as a starting point

Certified Online Dental Billing And Coding Course = bit.ly/K7TrnC

Mirta
The Medical Billing Home Business Bible
medicalbillingbooks.tripod.com/

How would you suggest I get started in something like that? How are you or did you first start getting clients? That seems to be my biggest challenge right now.

ineedincome2 in North Brunswick, New Jersey

27 months ago

Hi,

I'd like opinions on the best (least expensive) school that's fully accredited & can be completed online or by mail.

Thanks to all in advance..

patty in Asbury Park, New Jersey

27 months ago

Lori in Jamaica, New York said: Hi,

First allow me to be very candid. I have been in the medical billing and coding industry for many years now and I have yet to see or hear of a legitimate company hiring home based medical billers to process their excess claims workload in exchange for either a salary or commission. If getting a job from home doing medical billing was a reality I (and several of my medical billing business owners associates) would have done that with at least 2-3 different companies to increase our profit potential instead of going through drama of starting a home based medical billing business from scratch.

As of August 2007 I professionally recommend the following 2 books to anyone that’s looking to start a home based medical billing business. These books put all the aspects of this industry on table, they are very easy to read and the use of current examples make it very simple for the reader to put the information into action:

medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - Medical Billing Book: Homebased Medical Billing Start Up Guide

urlfreeze.com/medbill/L-312b/ - How To JumpSart A Successful Medical Billing Service

Lori

I discagree about buying or reading a book. Give me a break! I've been in this bsuiness for over 20 years... I have crfeated my own billing traning and consulting company... and is very successful at it. It takea hard work, pounding the pavement and network network network... dont waste yur money on books...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carol.Burroughs@ymail.com in East Peoria, Illinois

27 months ago

Terry in Grants Pass, Oregon said: Someone earlier said that the US Career Institute was a joke. Does anyone have an opinion on this or on other correspondence type courses. Who is the most reputable and who does the best job of preparing you for a medical coding and/or billing career?

I am going to ultimate medical Academy for Medical billing and coding and I really like it their suppose to help me find a job after graduation i am almost done with so excited to be working in this field but also scared to get out there and look for a job because iam afraid I won't find a job in my field Ultimare Medical Academy is in Florida if anybody is interested cant think of telephone number right now but you probly go on line and get it.

janny108 in Sierra Vista, Arizona

27 months ago

Medical Billing in Salt Lake City, Utah said: People are driving is swarms to start a medical billing business from home but the facts are that their is a lot that goes into this. First you are responsible for the doctors income. If you don't collect the money he can lose his practice. You don't need to go to college to be a medical biller but you should know the basics and be willing to do anything and talk to anyone to get a claim paid on.

I just found this cool website that offers over 12 hours of free medical billing training videos. You can watch from the setup of a practice management software, to the actual steps of posting charges and payments including ERA into a system. Also follow along as they send statements and work collections .

Here is the info check out videotrainingpro.com/ and scroll down and click on the Free Medical Billing option. It takes you to a webpage that lists 113 free training videos - click on the one you want, click play and then maximize the screen for full viewing. ~ pretty cool

Did you complete the videos and did they help you get a job? I would like that if you can get the training for free.

janny108 in Sierra Vista, Arizona

27 months ago

power for a purpose in Franklin, Tennessee said: I have a very lucrative home based business that is very exciting. It is in the medical field. If I can help, please contact me for further information.

Hi how did you get your training? What kind of job do you have?
thanks,

shady in Del Rio, Texas

26 months ago

Lorelys in Miami, Florida said: I am single mom that wants to spend more time with my kids. I work to pay daycare and well want to do something from work but don't know how or where to start. Can someone help???

how do i apply for the job tex me at eight three zero four two two zero two two two than u

marilyn in Bloomingdale, New Jersey

26 months ago

power for a purpose in Franklin, Tennessee said: I have a very lucrative home based business that is very exciting. It is in the medical field. If I can help, please contact me for further information.

so what is it? a bit more info is needed here.

Mirta Tejeda in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

25 months ago

marilyn in Bloomingdale, New Jersey said: This was not helpful at all it just throws you into more websites and I mean a lot of web sites. Take what from where is the question?

Marilyn, the only reason you did not find the information that Felicia tried to share is because you didn't want too. Granted the link she shared way back then now leads to a error page however, the website that does come up clearly states "We are sincerely sorry, please use the links below as they are the most current web links on this site:"

The topic that was being discussed here was about "Medical Billing Courses" and on the page she referred you to there is only 2 links that should have been of interest to you (link #2 = Medical Billing Training and link #12 = Medical Billing Certification Training Courses | 3-6-8 Week).

So it seems you wanted whatever course she was referring to be handed directly to you and you were not ready to do any additional research if you had to.

Look, we are all here sharing information in order to help each other but it is not the sole responsibility of the poster/sharer to give anyone everything. It is however the readers responsibility to take what is being offered here and to do the necessary legwork on their own to verify and research the responses.

So for the benefit of everyone, here is the updated (August 2012) link that Felicia was kind enough to share along with a brief description:

medicalbillingbooks.tripod.com/medical-billing-training-courses.html
This medical billing training website is an experts overview of what you should consider before you pick a medical billing training program, school or course to start your home based medical billing business.

Mirta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Greenville, Mississippi

25 months ago

Stay at home medical billing mommy in Phoenix, Arizona said: You say it is a joke its not. Obviously you don't know what your doing for that career. I took the same class and it worked for me they lesson's taught you everything. I am stariting to work from home and I finished that class in January after having a baby, so it isn't a joke.

Hey, I'm interested in getting started at the career institute, but I've heard so many negative things that I'm not really sure. I really struggling on what I should do. So if you dont mind me asking how did you go about getting the job after you got your certification. Could you please let me know how you went through everything. I think it would be a big help and would make me feel better about going through with this. Thanks for your help

Johnna from SE Oklahoma in Stigler, Oklahoma

22 months ago

Hi mom from Florida :) I feel your pain I do trust me. I started school back in March of this year to get my CPC license. In short my Medical Billing and Coding license. I have taken it thru Allen School and it's been the best choice I have ever made educational wise and financial wise. I will graduate in Dec and have the opportunity to work from home once my clients have been built up. It hasn't been easy at all, I work FT, have a 9 yr old son that is in every sport and school function imaginable. I took online night classes. I work from 8am to 5pm M-F and online classes from 7pm to 12:30am M-F. That dream job you are wanting will not come without a price, I highly suggest Allen School. You have to start some where. Good luck to you!- Almost done in Oklahoma ;)

Lorelys in Miami, Florida said: I am single mom that wants to spend more time with my kids. I work to pay daycare and well want to do something from work but don't know how or where to start. Can someone help???

Johnna from SE Oklahoma in Stigler, Oklahoma

22 months ago

School and it's been the best choice I have ever made educational wise and financial wise. I will graduate in Dec and have the opportunity to work from home once my clients have been built up. It hasn't been easy at all, I work FT, have a 9 yr old son that is in every sport and school function imaginable. I took online night classes. I work from 8am to 5pm M-F and online classes from 7pm to 12:30am M-F. That dream job you are wanting will not come without a price, I highly suggest Allen School. You have to start some where. Good luck to you!- Almost done in Oklahoma ;)

April Travis in San Antonio, Texas

20 months ago

Hello Lori:

My name is April and I am going to school for medical billing and coding. An interesting field indeed. Anyhow just wanted to thank you for the candid advice about home based medical billing and coding jobs from home.

Question, what company do you work for because I will be graduating soon and I was wondering if you could suggest some companies if it's not a problem.

I know I'm a complete stranger, but any tips would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

April Travis

Lori in Jamaica, New York said: Hi,

First allow me to be very candid. I have been in the medical billing and coding industry for many years now and I have yet to see or hear of a legitimate company hiring home based medical billers to process their excess claims workload in exchange for either a salary or commission. If getting a job from home doing medical billing was a reality I (and several of my medical billing business owners associates) would have done that with at least 2-3 different companies to increase our profit potential instead of going through drama of starting a home based medical billing business from scratch.

As of August 2007 I professionally recommend the following 2 books to anyone that’s looking to start a home based medical billing business. These books put all the aspects of this industry on table, they are very easy to read and the use of current examples make it very simple for the reader to put the information into action:

medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - Medical Billing Book: Homebased Medical Billing Start Up Guide

urlfreeze.com/medbill/L-312b/ - How To JumpSart A Successful Medical Billing Service

Lori

Jeanie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Shay in Vandalia, Ohio said: US Career Institute is a joke, Went there and NO JOB in the Medical Billing field. I work
in A Nursing Home. Please that is a waste of money and time.

Is it really true.I just got done with the home training.I am looking for a home job.I did the career Institute.

kelly burtin cleveland ohio in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

I need help in fing a medical billing andcoding job from home... i have a son with autism... please help!!!!

Vishal in Delhi, India

17 months ago

Hey
I have an hands on experience in medical billing from last 7 years..now I wanted to start my own business...I need ur help,as in I don't have any client to start my business with..
Basically I want to start with Eligibility of patients and Self Pay reports..so if anyone interested do contact me...email id- vishaltiwari@y7mail.com

Srinivas Reddy in Bangalore, India

17 months ago

Helo,

I have an hands on experience in medical billing from last 7 years..now I wanted to start my own business...I need ur help,as in I don't have any client to start my business with..
Basically I want to start with Eligibility/Demo/charges/Payment posting of patients/Insurance and Self Pay reports..so if anyone interested do contact me...email id- 4ever.srk@gmail.com

Magrant in Aiken, South Carolina

17 months ago

FJames in Chino, California said: Hello Terri,

When I first started out I took a course from one of those schools that you probably still see on TV in your neck of the woods. I must say that even when I graduated from the course I felt more lost than I felt before taking the course.

Needless to say after wasting my money on the course I decided not to pursue medical billing because I felt that I couldn’t trust any online schools. Two years when by but I hate not completing something I started so I contacted a friend in the coding industry that just opened up her own medical billing business in FL and asked for her advice about online medical billing courses.

Her response was to contact one of her associates that had given her helpful tips about starting her medical billing business. I called them and to this day I am very thankful to him because he introduced me to what he said was the best online medical billing course. Since he came highly regarded and I trusted his word I took the course and when I completed it my confidence was through the roof. There was nothing I felt I didn’t know about doing medical billing as a JOB or doing it as a home based business because the business portion was also covered in-depth in the course.

I am not listing the name of the course because I am really not sure if that’s allowed here and I don’t want to get kicked out since I just found this website. What I am going to do is give you a link to the same person’s website that my good friend sent me to and you can take it from there.

Felicia
medicalbillingbooks.tripod.com/id2.html

Felicia, would you please share the name of the course you took with me. I don't have the time or money to waste on courses that will not prepare me for work. The link listed does not work. Thank you!

janetreid92@gmail.com

14 months ago

I went to school, and graduated from school in the field of medical billing and coding, and I would like to start a home medical billing and coding practice in my home, and I would like to know of any medical billing and coding companys or positions in the Denver/Aurora Colorado areas. Please email me at janetreid92@gmail.com to inform me of the places in the Denver/Aurora Colorado areas today. I would also like to know if I need to be trained on medisoft or any other medical computer programs that I need to know in order to get a job in the field I studied for.

eliza in Middletown, New Jersey

9 months ago

Lori will you please!!! stop trying to push your book on to people. reading that book will not! help anyone start a medical billing business.. I have been a director of billing for 22 years... and prior to that had owned my on billing company.. you cant read a book to learn you have to get hands on experience in a doctor of hospital setting stop! marketing your book here.. it doesn't help these young people at all and its very misleading!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

EILZA in Red Bank, New Jersey

9 months ago

Mirta, Cheer lead for her?!!? More like you're doing back flips for her.

1.Learning Is = Acquiring knowledge, putting that knowledge into action and finally you become a master at what it is you’re learned through correct/consistent repetition.

Incorrect you need more hands on experience than any book! A book is good for reference only! since CMS RULES AND Regulations CHANGES AND UPDATES EVERY SINGLE DAY.. WHAT good would that book do? nothing!

2.and the links do not appear that she is getting paid for promoting it. I too tell people about the same book/website because both are exceptionally truthful , the author does not bend the truth about the industry, and the author even helps you after you read the book via phone and email. In a world full of people only looking out for themselves it’s a blessing to find someone willing to share soooo much of themselves with others.

Anyone giving you kudos to that book is obvious inexperienced and have no concept of medical billing whatsoever.. Like I said before, as a director of billing, and a board member of the AHIMA www.ahima.org Look us up, and a former owner of a billing company with an annual gross revenue of 5.2 million. plus.. I perform AUDITS for CMS, if you're not sure what the acronyms stands for, let me help you... Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Mirta, sweetie, I know a lot more than someone who's running a small home base billing service. Again people please!!!! get hands on experience in a doctors office or hospital. Reading a how to book will only take you so far.. The rules and regulations of CMS changes every single day! so ready a how too book that will tell you how to do something today, will be useless tomorrow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sayala0729 in Mays Landing, New Jersey

9 months ago

I am really interested in working from home I am a medical assistant and will be graduating from medical billing an coding in Dec 23, 2013. Can you tell me about your home business? Are you hiring or giving advise on how to start a home business?

Thanks

ELIZA in Red Bank, New Jersey

9 months ago

Mirta, Cheer lead for her?!!? More like you're doing back flips for her.

1.Learning Is = Acquiring knowledge, putting that knowledge into action and finally you become a master at what it is you’re learned through correct/consistent repetition.

Incorrect you need more hands on experience than any book! A book is good for reference only! since CMS RULES AND Regulations CHANGES AND UPDATES EVERY SINGLE DAY.. WHAT good would that book do? nothing!

2.and the links do not appear that she is getting paid for promoting it. I too tell people about the same book/website because both are exceptionally truthful , the author does not bend the truth about the industry, and the author even helps you after you read the book via phone and email. In a world full of people only looking out for themselves it’s a blessing to find someone willing to share soooo much of themselves with others.

Anyone giving you kudos to that book is obvious inexperienced and have no concept of medical billing whatsoever.. Like I said before, as a director of billing, and a board member of the AHIMA www.ahima.org Look us up, and a former owner of a billing company with an annual gross revenue of 5.2 million. plus.. I perform AUDITS for CMS, if you're not sure what the acronyms stands for, let me help you... Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Mirta, sweetie, I know a lot more than someone who's running a small home base billing service. Again people please!!!! get hands on experience in a doctors office or hospital. Reading a how to book will only take you so far.. The rules and regulations of CMS changes every single day! so ready a how too book that will tell you how to do something today, will be useless tomorrow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ELIZA in Red Bank, New Jersey

9 months ago

As I stated before, People please get your experience in a hospital or doctor's office and not in a EBOOK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Martha Standish in Basking Ridge, New Jersey

9 months ago

I wholeheartedly, applaud the author and the ebook!!! I have 6 years of billing and coding experience under my belt (in/out patient) but I am what Eliza called “OBVIOUSLY Inexperienced” at starting this type of business. A good friend of mine trying to dissuade me from doing so had the physical version of the ebook shipped to my home.

I could go into all the things I learned but the 3 biggest take-aways for me was:

1) Due to the brutal honesty the author provided I knew I was nowhere ready to pursue this field nor did I have the passion to do so once I found out what was really involved.

2) It saved me from spending $8K on a medical billing opportunity package to enter into a field that I would have most likely quit after not being able to get the biz off the ground.

3) The ebook is really a 1 stop resource to the names & contact information to all of the companies that are known to support home based billing business owners so the likelihood of me getting scammed was nil and none.

Without it I would not have known about Linda Walker, Cyndee & Larry Weston, Liz Jones, Steve Verno, Don Self and all the helpful members of The BC Advantage Magazine that were/are willing to honestly share information regarding this field.

I am thankful to my friend for the book but more importantly I am truly thankful to the author for taking the time/effort to write the book in the first place.

The book in NO WAY tried to teach me the process of medical billing like the course Linda mentioned above. It did however make me decided BASED ON FACTS if starting a home based medical billing service was the right business venture for me to undertake or not (if so the steps are also provided)!

For anyone to say someone will learn NOTHING from reading it is not being realistic (there are lots of newbies with burning questions regarding this industry as a home based biz and all the ebook does is answer them honestly).

Mattie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandramcneill92 in Texas

7 months ago

I am interested in working from home and need help getting started thanks really could use the money I have a 16 month old son

Medicalbillerwannabe in Stone Mountain, Georgia

5 months ago

Has anyone ever heard of Claimtek? I have desperately trying to start a Medical Billing/management business and they seem to be a one stop shop, but it costs over $24,000. Besides the book people keep mentioning...any thoughts?

Also is there a cheaper solution to becoming a medical CODER than taking the $1800 course?

Ronda in Nampa, Idaho

5 months ago

Alicia in Jacksonville, Florida said: I am really interested in doing medical claims and billing from home, but I have a few questions. First of all, I am a certified Medical Assistant , so I've already taken a medical billing course. Is that enough training to be hired by a company online? Secondly, I made some stupid choices when I was younger and I am now a convicted felon...how hard will it be for me to find a job? Does that matter considering that I will be working from home and not in an office?

I would contact a Medical Billing Company in your area, (or Hospital) talk to their HR person, tell them what happened to make you a convicted felon, what you have done in the meantime. Maybe it's something that will hold you back, maybe not. You never know till you ask. You may be able to get assistance with school, through the employment office in your area (Workforce Development) or FAFSA through the Federal government. With Medical Billing I believe you have to take the certification test and pay every year for the certification. I am going thru a community college, check the better business bureau and HR offices thru hospitals if they would hire someone from the school you are thinking about going thru (if any). Best of luck to you, hope it all works out.

kim in Acworth, Georgia

4 months ago

Same here, I been in nursing over 15 years, made a wrong choice 7 years ago and it;s been rough.
I finally came across a site online, Legit, NO SCAM, it's free and easy to do. NO SURVEYs.
You won't get rich, but, it's good extra income
Check it out
Kim
cashnjob.com/index.php?refer=126652

Kirsten Griffiths in Saint Albans, New York

4 months ago

Hi. I just saw this post and others up here and now see what I am getting into regarding starting my own home business in medical billing. I would love any help or suggestions you have for me, and need them badly. Here is the scoop: I am a semi-single mother. I am due for my first child on May 25 and want to complete this 4mo course on medical billing w/ Career institute & then work on starting my own business. I'm counting on this as an option b/c I have no one to watch my 3mo old once I'm off leave from my current job and will be at home w/ her, but I want to use my time wisely. What are your recommendations for a person in my circumstance when it comes to starting my own home business in this field? My email: cakenkittens@gmail.com. I would really appreciate ANY expertise and advice you have to offer.

Kirsten Griffiths in Saint Albans, New York

4 months ago

SAHM in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: You must not be trying hard enough to get a job in that field then. I had a job with in two days of completing the course and happily work from home.

Hey, I will be starting the course w/ career institute. What did you do to get a job w/o starting up your own business first? I really want to know if this is a possibility. And, when I say "get a job", I mean working from the home, LOL. Im a new mom.

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York

4 months ago

Kirsten Griffiths in Saint Albans, New York said: Hi. I just saw this post and others up here and now see what I am getting into regarding starting my own home business in medical billing. I would love any help or suggestions you have for me, and need them badly. Here is the scoop: I am a semi-single mother. I am due for my first child on May 25 and want to complete this 4mo course on medical billing w/ Career institute & then work on starting my own business. I'm counting on this as an option b/c I have no one to watch my 3mo old once I'm off leave from my current job and will be at home w/ her, but I want to use my time wisely. What are your recommendations for a person in my circumstance when it comes to starting my own home business in this field? My email: cakenkittens@gmail.com. I would really appreciate ANY expertise and advice you have to offer.

Before anyone here invests a ton of money in correspondence schools or business opportunities, you should check us out at www.billerswebsite.com We have tools and resources for medical billers. Such resources assist with getting started in starting your own business, links and resources on how to shop for the right PM system, state, federal laws, HIPAA, marketing, samples, forms, and a LOT more. We also have discounts to some of the better PM systems out there. Don't invest a ton of money.. ONE price of $79.99 gets you instant and UNLIMITED access to ALL of our resources. We have various networking and advertising available for those starting their own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agnes Garcia in San Leandro, California

3 months ago

Can you email me at adgarcia0004@gmail.com. I am very interested in this home base business in medical field. Thank you.

Kierre Cole in Waynesville, North Carolina

2 months ago

It took me about an hour and a half to read all this. I took a course in medical billing from Ashworth College and it was AWFUL! I didn't even finish it. Let my mistake be your guide. I recommend 2 companies. 1) www.medicalbillingcourse.com and 2) www.billerswebsite.com. You will thank me.

danelle in Nashville, Tennessee

2 months ago

SAHM in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: You must not be trying hard enough to get a job in that field then. I had a job with in two days of completing the course and happily work from home.

I am very interested in working from home. I have 4 yrs of billing experience and getting certified. How can I work from home? Can u help? Where do I start? I wouldn't care to work someone that already has it set up.

PMRNC in Plattsburgh, New York

2 months ago

Hi Danelle, You don't say if you want to start a business or your looking for a job. Unfortunately if you are looking for employment where you can work from home in this business, your chances become very slim. I wrote an article that can explain why that is and show you the differences between a "career"/"Job" in this industry versus starting your own business. You can find this article at www.billerswebsite.com/jobvsbiz.htm
I own and operate PMRNC at www.billerswebsite.com

@Kierre, thank you for the recommendation!!

sula in Holiday, Florida

1 month ago

hello Lori Im doing medical coding and billing online trough US carrier center and I never worked in a medical field before I want to know how can I start and what is the best way to get a client ?? how can I gain experience ? and what to expect after a graduate ????

Cyndeew in Sulphur, Oklahoma

1 month ago

With no experience and a beginner's course, your chances of getting an entry level position are slim. You'll have to want to learn more, be the best in your class and continue learning in order to have a decent shot at getting a job. Press your instructors for more information and go the extra mile to learn as much as you can every single day.

You could always try and volunteer at your own doctor's office to gain some experience, which many do. And because there is so much more to learn, you should consider joining a professional medical billing association as well as obtaining certification for medical billing. There are so many resources available to you online -- many of them free. You should spend some time each day trying to continue your education.

Many here will tell you that you don't need to learn coding or terminology. With ICD-10, you WILL need terminology. As for coding, if you take a course, you WILL be a better biller, period, so don't let anyone tell you that you don't need to know coding. It is important to know how to look codes up, which modifier(s) to use, if necessary and how to review chart documentation to ensure codes that are being billed are accurate for services documented in a patient's medical record.

We offer free webinars monthly and we provide resources and assistance to our members. Be sure to follow biller/coder groups on facebook, you can learn a lot just by doing that.

We do have members that work for other members remotely. In fact, our members prefer other AMBA members that are certified with their CMRS to work for them because they know all the knowledge a biller must have to pass our exam. It's not easy and when a biller passes it, they have a great sense of accomplishment and confidence in the skills they possess.

You have to want to be successful in this business and that may mean going out of your comfort level in seeking extra resources.

Cyndee Weston, CPC, CMC, CMRS
American Medical Billing Assoc.

1 month ago

With no experience and a beginning course, chances of getting an entry level position are slim. You'll have to want to learn more, be the best in your class and continue learning in order to have a decent shot at getting a job. Press your instructors for more information and go the extra mile to learn as much as you can every single day.

You could always try and volunteer at your own doctor's office to gain some experience, which many do. And because there is so much more to learn, you should consider joining a professional medical billing association as well as obtaining certification for medical billing. There are so many resources available to you online -- many of them free. You should spend some time each day trying to continue your education.

Many here will tell you that you don't need to learn coding or terminology. With ICD-10, you WILL need terminology. As for coding, if you take a course, you WILL be a better biller, period, so don't let anyone tell you that you don't need to know coding. It is important to know how to look codes up, which modifier(s) to use, if necessary and how to review chart documentation to ensure codes that are being billed are accurate for services documented in a patient's medical record.

We offer free webinars monthly and we provide resources and assistance to our members. Be sure to follow biller/coder groups on facebook, you can learn a lot just by doing that.

We do have members that work for other members remotely. In fact, our members prefer other AMBA members that are certified with their CMRS to work for them because they know all the knowledge a biller must have to pass our exam. It's not easy and when a biller passes it, they have a great sense of accomplishment and confidence in the skills they possess.

You have to want to be successful in this business and that may mean going out of your comfort level in seeking extra resources.

American Medical Billing Assoc.

Tammy Harlan in Johnson City, Tennessee

1 month ago

sula in Holiday, Florida said: hello Lori Im doing medical coding and billing online trough US carrier center and I never worked in a medical field before I want to know how can I start and what is the best way to get a client ?? how can I gain experience ? and what to expect after a graduate ????

Hi Sula,

MedicalBillingCourse.com has a couple of programs that are geared for those wishing to begin a business in Medical Billing. Experience is gained using the program to learn about Medical Billing and then to apply what is learned using a Medical Billing Software Program to enter data, generate claims, run reports, etc. Assistance is also available with regard to "How to Gain a Client."

For a limited time, you can get "Chapter 1 - Introduction to Medical Billing" free by going to: www.medicalbillingcourse.com/picnframes/index.html.

This free Chapter provides a nice overview of Medical Billing plus additional pieces of information for Billing Businesses.

Good luck to you!

Tammy

CDY in Tacoma, Washington

1 month ago

Lori

The 2 links above don't exist. where do I find these books?

1 month ago

CDY in Tacoma, Washington said: medicalbillingbook.tripod.com - Medical Billing Book: Homebased Medical Billing Start Up Guide

Lori

The 2 links above don't exist. where do I find these books?

Hi Lori,

The first book you mention is called "The Medical Billing Home Business Bible" and you can get it by going to this link:

medicalbillingbooks.tripod.com/?hop=tharlan357

I'll see if I can find a link for the 2nd book you mention.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

Sharol in Irving, Texas

1 month ago

Hello, Did you ever start your home base medical billing business?

Medical Billing from home in Irving, Texas

1 month ago

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever started their home base medical billing business. If so, I need a little help. I have the education but need a jolt. I am ready to start my business and kind of scared and not really sure what to do first. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 month ago

Also, we are moving to a new diagnosis coding system (ICD-10) next year, so you would want to ensure you'll be ready for that.

Consider getting Errors and Omissions insurance. Some people will tell you not to worry about it, but in-experienced billers can make mistakes and if you're serious about starting a successful billing business, you need to be serious about each and every aspect.

Consider the type of business entity you want to be - sole proprietor, S Corp, C Corp? You'll have to get a tax id number in order to open a bank account and you really have to go through the motions with your state on choosing a business name or registering your business. Also, you should be aware that some areas of some cities do not allow a business in the home, so be sure to check on that.

Best advice is start reading through websites that offer training and billing software, start demo'ing programs and start frequenting medical billing forums. BE A LURKER if you're not ready to jump in, you'll learn a lot. Ask questions and don't be afraid to.

As you may be able to tell, there is a lot to getting started and in becoming successful. Don't even worry about getting your first client yet - you have so much work to do before you're ready for that step.

American Medical Billing Association
www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm
www.facebook.com/AMBAnet

1 month ago

Medical Billing from home in Irving, Texas said: Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever started their home base medical billing business. If so, I need a little help. I have the education but need a jolt. I am ready to start my business and kind of scared and not really sure what to do first. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I owned and operated a successful medical billing business for 13 years. It's a little difficult to answer your question without knowing exactly where you are with regard to starting your own business. For instance, do you already have your software? Are your marketing materials in place?

I'd be happy to assist you but I would need a bit more information in order to assist you most effectively.

Best wishes to you.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course

SAM in Mississauga, Ontario

1 month ago

Hello,

I will be moving to the US next year and am planning to start my own medical coding/billing business.I was wondering if there is anything that I can do while I am in Canada.I read about the online courses and certifications that are being offered.Can anyone please provide me with the best courses available and any information as to how to set up the business.

SAM in Mississauga, Ontario

1 month ago

Hello,

I will be moving to the US next year and am planning to start my own medical coding/billing business.I was wondering if there is anything that I can do while I am in Canada.I read about the online courses and certifications that are being offered.Can anyone please provide me with the best courses available and any information as to how to set up this business.
Thanks

1 month ago

SAM in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hello,

I will be moving to the US next year and am planning to start my own medical coding/billing business.I was wondering if there is anything that I can do while I am in Canada.I read about the online courses and certifications that are being offered.Can anyone please provide me with the best courses available and any information as to how to set up this business.
Thanks

Hi Sam,

We provide an online medical billing course which includes information about setting up a business. Our course is located at www.medicalbillingcourse.com.

Good luck to you.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.