AHIMA vs AAPC

Comments (35)

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

75 months ago

I approached the subject of AAPC vs. AHIMA by doing research. I went on the AAPC website, and I was shocked to find that their instructor lead courses can be offered by individuals. You don't even have to be a school to offer AAPC’s curriculum instructor led coding training. To offer AAPC curriculum training, you just have to do an application, and the qualifications listed are as followed: certified through AAPC, get a couple of recommendations, and pay $2000 to $2500 to AAPC every year. AHIMA has a peer review process to get approved to offer AHIMA approved coding programs, and their fee is $2500 for 5 years. AAPC refers students that inquire about instructor lead training through their website to these individual instructors and the schools that offer its curriculum. I wonder how they maintain quality when individuals can become "instructors" and just hold classes anywhere. Anyone AAPC might be able to answer this, because I could not find it on their website: Is there a peer review process for instructors and schools? The other thing I found is that the same AAPC instructors who teach the courses, administer the certification tests once the course is complete. It seems to me that the instructors have a vested interest in making sure their students pass, which means there is at least an appearance of conflict of interest. AHIMA administers their test through Prometric, a disinterested, well recognized testing company, and I think that is maintains objectivity in the testing process. I know AHIMA is a non-profit professional association that has been in existence since 1928, but I have not been able to find out whether AAPC is for profit. Usually an .org website is non-profit, and a .com website is for profit. AAPC is a .com. Does anyone know if AAPC is a “for profit” business or a non-profit professional association? I know that its local chapter association was formed in 2007 and is non-profit, but AAPC and the chapter associations is not the same th

75 months ago

The membership fees for AAPC are cheaper, and generally the education paths are shorter, some as short as 16 weeks, and that may be the major attraction, but I don’t think a sixteen week training course will prepare you to do inpatient coding. All AHIMA programs (coding certificate, RHIT and RHIT) are a full year (2 semesters) of coding, plus require courses in A&P, pharmacology, & disease.

I also did a careerbuilder.com search without specifying a location, and using healthcare, full time, and all of the credentials that are qualified to code as search criteria. As you can see from the search there more request for AHIMA credentials.

CCS 365
CPC-H 87
CPC 275
CCS-P 140
RHIT 378
RHIA 377

Razin Caine in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

You get more pay for CCS - AHIMA than the AAPC as not every employer allows the AAPC its not well-knowned as the AHIMA CCS, RHIT, etc;. AHIMA IS better and employers do pay you more.

Razin Caine in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

AHIMA has more members than AAPC, if given a choice it's best to take the CCS than the AAPC since the AAPC is an easier test, but not recognized in all areas of the U.S such AHima. And you pay increases depending on the type of certification that you have.

coder4 in Louisiana

75 months ago

I personally have difficulty recommending the CPC or CPC-H for someone that has less than 2 years of coding experience because you don't get those credentials at first...there is an A for apprentice placed on the credential until you have 2 years or the equivalent number of hours of coding experience. But the CCS-P can be taken without years of experience and it is considered a mastery-level credential.

coder4 in Louisiana

75 months ago

The CCS is the same way also, no requirement to have been working as a coder prior to taking the test for it...forgot to add that.

75 months ago

You do not get an apprentice credential with the CCS, but AHIMA does recommend that you work as a coder for several years before you take it. I do know of people who have passed it without the experience, but they have taken AHIMA approved training. Once you pass it, you are not considered an apprentice, From what I hear, it is a very hard test and you must have a in depth knowledge to pass it. The CCA is another test (lower credential than the CCS) that you can take if you are not experienced and do not have knowledge or confidence that you can pass the CCS.

Trish in Sturgis, Michigan

75 months ago

Ann in Sumter, South Carolina said: I have 2 years experience as an auditor in a local hospital. I would like to get certified as a medical coder. Which certification would benefit me with my experience CPC or CCS? Also would my years of experience in auditing count towards coding experience?

Hi Ann

There are several companies who are looking for auditors..one being in Ohio
They are hiring. If you want to email me personally...at nurseauditor@yahoo.com
I will give u the info. At the present time they donot have a requirement on their site that you have to be certifed as a coder..certainly helps you though..they hire nurse auditors. Thanks

Gregg in Youngstown, Ohio

75 months ago

Who let you back in the forum? And under another name. What did they do, ban you for blaspheme the last time in?

Patty2009 in Kalamazoo, Michigan

75 months ago

Razin Caine in Las Vegas, Nevada said: This is BEST ADVICE TO ANYONE! Don't GO to MEDICALCODING RESOURCES.COM. IT's A SCAM!! The site admin have no experience and will try to lure the Vulnerable to the site. For coding training or Education, try to a AHIMA- affiliated college to get the best training. These websites are not helpful and also they are on ripoffreport.com. PLEASE DON'T RESPOND to medicalcodingresources.com, as they not even certified and only want to get your money. The information is not correct and they have no clue about coding. SO PLEASE GET REAL ADVICE From a ACTUAL Codng instructor or someone with verifiable experience!!

Am I missing something..I did not find this site to be offering coding training..seems like more of a site/links to help you research stuff...did not find they were offering any training..Looks safe to me...????..or am I real dense?

75 months ago

Rain,

I beg you pardon, but that is my website, and I am not selling anything. My site is just information about coding, and I have some study material for helping RHIT students study for the RHIT test. It is basically a students helping students site. I have some Google ads on the site. Did you click on of those? They clearly say "Google Ads", and are not part of the website content. Please refrain from calling my site a SCAM, as it clearly is not, and that is slanderous. My site has been recommended by instructors, and other to students.

75 months ago

Razin,

For your information, I have been around people in Health Information Field for over 30 years. My mother started and taught in one of the first RHIT programs in this state. She owns a related business and I have worked for her in the past. I have a degree in Health Information Technology, and again, I say stop using slanderous language about me and my site. If you can prove some of the information is incorrect, then do so factually, not by just making slanderous remarks that have no merit.

Cathy P

Patty2009 in Kalamazoo, Michigan

75 months ago

Dear Cathy:

I love your site..a lot of work went into it. The LINKS are great....

Razin....most likely you clicked on an ad.....settle down or please go to another site...
Trust me..you did not interact with "whoever" your talking about on Cathys site...you clicked on an ad..what ever the case...
chill...or maybe learn how to navigate the web....

75 months ago

Razin,

Obviously, what I wrote on this site about AHIMA vs AAPC upset you. If you had bothered to read my site, it clearly states that I suggest a person looking to get into the field should contact a local HR person, HIM director, or coding supervisors to find out what is the most recoginzed credential in their area. I provide all of AHIMA's information including links to their websites, and even say it is "Well Recognized". I do not recommend either, but I put information about the education paths, credentials offered, etc. that came directly from verifiable sources (AHIMA & AAPC websites). Again, if have proof that specific piece of information on the website is factually incorrect, I will be happy to research the information and either remove it or prove that it is factual. You are the one misleading people by saying I am trying to TAKE THEIR MONEY. I am not selling anything on my site. Do you know the difference between web content, and an ad that is clearly marked "Google Ad"? I am a second generation AHIMA member, so why would I not support them?

75 months ago

I found a very interesting article online that I think answer the question of whether AAPC is a business or a non-profit professional association. I found that in 2006 AAPC "was acquired" by the Coding Insitute a division of Eli Research, Inc, a publisher. A non-profit profession would not be acquired by a for profit business. So I guess that is one more thing that someone looking to join a professional association should consider.

Weirdo in Woodland Hills, California

75 months ago

I am currently a CPC and make 30.00 an hour. Due to sit for CCS this year and if I decided to leave a managed healthcare company and work for a hospital coding I would make between 35-40.00 per hour. Hope that helps in answer to the AAPC vs. AHIMA.

Stacy in Seabrook, Texas

75 months ago

Weirdo in Woodland Hills, California said: I am currently a CPC and make 30.00 an hour. Due to sit for CCS this year and if I decided to leave a managed healthcare company and work for a hospital coding I would make between 35-40.00 per hour. Hope that helps in answer to the AAPC vs. AHIMA.

Thank you, that is what I was wanting to know. I am also CPC, I am not making 30 bucks an hour yet, but I was interested in getting my CCS, I know hospital coders make more money than physician coders in most casses, and I was gonna just get my CPC-H, but I believe it is a better move to get my CCS instead (and be credentialled in the top two coding organizations, as oppossed to just being affiliated with just one). Being a single mother I need a well rounded better paying opportunity in this field. I am changing my major from a Ass in HIM to a BA in Accounting. How long have you had your CPC and have been working on the professional side?

Weirdo in Palmdale, California

75 months ago

I have been certified since January 07. I have been coding since 01. in the managed healthcare setting. I also learned inpatient from 04 to 07, so I got well versed in the field. Hope that helps.

Melanie Ferrando in Mooresville, Indiana

75 months ago

how do we set it up to where we don't get the emails anymore?? having a hard time finding it.

74 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: Razin,

Obviously, what I wrote on this site about AHIMA vs AAPC upset you. If you had bothered to read my site, it clearly states that I suggest a person looking to get into the field should contact a local HR person, HIM director, or coding supervisors to find out what is the most recoginzed credential in their area. I provide all of AHIMA's information including links to their websites, and even say it is "Well Recognized". I do not recommend either, but I put information about the education paths, credentials offered, etc. that came directly from verifiable sources (AHIMA & AAPC websites). Again, if have proof that specific piece of information on the website is factually incorrect, I will be happy to research the information and either remove it or prove that it is factual. You are the one misleading people by saying I am trying to TAKE THEIR MONEY. I am not selling anything on my site. Do you know the difference between web content, and an ad that is clearly marked "Google Ad"? I am a second generation AHIMA member, so why would I not support them?

Amen, glad you spoke up too! I own www.medicacodingpro.com and this person keeps spreading untruths about us as well. I am surprised the forum lets her continue.

Gregg

cp122578 in Carriere, Mississippi

74 months ago

Makes you wonder if he wants us to clear of this site, so he can sell something to unsupecting people who are looking for a legit educational path?

CP

74 months ago

Yes, something going on here. There has to be an outside motive because we are just trying to help people out. In my book, the more the merrier. People can never have too many options or outlets for good information. I have never been personally attacked like I was on here. I had to threaten legal action as well but it didn't do much good. Hopefully the forum can see through this, which I think they can.

Patty2009 in Coldwater, Michigan

74 months ago

RAIZIN CAINE in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Sorry Patty,
This site is a scam and the owner has no knowledge of the industry. He admits that his wife has tooken 2 courses so that make him "Experienced". Also the site doesn't give correct info about the industry and also they been sued for scamming innocent vulnerable people. It's a lot of scammers on this site. And it seems the forum here is for coders who seek info. They need their own forum" Scammers" beware!

To Razin Caine: The 2 people to whom you are calling scammers..they have very good websites..sounds like from your own words you clicked on a google ad or somekind of ad...which means in English you left the site and "you are on your own" Please stop spreading lies about these 2 people...and I encourage everyone reading his post..to click on the ABUSE button and let the moderators know we need their help....I have personally clicked on the websites and found them to be helpful....
BUT, if you click on an ad..it is your responsibility to be careful
since you will have then left the site....

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

74 months ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Not this crazy person again. When I opened my email account and saw the amount from forum indeed, I knew someone was causing trouble again. I have been to your site www.medicalcodingsolutions.com and found it to be an informative site. It is something that when I got into coding over 20 years ago I wish had been around. Don't ever let the crazies get you down. Keep on posting, you always have something positive to say.

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

74 months ago

Hello everyone, Thanks for joining the Indeed forums. While we encourage the open exchange of opinions and experiences here, we ask that you refrain from making personal attacks. Comments like that are off topic and make it difficult for other users to participate here. Indeed Admin.

RHIT Coder in Connersville, Indiana

74 months ago

cp122578 in Carriere, Mississippi said: Just keep reporting abuse, maybe they will do something.

The best way to contact Admin is to copy the URL of the page where offending posts are found, then go to the 'Contact Indeed' form (www.indeed.com/jsp/contactus.jsp), choose 'User Support' and 'Forums' from the drop-down lists, then paste the URL in the box along with information about the post in question (ie, what Terms of Service violation is being committed, and the offending poster's screenname and location).

I urge everyone to contact Indeed Admin as I've described any time a post becomes libelous or otherwise offensive and/or disruptive.

CODA in Las Vegas, Nevada

74 months ago

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut said: Hello everyone,

Thanks for joining the Indeed forums. While we encourage the open exchange of opinions and experiences here, we ask that you refrain from making personal attacks. Comments like that are off topic and make it difficult for other users to participate here.

Indeed Admin.

Thank you so much! You're on target!

74 months ago

Sad.. Too much negativity on here. I thought this was a forum networking than trying to jump on the bandwagon. And we all bleed the same RED Blood.

Any new jobs, ideas, or networking...anyone So quick to keep up old baggage. Time for change... time for new things to happen without more FORUM war. LET IT GO. FORGIVE. MAKE PEACE!

74 months ago

cp122578 in Carriere, Mississippi said: Just keep reporting abuse, maybe they will do something.

It's funny people report nonsense.. hope we channel our towards more positivity of doing better things than this petty stuff forum drama. Everyone's on here to network and respect other's opinions not to try to defame another cause you try to control what they think, see, and have their opinions about whatever they choose.

Patty2009 in Coldwater, Michigan

74 months ago

OK

Now for a new topic!

What is everyones opinion on RAC coming. What are ya doing to get ready?

Trish in Coldwater, Michigan

74 months ago

Hello fellow coders....Today is Tues..I suggest we ignore the nasty comments on this forum..I replied to the message to see if I could get a response like you 2 did ...I got several nasty ones...which tells me this person is really on here to cause trouble...so let us all ignore the nasty postings......I am not going to reply to any of the person posting...let all ignore......

To the 2 who own their own company's and webite..KUDOS to you for helping all of us...
My question was What is everyone doing to get ready for RAC..as far as
coding spot checks, auditing etc? In Michigan where I work..we are steady
preparing for it. Does any one have any training scheduled for ICD-10

74 months ago

To the 2 who own their own company's and webite..KUDOS to you for helping all of us...
My question was What is everyone doing to get ready for RAC..as far as
coding spot checks, auditing etc? In Michigan where I work..we are steady
preparing for it. Does any one have any training scheduled for ICD-10

74 months ago

I am sure everyone sees this happen..One time I type a reply it states I am Patty from Michigan and the next time it calls me Trish. I am not sure why
but it does not give me a option to correct it. But it is still me

74 months ago

Dr. Jing- Jan Sui in Las Vegas, Nevada said: You was my patient@ Atcala pysch hosp in newportbeach, ca! I know you. How you been? Are you still sticking to the case plan?

Dr Jing...finally some comedy! Thanks for making us all laugh.
How is the weather there?

Weirdo in Palmdale, California

74 months ago

to any of you with any questions, please ask away. I am a certified coder with 9 years in the field and I will help you to the best of my ability. If you find yourself recieving nasty comments and such, just contact indeed admin.