The Andrews School - Medical Coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 94 of 94)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

nik-nik in Phoenix, Arizona

17 months ago

..I'm sorry correction, I meant CCP..in previous post. ^^ not CCA.
*CCS @ CCP

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida

17 months ago

AHIMA posts the requirements for the CCS and CCS-P here: www.ahima.org/certification/CCS

Andrews graduates meet the "By Education" requirement because the course includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding. Andrews will provide you with a transcript to show that you meet the requirements if AHIMA audits you.

Andrews graduates are also well-prepared to take the CCS because they teach inpatient coding completely separately from outpatient. Their pass rate on that exam is 97%, compared to the nationwide pass rate of 58%. Students also pass the CPC reliably before they graduate.

CareerStep's course includes those course titles, but their instructors and website state that they do not teach enough to enable you to pass the CCS. Some of their students pass the CCS but usually only after considerable study on their own or taking another program's inpatient coding course after they finish CS. Some move to Andrews to do that. Others had been taking an internship with a company that partnered with CS, but that company no longer does that.

Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

17 months ago

The way they list it on their website is a little complicated, but after training you can take either the CCA or CCS exam. Career Step's program is AHIMA approved so you know it meets the AHIMA requirements to take the CCA or CCS exam "by education" however it is difficult to pass the CSS exam without actual work experience so when Career Step says they prepare you for the CCA they are simply being more realistic about what to expect. More people pass the CCS after a year's work experience, but you are eligible to take it after finishing Career Step's program. If you get a CCA, you would not need a refresher course to get the CCS because after working one year in coding with a CCA you can have your CCA credential changed to a CCS.
There is a shortage of coders in many areas since the implementation of ICD-10 in October, so now is a great time for newly credentialed coders to be entering the market.
It would be helpful to talk to someone at Career Step, they will always give you a realistic picture of all their program can provide.
referral.careerstep.com/ref36530

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

IPCoder2Be in Chattanooga, Tennessee

17 months ago

@Nik Nik,

In other words, it is up to the student to determine whether a coding program meets the AHIMA education requirement. If you call AHIMA, no one will directly verify if the program meets the CCS requirements or not - they just tell you to look at your course syllabus and make comparisons. If your certification/application is ever audited you need to have proof that your program meets the CCS requirement. Any claims by the coding program itself is not decisive on the issue.

I took the CCS without taking the CCA when I finished Career Step and I prepared like everyone else - using the AHIMA CCS Prep Exam Book and the PRG CCS Exam book. Not considerable study but it depends on the person as to how prepared they feel and if they think they need more directed guidance.

And just a note about the "coder shortage" - there isn't really a shortage. I've heard from several in this field and there is no huge demand for brand new coders. I'd almost say there is no demand at all - except maybe for HCC coding. I know many who were hired as inpatient and outpatient coders in preparation of ICD 10 who were laid off because the transition didn't affect productivity to the extent that was predicted. To get a realistic picture, you should speak to coders in your area (esp. any local AHIMA or AAPC chapters) and get their feel for the job market before committing yourself to any coding program.

Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Career Step's program is AHIMA approved so you know it meets the AHIMA requirements to take the CCA or CCS exam ...
If you get a CCA, you would not need a refresher course to get the CCS because after working one year in coding with a CCA you can have your CCA credential changed to a CCS.

AHIMA approval does NOT mean that the course meets the requirements to take the CCA or CCS exam. AHIMA's own Coding Basics program is AHIMA-approved, but the AHIMA website states it does not meet the qualifications for the CCS exam. Many AHIMA-approved programs do not meet those requirements.

The only requirement for the CCA is a high school diploma. Career Step does not offer those, so it cannot meet the requirement.

The statement about working a year to "have your CCA credential changed to a CCS" is misleading. AHIMA does not change your credential to a CCS just because you worked for a year. If you have any credential, including the CPC, and a year's experience, you can qualify to take the CCS exam. You still have to pass the exam.

Getting a year of experience with the CCA is more difficult than it seems because employers rarely hire CCA's. They are far more likely to hire someone who already has a CPC and/or CCS.

There is a shortage of coders. It just doesn't seem that way to graduates of programs that did not prepare them for the credentials employers expect.

Reply - Report abuse

nik-nik in Phoenix, Arizona

16 months ago

So I guess my question is for 'recent graduates' of students who attended Andrews and even CS, was it easier to find employment straight out of training after the implementation of icd-10 and with the expectation that its a shortage of coders with that experience, or is finding a job after course completion pretty much the same. And is obtaing the CCS credential something employers highly consider fresh out of training even without the experience?

Reply - Report abuse

Jay Ann in Jacksonville, Florida

8 months ago

Dorothy in Wheaton, Illinois said: I am working through the Career Step program right now and I think it is one of the best choices out there. Their Medical Billing and Coding program is AHIMA approved so I know when it comes time for testing that I have covered the correct material to get certified. I had looked at a similar program through my local community college , but it lasts two years and would have cost me $15,000!

I am also very excited about graduating from the course because Career Step has recently partnered with a company called IOD who hires Career Step graduates for remote coding jobs.

They have an offer right now where you can get a free laptop or $300 off when you sign up. Here is the link for that offer:
www.careerstep.com/?uid=ref36530

Have you finished the Career Step program. Did you get a job in the field. I am looking at different programs and career step keeps popping up on my list

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jay Ann in Jacksonville, Florida

8 months ago

How was the career step program and did you complete it? Did you get employed afterwards? I am looking at different programs and keep going back to career step

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Real, live coder in Saint Petersburg, Florida

8 months ago

Jay Ann in Jacksonville, Florida said: How was the career step program and did you complete it? Did you get employed afterwards? I am looking at different programs and keep going back to career step

Dorothy appears to be a paid recruiter for that school. She posts their typical reel-em-in lures for any number of their programs in a lot of internet forums.

If you want objective information from actual graduates, you might want to try the Facebook forum JOBS for American Medical Coders, where she does not seem to be allowed.

Reply - Report abuse

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado

3 months ago

Hello, I'm interested in becoming a Hospital Coder (both inpatient and outpatient), and would ideally like to obtain both the CCS and CPC-H, or the CCS & CPC if the CPC-H wouldn't get me anywhere. I know that The Andrews School advertises preparation for the CCS AND CPC, however my question is: does Career Step's program also prepare one to take the CCS if they wanted, but it's just not advised? Or does Career Step actually just prepare for the CCA (and CPC)?

I ask because looking at this: www.andrewsschool.com/coding/Description.php the pharmacology required course is missing, and it doesn't specifically say Medical Terminology, just Medical Language. Not sure if this is just semantics or not.

Plus Career Step's curriculum seems to directly line up more with what the AHIMA website requires for CCS certification. So is The Andrews School still the better option if I'm CCS-certification interested? Is it just different wording but still meeting all the requirements on the AHIMA website? Or would Career Step be better?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Forgot to add: the Career Step curriculum seems more in-depth than the Andrews curriculum, but I'm not sure if that means that CS is more in-depth just because it LOOKS like it.

And with a CPC-H credential, could I still apply for outpatient hospital coding positions that only state CPC?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Hello, I'm interested in becoming a Hospital Coder (both inpatient and outpatient), and would ideally like to obtain both the CCS and CPC-H, or the CCS & CPC if the CPC-H wouldn't get me anywhere. I know that The Andrews School advertises preparation for the CCS AND CPC, however my question is: does Career Step's program also prepare one to take the CCS if they wanted, but it's just not advised? Or does Career Step actually just prepare for the CCA (and CPC)?

I ask because looking at this: www.andrewsschool.com/coding/Description.php the pharmacology required course is missing, and it doesn't specifically say Medical Terminology, just Medical Language. Not sure if this is just semantics or not.

Plus Career Step's curriculum seems to directly line up more with what the AHIMA website requires for CCS certification. So is The Andrews School still the better option if I'm CCS-certification interested? Is it just different wording but still meeting all the requirements on the AHIMA website? Or would Career Step be better?

Andrews' curriculum fully meets the AHIMA CCS requirements. "Pharmacotherapy" is listed right on their webpage at the link you gave. "Medical Language" is the same thing as medical terminology.

They cover everything needed for the CPC and CCS exams. They teach outpatient and inpatient coding completely and separately, so their students can keep them straight. Their students have a 97% pass rate on those exams, so it should be obvious that their program is successful.

The CPC-H is not the equivalent of the CCS. It is facility outpatient coding. The CCS is a better choice in terms of employment prospects.

CPC = physician services coding ("outpatient")

CCS = inpatient coding and facility coding (CPC-I and CPC-H)

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Andrews' curriculum fully meets the AHIMA CCS requirements. "Pharmacotherapy" is listed right on their webpage at the link you gave. "Medical Language" is the same thing as medical terminology.

They cover everything needed for the CPC and CCS exams. They teach outpatient and inpatient coding completely and separately, so their students can keep them straight. Their students have a 97% pass rate on those exams, so it should be obvious that their program is successful.

The CPC-H is not the equivalent of the CCS. It is facility outpatient coding. The CCS is a better choice in terms of employment prospects.

CPC = physician services coding ("outpatient")

CCS = inpatient coding and facility coding (CPC-I and CPC-H)

The only thing is, is that pharmacotherapy is not the same thing as pharmacology. I've also come across a few job postings that state that the coding certificate must be AHIMA or AAPC-certified; which Andrews doesn't seem to officially be recognized by either organizaton (correct me if I'm wrong).

And again, your response is really appreciated. It really helps to know that the CCS will get me jobs in both inpatient & outpatient coding. I'm not even going to bother with AAPC; just going to stick strictly to AHIMA.

And it does seem like the CCA credential is almost useless. Perhaps extra networking is the key with the CCA (volunteer opportunities if not the rare job offer.)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

*AHIMA or AAPC-approved

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: The only thing is, is that pharmacotherapy is not the same thing as pharmacology. I've also come across a few job postings that state that the coding certificate must be AHIMA or AAPC-certified; which Andrews doesn't seem to officially be recognized by either organizaton (correct me if I'm wrong).

And again, your response is really appreciated. It really helps to know that the CCS will get me jobs in both inpatient & outpatient coding. I'm not even going to bother with AAPC; just going to stick strictly to AHIMA.

Why on earth are you judging course content by whether they call something "medical terminology" vs. "medical language" and "pharmacology" versus "pharmacotherapy"? Why quibble about this with someone who is familiar with that course? I've taken it. You'll notice I am a CCS, CPC. Unless you want to accuse me of getting that CCS fraudulently, you might want to accept that the Andrews course content meets AHIMA requirements.

Andrews uses a college textbook called "Introduction to Pharmacology" by Asperheim and Favaro. Pharmacology.

I think you are confused about the job listings you are seeing. They are telling you that YOU need to have a coding certification from the AAPC or AHIMA. YOU, not the school. The AAPC does not recognize schools at all. AHIMA has an approval program, but not all approved schools qualify you to take the CCS exam. They will be the first to tell you that it does not mean anything is wrong with the school if it isn't approved.

You are also wrong that you don't need the CPC. The CCS is not going to make you eligible for jobs in the AAPC-focused outpatient market.

You don't sound like you would be happy at Andrews. You feel that you already know best and that does not indicate teachability.

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

This is an example of what I'm talking about: www.indeed.com/cmp/Vesa-Health-&-Technology,-Inc/jobs/Certified-Medical-Coder-1cdc2f40fd4799b9?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvekKMaDjFVWZBUpfPcS0-YTWuBStxM4hLoAjntIRZfHcyoDzyPUqya2MxUfimfwRz4C6u-jXZ1vQw-yVcM3AAlY

Education/Certification:

"Education: A minimum of one of the following:

An associate’s degree in Health Information Management;
A university certificate in medical coding;
At least 30 semester hours’ university/college credit that includes relevant coursework such as anatomy/physiology, medical terminology, health information management, and/or pharmacology.

Education in section must be from an accredited educational institution recognized by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and/or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)."

And can you provide proof that pharmacotherapy is the same thing as pharmacology? Because the AHIMA website states nothing about pharmacotherapy, just pharmacology. The fact that Andrews uses that textbook doesn't mean that it's the required pharmacology course AHIMA is asking for.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: *AHIMA or AAPC-approved

Hello,

Career Step's program is a comprehensive, in-depth curriculum that was written by two top AHIMA consultants. You are correct that their program does meet AHIMA's requirements for sitting for the CCS even though they officially recommend a more conservative approach of taking the CCA, getting a year's coding experience and then taking the CCS. The program does provide over 100 hours of practicum that some employers who know Career Step count as coding experience, and plenty of students in the Career Step student forums report that they were able to pass the CCS without taking the CCA first.
Career Step has been educating medical office professionals for 25 years, the program is known and respected by employers, and has even been endorsed by Dave Ramsey, a well-know financial consultant.
They are running a special this month where you get $400 off tuition when you enroll by the end of the month. Here is a link to that:

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: This is an example of what I'm talking about: www.indeed.com/cmp/Vesa-Health-&-Technology ,-Inc/jobs/Certified-Medical-Coder-1cdc2f40fd4799b9?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvekKMaDjFVWZBUpfPcS0-YTWuBStxM4hLoAjntIRZfHcyoDzyPUqya2MxUfimfwRz4C6u-jXZ1vQw-yVcM3AAlY

Education/Certification:

At least 30 semester hours’ university/college credit that includes relevant coursework such as anatomy/physiology, medical terminology, health information management, and/or pharmacology.

Education in section must be from an accredited educational institution recognized by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and/or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)."

And can you provide proof that pharmacotherapy is the same thing as pharmacology? Because the AHIMA website states nothing about pharmacotherapy, just pharmacology. The fact that Andrews uses that textbook doesn't mean that it's the required pharmacology course AHIMA is asking for.

My email has been blowing up with responses to this thread so I'm going to jump in and hopefully answer any questions in an unbiased manner.

1. If you want real input into Career Step or Andrews from [most] people who don't have a vested interest in promoting either, go to facebook and search for the Jobs for American Medical Coders group [JFAMC].

2. Both schools on paper prepare you for the CCS. Many Career Steps and Andrews graduates got their CCS certifications right after finishing their programs w/o any experience.

3. Most employers could care less which coding certificate school you graduated from. They want experience and certification.

Continued below:

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Continuation:

4. Regardless of number 3, a few [VERY FEW] employers may require an AHIMA approved coding certificate program. Others may prefer an AHIMA approved certificate program. If the job requires an associates degree or bachelors degree then ALL of them want it to be from a CAHIM accredited school. There is a different between ACCREDITED schools for DEGREE programs and APPROVED schools for CERTIFICATE programs. If the job posting seems ambiguous on this point, call the employer for clarification.

5. The only certifications worth getting at the beginning of your coding career is the CCS and/or CPC. If you know what area you will be looking, then start searching for jobs now to see which certification is more desirable.

HTH

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Change "looking" to "working" in point 5.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: This is an example of what I'm talking about: www.indeed.com/cmp/Vesa-Health-&-Technology ,-Inc/jobs/Certified-Medical-Coder-1cdc2f40fd4799b9?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvekKMaDjFVWZBUpfPcS0-YTWuBStxM4hLoAjntIRZfHcyoDzyPUqya2MxUfimfwRz4C6u-jXZ1vQw-yVcM3AAlY

Education/Certification:

Please take the Career Step course. Use that nice link Barb gave you so you can get a big discount and she can get her referral fee.

Check with that employer, too, and see if they will hold that job for you until you graduate.

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

IPCoder2Be in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Continuation:

4. Regardless of number 3, a few [VERY FEW] employers may require an AHIMA approved coding certificate program. Others may prefer an AHIMA approved certificate program. If the job requires an associates degree or bachelors degree then ALL of them want it to be from a CAHIM accredited school. There is a different between ACCREDITED schools for DEGREE programs and APPROVED schools for CERTIFICATE programs. If the job posting seems ambiguous on this point, call the employer for clarification.

5. The only certifications worth getting at the beginning of your coding career is the CCS and/or CPC. If you know what area you will be looking, then start searching for jobs now to see which certification is more desirable.

HTH

It wouldn't be worth obtaining the RHIT as well, just in case? From what I'm gathering, it's going to be heck and earth in obtaining a job- - and very hard getting at least 1 year of volunteer coding or billing experience, so I thought that having both the RHIT + CCS will give me more options (however many that may be). But if you're saying it's not worth it, then I'd have to possibly redirect my approach...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

*heck ON earth

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: It wouldn't be worth obtaining the RHIT as well, just in case? From what I'm gathering, it's going to be heck and earth in obtaining a job- - and very hard getting at least 1 year of volunteer coding or billing experience, so I thought that having both the RHIT + CCS will give me more options (however many that may be). But if you're saying it's not worth it, then I'd have to possibly redirect my approach...

I don't know about that. Andrews students don't seem to have that much difficulty getting jobs. Some of them even get jobs three quarters of the way through the program, around the time they get their CPC.

If you expect that much difficulty, maybe getting an RHIT would work for you. It will take you about three times as long and cost upwards of $10,000-$30,000, but, sure, if you have the time and the money go for it.

Might want to check the Facebook forum Jobs for American Medical Coders to see how many RHITs have trouble getting jobs.

Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I don't know about that. Andrews students don't seem to have that much difficulty getting jobs. Some of them even get jobs three quarters of the way through the program, around the time they get their CPC.

If you expect that much difficulty, maybe getting an RHIT would work for you. It will take you about three times as long and cost upwards of $10,000-$30,000, but, sure, if you have the time and the money go for it.

Might want to check the Facebook forum Jobs for American Medical Coders to see how many RHITs have trouble getting jobs.

So does Andrews work with graduates in obtaining a job and/or internship/work experience after graduation?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: So does Andrews work with graduates in obtaining a job and/or internship/work experience after graduation?

Hi,
Regarding the RHIT,that certification requires an associate's degree from a CAHIIM-accredited school. This will take at least 2 years to complete and is not necessary for a coding job, unless the potential employer wants to hire you for more duties than just coding. While an RHIT will expand the kinds of medical office jobs you are qualified for, it will not necessarily help you in getting a straight coding position (vs. having the CCS), so you need to evaluate what you want your career path to be.
I also think local job markets can vary as to what certifications employers prefer. It is often helpful to search for current job listings in your area to see what is preferred in your area.
Instead of studying for two years and spending $10-$20K, you can be ready to sit for the CCS through Career Step in as little as 4-6 months (if you can study full time)

Also, Career Step does offer graduate counselors and assistance with resumes, etc after graduation.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Hi,
Regarding the RHIT,that certification requires an associate's degree from a CAHIIM-accredited school. This will take at least 2 years to complete and is not necessary for a coding job, unless the potential employer wants to hire you for more duties than just coding. While an RHIT will expand the kinds of medical office jobs you are qualified for, it will not necessarily help you in getting a straight coding position (vs. having the CCS), so you need to evaluate what you want your career path to be.
I also think local job markets can vary as to what certifications employers prefer. It is often helpful to search for current job listings in your area to see what is preferred in your area.
Instead of studying for two years and spending $10-$20K, you can be ready to sit for the CCS through Career Step in as little as 4-6 months (if you can study full time)

Also, Career Step does offer graduate counselors and assistance with resumes, etc after graduation.

I'm looking to work mainly in a hospital setting, so that's why I was asking about the RHIT. I wasn't sure if the CCS alone was enough to keep me in the hospital (outpatient or inpatient coding), but apparently it is (my thanks again goes to the ever-so-cheerful CPC/CCS Florida poster).

I'm not going to rely on CareerStep actually finding me a job or volunteer opportunity after graduation, but I will need their help in the resume and interview processes. That is, unless The Andrews School provides these same services...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I'm looking to work mainly in a hospital setting, so that's why I was asking about the RHIT. I wasn't sure if the CCS alone was enough to keep me in the hospital (outpatient or inpatient coding), but apparently it is (my thanks again goes to the ever-so-cheerful CPC/CCS Florida poster).

I'm not going to rely on CareerStep actually finding me a job or volunteer opportunity after graduation, but I will need their help in the resume and interview processes. That is, unless The Andrews School provides these same services...

Yes, Career Step teaches ICD-10-CM and PCS codes so that you will be prepared to work in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
As far as career counseling goes, you will get a one-on-one review of your resume and cover letter and they also have really helpful personalized interview tutorials.
Good luck in your new career pursuits!
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I'm looking to work mainly in a hospital setting, so that's why I was asking about the RHIT. I wasn't sure if the CCS alone was enough to keep me in the hospital (outpatient or inpatient coding), but apparently it is (my thanks again goes to the ever-so-cheerful CPC/CCS Florida poster).

It's great to look to working in a hospital setting, but hospital jobs form only a small portion of what is available. Refusing to consider the rest of the options will limit your opportunities and possibly make it more difficult to get a first job. You want to keep an open mind.

Of course Andrews will help with your resume and whatever else you need. They are a very small school, so they are able to provide personalized assistance in that regard.

Their instruction is personalized, as well. Their instructors work with you individually, at your request, and as much as necessary. They use textbooks rather than the computer teaching screens that most schools now use.

You can see the difference in some Facebook forums. Andrews students talk about making gains in learning challenging material and about being thrilled to do perfect work. Students of some other programs are so hampered by the computer screens that they focus on figuring out how to circumvent them to just get through the material so they can finish before they have to buy another pricey extension.

Reply - Report abuse

Kristi in Grandview, Washington

27 days ago

Dawn in Hollywood, Florida said: Cider 1621,

I have been with The Andrews school for coding since April of last year and my experience is the complete opposite of yours. I do not feel alone and whenever I have questions I am given clear direction. The Andrews school exceeds my expectations and I will be more than prepares upon completion of this program to sit for the CCS and CPC. Sorry your expectations were not met but it's really hard for me to believe that based on my experience. Best of luck to you!

I am curious about how it's going with career step. I am also looking into an online school for coding and have been for some time but it's so hard to find information on which school seems to be the best. So far the toss-ups between Andrews and career step. I have watch some YouTube videos through codemaster coach not sure if anybody's heard of her before she seems to be informative and knowledgeable but it seems like I'm going to need quite a bit more training then what she has to offer. Anybody have any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

27 days ago

Kristi in Grandview, Washington said: I am curious about how it's going with career step. I am also looking into an online school for coding and have been for some time but it's so hard to find information on which school seems to be the best. So far the toss-ups between Andrews and career step. I have watch some YouTube videos through codemaster coach not sure if anybody's heard of her before she seems to be informative and knowledgeable but it seems like I'm going to need quite a bit more training then what she has to offer. Anybody have any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is not the best place to get information about these schools -- there is no accountability, no vetting, and a lot of paid shilling. Try the Facebook forum JOBS for American Medical Coders. Andrews has an open forum called Medical Coding Forum, on which you can get information and meet students, instructors, the director, and others. CareerStep Coders is a nonofficial forum their students set up, on which you can get a good idea of how things go for them.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

26 days ago

Kristi in Grandview, Washington said: I am curious about how it's going with career step. I am also looking into an online school for coding and have been for some time but it's so hard to find information on which school seems to be the best. So far the toss-ups between Andrews and career step. I have watch some YouTube videos through codemaster coach not sure if anybody's heard of her before she seems to be informative and knowledgeable but it seems like I'm going to need quite a bit more training then what she has to offer. Anybody have any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Never heard of codemaster coach. Sounds like maybe a service that could be a study tool for the exams, but you need a complete background in anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding BEFORE you begin studying for the exams. Coding is a real career that requires professional training that you simply can't get from watching a video. You learn the coding after you do all the medical background courses. You need a reputable program with a real curriculum.
Career Step's program is over 600 hours of curriculum (including over 100 hours of practicum) and it was written by 2 top AHIMA consultants and is AHIMA approved so you know you are getting all the education you need to successfully pass the certification exams.

They have various enrollment specials throughout the year and right now if you enroll before the end of the month you can get a $400 tuition discount before the fall tuition increases got into effect next month.

Reply - Report abuse

Purpose Fulfilled in San Antonio, Texas

5 days ago

I am very interested in becoming a medical coder, however, I have several questions in regards to Career Step. Someone just posted that Career Step doesn't work with the IOD company that will train them for the CCS. Is this true? This was the only reason I was interested in doing Career Step.
Furthermore, does the practicum that Career Step offers counts as a year of medical coding experience?

In regards to Andrew's School, how long would it take to finish the program?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 days ago

Purpose Fulfilled in San Antonio, Texas said: I am very interested in becoming a medical coder, however, I have several questions in regards to Career Step. Someone just posted that Career Step doesn't work with the IOD company that will train them for the CCS. Is this true? This was the only reason I was interested in doing Career Step.
Furthermore, does the practicum that Career Step offers counts as a year of medical coding experience?

Hello,
Yes, the Career Step partnership with IOD was temporary, but Career Step still offers graduates a year of job placement assistance. It has been around for over 25 years and is a name recognized by many employers. Because of this some employers know Career Step's practicum and consider it the equivalent of coding experience, but that is not an official designation.

Regarding working from home as a new medical coder: there are some jobs out there, but they are quite competitive and working from home as a newly minted coder is definitely not something you can count on.

Regarding the CCS: Career Step realistically recommends the CCA because that coding certificate is geared towards beginners. They suggest that you have a year's coding experience before taking the CCS, but Career Step's program does meet all of AHIMA's requirements to sit for the CCS and when you go through the student forums you can find plenty of students who studied hard and passed the CCS after completing the Career Step program. The CCS exam is fill in the blank, so you just need to know your stuff inside and out.
Career Step's program allows you to work at your own pace, so if you are a self-starter who always liked to work ahead in school, you can work on it full-time you can complete the program in 4 to 6 months, but you can ask real instructors questions at any time during the process.
They have an enrollment discount going right now where you can get $500 off your tuition:

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 days ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Hello,
Yes, the Career Step partnership with IOD was temporary, but Career Step still offers graduates a year of job placement assistance. It has been around for over 25 years and is a name recognized by many employers. Because of this some employers know Career Step's practicum and consider it the equivalent of coding experience, but that is not an official designation.

Regarding working from home as a new medical coder: there are some jobs out there, but they are quite competitive and working from home as a newly minted coder is definitely not something you can count on.

Regarding the CCS: Career Step realistically recommends the CCA because that coding certificate is geared towards beginners. They suggest that you have a year's coding experience before taking the CCS, but Career Step's program does meet all of AHIMA's requirements to sit for the CCS and when you go through the student forums you can find plenty of students who studied hard and passed the CCS after completing the Career Step program. The CCS exam is fill in the blank, so you just need to know your stuff inside and out.
Career Step's program allows you to work at your own pace, so if you are a self-starter who always liked to work ahead in school, you can work on it full-time you can complete the program in 4 to 6 months, but you can ask real instructors questions at any time during the process.
They have an enrollment discount going right now where you can get $500 off your tuition:

Barb24, why are you posting advertisements for a competitor school (for which you work) in a thread for Andrews School? Isn't that a bit much, if not inappropriate or even unethical? Will you stop at nothing to get your referral payments?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 days ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Hello,

The CCS exam is fill in the blank, so you just need to know your stuff inside and out.

It is obvious that you have never taken it because it isn't "fill in the blank."

The CCS is considered to be the most difficult coding certification exam. The only only online program that teaches enough for their students to pass the CCS is Andrews. They have a 97% pass rate on it. Their students do not have to work for a year first, nor do they have to study on their own or take another course before attempting it.

Employers have not accepted the CCA, since they have few positions for coding trainees. They need fully certified coders who have a CCS.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

4 days ago

Purpose Fulfilled in San Antonio, Texas said: I am very interested in becoming a medical coder, however, I have several questions in regards to Career Step. Someone just posted that Career Step doesn't work with the IOD company that will train them for the CCS. Is this true? This was the only reason I was interested in doing Career Step.

The IOD program ended years ago. Competition for it was intense - students of any school were eligible.

Andrews simply teaches enough for their students to pass the CCS. Their pass rate on it is 97%.

Andrews students also pass the CPC. They take that exam around the end of the program's third (of four) modules, so they are employable at that point. Again, 97% pass rate.

Andrews is honest about how long it takes to complete the course. They do not underestimate and then offer to sell you expensive "extensions" when you run out of time. They also don't disguise the length or cost by leaving necessary material like ICD-10-PCS off and selling it separately. EVERYTHING is included in Andrews with no hidden fees.

Andrews takes 12 months, with some students taking 18. It just takes that long to grasp the volume of material that they teach. Schools claiming 4 months don't teach as much or are misrepresenting it make you think you can do it faster and charge extension fees.

Employers typically will NOT accept ANY school's training of ANY kind as "work experience." The AAPC, however, will accept ANY school's 80-hour coding program to waive 1 year of their 2-year experience requirement on the CPC. The AAPC will waive another year if you complete their (AAPC's) "Practicode" course. AAPC will not accept any other school's practicum for that.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

"Employers typically will NOT accept ANY school's training of ANY kind as "work experience." The AAPC, however, will accept ANY school's 80-hour coding program to waive 1 year of their 2-year experience requirement on the CPC. The AAPC will waive another year if you complete their (AAPC's) "Practicode" course. AAPC will not accept any other school's practicum for that."

Thank you for your honest reply "CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida". So I am assuming Andrews Medical Coding school as an 80-hour coding program to waive 1 year of their 2-year experience requirement on the CPC. Then I can use the "Practicode" course to waive another year. This makes sense now and Andrew's seems like a great program!

May I ask if you were able to gain employment after Andrew's and receiving your CCS and CPC without any prior experience?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Barb24, why are you posting advertisements for a competitor school (for which you work) in a thread for Andrews School? Isn't that a bit much, if not inappropriate or even unethical? Will you stop at nothing to get your referral payments?

Unlike you, who is posting misinformation about Career Step, I do not have a problem with the Andrews program, nor do I make comments disparaging it, I was simply responding to the poster's specific questions about Career Step. Also, I do not work for Career Step, I am a satisfied customer. The link I post is a referral link that Career Step gives to students to share if they want. I like to share it because I have a few friends who wasted time and money on "scammy" online programs. I have never said that Andrews is a bad program, there are a few quality online programs out there.

To answer your misinformation about Career Step, in some of your other posts:
1. ICD-10 PCS IS completely included in the tuition price, it is a lie to say that it is sold separately.
2. The 4 to 6 months completion time is based the fact that the program consists of 640 hours of curriculum. With 4 months of full-time study, meaning 30-40 hours per week, 4 to 6 months is a possible completion time. This is ideal for students who want to get started in their new career as soon as possible. The curriculum brochure clearly lists the curriculum and potential students can evaluate how long they can reasonably spend per week and estimate their completion time. They can easily get a quote about how much an extension will cost if they believe they will need longer than 12 months and compare that to the Andrews price. Everything is very upfront and in no way trying to trick anyone.
3. Career Step's program includes 120 hour coding practicum and an additional 17 hours of PCS practicum.
Please check the Career Step site to verify and don't believe someone who hasn't completed the program.

Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

Purpose Fulfilled in San Antonio, Texas said: "Employers typically will NOT accept ANY school's training of ANY kind as "work experience." The AAPC, however, will accept ANY school's 80-hour coding program to waive 1 year of their 2-year experience requirement on the CPC. The AAPC will waive another year if you complete their (AAPC's) "Practicode" course. AAPC will not accept any other school's practicum for that."

Thank you for your honest reply "CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida". So I am assuming Andrews Medical Coding school as an 80-hour coding program to waive 1 year of their 2-year experience requirement on the CPC. Then I can use the "Practicode" course to waive another year. This makes sense now and Andrew's seems like a great program!

May I ask if you were able to gain employment after Andrew's and receiving your CCS and CPC without any prior experience?

Andrews is considerably longer than 80 hours, so, yes they do qualify to remove one year of the experience requirement for the CPC.

I found employment with just the CPC, before even finishing school or taking the CCS. Andrews students often do that. They have good experiences in the job market. They don't usually need to do Practicode, either. The school does not recommend it although they don't object to it. The school also does not recommend internships. Their students just don't need it. Their training enables them to do well on employer exams, which is a big advantage. Once they have the CCS, employers really begin to overlook any lack of experience. There will always be employers who are reluctant to hire new coders, but the credentials that Andrew students have really do make a difference.

If you use Facebook, try the Medical Coding Forum. It is an Andrews forum where you can talk to students, graduates, instructors, and

One thing nice about Andrews is that they don't pay for testimonials or referrals.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois said: Unlike you, who is posting misinformation about Career Step,

I am very careful not to say anything specifically about that school. I may post information about other coding schools in general, but I never said that they were specifically about that school. If you think you see them in those comments, well ...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

Thank you for you and everyone's input. I will definitely look into the Medical Coding Forum.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

3 days ago

CCS, CPC in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am very careful not to say anything specifically about that school. I may post information about other coding schools in general, but I never said that they were specifically about that school. If you think you see them in those comments, well ...

Perhaps I misinterpreted, but your comments about other programs not including ICD-10 PCS and misrepresenting completion times were a reply to someone's specific question about Career Step, so it felt implied that Career Step didn't include this component, and misrepresented things, so I wanted to clarify. If you were truly just being general then I apologize.

The CareerStep Coders Facebook group is also a very supportive and helpful group.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

monica_new_coder in Cincinnati, Ohio

12 hours ago

I graduated from Career Step because I wanted to work in the medical coding dept. and my employer required I have a CPC. Then I moved, so I took the CCS so I'd have more employment options. Was able to pass CCS, but honestly, most jobs I applied for I could have gotten with the CPC, a lot of them wanted CPC or CCS, hardly any only required the CCS. Maybe its different in other areas of the country.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.