CCA exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1501 to 1550 of 1675)
Page:  « First « Previous   28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next »   Last »

mm82 in Eatontown, New Jersey

28 months ago

Hi I just got my Associates degree in Health Admin and Medical Records. I want to get my coding license but have no idea what steps to take, I am hesitant to join the chapter since its 300 a yr and i am not sure if they really do help, My college was online and not a huge help in guiding me I wanted to get the books on my own and study what do u all suggest .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cris in Saint Louis, Missouri

28 months ago

If you go to AHIMA's website they and click on certifications, they give you all the info you need. What books, info on any exams, costs, and what you need to qualify to take the different exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

arcticbabe2006 in Reno, Nevada

28 months ago

A in Norwalk, California said: I took the CCA test Yesterday, it was very challenging , I failed I got 288 passing score was 300 , it is a very challenging test the actual exam questions are harder than the practice book, mostly because they try and confuse you with the answers because all of them can be possible answers but there is only one right one. If you really study though it can be accomplished. I am going I try again , just going to give myself sometime to study more!

I took the CCS-P in December, failed by 11 pts...i was devastated. It's so expensive to take whether an AHIMA member or not...I'm attempting the CCA in the upcoming weeks. I'm currently an outpt coder in a hospital. Never coded inpatient at all...i feel very confident but i have horrible anxiety when it comes to test taking. The CCS-P was hard, i was clock watching and waiting for these 'case studies' which there were 13, by the time i got to them i had 1hr 15min left..i panicked and suffered. Stay calm, at least we both know what to expect on the next exam. i'm determnined to get my CCS-P and/or my CCA and expand my career in this field. Good Luck to you, hope to see your results!~

glgcoder in Roseville, California

28 months ago

Passed my CCA today! My goal is getting the CCS but wanted to start out with the CCA, just to see what level I was at. For all of you starting out though, I wouldn't waste my time with the CCA. Yes, sad but true that most places that hire coders, don't even really recognize it. I feel it's more of a stepping stone and gaining the experience of going thru the testing process. But now that I have passes this gives me more confidence to go for the CCS. Good luck to all that are trying to achieve this goal!

jat124 in Missoula, Montana

28 months ago

glgcoder in Roseville, California said: Passed my CCA today! My goal is getting the CCS but wanted to start out with the CCA, just to see what level I was at. For all of you starting out though, I wouldn't waste my time with the CCA. Yes, sad but true that most places that hire coders, don't even really recognize it. I feel it's more of a stepping stone and gaining the experience of going thru the testing process. But now that I have passes this gives me more confidence to go for the CCS. Good luck to all that are trying to achieve this goal!

Your post is a bit confusing to me. You said that for people starting out that we should not take the CCA. But then you said that the CCA is a stepping stone for gaining experience. Confused?! Congrats on passing, though.

Ray Simeond in Worthington, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Might be good to keep things in perspective.

This forum has 31 pages right now. All of us have opinions. This forum is mixed with facts, information, and misinformation. It is true that the CCA is the lowest level of medical coding certification. In MOST cases, it will NOT get you your first coding job. But, there are exceptions. And, very importantly, it indeed is a stepping stone. As some of us have posted over and over again, you first need to get your foot in the door of HIM/medical records. Once INSIDE, you can more easily move laterally into your first medical coding position.

The CCS is a quantum leap over the CCA. I currently have the CCA, and it is disappointing how disrespected and even unknown it is. But, I have been warned by people (including an AHIMA rep), that I dare not take the CCS until I have actual medical coding experience. I am not going to put down hundreds of dollars to take the CCS exam when I have no chance of successfully coding the difficult cases on it. After I have been doing coding long enough, for sure I will go after the CCS and get it.

Again, maybe we should all keep things in perspective. Like most things in life, it's usually not an all or nothing proposition. The CCS is not obtainable at the beginning for most of us. And just ask those who have failed the CCA about how hard that son of a gun really is. IMO, start out with the CCA, and then move up to the CCS when you are ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Coder in California in Morgan Hill, California

28 months ago

jat124 in Missoula, Montana said: Your post is a bit confusing to me. You said that for people starting out that we should not take the CCA. But then you said that the CCA is a stepping stone for gaining experience. Confused?! Congrats on passing, though.

I'm not glgcoder, but I will reply with my experience. By the way, everything Ray said in the post above is correct, and I will add that anyone thinking they can just take a certification exam and hope to get a job will be very disappointed. You need an education also, by taking classes and passed a coding program (most likely an AHIMA accredited program). I have to disagree with glgcoder on the point that the CCA will not get you a job. That is, in fact, not true for all. There is a hospital in Roseville, CA where he/she is from that does hire outpatient hospital coders (ER, observation, lab and X-ray, same day surgery) with a CCA and completion of an AHIMA accredited coding program. I know because I work for that organization. I finshed my schooling, took and passed the CCA and got a job. I decided to attempt the CCS after working as an outpatient coder for 4 months. I passed. Both tests are very hard, with the CCS being MUCH harder. The CCS not a test to take lightly, not to mention it's expensive. If I ever want to become an inpatient coder, I have my CCS, which is what is required for most inpatient coding positions.

28 months ago

As usual, what you just said can't be said any better. Please keep up the posts!

28 months ago

jat124 in Missoula, Montana said: Your post is a bit confusing to me. You said that for people starting out that we should not take the CCA. But then you said that the CCA is a stepping stone for gaining experience. Confused?! Congrats on passing, though.

Sorry it was confusing to you. When I said 'stepping stone' I was referring it was for the experience of the testing process.

28 months ago

Coder in California in Morgan Hill, California said: I'm not glgcoder, but I will reply with my experience. By the way, everything Ray said in the post above is correct, and I will add that anyone thinking they can just take a certification exam and hope to get a job will be very disappointed. You need an education also, by taking classes and passed a coding program (most likely an AHIMA accredited program). I have to disagree with glgcoder on the point that the CCA will not get you a job. That is, in fact, not true for all. There is a hospital in Roseville, CA where he/she is from that does hire outpatient hospital coders (ER, observation, lab and X-ray, same day surgery) with a CCA and completion of an AHIMA accredited coding program. I know because I work for that organization. I finshed my schooling, took and passed the CCA and got a job. I decided to attempt the CCS after working as an outpatient coder for 4 months. I passed. Both tests are very hard, with the CCS being MUCH harder. The CCS not a test to take lightly, not to mention it's expensive. If I ever want to become an inpatient coder, I have my CCS, which is what is required for most inpatient coding positions.

To coder in California in Morgan Hill - please read my post again - I did not say that a CCA would not get you a job. What I was trying to convey is that MOST places will not hire with just a CCA certification.

Ray in Pennysylvania put in the best perspective!

28 months ago

glgcoder in Roseville, California said: To coder in California in Morgan Hill - please read my post again - I did not say that a CCA would not get you a job. What I was trying to convey is that MOST places will not hire with just a CCA certification.

Ray in Pennysylvania put in the best perspective!

You are correct, you did not say that the CCA would not get you a job - my apologies. What I wanted to convey is that there are places that do recognize and hire with the CCA and that people shouldn't be discouraged from taking that test, or "waste their time with the CCA". Everyone has a different path in where they want to end up i.e., hospital inpatient (CCS) or outpatient coder (CCA), doctor's office (CCS-P), etc. The odds are against you taking the CCS - the year I took it, I think somewhere around only 45% of the people who took it passed. It is a much harder test than the CCA.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

28 months ago

Today, I took the CCA test and failed--259. I studied very hard-the Health Information Management Technology book by Merida L. Johns 3rd ed, along with the CCA Exam Prep Book 2nd ed. 20% of the test is coding-- I suggest you consider to do those first. My worst area was Reimbursement Methodologies. Most of the questions in the prep book are not on the actual exam. The prep book only helped me 5%-10%. I studied from the ahima domains given--and very little to nothing in the study materials I had prepared me for the questions on the test. Any suggestions?

28 months ago

igsanders in Katy, Texas said: Today, I took the CCA test and failed--259. I studied very hard-the Health Information Management Technology book by Merida L. Johns 3rd ed, along with the CCA Exam Prep Book 2nd ed. 20% of the test is coding-- I suggest you consider to do those first. My worst area was Reimbursement Methodologies. Most of the questions in the prep book are not on the actual exam. The prep book only helped me 5%-10%. I studied from the ahima domains given--and very little to nothing in the study materials I had prepared me for the questions on the test. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. It is very disappointing to study so hard and then not pass. But I have to disagree with your testing strategy logic. I would answer every question that you can answer within a minute or two and if it takes longer than that, choose an answer (best guess) and FLAG it and then when you are done, go back to them. That way you get the most answered that you 'know' and if for some chance you do run out of time, you have at least chosen an answer. And you can even narrow down some of the wrong answers (in my opinion, anyway).

Also what I did on the coding selection questions, I went with my strengths which is procedural (not ICD-9) coding to eliminate at least one (or even two) of the answers and then work from there.

Have you thought about getting the CPC certification thru AAPC? At least they give you one retake free, where AHIMA there are NO second chances.

Good luck and don't give up!

tami burke in Vista, California

28 months ago

I agree with doing the answers that u know first. I have been practicing the prep exam book and all my notes from school. I have even started to flag every coding question to do them at the end. They take more time for me. Time is a factor for me also. I have anxiety to timed testing. So I suggest if that is a problem to cover the timer or practice at home different strategies to see what helps you best. I too took the test back in Sept. And failed by only a few points. Its very upsetting! I will be attempting the exam again tomorrow with high hopes. I'm just going to do my best. Either I know it or I don't. Good luck with your studies.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

28 months ago

Good luck on your test tomorrow-I hope you pass!
What test prep materials are you using?

tami burke in Vista, California

28 months ago

Thank you. I really hope so too. I have been a nervous wreck for a month now. I have been using the cca exam prep cd and the notes from kaplan where I attended. Also the health information book by merida johns. The test is very analytical. Just like coding you have to pay very close attention to details. My hope is a clear head that's awake and ready for what I'm about to embark on.

28 months ago

With all due respect, I can't agree with some comments about the CCA exam or preparation for it. www.ahima.org gives more relevant (vital) info than anyone else. It is their test.

The "domains" or emphases for the CCA exam are clearly laid out in the website. The coding part of the exam is THIRTY-TWO % and healthcare reimbursement is TWENTY-THREE %. Together, they represent over half of the CCA exam.

The CCA exam is exactly 100 questions with exactly 120 minutes to answer. Most of the noncoding questions can very easily be answered in less than 1 minute each. The questions aren't easy, they can be answered easily in that time frame. Every question you answer in less than 1 minute is more seconds added to the tough coding questions you will face. Put it all together, and there is sufficient time to take the exam.

But, we must remember that only 6 out of 10 people pass the CCA exam the first time. Those stats are based on the exam before it was revised last year. The stats AHIMA gave showed that the pass rate was DROPPING before the revision. Whether the current exam is easier or harder than the forme one, I do not know. All I do know is that intense preparation is essential. AHIMA is not just giving the CCA away. Then, after the elation of actually getting it, you come crashing down when you find how disrespected the CCA is. But, it is just a step on the long hard road of becoming a medical coder. The CCS is far more important for your career. And, there is no substitute for experience. I am right now trying just to convince the director of the medical records department where I work to give me a chance in coding. In time, I believe he will.

Try not to underestimate the difficulty of the CCA exam or of getting that first medical coding position. But, once in, irrespective of politics and Supreme Court outcomes, we Americans are aging, getting sicker, and are needing more healthcare. We are on the right path.

tami burke in Huntington Beach, California

28 months ago

Hey Ray, my fellow Kaplan classmate. I took the CCA exam yesterday and PASSED! I am so relieved since I studied so hard and failed my first attempt. Its a difficult test that's for sure. Its no joke they take it very seriously w ith palm printing and pictures. I'm just glad I passed.

28 months ago

tami burke in Huntington Beach, California said: Hey Ray, my fellow Kaplan classmate. I took the CCA exam yesterday and PASSED! I am so relieved since I studied so hard and failed my first attempt. Its a difficult test that's for sure. Its no joke they take it very seriously w ith palm printing and pictures. I'm just glad I passed.

Congrats on passing! Just curious Ray and Tami - how long is the Kaplan program you took and how does it compare to the cost of the AHIMA Coding Basics program? I am taking the Coding Basics Program thru AHIMA. I have taken only one cluster so far and one of the other classes in another cluster (ICD-9 Pt I). I took the CCA last Saturday and passed. First time going thru the Pearson Vue experience....felt like I was accessing some government secret mission!!
Take care,
Ginny

28 months ago

tami burke in Huntington Beach, California said: Hey Ray, my fellow Kaplan classmate. I took the CCA exam yesterday and PASSED! I am so relieved since I studied so hard and failed my first attempt. Its a difficult test that's for sure. Its no joke they take it very seriously w ith palm printing and pictures. I'm just glad I passed.

Tammy

Awesome job my Kaplan friend! Who cares how long and hard the road was when you reach your destination! It's not that "the end justifies the means." But, I do believe "All's well that ends well."

Tami, because you live in CA, use that to your advantage. I personally spoke with "Coder in CA" last year. She was very kind to take time to tell me about her road to get into medical coding in the greater Sacramento area. OK, Tami, take her advice. The first lead I would follow is with Kaiser Permanente. Unfortunately for me, though they are in neighboring Ohio, they are not in PA. But, you have access to ENORMOUS opportunities in southern CA. As the current medical coders have posted, get inside an HIM/medical records department somewhere. That CCA might get you a medical coding position, or it might not. But, armed with the AHIMA-approved Kaplan certificate AND your CCA, you will be taken seriously in medical records. Once inside, medical coding will be in your future.

I just got the word this week that the implementation of ICD-10 has been pushed back from the 10/1/2013 date. But, it is coming, and when it does, the current shortage of medical coders will be more acute. The average age of medical coders is supposedly FIFTY-FIVE. Many current coders are expected to simply retire, rather than learn ICD-10. So, Tami, our prospects will only get better.

Again, Tami, great job. I hope your first medical coding job is straight ahead.

28 months ago

glgcoder in Roseville, California said: Congrats on passing! Just curious Ray and Tami - how long is the Kaplan program you took and how does it compare to the cost of the AHIMA Coding Basics program? I am taking the Coding Basics Program thru AHIMA. I have taken only one cluster so far and one of the other classes in another cluster (ICD-9 Pt I). I took the CCA last Saturday and passed. First time going thru the Pearson Vue experience....felt like I was accessing some government secret mission!!
Take care,
Ginny

Hi, Ginny

The Kaplan medical coding certificate program is 100% online and AHIMA-approved. I don't remember the exact cost, but including textbooks, I think you are right in the neighborhood of around 4 grand. The program is self-paced. They tell you it should take you 12 months to complete it. If your IQ is around 200, no problem. If you are a Forrest Gump type like me, it could take you as much as 18 months, or even more. I did it in 14 months.

I do not know how the cost compares with other programs. Compared to a community college, it is probably MUCH more expensive. Do not believe the propaganda from Kaplan or AHIMA or anyone else about just taking their program and you are a shoe in for a medical coding job. Nonsense.

Again, you might want to ask yourself questions about your "end game." How old are you? How far do you want to go in your career? Do you just want to be a medical coder (like an old guy like me)? Or, do you want to climb the career ladder? For what I want to do, Kaplan was a great start, but it wasn't enough. I am in an academic deathmatch right now in just a 2 year program. If I can pass it (doubtful at the moment), I never want to go back to any school again for any reason again for the rest of my days. I am too old and not bright enough to tackle college level courses. But, I am trying to overcome severe lack of experience with more education. Will it work? To be continued.

28 months ago

Ray Simeond in Worthington, Pennsylvania said: Tammy

Awesome job my Kaplan friend! Who cares how long and hard the road was when you reach your destination! It's not that "the end justifies the means." But, I do believe "All's well that ends well."

Tami, because you live in CA, use that to your advantage. I personally spoke with "Coder in CA" last year. She was very kind to take time to tell me about her road to get into medical coding in the greater Sacramento area. OK, Tami, take her advice. The first lead I would follow is with Kaiser Permanente. Unfortunately for me, though they are in neighboring Ohio, they are not in PA. But, you have access to ENORMOUS opportunities in southern CA. As the current medical coders have posted, get inside an HIM/medical records department somewhere. That CCA might get you a medical coding position, or it might not. But, armed with the AHIMA-approved Kaplan certificate AND your CCA, you will be taken seriously in medical records. Once inside, medical coding will be in your future.

I just got the word this week that the implementation of ICD-10 has been pushed back from the 10/1/2013 date. But, it is coming, and when it does, the current shortage of medical coders will be more acute. The average age of medical coders is supposedly FIFTY-FIVE. Many current coders are expected to simply retire, rather than learn ICD-10. So, Tami, our prospects will only get better.

Again, Tami, great job. I hope your first medical coding job is straight ahead.

Hi Tami, I am the person Ray spoke with. Just an FYI, I just checked the Kaiser website and there is an ER coder position open in Panorama City. Don't know if that's near you, but you would qualify if you passed your CCA and completed your coding program. It's on call or short hour, but it's a foot in the door and gives you the ability to transfer into a full time position ahead of non-employees.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

28 months ago

Congratulations on passing your CCA test. I am planning to retake the test in 45 days. If you are willing to share any of your notes that you found be very useful or if you have any good tips- please email them to me. I fail the test the 1st time but I am determined to pass next time. I am using the Health Information Management Technology book by Merida L. Johns 3rd ed, and the CCA Exam Prep Book 2nd ed to study with.
Should I also buy a PRG Study guide???
I passed the NHA. Scored 64% on the CPC. I have no experince in HIM.
igsanders001@gmail.com

28 months ago

igsanders in Katy, Texas said: Congratulations on passing your CCA test. I am planning to retake the test in 45 days. If you are willing to share any of your notes that you found be very useful or if you have any good tips- please email them to me. I fail the test the 1st time but I am determined to pass next time. I am using the Health Information Management Technology book by Merida L. Johns 3rd ed, and the CCA Exam Prep Book 2nd ed to study with.
Should I also buy a PRG Study guide???
I passed the NHA. Scored 64% on the CPC. I have no experince in HIM.
igsanders001@gmail.com

I did not use any of those books and I don't know anything about the PRG Study Guide. I actually have the CCS Exam Prep book that I studied from since obtaining the CCS is my goal. And I am taking the Coding Basics cluster courses thru AHIMA so I have the Clinical Coding Workout and the ICD-9 Coding book also....thats what probably helped me the most.

Good luck on your next test. Take care, Ginny

Tami Burke in Winchester, California

28 months ago

Thanks so much for all the advice. Yes I do live in a huge area with great opportunities. Its also a HUGE population, but with my CCA I have an advantage. WooHOO!!
I love the enthusiasm that you have and all the postitive outlook you give. I do agree that giving up is not an option. We as parents need to set examples for our children and I hope that I can push further and get into a position soon. My husband cant wait either. Haha he has been supporting me through all of this. I did have a few things get in the way and slow my progress down through school but I finished and that is what is important.
My goal for now is to first get my resume updated, then check Kaiser. I am going to apply for everything! Maybe I can get into a Medical Billing department. Anything to get the "experience" that everyone is looking for.

I plan on contacting my former instructers and letting them know the good news.

Kevin L in Hazlet, New Jersey

28 months ago

I took my CCA exam for the first time yesterday and passed! I couldn't believe I scored a 353 on it. I did not feel confident at all after I finished. I can truly say that it helped coming to this site. Ray especially was a big help. I'll give a little info about my background with the thought that it can help or inspire others.
I'm currently 36 years old. I have absolutely no work experience in the medical field. I always worked in warehouses. About 3 or 4 years ago I took a basic coding class on Saturdays that I ended up falling in love with. The teacher said I had a knack for it and should look into an HIT program. That's exactly what I did. Went to a community college that was accredited by AHIMA and offered about 90% of the classes online which I needed because I was working full time. I ended up being laid off from work and because finances became tight had to stop my schooling about three classes short of my degree. My goal now is to get into a hospital anyway I can and work my way into a coding position. I know a couple of people in hospitals already that can help, with one of them needing an outpatient coder that has hardly any requirements needed.
Since my last class I took was over a year ago the info wasn't exactly fresh in my mind so to study I went through the Johns book, Bought the CCA exam prep book and practiced the questions with and without the timer so I could have the "real testing experience".
I know the exam changes on the 31st but if anyone has questions about it I'll help as best I can.

28 months ago

All I can say is congratulations to the new CCA professionals in the ranks. I just love hearing success stories. I hope everyone will keep us posted when you get your break into that first medical records or medical coding position. It encourages the rest of us to keep pushing forward. Again, congrats to Tami and Kevin. Now, get into that workforce you've worked so hard for.

Dave in Riverdale, Georgia

28 months ago

Hi to everybody, thanks to this forum, it is very helpful, I came up here to check how lucrative radiologic technologist job is only to find about 50 people nationwide crying about how schooling to become radiologic technologist have been waste of time because there are no jobs available for them! I am thinking of changing my major to health information management here at Georgia Perimeter College, Atlanta

But my questions are, please can anyone tell me about market prospects of this course? I know the job market is thin right now but I still believe with degree in a carefully chosen carrer chances are one may be lucky ! And if it's possible after AS degree I can challenge the CCA exam?

28 months ago

Hi, Dave

HIM can be a good career, but medical coding offers far more opportunities. The problem many of us have faced is just getting that first position in HIM/medical coding.

There is a classic Catch-22 here. You need experience as a medical coder to be hired as a medical coder. But, you need to be a medical coder to get that experience. But, you won't be hired to get that experience without the experience first.... You get the idea.

As I've posted before, you might want to ask yourself some questions first. How old are you? How far do you want to go in your career? How much investment of time & education are you willing to make?

The main reason medical coding offers far more opportunities is simple: you can work for anyone in the USA from anywhere in the USA. For an old guy like me (51), working in an office full of women is not my idea of a bright future. But, becoming a medical coder and moving in time from competence to excellence is my idea of a bright future. I will be doing medical coding from my home into my older age.

There is a shortage of medical coders now, and when ICD-10 is finally implemented (whenever that is, now that 10/1/2013 no longer applies), the shortage will be greater. No matter who is in political office, no matter what will happen to our health system, medical coders are now and will be in demand. One reason I keep asking people's age is because of what is also coming. There is currently no software that allows complex automated medical coding, but it is coming someday. By the time it does, I will be fertilizer. But, for you younger coders, it may make you obsolete before your career is over. Research it all you can. Right now, medical coding is one of the 10 or 20 best careers in America.

lynn in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

CCA Tester in Duluth, Georgia said: That is a very good question. I don't know how to calculate DRGs either. And, I'm taking the test on March 31.

I did rent my 2010 CPT and ICD 9 coding books though for about $60 dollars. I'm taking the test with the intent of passing it.

I'll let you know how things go.

Where were you able to rent your books?

NorCalCPC-CGSC in Roseville, California

27 months ago

I just took the CCA last week and I don't recall anything about DRG calculations on it. I believe there was a DRG related question but nothing you had to calculate. I would not even worry about it. Good luck on your test!

lilibel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

27 months ago

Here we go. I took the CCA a couple of months ago. I did not pass. I am scare to take it again and fail it. I have been reading your comments... but really I feel well prepared for this exam. I have the main sources and I have read them. I do understand 90% of the material. Now, I am not sure how to study for this test. I have Merida book that based on the preparation manual from AHIMA cite the pages or the chapters from where the answers came from. However, I fail by 9 points! means out of 300 I got 291... about 3 questions wrong, and about 72.3% out of 75%. People if you have any suggestion of HOW to study for this test please share your thoughts. I will try ONE more time and that will be it. thanks all for your cooperation.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

27 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the Professional Review Guide for the CCA Examination by Patricia Schnering? Is this a good study guide to use? I didnt find the AHIMA CCA book very helpful.

valentine in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

I don't know about the CCA, but when I took the CCS, I did not find ANY of the books to be very helpful. They are not very similiar to the actual test and they are more of a guide of what areas to study. You might want to try the practice tests that AHIMA sells, I don't know how helpful they are since they do not offer one for the CCS. But I know that when I took the CPC, I really benefited from the practice tests AAPC offered.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

27 months ago

Has anyone heard of or have any information on: MyExamHelp.com/CCA?

leen in Pompano Beach, Florida

27 months ago

Check this web site http:// medicalcodingpro.com. I'm not sure yet to going to this web site because nobody comments and talk about this web page is from Medical Coding Pro is about review for the tests CPC, CCA.

If somebody know about it, please commets about them.

a-pinedo in Granada Hills, California

27 months ago

Good Forum, very informative. I have been coding outpatient now for about 4 years. I took a course through a community college accredited by AHIMA, however I have not yet taken any certification test. My next step would be to take the CCS (since I already have the experience) but I am terrified of the exam. Since I have no inpatient experience at all. I have bought a couple of books (one from ahima) to study and hope to take AND pass the ccs soon. Good luck to all out there, and thank you to all for all the great information/feedback.

a-pinedo in Granada Hills, California

27 months ago

Good Forum, very informative. I have been coding outpatient now for about 4 years. I took a course through a community college accredited by AHIMA, however I have not yet taken any certification test. My next step would be to take the CCS (since I already have the experience) but I am terrified of the exam. Since I have no inpatient experience at all. I have bought a couple of books (one from ahima) to study and hope to take AND pass the ccs soon. Good luck to all out there, and thank you to all for all the great information/feedback.

Cathy Long in New London, Connecticut

26 months ago

When you go take your test, do they ban your code books if you have taken notes in them? i hope not as I had instructors who suggested doing it.
Thanks for any feedback.

lu davidson in Rockford, Illinois

25 months ago

What exactly is this PRG BOOK ?????

Carol in Alvarado, Texas said: I took it last Friday and passed. No HCPCS . I used the PRG also. Actually I almost had the PRG memorized and MAYBE there were 5 similar questions. I overstudied on the payment types (APC, DRG and such), which is what the PRG seemed to emphasize. On my test, there were NO payment questions. To be honest (and not to make you nervous - but prepared) I can not explain the questions that were asked. But they were somewhat common sense. If you studied ethics and theory enough, you should not have any problems.

All tests are different. Mine had about 25 coding type questions. Probably 10 had codes and descriptions within the question. Others you had to use your book.

You'll do fine. The most difficult part is time. I went through the test with little thinking first, then went back and relooked at questions. If you spend too much time, that time is going to fly by. I only had 2 hours for my test, I don't know why some people say 2.5 hours. There is a 15 minute explanation as to how to go through the test, I don't know if they're counting that.

Good luck. You'll do fine. I would also suggest being familiar with the diabetic codes, AIDS codes, and birth/maternity issues.

25 months ago

Sandra in Bossier City, Louisiana said: I emailed it to you!

Sandra would you email me the notes as well my email is ludavid11@yahoo.com

25 months ago

fivecharms in Marquette, Michigan said: Praise the Lord....I passed!! I got a 349 and I couldn't have done it without all of your help. The information that Sandra, Cheryl, and Judee sent to me was invaluable. Thank you so much and God Bless! I am here to help anyone that needs it. Just e-mail me!! five_charms@yahoo.com

ok I'll take you up on that , I need your help. any info would be invaluable to me . thank you my email is ludavid11@yahoo.com

Karol_Haley@hotmail.com in Grenada, Mississippi

25 months ago

Sandra in Cicero, Illinois said: cAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME SOME NOTES. TOOK THE TEST IN NOVEMBER AND FAILED :( tAKING IT AGAIN SOON. pLEASE ANY NOTES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...AMADEISCIA@YAHOO.COM

Hi,
I see that over a year has past since you took you exam....I am sitting for mine this month. CCS exam. Any notes on the Domains you could possbily send me. I'M scared...Any advise would be helpful too

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina

25 months ago

Hi everyone, I've been reading all the posts here and am getting ready to graduate from an online school with my Associate's Degree in Medical Billing and Coding. I am very excited but feel that I need to prepare more before I take the exam. Two questions I have: Have any of you taken any kind of online course that goes for maybe a few months or even up to 6 months of prep type course to really learn everything needed for the exam? The program I took went way too fast to learn it all. Another question: have any of you that have taken the exam received the same exact question on it more than once? I had that happen in my class, and that doesn't seem right to me.

Mike in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

Well, I take my CCA exam next week and I'm nervous about it. I work in a billing office that needs a coder (we don't have a certified coder) and they are looking to me to become their coder. I've been taking the practice exams in the CCA Exam prep book and getting around 70-80% so I'm just barely passing so far.

I'm also in my 3rd semester in an AHIMA Certified RHIT program. I think that this exam is very difficult for a entry level certification and anyone who passes should be proud of it and in the future if I'm in a position to hire coders I count the CCA certified coder as an advantage.

Cathy Long in New London, Connecticut

25 months ago

Good luck Mike!! Let us know how you make out. I hope to take my exam in August.

igsanders in Katy, Texas

25 months ago

Mike- You may want to postpone your test date for 30-45 days. Pay the small fee to reschedule your test date, study more, retake all of your practice test and get your mock exam scores up to 85-90%. It is better to in to test less worried and with more confidence. Buy the Professional Review Guide for the CCA Examination, 2012 Edition, 1st Edition
by Patricia Schnering.

Mike in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

Well, today is the day. I will be taking the CCA exam this evening. Pretty nervous about it but my scores have gone up to 80-85% now so unless I get a run of questions that I'm not expecting I should do OK. Still, there is so much to remember for this exam and memorization isn't my strong suit. It really seems like a the exam is testing memorization skills more than reason and logic.

tami burke in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

25 months ago

Go in with confidence and be prepared to block out your surroundings. They will fingerprint you and take a picture even pat you down. Be sure you are ready or you will have to take it over. Good luck to you today!

Sally in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

Best of luck, Mike. Let us know how you do.....

Page:  « First « Previous   28  29  30  31  32  33  34  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.