CCA exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1601 to 1650 of 1669)
Page:  « First « Previous   30  31  32  33  34  Next »   Last »

Phyllis in Miami, Florida

27 months ago

YES, YOU CAN USE WRITTEN NOTES IN YOUR CODING BOOK....BUT NO POST ITS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

schizo in Spring Valley, New York

27 months ago

Are tabs ok then? Mine are simply the section name or area to find things like maybe "illus. brain"
that sort of thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

schizo in Spring Valley, New York

27 months ago

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina said: I am studying for the CCA exam and have run across this question in the PRG book. If anyone can explain why the answer is C and not A, I would appreciate it. (pg. 81)

A preterm infant is born via Cesarean section and has severe birth asphyxia. What are the appropriate codes?

A. V30.01, 765.10, 768.5
B. 765.10, 768.5, V30.01
C. 768.5, 765.10
D. 768.5

Why is the V code not used in this case?

Thank you for your help.

Did you receive any feed back on this? The only thing I can come up with is that there was more info and the birth was previously reported? From what you provided I too would think V30.01 should be the primary code, followed by the prematurity and asphyxia?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina

27 months ago

schizo in Spring Valley, New York said: I see the question has been asked but cannot find an answer?

Does AHIMA allow writing in our code books to take the CCA? I took the CPC and they encourage notes but can I use my ICD-9 and CPT code books for my CCA with all the notations in them?

Thanks!

I was told that notes are allowed in the coding books, but no highlighting is allowed. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

27 months ago

schizo in Spring Valley, New York said: Did you receive any feed back on this? The only thing I can come up with is that there was more info and the birth was previously reported? From what you provided I too would think V30.01 should be the primary code, followed by the prematurity and asphyxia?

Yes, I just heard back from the instructor of the crash course I am taking. She indicated that the answer key was incorrect, and that the answer is, in fact, A. I was also told that there has been no addenda put out. Also, since this has happened, I have read that the other PRG books have errors in them also, which makes it hard to know for sure what is correct.

If anyone has found any other questions in this PRG book that are incorrect, I would appreciate it if you would post it here to help the rest of us. I will post any others that I come across.

Thank you.

27 months ago

In addition, I happen to have the PRG for RHIA and RHIT exam, and I have found that there are some of the same exact questions in this book as in the CCA exam book. This may also be the case for the PRG CCS exam book. Therefore, you may want to check these books as well to make sure the answers are correct.

imachampion in Columbus, Georgia

26 months ago

I just took the CCA 1/19/13. I scored a 341 and PASSED on my first attempt, no medical background. I have been reading this board for the past year. I called my instructor immediately after finding out the results and she was so great. I am going to start applying next week; I will post my post my results when I something to report. I thought the test was hard, but you just have to believe that you can do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Yes you can have writing and notes in your book. They will check it to make sure there are no post its or other things stuck in there.

Does AHIMA allow writing in our code books to take the CCA? I took the CPC and they encourage notes but can I use my ICD-9 and CPT code books for my CCA with all the notations in them?

znapue in Minneapolis, Minnesota

26 months ago

Congtat! Wishing you the best of luck ahead.

26 months ago

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina said: znapue, as to your first question, I believe you have to wait 91 days to take the test again. I haven't taken it the first time, so I can't answer your second question.

I believe its 45 days.

znapue in Minneapolis, Minnesota

26 months ago

Deb in Wake Forest, North Carolina said: znapue, as to your first question, I believe you have to wait 91 days to take the test again. I haven't taken it the first time, so I can't answer your second question.

Thanks Deb and good luck to you.

MsLana220 in Jacksonville, Florida

26 months ago

imachampion in Columbus, Georgia said: I just took the CCA 1/19/13. I scored a 341 and PASSED on my first attempt, no medical background. I have been reading this board for the past year. I called my instructor immediately after finding out the results and she was so great. I am going to start applying next week; I will post my post my results when I something to report. I thought the test was hard, but you just have to believe that you can do it.

Can you let me know what is a good study guide for the CCA since you just took it?

coder0123 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

26 months ago

imachampion in Columbus, Georgia said: I just took the CCA 1/19/13. I scored a 341 and PASSED on my first attempt, no medical background. I have been reading this board for the past year. I called my instructor immediately after finding out the results and she was so great. I am going to start applying next week; I will post my post my results when I something to report. I thought the test was hard, but you just have to believe that you can do it.

can you let me know which books you used and did you take any crash course? i dont have any medical background so your info will help me preapre for the exam.

26 months ago

MsLana220 in Jacksonville, Florida said: Can you let me know what is a good study guide for the CCA since you just took it?

Faye Brown, AHIMA CCA review, and PRG CCA review books. I took a certificate coding class and graduate this past December. I took the test 4wks later. Give yourself some time to study.

26 months ago

coder0123 in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: can you let me know which books you used and did you take any crash course? i dont have any medical background so your info will help me preapre for the exam.

Faye Brown, AHIMA CCA review, and PRG CCA review books. I took a certificate coding class and graduate this past December. I took the test 4wks later. Give yourself some time to study.

dwrenn in Orlando, Florida

26 months ago

I am seeing lots of comments about notes. Can someone please forward me the notes that everyone is talking about. I just finish my course and getting prepared to take CCA. Please help.
designsbydanita@hotmail.com

26 months ago

Loyd1957 in Oviedo, Florida said: I took my test in May of 2011 and passed. Since then have not gotten one bite. Most of the job descriptions for coding always state somewhere in capitals letters: EXPERIENCE A MUST. Since I dont' have experience, they won't even look at you. I have tried gaining entrance through HIM jobs entry level, but no luck. I am volunteering at a local hospital in the medical building women's health clinic for mammography and dexa scans. Not sure what to do now. I am getting further away from coding because I don't know where to go to keep refreshed.

Hey there, Do you still have any study material?

26 months ago

Marilyn in Charleston, South Carolina said: Tanks for all the info and tips for the CCA exam. I passed!!
Marilyn

Can I request a copy of "The CCA Experience"

26 months ago

sandra in Chicago, Illinois said: amadeiscia@yahoo.com please send me some notes... Thank You
Please send me the notes, I would greatly appreciate it amadeiscia@yahoo.com

Can you forward me the notes please.

Cathy Long in New London, Connecticut

26 months ago

I agree with Lloyd. I passed my CCA on the first try but can't even get considered for a receptionist job as I have no hospital experience. I got a temp job in another field and am just going to hope that leads to something. The CCA with no experience especially appears to be worthless.

mimi in Cartersville, Georgia

26 months ago

Sheletha in Jackson, Tennessee said: I am scheduled to take my CCA exam from AHIMA in two weeks. If anyone has taken this certification or any similiar certifications, Can you please tell me what to expect. I graduated from a program a few years back and have now decided to take the certification. Will the test be multiple choice. Should I brush up on medical terminology?

yes always

Deb in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26 months ago

I had read here were someone chose to do all the coding questions first on the CCA exam, so she went directly to the end of the test and did those questions first. Have any of the rest of you tackled your exam in this way? Also, if all the tests are different, which I get the feeling they are from what I have read, how can we count on the coding questions being at the end of the test? Just wondering. I have to take my exam this coming Thursday, and I'm very nervous.

26 months ago

Deb in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I had read here were someone chose to do all the coding questions first on the CCA exam, so she went directly to the end of the test and did those questions first. Have any of the rest of you tackled your exam in this way? Also, if all the tests are different, which I get the feeling they are from what I have read, how can we count on the coding questions being at the end of the test? Just wondering. I have to take my exam this coming Thursday, and I'm very nervous.

I took it last Saturday and all the coding questions were mixed up. There would be a billing question, then a ICD-9 code question, and then maybe two CPT questions.

26 months ago

dwrenn in Orlando, Florida said: I am seeing lots of comments about notes. Can someone please forward me the notes that everyone is talking about. I just finish my course and getting prepared to take CCA. Please help.

You can put anything you want...I put a few medications that I get mixed up on. I really didn't use my notes after all because of the time limit.

26 months ago

I started writing notes in my books. My only concern is that I won't have enough to locate them when I need them in order to answer the question. If only I could remember everything...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

I meant to say my concern is that I won't have enough time...

Jessica in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

26 months ago

RINI ELIZABETH in Dubai, United Arab Emirates said: I JUST COMPLETED MY CCA AND WANT TO DO CCS, KINDLY HELP ME GET SOME IDEAS ABOUT CCS.

THE SAME BOOKS OR IT WILL CHANGE???

Hi I took my CCA and failed can you tell what book you been using to study because I been using three different CCA study guide and none of them I been working out for me. Please help. And Please email me at Gingeryue.jiang@gmail.com.
Thanks

coder0123 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

26 months ago

imachampion in Columbus, Georgia said: Faye Brown, AHIMA CCA review, and PRG CCA review books. I took a certificate coding class and graduate this past December. I took the test 4wks later. Give yourself some time to study.

Thanks for reply. I am preparing for cca exam .If u want to sell your fay brown and ahima cca review books i am interested in buying them.Sent me your email address and i will contact you.

26 months ago

I'm getting ready to take my CCA exam, or else reschedule until next month. I'm concerned about understanding all the rules when it comes to actual coding of the circulatory and respiratory systems, and the right sequencing. Can someone tell me if there are that many actual coding questions on the exam? The CCA exam prep book from AHIMA and the PRG have some very difficult coding questions in them.

Thanks.

Jessica in Saint Paul, Minnesota

26 months ago

Just wonder what books did use to prepare for that test. Because I am having hard time to prepare and so far none of the studyguide for the CCA is working out for me. Please email me back at gingeryue.jiang@gmail.com
Jessica

LMS12 in Columbia, Missouri

26 months ago

I just passed my RHIT exam last Sat., I don't have any coding experience. Should I be taking the CCA or CCS exam.

LMS12 in Columbia, Missouri

26 months ago

I just passed my RHIT exam last Sat., I don't have any coding experience. Should I be taking the CCA or CCS exam.

26 months ago

I am actually Deb in Wake Forest, but took the test in Fort Lauderdale yesterday. I passed, but I didn't feel like I was passing while I was taking it and was quite surprised when I found out that I had passed. It was the hardest test I have ever taken. Although I spent months preparing for it, studying from the PRG, Ahima's CCA prep book, and the books I had from my schooling (Casto's book on Reimbursement and John's book), I saw so many questions on the test that totally threw me. I can't recall what all they were now, but I swear they were nothing like anything I have ever read before. I did see a question that has two terms there that I hadn't seen before, clustering and linking. Someone had posted that here the other day, and I looked those terms up as they relate to health care, and I couldn't find anything about them. There were some coding questions, and because I was running out of time, I had to make a quick snap judgement in a few cases. If you know the sequencing rules, that will help to eliminate a few of the possible answers hopefully pretty quickly. Just know as much as you can and hope for the best. That's the best advice I can give. And spend your time studying according to what Ahima's Blueprint Crosswalk says, and you should be okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

M Ledbetter in Meridian, Mississippi

25 months ago

Sandra and Judee, will you send me your notes for the exam? Thanks!

mbledbet@gmail.com

M Ledbetter in Meridian, Mississippi

25 months ago

Can someone tell me if the Barry Libman CCA Exam Prep course is any good? Or do they know of an exam prep course? Thanks!!!

N Sweat in Warner Robins, Georgia

25 months ago

When I do practice tests in PRG the possible ICD-9 and CPT codes used are listed with the question so I am not having to look codes up in the books. Is that the way it is on the actual CCA exam?

25 months ago

N Sweat in Warner Robins, Georgia said: When I do practice tests in PRG the possible ICD-9 and CPT codes used are listed with the question so I am not having to look codes up in the books. Is that the way it is on the actual CCA exam?

I don't recall my exam being the same way as it was in the PRG tests. I noticed that difference when I took the exam.

tflem in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

Cpoulin in Danbury, Connecticut said: I don't know about you but I finished Medical Coding School in December of 2011 and I can't get a job. I am taking the CCA exam this Saturday, but the way it seems, in Ct. anyway you can't even get a job with these credentials. I'm very disappointed int he whole thing, I wish I took something different in school. Good luck to you.

Mane I feel the same way!!!!

Lisa in Columbus, Georgia

24 months ago

I took my CCA exam for the second time. I failed again. I reviewed for a few weeks with the PRG 2013 guide. It did no good. Not one question was on the test. I find it impossible to pass thisexam Ahima is really making alot of money off this test! Its not worth it. From looking at the scores on the Ahima website. 2798 taken the test only 1617 passed... what does that tell you. I went to school and pass the course that is good enough for me!

follybeach1969 in Charleston, South Carolina

23 months ago

tflem in Memphis, Tennessee said: Mane I feel the same way!!!!

I am retaking my test this Saturday.
This is my second attempt.
I would love if you could help me remember one of the questions that really stumped me:
surgery for tonsillectomy secondary to have something removed off the back???
Also there was one abou LCD but I cannot remember anything else about it.

znapue in Saint Paul, Minnesota

23 months ago

LMS12 in Columbia, Missouri said: I just passed my RHIT exam last Sat., I don't have any coding experience. Should I be taking the CCA or CCS exam.

Your at the top of the line. I say you are good. Congrats to you!

resha in Toledo, Ohio

22 months ago

Jeffrey in Bronx, New York said: Strateggy would work best "how to approach questions". So far most of students them passed in first attempt whoever I guide. Except those who didn't follow my instruction or couldn't develope time management skill.

Adeel Jeffrey M.D., MBA, CCA
AHIMA ICD-10 Ambassador / Trainer
adeelaj1@gmail.com

Hi, If this information is still available can you send it to me resha24@sbcglobal.net I am preparing to take the CCA

Lynn in Valencia, California

21 months ago

I'll be taking the CCA exam in August, but I don't know what study material would be the best to use. I'm almost done with my online program and they told me to just purchase the study material from AHIMA, but there's no prep material for the CCA on the website! Any suggestions on the best books and practice materials? I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

glgcoder in Roseville, California

21 months ago

Lynn in Valencia, California said: I'll be taking the CCA exam in August, but I don't know what study material would be the best to use. I'm almost done with my online program and they told me to just purchase the study material from AHIMA, but there's no prep material for the CCA on the website! Any suggestions on the best books and practice materials? I'd greatly appreciate the feedback.

My suggestion would be to buy the CCS Exam Prep and study from that and you should be fine. That's what I did last year and I passed the first time and fiound it not that difficult. That way you'll be much more prepared should you decide to take the CCS

va in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

21 months ago

Hello everyone, i will complete the AHIMA coding basics program next week and plan to start studying for the CCA exam, any advice on what books are the most helpful would be greatly appreciated.
is PRG better? or is CCA prep? thanks in advance

N Sweat in Warner Robins, Georgia

21 months ago

I passed the CCA today! I completed AHIMA coding basics last summer, and I have been coding at a hospital for almost a year now. In fact, I had to pass the CCA to keep my coding position. Next I'll start studying for the CCS.

About the books - I prefer the PRG (Professional Review Guide) CCA Guide, but if you can get the PRG CCS Guide it is actually the same as the CCA book but it includes the CCS material. I used an older PRG CCA book (2008) and the CD-ROM for practice exams.

Health Information Management Technology by Merida Johns is an excellent book for learning or reviewing reimbursement, health record and data content, compliance, privacy, etc. That book was also old (2007) and I got it cheap on Amazon.

Some people on this site (several months back) said they had very few coding questions when they took the CCA. I think the first 15-20 items on my test today were coding questions. I was relieved to make up some time with the easier questions about release of information, where to find certain things in the chart, etc. I would say at least 25-30% of my questions were coding questions though. ProProfs.com has several FREE practice quizzes that helped me a lot.

I did pay about $50 to take the AHIMA practice CCA exam, but I think I would have been fine without spending that extra money. If I had to spend the money again I would have put it toward the AHIMA CCA study guide. I have heard it is good but I didn't use it.

My #1 recommendation would be two books: the PRG study guide AND the Merida Johns book. I'm not sure if the Merida Johns book has a workbook or supplement, but if it does then would be great tool. I do own Clinical Coding Workout but did not use it much for the CCA. I will definitely be using it for the CCS

u00ckw2 in Springfield, Ohio

19 months ago

I recently passed the CCA exam with Pierson Vue testing sight in Moraine, Ohio. It was extremely hard! I studied for three months prior to signing up and then another month of studying. The study materials I used were Health Information Management Technology, An Applied Approach by Merida L. Johns 3rd edition. I also used Principles of Healthcare Reimbursement by Casto and Layman. In addition I purchased the Certified Coding Associate(CCA)Exam Prep, third Edition, by Bennett, Dorale from the AHIMA web site. It came with online assessments. Inside the cover, there is a unique scratch off code for registering for the practice tests and quizzes. Though, there wasn't one question I practiced for on the CCA exam. But, by practicing the quizzes and exams on the test site I was able to come up with a strategy for taking the real exam that worked for me.

By taking the online practice tests over and over again, I became more confident when I was ready to take the actual CCA exam. To my surprise, the CCA exam was set up very similar to the online tests. There was one question per page then click next for a new question. I didn't have to learn a new test taking process, which made things considerably less stressful. Next I skipped any question that pertained to classifications in which I had to thumb through my ICD-9-CM or CPT manuals. I answered all other questions quickly. There is a FLAG that can be used so you can refer back to the question, but I found that method too time consuming. Using the next and previous buttons was most useful for me. After completing all the questions from the first round, I went backwards using the previous button until I answered all the classification questions. Periodically, glancing at the site clock for a time check. On the last classification question there was 30 sec left, so I guessed at it. I allowed the clock to run out on it's own.
Studying and job experience is the key to passing the exam. Guess at the unknown.

kd1 in Houston, Texas

18 months ago

Hello. I am about to take the CCA exam. Would someone please send me some notes also. I would really appreciate it. kevinedow@gmail.com

typingone in Woodstock, Virginia

17 months ago

All I can say is GOOD LUCK to anyone about to take the CCA EXAM.....I just took it last Friday and it is NOTHING like the PROFESIONAL REVIEW GUIDE AT ALL......it should be against the law for them to even sell that book to study by. The CCA Exam was so misleading........one would expect the exam to be based on the PRG, at least have some questions relating to what is in that book. It was NOTHING on the exam even revelant to the Mock Exam in the PRG at all. I wasted my time buying this book. Oh, and beware of the testing site Pearson View......you'll be everything but frisked when you walk in the place. You'd think I was interviewing for a FBI job or some security position. The site I went to took my palm print in two different places within the facility. It was just crazy for just taking an entry level exam for something that had nothing to do with a security positon. One woman walked in with tabs all throughout her ICD-9-CM book and her CPT book and I had called their, the same facility and was told NO TABS ARE ALLOWED ON YOUR BOOKS AT ALL. Tell me this was fair??......I'm not saying this because I failed my exam, it was just an unreal experience, the whole ordeal. Needless to say, I will NOT be paying ANYONE another $300.00 to take an exam that had nothing on it or related to it, from the PRG. If anyone is planning to take the CCA, I sure hope you will rethink it. If you do take the exam I hope you have a better experience than I had. I never felt more disappointment in my life. Just wanted to share with all of you my experience of taking the CCA EXAM at a Pearson Vue Center. When I think of all the studying I did and for so many months, to find that nothing I had studied was anywhere related in the CCA EXAM. Even if I had passed it by some miracle, I would have still written about this experience I had. I think it's information that you all should know who are about to take the CCA exam or are even thinking about it. Just my two cents worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

debj in Wake Forest, North Carolina

17 months ago

I used the same resources as u00ckw2 mentioned and found the test to be extremely hard. I honestly found that most of the questions seemed foreign to me. However, I did pass. Even though I have no work experience in the field, I think my AA degree in billing and coding helped a lot, and I studied a lot! I was running out of time and started just quickly guessing and had no time to go back and review previous questions.

I was not allowed to have tabs in my books, so I had to remove them. They were old tabs that I just had not removed before the test and wouldn't have helped me anyway. There was no time to really review my notes once the test started. I didn't feel that I was treated poorly or unfairly, and I do understand the importance of everyone following the rules, which it appeared that the examiners were enforcing continuously. I also understand why I needed to prove who I was, as anyone could be sitting in for me.

My only advice is to really know the material, because the same questions that you studied will not be asked. You have to have the knowledge in order to apply it based on whatever the scenario might be.

Good luck!

Page:  « First « Previous   30  31  32  33  34  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.