Degree in Medical Billing/Coding but what now?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

sobermeyer87 in Lewisburg, Tennessee

32 months ago

I recently graduated with an associates degree in medical billing and coding from University of Phoenix. I am now trying to decide where to go and what to do now that I am completely done with school. I have probably read hundreds of comments/forums/discussions where people are saying how hard it is to find a job, and there is really nothing you can do without experience except start from the bottom.

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do now. Should I go ahead and study for and take the cpc test to become certified, or should I wait and just try to find a job that is more along the lines of medical billing? I am just afraid that if I pay for the study materials and test, and I pass, that I will still be rejected for coding jobs because of my lack of professional experience. There is no possible way that I can volunteer, or do an "internship" because I have a daughter, and money is very tight.

I feel competent with my knowledge of the basics in both the billing and coding, but I am just feeling scared or worried about not being able to get hired even though I have a degree and will earn my cpc (or cpc-h) certification.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Oh and I live in TN. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sobermeyer87 in Lewisburg, Tennessee

32 months ago

Why would you consider having a degree from there a problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

youngd1 in Silver Spring, Maryland

32 months ago

University of Phoenix does not appear to be accredited by Ahima or Cahiim. There are the two nationally accrediting organizations for Health Information Management careers.Since you have just completed your associate degree, you might still be able to apply it towards an accredited program. I would highly recommend that you consider Univ of Tenn Health Sciences Center. They have an entry level program where you could possibly apply those credits towards a Master Degree. Their program does NOT require a bachelors degree. Please go to their websites to learn more. In the meantime, you could try to ease your way into the career. You could try looking for jobs located in a medical setting. These include medical receptionist, unit secretary,patient accounts, billing, etc. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Acid853 in Caldwell, Idaho

12 months ago

sobermeyer87 in Lewisburg, Tennessee said: Why would you consider having a degree from there a problem?

I would say that it is an issue because U of P does not offer a Medical Billing & Coding Degree... They get people enrolled telling them that the medical billing and coding degree is under a different name but they will still obtain the education needed for billing and coding... They offer a Medical Records Degree and the enrollment advisors call it a billing and coding degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ajani in India

11 months ago

why you are thinking like company will not hire u?don't be afraid of anything just go for interview and try your best..my suggestion is to start a job at bottom and gain knowledge as much as u can in this field after switch your job after 6 month..after every switch there will be hike in your salary..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.