Do you think there will be a even high demand for coders next year in 2013?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

TippM in Florida

18 months ago

My question is with the new ICD-10 coming out in October 2014 do you think we are going to see more jobs and higher demand for medical coders next year in 2013? I live in the Florida area and I see alot of coding positions but I would like to see even more especially when I graduate next year 2013.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rubie Taylor in Dothan, Alabama

18 months ago

It seems the trend in healthcare is to wait till the last minute so if ICD-10 will open up more oppurtunities for new coders it probably won't be till 2014. Some state it will open up doors because they base it off the assumption that many people will retire when ICD-10 comes. I think also the obamacare will provide practices with more patient clients so they may need more billing/coding staff (but whether that will increase staff here or overseas, idk). Because you have to factor in outsourcing, EHRs. They will have to invest in software setup for ICD-10 and prepare for denials because people will make mistakes with the new codes. ICD-10 is already being used in india =outsourcing.They will now also have to invest millions into EHR making many facilities have to cut cost =outsourcing. EHRs will make it even easier to outsource. It will also make coders function in a more auditing like capacity which will likely make them continue to require ones to have years of exp. There will always be coders needed in the U.S. but by the looks of things the number needed will decrease as the years & technology progress. The best thing now is to get in with a hospital or a large insurance facility because they will be less likely to outsource and will prefer RHITs or RHIAs.

Sources:
pharmabiz.com/NewsDetails.aspx?aid=72477&sid=1

www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-coder/Is-Coding-Billing-Being-Outsourced-Overseas/t92820/p2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TippM in Florida

18 months ago

So pretty much it seems with the new ICD-10 system coming out in 2014 and EHR's it's best to try and get a coding position this year 2013 before all that takes place since we don't know what the demand will be for coders than, that way you will already have your foot in the door gaining experience and whatever employer you are working for will most likely be more willing to train you in ICD-10 . I graduate in the upcoming year 2013 from a AHIMA approved school around May/June in Health Information Technology and will also take my certification test ( RHIT) sometime around June 2013. I plan on working for a hospital. I'm hoping to land a coding position not long after I graduate. The thing is a lot of the schools are only teaching ICD-9 still and not ICD-10 but I called AHIMA myself to ask which one will be on the certification test (RHIT) around the time I graduate and they told me ICD-9. I have heard ICD-10 is much easier than ICD-9. I don't understand how people in India are already using ICD-10 but the US is just implementing it in 2014.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Benami in Watertown, Massachusetts

16 months ago

TippM in Florida said: So pretty much it seems with the new ICD-10 system coming out in 2014 and EHR's it's best to try and get a coding position this year 2013 before all that takes place since we don't know what the demand will be for coders than, that way you will already have your foot in the door gaining experience and whatever employer you are working for will most likely be more willing to train you in ICD-10 . I graduate in the upcoming year 2013 from a AHIMA approved school around May/June in Health Information Technology and will also take my certification test ( RHIT) sometime around June 2013. I plan on working for a hospital . I'm hoping to land a coding position not long after I graduate. The thing is a lot of the schools are only teaching ICD-9 still and not ICD-10 but I called AHIMA myself to ask which one will be on the certification test (RHIT) around the time I graduate and they told me ICD-9. I have heard ICD-10 is much easier than ICD-9. I don't understand how people in India are already using ICD-10 but the US is just implementing it in 2014.

India is using ICD10 for census reporting. USA will be using it for reimbursement.

ICD10 is significantly more complex in the granularity of the codes. There will be a big opportunity for accurate medical record documentation to support the new coding descriptions.

If you learn ICD10 now, there's great opportunity to help hospitals or health plans with their ICD10 implementation strategy. Most of them are ramping these projects up, so it's a great time to get into the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mhowling in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

There is absolutely no doubt that there will be a demand for coders and designers. Look at this article from career profiles and you will understand exactly why. More companies are going digital and because of this there is a higher demand for web designers and coders. You can read the blog post and more by following this link.www.careerprofiles.com/news/marketing/demand-for-graphic-designers-rise/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.