Employers -- How do you look at degrees from Devry, University of Phoenix, and other similar schools?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Heather in Coppell, Texas

52 months ago

Hoapres, I had this same exact question. Will my credits transfer to another university if I wanted to do a B.S. in HIM? I called University of Cincinnati and spoke to an admissions advisor/rep. To get into their program you need to have an associates degree in HIT. It does not matter where as long as it is CAHIIM accredited. They will accept all of your classes, for profit or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Branford, Connecticut

52 months ago

I think a lot of people get their AAS from schools like DeVry then when they get a job in their field they continue on their education with other schools for their BA. A lot of companies offer tuition reimbursement only for the field they are employed in so this helps solve a big dilemma for people that need the tuition assistance. This allows them to have a better paying job and still continue their education.

I actually had to interview several people so far that have HIT/HIM careers in the field and the president of the NJHIMA was a lady that started her career later in life as well. She went to a CC but when she got out with her AAS she started in the file room at a big well known hospital. She worked hard and moved up the ladder and look where she is now. But hence she still had to start at the bottom even though she went to a brick and mortar school. I also interviewed the Coordinator for Audit and Quality Monitoring and oversees the manager for the release of information department and neither of them not once made me feel my education or I was ever inferior because I was attending DeVry. You will always see "education snobs” that feel their degree is better no matter even if you got it at a brick and mortar school. But trust me there are people out there that are in positions were you want to work that understand that people come from all walks of life and education and might have had to obtain their degrees later in life like so many people are. They also know how hard it is to attend classes while holding down and job and family and see people that are willing to do that to education people that are hard workers and can balance workloads successfully. If you are working a full-time job, raising a family and still don’t care if it takes you 4 years or more to get AA,S then that is great. The HIT/HIM online programs whether DeVry or online CC’s have to be CAHIMA approved, which means either program has to pass the same standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

52 months ago

It's very sad but read many of these bad schools' graduates actually decided to omit their graduate degree on their resume due to the prevalent discrimination from employers. I remember the first time (20+ years ago) I actually heard about UoP was when an engineering manager commented to me that how embarrassing it was to have only 1 degree and that's from UoP! Subsequently I heard and read so much negative and horrible experience the students suffered after obtaining their only degree and graduate degree -- that not only they couldn't compete in the job market but got stuck with the stigma and student loan.

I completely understand the employers' negative view of these type of schools -- poor quality on both the schools and students who are perceived as lazy .... just want a quickie diploma which is really equivalent to one that you can buy online for a small fee. My colleague is a instructor at UoP and honestly, she's a joke in our dept and it's pathetic she's allowed to teach the same subject matter that she clearly is not qualified for....

UoP's aggressive and harmful recruiting (student) tactics is well publicized, they know the slim job prospects for their graduates and their questionable ability to pay off their loans -- which resulted in taxpayers forking over our hard-earned money to enrich UoP executives.

I was 40, divorced with a child and worked full time when I graduated from california state, I could have grab my degree from UoP but my common sense would not allow me to even consider it for one second. It took me 8 years but I sure glad I did it the legit way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy B in Malvern, Ohio

33 months ago

Debbie in Madison, Connecticut said: Employers -- How do you look at degrees from Devry, University of Phoenix, and other similar schools? I am wondering how employers look at these online schools verses a degree from a brick and mortar school, community college , or four-year college? I want to get my AAS in Health Information Technology and am torn between a community college's online program versus Devry.

Debbie

Debbie I graduated with my Associates in Health Information Technology from DeVry in March 2013, my school loans came to an outstanding 41,000 dollars, and that was wihout taking the certification from AHIMA. The good thing is Devry pays for your first exam through AHIMA.Secondly, I haven't been able to find a job in my field in Ohio. All jobs for Medical Billing and Coding require the certification and a BA in Health Information Technology. Good luck. I start classes again this Fall for a BA in HIT Administration, and it will cost another 47,000 dollars. Seems like 88,000 dollars is alot for only making 32,000 dollars a year before taxes??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Bulky in Phoenix, Arizona

19 months ago

II would like to offer readers the benefit of having over 10 years-experience with Online education as an Instructor and Course Designer. Anyone who wants to challenge my comments, please have the guts to tell us your credentials prior to making your challenge.
Let me be blunt, do not, I say again do not attend any for profit school (online or on campus). As more and more traditional Colleges and Universities develop Online programs, there are many, many options for people who can only attend college online. I have heard scores of stories from my own former students who could not get a job in their chosen field because they attended a “for profit” College/University. Some of the "for profits" are in real trouble with the Government and a number are in danger of losing both their accreditation as well as their access to student loan programs. There are many, many problems with the “for profits”; chief among these is getting employers to consider them “real schools”. For example, one of the largest "for profits" is infamous for continuing to pull money out of student loan accounts after students have withdrawn from their school. The end-result is the student incurs more debt for classes they never took. Check postings on the internet BEFORE you even contact the school. The "for profits" are no longer about education, they are about revenue generation. They donate MASSIVE amounts of money to political causes and that's why the industry has not been policed better. Look at their graduation rates too...if it is below 65 %, don't even bother with them. Here's is very simple way to determine if an Online school is legit and attending will help your career; find out if their students take exams. Exams are the single most important method to measure learning and if a school does not give students exams, despite any of their claims, it is almost impossible to measure if real learning has take place...employers know this fact and your resume will be tossed out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

joey66215 in Gulfport, Mississippi

13 months ago

Ryan in Friendswood, Texas said: Stay away from the for profits like DeVry, ITT, Herzing, WGU. All these folks want is your $ and do not care about quality of education . There are cc going to total online programs. Check www.CAHIIM.org in your state and select yes for distance education.

Folks tell me what school is not for profit? Go in and ask to take a free class.. Every school wants money.. You have schools that are subsidized by the state/city and or county governments then they also get Title IV funding or students pay out. Private schools - Get funding from Title IV or out of pocket cost.
This whole "for profits" thing is silly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RHIA in Saint Petersburg, Florida

13 months ago

Ryan in Friendswood, Texas said: Stay away from the for profits like DeVry, ITT, Herzing, WGU. All these folks want is your $ and do not care about quality of education . There are cc going to total online programs. Check www.CAHIIM.org in your state and select yes for distance education.

Western Governors University (WGU) is not a "for profit" university like the others you listed.

It is, in fact, a highly respected school. Their RHIA in health information management/health informatics is one of the best in the country. It is regionally and CAHIIM accredited to teach an RHIA program. Their graduates have a 100% pass rate on the RHIA exam and also graduate with an AHIMA coding certification and a number of Microsoft computer programming certifications.

It is very low cost and can be completed in less time than a bachelor's at other universities because it is self-paced.

The only negative is that they do not accept everyone and you have to actually learn all the material, because they are competency-based. It is a lot more work than at most colleges, but that is why their graduates pass the RHIA. They get great jobs in informatics, data analytics, and other new HIM fields, too.

(Just fyi, the pass rate on the RHIA for graduates of other colleges is less than 50%. WGU is 100%.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

13 months ago

joey66215 in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Folks tell me what school is not for profit? Go in and ask to take a free class.. Every school wants money.. You have schools that are subsidized by the state/ city and or county governments then they also get Title IV funding or students pay out. Private schools - Get funding from Title IV or out of pocket cost.
This whole "for profits" thing is silly.

c
I agree.
They just want you to think they don't get anything out of pushing you into an already-saturated field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Decemberist in Killeen, Texas

12 months ago

Bean Counter -

What is your suggestion to a military spouse who is only able to find a job they are grossly overqualified for due to the fact their partner is stationed in an city where you only find an abundance of strip clubs, pawn shops, tattoo parlors and chain restaurants? There is a community college here, but how do you obtain a Bachelor's degree without an online school? I only ask as you seem to morally and educationally superior to the so-called lazy students who lack common sense. How should one go about spending 8 years on a 4 year degree when they move every 2 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RHIA in Saint Petersburg, Florida

12 months ago

You could consider the RHIA in Informatics from Western Governors University. It would only take you about 2-1/2 years and 10 or 12k. It is not a diploma mill or for-profit. Their pass rate on the RHIA is 100%, I think. You could then get a remote job in coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cosmogal in Leesburg, Florida

8 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: Stay away from these schools, for a long time now, employers despise them, many companies refuse to include them in their education reimbursement program... one VP of my brother's company once angrily commented "why are we getting all these resumes from applicants with U of Phoenix degree?!?"

Their nasty recruiting tactics resulted in the wasting taxpayers' money -- because many of their students defaulted on their student loans and we, the taxpayers end up paying... while the filthy rich founder of U. of Phoenix and his son bought mansions in Malibu...

You cannot default on students loans! You cannot even put them in bankruptcy! If they are government backed student loans they are not allowed in bankruptcy and they will apply liens on homes, bank accts and take any tax return where there is a refund.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Sumter, South Carolina

2 months ago

I am a working person and find it very hard to get a quality education in the traditional non-profit school as they require in school testing at unreasonable hours. I also have been very challenged by Keller School of Management with my online courses. I am definitely not a lazy person in the least. I always give a 150%, therefore I think employers will look at this as a positive thing that I am trying to improve myself professionally and personally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.