Is AAPC worth the money? Please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

83 months ago

***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

83 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: ***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

I do see now that AHIMA does have classes but I still need a Human Anatomy and Physiology course and pass it with a "C" first.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

83 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

83 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

83 months ago

Thank you for the info.

As far as a work from home no. Right now I make just above minimum wage 8.00 hourly, I used to make 4.50 an hour more then I do now. So I am getting killed my commute time has doubled (1 hour one way) and I am in a seasonal only job.

I have an aunt trying to get me in a facility that does hospice care. I have over 7 years in accounting, and billing, AP's/AR'S and book keeping experience. I have been trying to get in at a hospital or physicians office, medical supply and other Medical related jobs.

I just see a lot of people talking about AHIMA and nothing on AAPC that was my only worry thanks for the info all!!

This way I have been told if I had some education I would be able to get a job no problem.

I am just low on money since losing my job there isn't much out their for work. They are starting to hire people for less and less money.

Thanks again!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

83 months ago

Do they have any kind of payment plan by chance, I have been looking and haven't found a thing yet!

Thanks so much!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

redhead69 in State College, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

I would like to do remote medical billing, data entry from home, either full or part time. I can not find a company that hires to do this kind of work from home. Any help any one could give me would be great. I have been doing medical billing for over 7yrs now so I have a lot of experence in the billing field.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Coder1 in Warren, Ohio

12 months ago

This course now includes the workbook. Before it was just online and video instruction. Now it includes the 400 page workbook and online and video instruction for those that prefer to have an actual book to look at as well. medicalcodingpro.com/medical-coding-certification-prep-course. Plus monthly live Q&A webinars have just been added.

Here is what one of the students said about the course: "... I am kicking myself for paying out so much money on my Los Angeles AAPC course , when actually yours is more informative and better laid out." K Taglianetti.

There are more reviews on the website. Save money, get the same quality instruction.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Auburn Hills in Flint, Michigan

12 months ago

Coder1 in Warren, Ohio said: This course now includes the workbook. Before it was just online and video instruction. Now it includes the 400 page workbook and online and video instruction for those that prefer to have an actual book to look at as well. medicalcodingpro.com/medical-coding-certification-prep-course . Plus monthly live Q&A webinars have just been added.

Here is what one of the students said about the course: "... I am kicking myself for paying out so much money on my Los Angeles AAPC course , when actually yours is more informative and better laid out." K Taglianetti.

There are more reviews on the website. Save money, get the same quality instruction.

did you take this class if so did you pass and did you get a job.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Leigh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: ***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

I'm looking for the same information if you can help

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

shawn0798 in Baltimore, Maryland

8 months ago

Learn Medical Coding LLC(learnmedicalcoding.com) offers courses approved by the AAPC and AHIMA. Both organizations are great! I have taught the AAPC course for more than 5 years and the AHIMA program for about 3 years. Students do very well with our courseS. More than 85 percent of the students pass the exam.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

8 months ago

Coursework from the certifying bodies themselves (AAPC and AHIMA) is available, but their courses tend to be aimed at those who already have a medical background/education. They do not offer a comprehensive program for people who are new to the medical field. AHIMA offers courses in coding basics, specialty areas and exam prep and the AAPC offers a packaged course aimed at preparing you for their CPC exam, but it doesn't cover all the education you need to qualify for AHIMA's CCS exam. In fact the course syllabus recommends as a prerequisite a background in medical terminology and anatomy, so you would have to find that course and take it separately.

Career Step's Medical Coding program is AHIMA approved so you know you will be getting all the coursework you need to qualify you to sit for the certifying exams. In addition, the program includes over 120 hours of practicum so you are ready for the exams. They have been a leader in the field for over 20 years.
The comprehensive program is completely online and self-paced so you can study on your own, but with plenty of access to student support instructors and graduate advisers for when you complete the program.

They also offer 3 and 12 payment plans to help you pay for your training as you go instead of all at once. And the cost of tuition includes a voucher for one certification exam.

Now is a great time for newly minted coders because there is currently a shortage of medical coders to do a mandated major change-over to a new, more complicated coding system.

Career Step will often offer an incentive program, like a tuition credit or free iPad if you enroll before the end of the month:
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

IloveCalifornia in Salt Lake City, Utah

8 months ago

Well, from personal experience, AAPC is a complete joke. I work as a medical biller, and I was looking for ICD-10-CM education. I did finish the AAPC course, and I was able to put it on my resume. However, I feel that this so-called education is a complete WASTE of money.

When I was ordering the course, I was told that there would be instructor support. HOWEVER, after the course began:
1.) When I struggled with some materials, AAPC told me that this course was just for self-study. There would be ZERO instructor support. So then, what the hell's the point of the course? I could have just bought a book to train myself.
2.) The training manual of this AAPC ICD-10-CM course is a complete joke. Most of the time, the book just repeats the whole coding guidelines WITHOUT providing any examples. What's the point?
3.) Even worse, there are so many errors. Other coders and billers reviewed these errors and told me that I should bring them to AAPC's attention. So I did relay the information to AAPC, and, guess what, NO ONE replied.

What a joke for an organization. Long story short, I am now an AHIMA member. I would be finishing up my bachelor's degree in HIM and sitting for the RHIA exam.

I would NEVER buy another book published by AAPC. For AHIMA's books, if there are errors, their author team did respond to me if I express any concerns.

For AAPC, the quality control is nonexistent.

I know a lady who teaches CPC boot camp. Even the 2016 AAPC CPC study guide's anatomic figures' spellings are wrong. This AAPC group is just a complete JOKE. By the way, AAPC holds CPC exams in other countries, and that will encourage OUTSOURCING.

Those Americans who support AAPC would get a slap in the face in the end when more coding jobs are outsourced to other countries.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

nana in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

I have been searching for information on medical coding, the information is overwhelming. The two online schools I'm looking into is Careerstep or AAPC.

Ilovecalifornia; why did you go with AAPC instead of say other online course programs?

Can anyone give me clear details especially since I have no medical background. I've worked at a medical supply company for 5 years as a file clerk, that's as far my medical experience goes.

Merci beaucoup

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

barbara_medicalbiller in Bolingbrook, Illinois

3 months ago

I feel everyone's pain. I ran into the same issue when I finished the program. Book smart but no hands on. I agree just got your foot in the door. My first job in healthcare was medical biller and/or posting. Then things took off from there. If your good with numbers it's a pretty easy job to obtain

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

3 months ago

Career Step's program is better than AAPC because of the support you will get during and after the course. It is not just self-study, you will have access to teachers anytime you have questions and the portal is very user-friendly.
Afterwards you get graduate support in helping you prepare a resume and find a job.

If you enroll before the end of the month you can get up to $500 off your tuition:
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

StephanieCecchini in Salt Lake City, Utah

2 months ago

Hi IloveCalifornia --I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I've been AAPC VP of Products since June---and a member of AAPC for 20 years. Would you contact me? We care about our members and the healthcare community ---we work hard to get things right and I want to understand what your experience was. My email is stephanie.cecchini@aapc.com or you can reach me at www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniececchini/

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

tridoc1005 in Garland, Texas

9 days ago

I agree with the comments that have been shared regarding AAPC. The class that I attended was only geared towards taking tests where the questions were copied directly from the books completing the chapter tests from the book and then taking the test questions/answers and marking your coding book so that you would have the correct answer when you take the test. No effort was made to explain what was being looked for to make the decision as to WHAT to code and why. Comment was you'll pick that up when you actually begin working as a coder. My class was in DFW area and cost me $1800.00

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.