Is AAPC worth the money? Please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

53 months ago

***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: ***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

I do see now that AHIMA does have classes but I still need a Human Anatomy and Physiology course and pass it with a "C" first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

53 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

53 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Thank you for the info.

As far as a work from home no. Right now I make just above minimum wage 8.00 hourly, I used to make 4.50 an hour more then I do now. So I am getting killed my commute time has doubled (1 hour one way) and I am in a seasonal only job.

I have an aunt trying to get me in a facility that does hospice care. I have over 7 years in accounting, and billing, AP's/AR'S and book keeping experience. I have been trying to get in at a hospital or physicians office, medical supply and other Medical related jobs.

I just see a lot of people talking about AHIMA and nothing on AAPC that was my only worry thanks for the info all!!

This way I have been told if I had some education I would be able to get a job no problem.

I am just low on money since losing my job there isn't much out their for work. They are starting to hire people for less and less money.

Thanks again!!!!!!

53 months ago

Do they have any kind of payment plan by chance, I have been looking and haven't found a thing yet!

Thanks so much!!

redhead69 in State College, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

I would like to do remote medical billing, data entry from home, either full or part time. I can not find a company that hires to do this kind of work from home. Any help any one could give me would be great. I have been doing medical billing for over 7yrs now so I have a lot of experence in the billing field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.