Is AAPC worth the money? Please help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan

87 months ago

***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

Please help I am desperate

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: ***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I am in dire need of help. I have a seasonal job that ends in mid October, it doesn't start back up until Mid December (depending on snow) I don't make enough to make this job worth it. I have to borrow money to make it to work and I just cover my house payment and car payment.

I want to do Medical Billing and Coding. I see AAPC offers online courses cheapest basic one is almost 2000.00. My question for everyone is AAPC the way to go?

I found out 2 local colleges (both an hour or more away from my home) offer. I want to do online only. The one closer college is kind of close to my current job the thing is I can't afford to deal with daycare at the moment my parents are watching my son. It offers some classes online some on campus. They showed two choices of places to get certified AHIMA (No classes through them) and AAPC (which have the classes)

Has anyone went through AAPC and since they are a place you can get certified will clinics and offices recognize them.

I do see now that AHIMA does have classes but I still need a Human Anatomy and Physiology course and pass it with a "C" first.

Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

87 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

Good Luck

Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

87 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said:

Here is the thing with coding, the field is over saturated with new grads with no experience and employers usually prefer to hire someone with 2 years experience. Many new grads find themselves with no experience and have a hard time with someone giving them the opportunity to get the experience needed.

The solution to this problem is to get a job else where in the field (it is actually ideal if you can get a job while taking your classes) such as medical records, front desk, unit secretary, billing, anything that will help you gain experience and knowledge in medicine.

after you put in your time, leverage that experience for a coding job. Once you get that first coding job there are so many opportunities as there is actually a shortage of certified and experienced coders.

Make sure you get certified, to compete in this field, it is a neccesity.

one more thing, you mention a child care issue, please do not take these classes because you think it will allow you to be able to work from home and save you on day care. There are remote (home) coding positions, but remote employers ONLY hire certified coders with 3-5 years coding experience.

It can be done, but not right away, so please keep that in mind when deciding to proceed with any coding program.

Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thank you for the info.

As far as a work from home no. Right now I make just above minimum wage 8.00 hourly, I used to make 4.50 an hour more then I do now. So I am getting killed my commute time has doubled (1 hour one way) and I am in a seasonal only job.

I have an aunt trying to get me in a facility that does hospice care. I have over 7 years in accounting, and billing, AP's/AR'S and book keeping experience. I have been trying to get in at a hospital or physicians office, medical supply and other Medical related jobs.

I just see a lot of people talking about AHIMA and nothing on AAPC that was my only worry thanks for the info all!!

This way I have been told if I had some education I would be able to get a job no problem.

I am just low on money since losing my job there isn't much out their for work. They are starting to hire people for less and less money.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Do they have any kind of payment plan by chance, I have been looking and haven't found a thing yet!

Thanks so much!!

Reply - Report abuse

redhead69 in State College, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I would like to do remote medical billing, data entry from home, either full or part time. I can not find a company that hires to do this kind of work from home. Any help any one could give me would be great. I have been doing medical billing for over 7yrs now so I have a lot of experence in the billing field.

Reply - Report abuse

Coder1 in Warren, Ohio

16 months ago

This course now includes the workbook. Before it was just online and video instruction. Now it includes the 400 page workbook and online and video instruction for those that prefer to have an actual book to look at as well. medicalcodingpro.com/medical-coding-certification-prep-course. Plus monthly live Q&A webinars have just been added.

Here is what one of the students said about the course: "... I am kicking myself for paying out so much money on my Los Angeles AAPC course , when actually yours is more informative and better laid out." K Taglianetti.

There are more reviews on the website. Save money, get the same quality instruction.

Reply - Report abuse

Auburn Hills in Flint, Michigan

16 months ago

Coder1 in Warren, Ohio said: This course now includes the workbook. Before it was just online and video instruction. Now it includes the 400 page workbook and online and video instruction for those that prefer to have an actual book to look at as well. medicalcodingpro.com/medical-coding-certification-prep-course . Plus monthly live Q&A webinars have just been added.

Here is what one of the students said about the course: "... I am kicking myself for paying out so much money on my Los Angeles AAPC course , when actually yours is more informative and better laid out." K Taglianetti.

There are more reviews on the website. Save money, get the same quality instruction.

did you take this class if so did you pass and did you get a job.

Reply - Report abuse

Leigh in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: ***A little info on my situation and my question*****

I'm looking for the same information if you can help

Reply - Report abuse

shawn0798 in Baltimore, Maryland

12 months ago

Learn Medical Coding LLC(learnmedicalcoding.com) offers courses approved by the AAPC and AHIMA. Both organizations are great! I have taught the AAPC course for more than 5 years and the AHIMA program for about 3 years. Students do very well with our courseS. More than 85 percent of the students pass the exam.

Reply - Report abuse

IloveCalifornia in Salt Lake City, Utah

12 months ago

Well, from personal experience, AAPC is a complete joke. I work as a medical biller, and I was looking for ICD-10-CM education. I did finish the AAPC course, and I was able to put it on my resume. However, I feel that this so-called education is a complete WASTE of money.

When I was ordering the course, I was told that there would be instructor support. HOWEVER, after the course began:
1.) When I struggled with some materials, AAPC told me that this course was just for self-study. There would be ZERO instructor support. So then, what the hell's the point of the course? I could have just bought a book to train myself.
2.) The training manual of this AAPC ICD-10-CM course is a complete joke. Most of the time, the book just repeats the whole coding guidelines WITHOUT providing any examples. What's the point?
3.) Even worse, there are so many errors. Other coders and billers reviewed these errors and told me that I should bring them to AAPC's attention. So I did relay the information to AAPC, and, guess what, NO ONE replied.

What a joke for an organization. Long story short, I am now an AHIMA member. I would be finishing up my bachelor's degree in HIM and sitting for the RHIA exam.

I would NEVER buy another book published by AAPC. For AHIMA's books, if there are errors, their author team did respond to me if I express any concerns.

For AAPC, the quality control is nonexistent.

I know a lady who teaches CPC boot camp. Even the 2016 AAPC CPC study guide's anatomic figures' spellings are wrong. This AAPC group is just a complete JOKE. By the way, AAPC holds CPC exams in other countries, and that will encourage OUTSOURCING.

Those Americans who support AAPC would get a slap in the face in the end when more coding jobs are outsourced to other countries.

Reply - Report abuse

nana in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

11 months ago

I have been searching for information on medical coding, the information is overwhelming. The two online schools I'm looking into is Careerstep or AAPC.

Ilovecalifornia; why did you go with AAPC instead of say other online course programs?

Can anyone give me clear details especially since I have no medical background. I've worked at a medical supply company for 5 years as a file clerk, that's as far my medical experience goes.

Merci beaucoup

Reply - Report abuse

barbara_medicalbiller in Bolingbrook, Illinois

7 months ago

I feel everyone's pain. I ran into the same issue when I finished the program. Book smart but no hands on. I agree just got your foot in the door. My first job in healthcare was medical biller and/or posting. Then things took off from there. If your good with numbers it's a pretty easy job to obtain

Reply - Report abuse

StephanieCecchini in Salt Lake City, Utah

6 months ago

Hi IloveCalifornia --I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I've been AAPC VP of Products since June---and a member of AAPC for 20 years. Would you contact me? We care about our members and the healthcare community ---we work hard to get things right and I want to understand what your experience was. My email is stephanie.cecchini@aapc.com or you can reach me at www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniececchini/

Reply - Report abuse

tridoc1005 in Garland, Texas

4 months ago

I agree with the comments that have been shared regarding AAPC. The class that I attended was only geared towards taking tests where the questions were copied directly from the books completing the chapter tests from the book and then taking the test questions/answers and marking your coding book so that you would have the correct answer when you take the test. No effort was made to explain what was being looked for to make the decision as to WHAT to code and why. Comment was you'll pick that up when you actually begin working as a coder. My class was in DFW area and cost me $1800.00

Reply - Report abuse

JP in Hollywood, Florida

3 months ago

There's little reason to purchase an expensive AAPC Course these days. You can get them free at CCO when you purchase one of their courses. Plus, CCO has excellent coaching, the BHAT™ system and a wonderful community.

www.cco.us/free-aapc-course/

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

StephanieCecchini in South Jordan, Utah

3 months ago

JP in Hollywood, Florida said: There's little reason to purchase an expensive AAPC Course these days. You can get them free at CCO when you purchase one of their courses. Plus, CCO has excellent coaching, the BHAT™ system and a wonderful community.

www.cco.us/free-aapc-course/

JP---I believe Laureen Jandroep course is great---but AAPC's is the authoritive source of training for the CPC exam. Is the fact that it is a cheaper course what appealed to you?

Reply - Report abuse

motivatedcodingapprentice in Colorado Springs, Colorado

3 months ago

shawn0798 in Baltimore, Maryland said: Learn Medical Coding LLC(learnmedicalcoding.com) offers courses approved by the AAPC and AHIMA. Both organizations are great! I have taught the AAPC course for more than 5 years and the AHIMA program for about 3 years. Students do very well with our courseS. More than 85 percent of the students pass the exam.

I was under the impression that AAPC didn't officially approve any certificate or degree programs, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sa2918 in Irvine, California

1 month ago

AAPC is way overpriced. I would suggest ABHCP for an alternative ... www.abhcp.org

Reply - Report abuse

JP in Hollywood, Florida

1 month ago

StephanieCecchini in South Jordan, Utah said: JP---I believe Laureen Jandroep course is great---but AAPC's is the authoritive source of training for the CPC exam. Is the fact that it is a cheaper course what appealed to you?

The AAPC isn't the authoritative source of training for the CPC exam. No one is, really. They're just the organization that created the CPC credential and host the exams for them.

CCO appealed to me because it has a much better and warmer method of teaching. The lectures are easier to understand because there is an actual instructor talking alongside the slides and explaining concepts to you in their videos. The AAPC lectures sound like it has voice actors reading text to you as you click from slide to slide. It felt a bit cold and textbook-ish. I guess some people like that but I don't.

In the end, it didn't make sense to go with the AAPC because CCO includes the AAPC video lectures and content in their members area anyways.

Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

1 month ago

Please, please, please, do your research before pursuing a coding certification from anyone other than AAPC or AHIMA.
All you need to do is search for medical coding jobs in your area and read what certifications the employers are listing in the qualifications/education. I guarantee you will find the overwhelming majority, if not all will be looking for CPC, CCS, or some will just say AHIMA or AAPC, or possibly RHIT or RHIA, also credentials from AHIMA. These are the 2 certifying bodies almost universally recognized by employers across the country. No, these certifications are not required by any laws, but they are the certifications that are respected by employers and you won't get hired if you don't have them. Just check the job listings and you will see.

While both AHIMA and the AAPC have course offerings, they are not really comprehensive programs for someone who is starting from scratch. If you want to get started in medical coding, and you don't have a medical background, you will need a course that offers anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding, especially if you want to qualify for AHIMA's CCS exam, which the most requested credential by employers.

AHIMA offers a list of approved programs so that you don't get scammed by some of these cheap online programs that will waste your time and money. Career Step is one of the few online programs on that list, and they have been training medical office professionals for 25 years. The name is recognized by employers and they will prepare you for the rigorous CCS and CPC exams.
Occasionally they offer discounts for enrolling by a certain date, if you enroll by the 29th you can get a laptop or $400 tuition discount:
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

Reply - Report abuse

MargaretAnn in Corpus Christi, Texas

25 days ago

tridoc1005 in Garland, Texas said: I agree with the comments that have been shared regarding AAPC. The class that I attended was only geared towards taking tests where the questions were copied directly from the books completing the chapter tests from the book and then taking the test questions/answers and marking your coding book so that you would have the correct answer when you take the test. No effort was made to explain what was being looked for to make the decision as to WHAT to code and why. Comment was you'll pick that up when you actually begin working as a coder. My class was in DFW area and cost me $1800.00

Did you enroll in the medical coding academy in Dallas Tx? If so were you able to find a job.

Reply - Report abuse

Avery in Denton, Texas

16 days ago

tridoc1005 in Garland, Texas said: I agree with the comments that have been shared regarding AAPC. The class that I attended was only geared towards taking tests where the questions were copied directly from the books completing the chapter tests from the book and then taking the test questions/answers and marking your coding book so that you would have the correct answer when you take the test. No effort was made to explain what was being looked for to make the decision as to WHAT to code and why. Comment was you'll pick that up when you actually begin working as a coder. My class was in DFW area and cost me $1800.00

I am currently enrolled in the CPC course through AAPC. I would be so grateful if I could get some more information from you about your experience!!! Could I please get your email address??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

4 days ago

MandyinMichigan in Harbor Springs, Michigan said: I do see now that AHIMA does have classes but I still need a Human Anatomy and Physiology course and pass it with a "C" first.

Go to ultimate medical academy online! You'll love it. It is accredited and you can get FAFSA and Pel grants. I did it and graduated in 9 months with mbc diploma. Now I need to take the exam!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Barb24 in Wheaton, Illinois

3 days ago

There is no actual formal accreditation process for Medical Coding certificate programs. Nearly every employer requires a certification from the AAPC or AHIMA regardless of where you get your training from. These exams are challenging and to pass the CCS from AHIMA you need a complete program that covers: anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding. AHIMA does have a list of approved Medical Coding programs, and Career Step is one of the few online programs on that list.
referral.careerstep.com/mc?ref=36530

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

gm in Alabaster, Alabama

1 day ago

redhead69 in State College, Pennsylvania said: I would like to do remote medical billing , data entry from home, either full or part time. I can not find a company that hires to do this kind of work from home. Any help any one could give me would be great. I have been doing medical billing for over 7yrs now so I have a lot of experence in the billing field.

www.flexjobs.com/jobs/medical-coding

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.