Is Going To College For HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNICIAN Worth It?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Ashley in Cape Coral, Florida

50 months ago

I currently am in college for it BUT am worried I will NOT find a job in this field. I have been going to college for 2 years now and I have finally figured out what the heck I want to do with my life. Yeah, I know sad. I really like the whole Medical Coding and I really enjoy it BUT I am NOT going to enjoy not being able to take care of myself after graduating. I am debating on dropping out this program and going to accounting or something else. Do you believe it's worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

50 months ago

Ashley in Cape Coral, Florida said: I currently am in college for it BUT am worried I will NOT find a job in this field. I have been going to college for 2 years now and I have finally figured out what the heck I want to do with my life. Yeah, I know sad. I really like the whole Medical Coding and I really enjoy it BUT I am NOT going to enjoy not being able to take care of myself after graduating. I am debating on dropping out this program and going to accounting or something else. Do you believe it's worth it?

yes, I think it is worth it. you will have a better chance getting a job with a degree than if you just did the certificate program. you will definitely want to sit for your RHIT. Most places want someone with 2-3 years experience, but if you have your RHIT, they will probably hire you without the experience.

not only that, but with the RHIT you have more options than just coding, I only got my certificate and than later sat for the CPC, I plan to go back to school to get my RHIT, the job opportunities are better.

I LOVE this field, I can't imagine doing anything else, i have been able to provide for myself, very well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gregg in Youngstown, Ohio

50 months ago

I agree, the more certifications the better. The market will contract substantially with ICD 10 and the more you are certified for the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eydie in Lancaster, California

50 months ago

I wanted to take a Medical Billing and Coding Diploma Course online by Blackstone Career Institute. Has anyone heard of it? Also, they have a Health Information Technician course also, but it's 2 years... I'm old, so I don't have a lot of time... Need to get right to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Eydie in Lancaster, California said: I wanted to take a Medical Billing and Coding Diploma Course online by Blackstone Career Institute. Has anyone heard of it? Also, they have a Health Information Technician course also, but it's 2 years... I'm old, so I don't have a lot of time... Need to get right to it.

the problem with the short 8-9 month certificate programs, are

1)everyone everywhere is offering them and everyone everywhere is taking them

2)the certificate program really doesn't teach you enough to be a coder, its like 4 classes, icd-9, cpt, med term and somesort of billing class.

3) you will probably have a hard time finding a job, almost every employer is looking for 2-3 years experience, PLUS a certification. I had 4 years experience (went the certificate route), but NO ONE would hire me (for a real coding job), until I got my certification, once I did, got a job within a month.

like i said, I am just trying to be helpful, I realize you are changing careers later in life and want to get on with it. I just want you to be aware of these potential pit falls, because I promise you, whatever school you go to, will not inform you of this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHIT student in Franklin, Ohio

50 months ago

Remember the RHIT/RHIA route is not a coding degree. You can code with it but you aren't limited to just coding as you would be if you only had a certification.

Go into the degree with an open mind. I went in only thinking about coding but the courses opened my mind to the many other job opportunities.

The biggest road block once you graduate is experience if your looking to get into coding. My advice is to volunteer in the HIM department or look for a front desk job if possible. Its best to get out and start networking while your in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHIT student in Franklin, Ohio

50 months ago

Also make sure your school is CAHIIM accredited before you start. If it isn't then you won't be able to sit for the RHIT after you graduate.

www.cahiim.org/accredpgms.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eydie in Lancaster, California

50 months ago

The school says that the class should take 8 months, but allows you 2 years to complete. The cost is 1298, but they are running a special for 998. The RHIT program is around $4000. I don' have that kind of money. I've been a legal secretary and was going to pursue that again, but after reading a forum on this website, I'm scared to go back to it. So, any more advice?

Jay in Erie, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

I am in school for HIT but the school is not yet accredited, while they say they are trying to get accredited if I graduate from here before that happens I will only have a associate degree. I don't know about else where but around here employers are specific and expect expirence and certifications, which one will be extremly hard to get without the other.

coolchicn in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

Just curious. What else can one do with a BS in HIM. Apart from coding of course, cos it seems hard to get in to. Am trying to go for the HIM degree, still need some information on it though

47 months ago

coolchicn in Atlanta, Georgia said: Just curious. What else can one do with a BS in HIM. Apart from coding of course, cos it seems hard to get in to. Am trying to go for the HIM degree, still need some information on it though

I don't have a HIM degree, but from what I understand you can code with it, as well as do Medical Records, supervise a HIM dep, compliance, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neetha in Oak Park, Illinois

3 months ago

I plan to pursue a career in HIT. What are the job prospects after completing an Associate Degree in HIT?

Also, which would be a better college to pursue HIT in Illinois- Harper College or College of DuPage. Both these Colleges are CAHIIM accredited.What should be a deciding factor in opting for colleges for AAS degree in HIT?

Do Clinical Practicum's play a major role in attaining employment in this sector.

I was hoping someone could help me with my query.

Kenpachi in Tempe, Arizona

1 day ago

Neetha in Oak Park, Illinois said: I plan to pursue a career in HIT. What are the job prospects after completing an Associate Degree in HIT?

Also, which would be a better college to pursue HIT in Illinois- Harper College or College of DuPage. Both these Colleges are CAHIIM accredited.What should be a deciding factor in opting for colleges for AAS degree in HIT?

Do Clinical Practicum's play a major role in attaining employment in this sector.

unless you're specializing, any degree is kinda useless these days. I just finished my AAS and passed the RHIT exam. I would say HIM is better than degrees like communication but wont guarantee a job. Its brutal to find work these days. I feel like giving up.

Kenpachi in Tempe, Arizona

1 day ago

Neetha in Oak Park, Illinois said: I plan to pursue a career in HIT. What are the job prospects after completing an Associate Degree in HIT?

volunteer and network. That's what the manager and the director told me. If you do a good job during your internship, it can lead to an entry level position. expect to be paid 12-14 an hour for entry level.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 day ago

Kenpachi in Tempe, Arizona said: unless you're specializing, any degree is kinda useless these days. I just finished my AAS and passed the RHIT exam. I would say HIM is better than degrees like communication but wont guarantee a job. Its brutal to find work these days. I feel like giving up.

You are right. A liberal arts degree is worthless. Companies today want 1. Specialization. 2. Experience 3. Bilingual.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.