Is it difficult to learn coding on your own?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Celly in Buffalo, New York

60 months ago

Hello again,

I am looking into online schools that teach medical coding or billing. My goal is to work from home one day. I have been attending Alfred State college online for the Coding and Reiembursement program. It is alright, but I really do not want to waste time on alot of fluff classes. I just want to get down to the coding material and the other classes that apply to this field. I have looked into AHIMA and AAPC programs that they offer through them. Both are about $2000.00. Has anyone ever taken classes through them? I am a very good worker and stay on task, so online learning has never been a problem for me. How hard is learning medical coding on your own though? This field seems so intense that it seems pretty hard to be able to learn this all on your own. Is it really done? Thanks for some info...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kate75 in WeHo, California

60 months ago

Frieda in Hazlet, New Jersey said: I'm thinking about going into medical coding. Can anybody tell me the pay rate? All the jobs I look at do not give pay scale.

www.indeed.com/salary/medical-coder.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Messed up my previos comment, sorry for the link text, here is the proper link to learn medical coding in just 30 weeks.

www.rossmedicaleducation.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lavi in Sterling Heights, Michigan

59 months ago

James , did you find a job after graduating?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Snooky Luv in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Lavi in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: James , did you find a job after graduating?

Coding not difficult. Lot of mine was self-taught. But you do need on the job experience to show employers you are educated enough to managed the medical records and you understand the RACS, HACS, ICD9, CPT, HCPCS, JACHO,MEDICARE, AHA-coding clinic, STATE/FEDERAL guidelines in order to be successful at coding. I don't recommend this job unless your able to take accuracy, understanding, compassion, and able to be in compliance with HIPPA/PHI regulations. Check out UCLA story on an employee broke confidentiality of celebrities. THat makes u think twice on this job, but it also help u be a better person and keeping things confidential no matter what the enquirer tries 2 pay u! haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lacrew in Oakland, California

49 months ago

Frieda in Hazlet, New Jersey said: I'm thinking about going into medical coding. Can anybody tell me the pay rate? All the jobs I look at do not give pay scale.

Hi,

I am currently enrolled in a HIT program and was recently told that unless we become certified we can expect to earn once we complete our program $10-12 an hour. Once we become certified we have the potential to earn more but that requires us to receive more education. You would think paying a lot of money to attend career college we would be certified, "not". I wished the school would have communicated that before I committed myself.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

49 months ago

lacrew in Oakland, California said: Hi,

I am currently enrolled in a HIT program and was recently told that unless we become certified we can expect to earn once we complete our program $10-12 an hour. Once we become certified we have the potential to earn more but that requires us to receive more education. You would think paying a lot of money to attend career college we would be certified, "not". I wished the school would have communicated that before I committed myself.

Good Luck!

Why would you think just taking classes would make you certified?
you have to take a test with a HIM organization to become certified.

Also, something else they probably didn't communicate with you is that unless you have experience, you are probably going to run into problems finding a job. Most employers are looking for experienced and certified employees. If you find that to be the case when you graduate, try volunteering in a HIM dept, to get experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lacrew in Oakland, California

49 months ago

You are correct! An instructor from another class has been very helpful in sharing her experiences and even brought a mock certified test to share with my class. I am thankful for her doing this becaues we now know what we should know when we take our exam to become certified.
It was my fault, to think once I completed this program upon exiting I would be certified, especially since I am paying alot of money. There's a lot to learn in the medical field and some instuctors don't share enough information. I am learning and will have to ask questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike208 in Galloway, Ohio

14 months ago

Whats the deal with the sharp drop off in salary at the beginning of 2013 in this link? Not enough data yet?

www.indeed.com/salary/medical-coder.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bob in Tyler, Texas

5 months ago

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Why would you think just taking classes would make you certified?
you have to take a test with a HIM organization to become certified.

Also, something else they probably didn't communicate with you is that unless you have experience, you are probably going to run into problems finding a job. Most employers are looking for experienced and certified employees. If you find that to be the case when you graduate, try volunteering in a HIM dept, to get experience.

If you cant get a job without experience then how did everyone get their first job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-I in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

2 months ago

Celly in Buffalo, New York said: Hello again,

I am looking into online schools that teach medical coding or billing . My goal is to work from home one day. I have been attending Alfred State college online for the Coding and Reiembursement program. It is alright, but I really do not want to waste time on alot of fluff classes. I just want to get down to the coding material and the other classes that apply to this field. I have looked into AHIMA and AAPC programs that they offer through them. Both are about $2000.00. Has anyone ever taken classes through them? I am a very good worker and stay on task, so online learning has never been a problem for me. How hard is learning medical coding on your own though? This field seems so intense that it seems pretty hard to be able to learn this all on your own. Is it really done? Thanks for some info...

Hi Celly,

I tried to self teach myself in 1998 and found it challenging so I attended a 5 day boot camp - I quickly realized a good course with an instructor that could explain things I got stuck on was key. I started teaching medical billing and coding myself teaching at Drexel University and at local community colleges before I started my own online school. If you've had a course I have a 2 day review class recorded available online or DVD. If you're interested check out our website here cco.pe/1k0zL79

Best wishes in your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.