Need Advice Regarding RHIT/RHIA Education

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (351 to 372 of 372)
Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8   

anitasingh2927 in New York, New York

36 months ago

I have certification for pct,phlobotomy ,electrocardiogrm,medical billing and coding.my question is wtih all this certificats I couldnt find job and I also want to go continue study.can someone help me?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia

36 months ago

Hello to all,

HIM will be hopefully a 2nd career for me. but at 59, I'm thinking that perhaps I'm too old to try to get into the field. I was wondering if there were others 50+ who feel the same or perhaps can give me some feedback? I graduated last year with my HIT degree and will take the RHIT exam for the 2nd time sometime in January. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mjatl in atlanta, Georgia

36 months ago

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia said: Hello to all,

HIM will be hopefully a 2nd career for me. but at 59, I'm thinking that perhaps I'm too old to try to get into the field. I was wondering if there were others 50+ who feel the same or perhaps can give me some feedback? I graduated last year with my HIT degree and will take the RHIT exam for the 2nd time sometime in January. Thanks!

Already being in the HIM field (medical transcription) for many years already, I too am finding myself doing something else at 55 yrs. of age in the HIM field. I will be starting coding courses in a few weeks (turning 56 in 2 weeks) to eventually become a CDI (clinical documentation improvement specialist). I personally do not feel you are too old to get into the field. Go for it! Do you! Pursue whatever you want to accomplish and don't worry about your age or what others may think. I think you will do great. Here's an article I came across last week that shows what we CAN do after 50+.

www.careerstep.com/blog/coding-and-billing/career-change-after-50-i-became-a-medical-coder

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia

36 months ago

tweety in Grove City, Ohio said: If you're planning to study online, you don't have to narrow your choice of schools only in NY state. Western Nebraska Community College which is CAHIM accredited, and they are one of the most affordable schools that offer low out-of-state student tuition rates per credit hour. They offer the Associates in HIT program fully online. I went there for 2 years. Good luck! :)[/QUOTE

I also went to WNCC. I graduated from there last year in May. Wonderful experience!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia

36 months ago

MJATL in atlanta, Georgia said: Already being in the HIM field (medical transcription) for many years already, I too am finding myself doing something else at 55 yrs. of age in the HIM field. I will be starting coding courses in a few weeks (turning 56 in 2 weeks) to eventually become a CDI (clinical documentation improvement specialist). I personally do not feel you are too old to get into the field. Go for it! Do you! Pursue whatever you want to accomplish and don't worry about your age or what others may think. I think you will do great. Here's an article I came across last week that shows what we CAN do after 50+.

www.careerstep.com/blog/coding-and-billing/career-change-after-50-i-became-a-medical-coder

Thanks for the confidence boosts. I'm trying to stay focused but it's no joke that this field is hard to get into. I didn't past the RHIT exam the first because I felt no incentive to pass it if getting a job was going to be so difficult. I'm taking it again soon with a renewed interest. I see that you're in GA as well as myself, but I've been contemplating perhaps to leave the area for employment once I get my certification. This area is too saturated with RHIT grads from what I've been told.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

mjatl in atlanta, Georgia

36 months ago

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia said: Thanks for the confidence boosts. I'm trying to stay focused but it's no joke that this field is hard to get into. I didn't past the RHIT exam the first because I felt no incentive to pass it if getting a job was going to be so difficult. I'm taking it again soon with a renewed interest. I see that you're in GA as well as myself, but I've been contemplating perhaps to leave the area for employment once I get my certification. This area is too saturated with RHIT grads from what I've been told.

Hello MissyKMeb. I got a phone call today - yes Sunday - about a job that you may potentially be interested in here in the metro ATL area. If you want to know more, feel free to email me at: mjohnson373@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Pleasant in Pueblo, Colorado

33 months ago

MissyKMeb in Norcross, Georgia said: Hello to all,

HIM will be hopefully a 2nd career for me. but at 59, I'm thinking that perhaps I'm too old to try to get into the field. I was wondering if there were others 50+ who feel the same or perhaps can give me some feedback? I graduated last year with my HIT degree and will take the RHIT exam for the 2nd time sometime in January. Thanks!

I sixty years old and in my last semester of an RHIT program. I also work as the HIT program assistant in our community college. No, I don't think that you are to old to try to get into the field. I see HIT students of all ages and varying degrees of education get jobs. You might have to take a job in a facility doing something else to get your foot in the door. That has worked for some of our students too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mrose in Matteson, Illinois

32 months ago

Help! I am considering attending DeVry for HIT degree? I have tried to read as many posts but any pros/cons? I have to do an online program. I need my associates goal would be a batchelor degree for obvious advancenent.Any advice or feedback with experience would be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ron B in Covington, Louisiana

32 months ago

Naeem in Corona, California said: Hi Mariam1, My experience with WGU is very good. I started of with just 6 transfered course and now I am just 7 courses short of getting my degree. I like the fact that if I can complete as many course as I can in a term (6 months). The mentors are great and very helpful. The courses are challenging. They are either Performance Assessment (Submitting the assignment on Task Stream) and Objective Assessment (Proctored Exam at your local Test center). If you have BA then yes you might be able to transfer half of the requirements. I found Int. to Anotomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology and Pharmacology little more challenging then rest of the courses. The coding exams (ICD and CPT) are open book exams but you should be able to find the correct codes quickly. As a part of your Bachelors Degree you will also be required to pass Comp tia exams (IT I, IT II and Database ). At the end WGU is very differenet then most of the universities out there, they just don't award diplomas but they want their students to learn and understand the material.

Regards,
Naeem

By now you should be finished. I am an acupuncturist considering WGU's health informatics degree and transitioning out of clinical work and into IT. I'm not really interested in billing/coding at all, rather I want to get good at managing systems and mining data. Do you think this is a fair direction to go in?

How was the job hunt? Do you think it is worth it, or should I get a degree in IT instead?

-Ron Buie

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Labnerd in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Ron B in Covington, Louisiana said: By now you should be finished. I am an acupuncturist considering WGU's health informatics degree and transitioning out of clinical work and into IT. I'm not really interested in billing /coding at all, rather I want to get good at managing systems and mining data . Do you think this is a fair direction to go in?

How was the job hunt? Do you think it is worth it, or should I get a degree in IT instead?

-Ron Buie

Hi all, I am wondering the same thing. I am currently finishing up my AAS in a medical field and looking forward to diversifying and using my healthcare knowledge with my interest in computers and software. I am a bit confused by the terms such as, "health informatics" "RHIA", and "RHIT". I want to be able to use my knowledge in the healthcare industry but DO NOT want to work in coding. I have done my research and I am a bit confused still. If anyone can clear these things up for me it would be greatly appreciated as I move forward!

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

JWS in Atlantic City, New Jersey

30 months ago

Helping others in South Ozone Park, New York said: Don't believe everything you read. Research for yourself. There are plenty of jobs in your field. You have to redo your resume and someone will hire you. I have a Masters in healthcare and CPC certified. I'm on my way to 6 figure salary, because I did not follow what's on the website and depend on one persons views. Good Luck, Oh I got accepted in the Univ of Illinois of Chicago to sit for the RHIA program. Yeah! for me... :)

Glad to see your comment. I have a Bachelors of Business Administration and have been working in compliance auditing for the last 4 years. At this point in my career I want to get into something different and since I have a background in finance I think a job that focuses on revenue cycle, recovery or coding would be a good fit. Just wondering if you have any advice or where I can get started given my past healthcrae experience? I could show you my resume... Are you on LinkedIn? I'm in the Philadelphia area. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

CDR Stew in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

mrose in Matteson, Illinois said: Help! I am considering attending DeVry for HIT degree? I have tried to read as many posts but any pros/cons? I have to do an online program. I need my associates goal would be a batchelor degree for obvious advancenent.Any advice or feedback with experience would be appreciated

An HIT degree with the RHIT credentials is a very good place to begin, especially if you have little experience in Health Info Management. Get a part time job in an HIM department either scanning documents or doing release of information. I usually go back to school every 5-10 years to stay connected, earn a higher degree and move up.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

KeyandraLR in Clarksville, Tennessee

23 months ago

student in Franklin, Ohio said: The online program isn't accredited by CAHIIM. You won't be able to sit for the RHIT exam unless its accredited by CAHIIM.

The only accredited Rasmussen programs were the ones on campus in MN and one in IL.

# Brooklyn Park, MN * * *
# Eagan, MN * * *
# Eden Prairie, MN * * *
# Lake Elmo/Woodbury, MN * * *
# Mankato, MN * * *
# Rockford, IL * * *
# St. Cloud, MN * * *

It is accrediated, how do you know for sure they arent? I spoke with AHIMA and they said yes they are accrediated thru them and we can sit for the exam

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Sykesville, Maryland

18 months ago

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington said: Sana..After speaking with DeVry, I found out I would be able to transfer 21 credits from my MOS degree, which was great, but the cost was still up there. I didn't go through finding out how much the TITLE IV funding would decrease it, because I had only so much time to cancel the contract . You can personally email me at letsgosurfin2@hotmail.com if you like. I am currently registering at 2 colleges in Washington that have very reasonable tuition and of course are AHIMA accredited. Depending on which offers me the best choices is the one I will pick.

Do you mind sharing which two schools in Washington you found that offered it online? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Prankster in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

16 months ago

Hi everyone I am also looking to go into a different career. I am already in the medical field and due to some chronic health issues I have decided to go for something less stressful than what I am doing now. My question is can I get hired for a RHIT position if I specialize in coding through a certified medical assistant program,but don't have the RHIT certification? Living in OK I don't have a lot of choices school wise and every vocational technology centers and our community college that I have looked at do not have the Health information technology course, however I was told by a career advisor at one vo tech that if I went to get my certified medical assistant that I could build on the skills that I learned from that class to get what I want to be. I did look online and because of my health I am only able to work a few days a week so my income is really tight to the point I can't even afford to leave home. The CMA class I can get FASFA to pay for. Which leads me back to my question I mentioned earlier. Apologies if this doesn't make any sense, I am just trying to find a quick way to get into medical records without having to either spend a lot of money or go to school longer than 1yr. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Carol Stream, Illinois

14 months ago

Hello all,
I have a bachelor's in Psychology\Sociology and I work in a mental health clinic as a front office receptionist. I am interested in UIC's online HIM Post-Bachelor's certificate that leads to the RHIA. What are some suggestions in regards to better job outlook and salary after the certification? Where do you suggest I do the internship? What field in HIM is more in demand and has more advancement? Thanks! :) I want to be able to telecommute sometimes as I have small children.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

rhitnewgrad in Chicago, Illinois

8 months ago

How did you end up eventually with an entry level coding position 6 years ago?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Public Health Practitioner Academic in Cedar Hill, Texas

1 month ago

Happy Wellness to Everyone,

The difference between the RHIT and HITA is that one is an associate and one is at the bachelor level along with experience. In the health information system the way how you assess you ROI when spending the money to get trained in this area is to assess where you want to work. for one, in HIT you DO NOT need a certification to become a coder just training. The hospitals perfer that you graduate with a least a diploma in medical billing and coding due to the amount of knowledge that you will have to know in order to function in this job. The typical coder will turn and thin out at least 10 charts in an hour. This may seem simple but believe it or not it is a fast pace job that requires you to multitask.
On the flip side, once you have complete the basic education requirements to become a certified coder, you may take the test to become a RHIT but do not stop there keep going because the ROI will prove to be rewarding once you pass your registry such as AIDS, Tumor, or HIT auditor. After getting these registries under your belt, you can come and go as you please, make your own hours. It brings 80K+ a year. If you are the supervisor it is 6 figures. I was blessed to train a medical records tech to auditor and when she got the job just starting she was making 75K without a degree. Take care

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jennyhorner in Edmond, Oklahoma

1 month ago

Public Health Practitioner Academic in Cedar Hill, Texas said: Happy Wellness to Everyone,

The difference between the RHIT and HITA is that one is an associate and one is at the bachelor level along with experience. In the health information system the way how you assess you ROI when spending the money to get trained in this area is to assess where you want to work. for one, in HIT you DO NOT need a certification to become a coder just training. The hospitals perfer that you graduate with a least a diploma in medical billing and coding due to the amount of knowledge that you will have to know in order to function in this job. The typical coder will turn and thin out at least 10 charts in an hour. This may seem simple but believe it or not it is a fast pace job that requires you to multitask.
On the flip side, once you have complete the basic education requirements to become a certified coder, you may take the test to become a RHIT but do not stop there keep going because the ROI will prove to be rewarding once you pass your registry such as AIDS, Tumor, or HIT auditor. After getting these registries under your belt, you can come and go as you please, make your own hours. It brings 80K+ a year. If you are the supervisor it is 6 figures. I was blessed to train a medical records tech to auditor and when she got the job just starting she was making 75K without a degree. Take care

Ok first off you can NOT promise anyone $80K. That depends entirely on where you live and your experience.

Also you mean RHIA with the Bachelors.

Third, getting a coding certification if you want to stay in coding is ideal and a industry standard. When I graduated back in 2011 with an Associates in HIT, I was lucky without a certification to get in. Now days most want a credential right out the door. The RHIT is wonderful to start with, especially under the whole umbrella of HIT. But I have seen *many* coders get a coding credential on top of th

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Public health Academic in Cedar Hill, Texas

1 month ago

jennyhorner in Edmond, Oklahoma said: Ok first off you can NOT promise anyone $80K. That depends entirely on where you live and your experience.

Also you mean RHIA with the Bachelors.

Third, getting a coding certification if you want to stay in coding is ideal and a industry standard. When I graduated back in 2011 with an Associates in HIT, I was lucky without a certification to get in. Now days most want a credential right out the door. The RHIT is wonderful to start with, especially under the whole umbrella of HIT. But I have seen *many* coders get a coding credential on top of th

I am merely commenting on the experience that MY student has experienced. Now, it appears from your writing tone that you are disagreeing with the comments that I have put here within the discussion. I am assuming that this is a discussion and not an arugement because I am just not going to do that. Now, you are right in one aspect is that it depends on where you work. However, passing the registry exams will bring a nice ROI I know that for a fact. I did not say do not pursue an RHIT or an HIT certification. I am just merely stating that there is a god amount of money that could be made in medical records including freelancing.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jennyhorner in Edmond, Oklahoma

1 month ago

Public health Academic in Cedar Hill, Texas said: I am merely commenting on the experience that MY student has experienced. Now, it appears from your writing tone that you are disagreeing with the comments that I have put here within the discussion. I am assuming that this is a discussion and not an arugement because I am just not going to do that. Now, you are right in one aspect is that it depends on where you work. However, passing the registry exams will bring a nice ROI I know that for a fact. I did not say do not pursue an RHIT or an HIT certification. I am just merely stating that there is a god amount of money that could be made in medical records including freelancing.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I just wanted to point out that you said "You do not need a certification just training" for coding. These days employers want those coding credentials, even with the RHIT. There is a huge difference between an RHIT and coding credentials. RHIT encompasses all of the HIT world and coding credentials are 100% coding.

If someone doesn't want to do only coding, that's where the RHIT and RHIA come in very handy and you will definitely be successful. That's all I was saying pertaining to your coding certification statement...

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Public health Academic in Cedar Hill, Texas

1 month ago

I do apologize to the person who posted the questions for the confusion including the post itself i.e. typos. Take care and good luck in your job search

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   5  6  7  8   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.