Radiology Coding Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Peggy in Magee, Mississippi

87 months ago

that was rude. It was a question because 4 of us coders, one of 20 yrs. have a disagreement going on about it. We wanted an out side opinion, in a nice way. No question is ever stupid in coding, or so I was taught.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Peggy in Magee, Mississippi said: that was rude. It was a question because 4 of us coders, one of 20 yrs. have a disagreement going on about it. We wanted an out side opinion, in a nice way. No question is ever stupid in coding, or so I was taught.

I don't believe it was rude. Next time, word it like this...

"Hi. A few of my colleagues and I are debating whether the correct code for Gastric feeding tube occlusion (Debris removal only), is 12345-12345 or is it 54321-54321. Anyone like to help solve the debate? My view is, etc, etc. Thanks"

You have to be very clear when you write something so people don't misunderstand. I still, however contend that there is no way you would know what the correct code is because you have posed simply a vote. I also contend that none of you should be doing the job - especially the one who supposedly has 20 years experience. After 20 years you are not skilled enough to make the decision nor able to convince your colleagues you are right nor have any documentation to refer them to other than a public forum where anyone can answer?

At what point would you decide the disagreement was concluded? Would only one or two people have to respond or would you hold out for 40 more opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda in Hattiesburg MS

87 months ago

I am considering pursuing a medical coding certificate. It there a great demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ToniM in Dacula, Georgia

85 months ago

Hello, New here, I am having trouble with the modifier rt or lt when submitting a clm to medicaid. the clm is first denied with these modifiers. when they are removed and resubmitted the second is denied as an exact duplicate. I have been searching in my ICD-9 but have not been successful in locating the correct way to code with both sides. Any help or guidance will be greatfully appreciated. TM

ToniM in Dacula, Georgia

85 months ago

ToniM in Dacula, Georgia said: I have been searching in my ICD-9 but have not been successful in locating the correct way to code with both sides.

Sorry, I meant my CPT which does give rt and lt but medicade denies every time. TM

Peggy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

85 months ago

I don't know how GA Med works, but we use a x 2 for bilateral or a modifier 50 would work in your case of BOTH lt and a rt.

ToniM in Dacula, Georgia

85 months ago

Thank-you, I will try that and let you know. Toni

Terry in Columbia, Maryland

85 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: I don't believe it was rude. Next time, word it like this...

"Hi. A few of my colleagues and I are debating whether the correct code for Gastric feeding tube occlusion (Debris removal only), is 12345-12345 or is it 54321-54321. Anyone like to help solve the debate? My view is, etc, etc. Thanks"

You have to be very clear when you write something so people don't misunderstand. I still, however contend that there is no way you would know what the correct code is because you have posed simply a vote. I also contend that none of you should be doing the job - especially the one who supposedly has 20 years experience. After 20 years you are not skilled enough to make the decision nor able to convince your colleagues you are right nor have any documentation to refer them to other than a public forum where anyone can answer?

At what point would you decide the disagreement was concluded? Would only one or two people have to respond or would you hold out for 40 more opinions?

You and your colleagues already have coding jobs and you're asking people wanting to get into coding for the correct code. What's the matter with the coding manager---they make the big bucks---it is they're job to oversee coders under them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M_A in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

I do interventional radiology coding, and I use zhealthpublishing.com whenever I get stuck with coding questions. I hope you got (or get) the answer you were looking for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim in San Jose, California

63 months ago

Hi, Is anyone familiar with coding and billing a Triphasic Liver CT Scan? I have been told it is just a CT Scan but it seems that there is more involved than just a ct scan.

I also could not find a specific cpt code for ct of the liver so I used the cpt code "CT of the Abdomen" Is this correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

funky in Peru, Indiana

58 months ago

ToniM in Dacula, Georgia said: Hello, New here, I am having trouble with the modifier rt or lt when submitting a clm to medicaid . the clm is first denied with these modifiers. when they are removed and resubmitted the second is denied as an exact duplicate. I have been searching in my ICD-9 but have not been successful in locating the correct way to code with both sides. Any help or guidance will be greatfully appreciated. TM

Hello, When working with medicaid, do not use rt or lt, use units, it would be 2 units. Medicaid doesn't recognize rt or lt.Hope this helps.

prem vinod in Bangalore, India

57 months ago

what is the CPT code for For Cardiac Thallium viability scan.

57 months ago

cpt fot Cardiac Thallium viability scan?????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

kim in San Jose, California said: Hi, Is anyone familiar with coding and billing a Triphasic Liver CT Scan? I have been told it is just a CT Scan but it seems that there is more involved than just a ct scan.

I also could not find a specific cpt code for ct of the liver so I used the cpt code "CT of the Abdomen" Is this correct?

yes ur correct... there is no spical code for CT liver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

college student in Amelia, Ohio

57 months ago

Terry in Columbia, Maryland said: You and your colleagues already have coding jobs and you're asking people wanting to get into coding for the correct code. What's the matter with the coding manager---they make the big bucks---it is they're job to oversee coders under them.

hi everyone, i jus wanted to let u know that m y instructor has been doin this coding for over 20 yrs and she still asks for help. Not everything sticks with you and it never hurts to ask for an opinion or help. not everyone knows everything even if they have been doin it for a long time.

Kerry in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

52 months ago

Our facility is trying to reduce the dose to our patients. One of the ways would be to pull out a "spine" when doing a CT abdomen/pelvis. Even though I am not actually a scanning a seperate lumbar study, I am reconstructing the ab/pel images to get the axial, sag/cor lumbar images. Is it okay to charge for all three (abd/pel/lumbar)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Prem Vinoth in Bangalore, India

52 months ago

yes its good. reducing the dose of radiation on patient..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karla in Chino, California

48 months ago

I do MRI/CT billing/collections. My boss wants me to now start billing everything seperatley. Such as syringes, gloves, gauze, sodium chloride, lidocaine, prep pads, Y tubing? I have never done this as we are an Outpatient office and we have only billed HCPC A4649 (supply tray). I don't know if we can bill this way, need help? Anyone? Thank you in Advanced

roadsky40 in Ilion, New York

44 months ago

kim in San Jose, California said: Hi, Is anyone familiar with coding and billing a Triphasic Liver CT Scan? I have been told it is just a CT Scan but it seems that there is more involved than just a ct scan.

Triphasic is the stages or phase of dye in the body. Tri means three, phasic means stages. First stage would be before the injection, second when the dye reach the artery roughly about 20 minutes after injection and the third when the dye reach the vein. CT Abdomen would be correct, but documentation or proper phrasing is still needed to be able to charge a w/ and w/o contrast study.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

roadsky40 in Ilion, New York

44 months ago

Kerry in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey said: Our facility is trying to reduce the dose to our patients. One of the ways would be to pull out a "spine" when doing a CT abdomen/pelvis. Even though I am not actually a scanning a seperate lumbar study, I am reconstructing the ab/pel images to get the axial, sag/cor lumbar images. Is it okay to charge for all three (abd/pel/lumbar)?

Since no actual Lumbar Scan was done but a reconstruction, then I would charge only 76376 or 76377 depending if an independent workstation was utilized, along with the CT Abd/Pelvis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Sullivan in Cohoes, New York

39 months ago

Patient was scheduled for PET scan and following radiopharmaceutical HCPCS A9552, patient refused the PET scan.
Since the A9552 is status N and packaged into the APC for PET scan, how can we bill for the A9552.

Theresa Sullivan in Cohoes, New York

39 months ago

Patient was scheduled for PET scan and following radiopharmaceutical HCPCS A9552, patient refused the PET scan.
Since the A9552 is status N and packaged into the APC for PET scan, how can we bill for the A9552.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.