Recommendations for self-study in coding?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

Sue in Des Moines, Iowa

47 months ago

Thanks for checking, Kristy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

newatcoding09 in Deerfield Beach, Florida

21 months ago

hi folks,
I too am interested in self study because I don't want to waste money on schools/courses that may be too drawn out and unnecessary. I feel I can learn the material easily. My background is that I studied physical therapy for 2 1/2 years about 10 years ago and completed 3 internships. I earned a B.S. in health sciences as part of a 2 + 1 program. I have a good memory. Is medical coding something that can be learned at a quicker pace? What are the main books needed? I recently purchased a small Billing and Coding pocket Guide, "Provider's Coding Notes" by Alice Anne Andress. Thanks for any feedback. I want to be able to pass the CCA and then earn the CCS after I gain employment in the medical coding world. I also hope to obtain the RHIT or RHIA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Madeline A Meyer PhD in Winter Park, Florida

21 months ago

Yes, we have a cost-effective, proven program for CPC and CCS certifications. We've trained hundreds successfully.

See: medicalcodingprep.com/

Dr. Meyer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Topaz07 in Poughkeepsie, New York

19 months ago

CodingCertification.Org is an online Medical Coding education website where you can study at your own pace, but also you will have a certified coding instructor (coach) that you can talk to if you get stuck or have a question. Very valuable! Excellent curriculum, videos, practice exams, free webinars. Check out the courses offered here: bit.ly/1axmoG5

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

newatcoding09 in Pompano Beach, Florida

19 months ago

Thank you for your comment. You have given me motivation to continue my studies. Have you tried Buck's step by step work book?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

newatcoding09 in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Thank you for your comment. You have given me motivation to continue my studies. Have you tried Buck's step by step work book?

Yes, I worked through that workbook during my Physician Based Coding course at CCO, CodingCertification.Org: bit.ly/12Y7fxj Quite valuable! However, since then CCO has switched to the same curriculum as the AAPC, and Buck's workbook is no longer used, I believe. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a good workbook, certainly Buck's workbook would be a helpful choice. Happy studying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

18 months ago

This is a really good course for self study and it is inexpensive for what you get. medicalcodingpro.com/prep-course.html.

There is a coupon code that worked the last time I checked it to save fifty dollars too. I think it was "save50". Hope this helps and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angel in League City, Texas

12 months ago

I took a coding and billing class and finished in 2009, but never gotten a chance too take my state exam at that time. Its been heavy on my mind too look into studying too get my certification. Just don't know which route too take. Tried a refreshers course but the class wasn't offer enough. Now I'm thinking just go and take a continuing education course too refresh my mind or just find a goods study guide. Been layoff over a year now, been trying too find employment but its hard.

Thanks in advance for any feed back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nikishere33 in Oswego, Illinois

5 months ago

Hi,

Question? I am a nurse and I am currently not working.

I want to sit for my CPC. Is it possible to study on my own and pass?

Thank you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Evelina in Palos Park, Illinois

5 months ago

nikishere33 in Oswego, Illinois said: Hi,

Question? I am a nurse and I am currently not working.

I want to sit for my CPC. Is it possible to study on my own and pass?

Thank you,

Hello,

Did you take the self study course?Do you have any recommendations?I am unsure if should I go to school or take self paced study.Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nikishere33 in Naperville, Illinois

4 months ago

Hi,
I am actually taking the classes at my community college, there is only 3. then i will study for the CCS on my own :)

4 months ago

Evelina in Palos Park, Illinois said: Hello,

Did you take the self study course?Do you have any recommendations?I am unsure if should I go to school or take self paced study.Thank you.

Hi,
I am actually taking the classes at my community college, there is only 3. then i will study for the CCS on my own :)
I am going to try to find a study partner also

Sue in Des Moines, Iowa

4 months ago

Yes! It is possible. I did it. Like you, I had a background in medical care which was very helpful. I used Carol Buck's Step-by-Step and "Understanding Health Insurance - A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement" by Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell. I passed the CPC on my first go at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Sue in Des Moines, Iowa said: Yes! It is possible. I did it. Like you, I had a background in medical care which was very helpful. I used Carol Buck's Step-by-Step and "Understanding Health Insurance - A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement" by Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell. I passed the CPC on my first go at it.

Hey Sue!
Thank you!!

Did you also go over the CPT and ICD 9 books?

I want to also take my CCS so i wonder if "understanding health insurance" would help me with that?

Sue in Des Moines, Iowa

4 months ago

Yes. You will need those books for the Step-by-Step and for the exam. I can't comment on the CCS exam. I took the CPC exam.

4 months ago

QUESTION?

CAN I USE 2013 HCPCS, ICD9 and CPT books to take a test in 2014?????????

4 months ago

Sue in Des Moines, Iowa said: Yes! It is possible. I did it. Like you, I had a background in medical care which was very helpful. I used Carol Buck's Step-by-Step and "Understanding Health Insurance - A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement" by Michelle A. Green and JoAnn C. Rowell. I passed the CPC on my first go at it.

Sue is there anyway i can email you or you can email me? my email is nicolehere7334@hotmail.com

Did you have to know a lot of medical terminology for the test, i can get a medical terminology book to brush up on my medical terminology. I'm a nurse but haven't worked as a nurse for a few years.

Will it hurt me in the hiring process if i didn't actually take a program? were u able to get a job?

Bellainoz67 in Melbourne, Florida

4 months ago

HI everyone,

I've recently finished up 3 years homeschooling my 11 year old Autistic son who is back in public school. Now I have time on my hands and want to focus on starting a good, solid career.

I have previous experience (eons ago) as a rehab and radiology transcriptionist both learned on the job. I have worked also for an insurance company coding worker's compensation doctor's visits. I've heard that medical coding is well-paying and there are opportunities to work at home. I have seen courses offered from Career Step and AAPC for medical coding. I have also seen books by Buck on Step by Step Medical Coding where she also offers a lot of reports in different areas you can access for practice.

My question is…would I get the experience to be a medical coder self taught through Buck's books ect on Evolve website or should I go through Career Step or AAPC? Which would an employer favor do you think? Money is an issue as I can't afford a big payment which is why I am considering self taught books ect. Thanks for any help. I am excited to get going on this!!!

I'm 47, mom of two and would like to be able to have a career that is long lasting and fulfilling. I would appreciate any recommendations either for the self taught or an organization to go through for the course. My personal email is Bcooney67@yahoo.com if you want to email me. I would love to meet people who are in this field and exchange ideas and interests. Thanks Barb :-)

Sue in Ankeny, Iowa

4 months ago

I sent you a private email. Did you get it?

Sue in Ankeny, Iowa

4 months ago

nikishere33 in Naperville, Illinois said: Sue is there anyway i can email you or you can email me? my email is nicolehere7334@hotmail.com

Nikishere33, I sent you a private email. Did you get it?

Sue in Ankeny, Iowa

4 months ago

Bellainoz67 in Melbourne, Florida said: My question is…would I get the experience to be a medical coder self taught through Buck's books ect on Evolve website or should I go through Career Step or AAPC? Which would an employer favor do you think?

The Buck Step-by-Step book that I used did not have a practice section sufficient to qualify for "experience" for an employer. It's focus is to prepare you for the exam. I'm not familiar with the other resources for practice, so, unfortunately, I can't tell you what employers think of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

Hey!
No i never recieved it.
Can you try to resend it..

Send it to my other email....nikk2873@gmail.com

Thank you!!!

shawn0798 in Baltimore, Maryland

2 months ago

newatcoding09 in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: hi folks,
I too am interested in self study because I don't want to waste money on schools/courses that may be too drawn out and unnecessary. I feel I can learn the material easily. My background is that I studied physical therapy for 2 1/2 years about 10 years ago and completed 3 internships. I earned a B.S. in health sciences as part of a 2 + 1 program. I have a good memory. Is medical coding something that can be learned at a quicker pace? What are the main books needed? I recently purchased a small Billing and Coding pocket Guide, "Provider's Coding Notes" by Alice Anne Andress. Thanks for any feedback. I want to be able to pass the CCA and then earn the CCS after I gain employment in the medical coding world. I also hope to obtain the RHIT or RHIA.

I recommend ctccoding.com. They specializes in CPC, CPC-H CCS, and CPC training. Most of their medical coding courses are approved by the AAPC or AHIMA. Which are the organizations that certifies medical coders. They also offer live webinar courses.

chelle511 in Evans, Georgia

27 days ago

I recommend All About coding.. they are a licensed AAPC site.. and offer CPC review classes and coder training.. www.allaboutcodingllc.com

Dorothy in Wheaton, Illinois

25 days ago

My understanding is that to sit for the Certification Testing you are required to show proof that you have completed an academic program that includes anatomy and physiology, medical terminology in addition to the coding.
I am working through the Career Step program right now and one of the reasons I chose them is that their Medical Billing and Coding program is AHIMA approved so I know when it comes time for testing that I have covered the correct material to get certified. I had looked at a similar program through my local community college, but it lasts two years and would have cost me $15,000!

I am also very excited about graduating from the course because Career Step has recently partnered with a company called IOD who hires coders to work from home.

They have an offer right now where you can get a free laptop or $300 off when you sign up. Here is the link for that offer:
www.careerstep.com/?uid=ref36530

Natasha in San Jose, California

24 days ago

newatcoding09 in Deerfield Beach, Florida said: hi folks,

Hi,

You can definitely be successful in coding with your past experience and sound knowledge in anatomy and physiology, but if you are going to get a certification, you shouldn't waste your money by retaking the exam as CPC is a bit tough. I would recommend you to check this course here bit.ly/medical-coding before taking any exam.

Best of luck with your learning!

23 days ago

I ended up taking the AAPC's online course !

This course is so tough, i will even say it's tougher than nursing school.

I could never have done this on my own

If you do, get the AAPC's CPC review book and the Medical Coding Blitz Videos

23 days ago

and I am also a nurse

23 days ago

You do not have to show proof you finished a course or A&P before taking the test

Marci in Warren, Ohio

23 days ago

This is a cost effective course that covers everything from the beginning. It was created by coding instructors who actually TEACH this at physician offices and hospitals across the country 200 plus days per year. medicalcodingpro.com/medical-coding-certification-prep-course/

Ashley in Homestead, Florida

7 days ago

Hello I went to school for medical billing and coding and even did my externship but since then i have gotten married and had two children. And now I would like to take the exam what books can I use to study without going back to school

Thank you.

7 days ago

Ashley in Homestead, Florida said: Hello I went to school for medical billing and coding and even did my externship but since then i have gotten married and had two children. And now I would like to take the exam what books can I use to study without going back to school

Thank you.

Ashley, if you are going for your CPC exam, I recommend the AAPC Official Study Guide: www.aapc.com/training/cpc-study-guide.aspx. Afterall, they write the CPC Exam. You should do some timed Practice Exams to get you up to speed, and to determine how much proficiency you need to re-develop. A lot of free help is available at this website including a free practice exam. bit.ly/RFisXY

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.