Review of CPC Coding Certification Blitz

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

Rubie Taylor in Dothan, Alabama

23 months ago

I bought the 2012 blitz videos to help prepare to take the CPC exam. If you are looking for a sure way to pass the exam that is not what she offers even though she presents it as if it is. She does give some helpful advice, but there was no need to put it in a form of several videos nor was the advice worth spending over $200 for it (so naive). I was expecting more of an explanation on how to get good at understanding procedures & selecting the right codes and that is NOT what she offers.

Basically she shows you how to highlight what differentiates a code from another code in the same category (ie w/manipulation, w/out manip.) and how to group off or "bubble" the codes where the 1st code in the category gives the full description of the rest of the codes that are indented in that category (yeah WOW). Then she tells you to highlight key guidelines for each section & subsections of the CPT book then write a note to the side of the guidelines that emphasizes the point. You can get a book like 321 code it! copy key points into the CPT sections and do the exact same thing she tells you to do, but more cause she really skims over the sections.

AAPC tells you the same time management tips she tells you.
She will tell you to start from the back of the book with the easy ?s and work towards the front that is not good advice for someone that overthinks questions.

The best thing to do to prepare especially if you haven't bought your exam yet is to buy aapc's test practice bundle and practice & practice until you figure out the key to selecting the correct code along with getting a coding book to help you understand the guidelines or to assist in more coding practice.Then when you are ready buy the exam.

She might as well give that info in the blitz out for free (not worth much more anyways) cause if you subscribe to her Q&A you will definitely get the gist of her blitz.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Laureen Jandroep in Absecon, New Jersey

23 months ago

Hi Rubie - This is Laureen - the "she" you are referring to in this post. I wanted to reply since you posted something similar 25 days ago www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/CPC/Review-Lauren-s-CPC-Coding-Blitz-videos/t461665/p1.

I'm sorry my teaching method or videos were not for you - truly. I do have a 30 day refund policy. I also wanted to point out that with your purchase you had an hour one on one session with me to go over any areas you were struggling with. My records don't show you on my customer list so I have no idea if you took advantage of this or not.

For people that can't swing $179 for the videos - I also have many free videos on my YouTube channel youtube.com/codingcertification and as you mentioned I have a free monthly Q&A webinar that has become quite popular.

I continue to do my videos because of the positive feedback I get on a regular basis. See codingcertification.org/testimonials for some of them. The videos are of a live review class I teach at an AAPC chapter and record - hence them being in the form of several videos. This appeals to many because it's like being at the live event with the advantage of pausing and reviewing as needed.

You stated "I was expecting more of an explanation on how to get good at understanding procedures & selecting the right codes...". These videos are intended to be a review. I think I do a good job at helping people select the right code with my bubbling and highlighting technique to aid in process of elimination. As far as understanding procedures better - that is what we provide in our full coding course.

If you are still working toward certification I'd love to help you reach that goal - sincerely. Please contact me via my website and we can set up a call.

Happy Coding!

--Laureen Jandroep, CPC, CPC-I, CMSCS, CHCI
Sr. Instructor, CodingCertification.Org
(phone number and email on my site)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Zingarella in Cheshire, Connecticut

22 months ago

The only thing I agree with is trying to get a job as a CPC is next to impossible. They only want people with 2 years or more of experience or they will not even talk to you. I've even tried to offer working in a medical office for free and nothing. The CPC class cost me 2,500.00 dollars that I didn't even have. On top of it, I hear that everything is going EPIC anyways, slowly but surely coders will be replaced by a computer.
I do find Laureen's online videos very helpful. She really knows her coding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JoAnne Sheehan in Seabrook, New Hampshire

22 months ago

Good Morning Rubie,
I read your comments and was dismayed at how angry you were about the DVD Blitz. I found the remarks unjustified. My question is (1) Did you take a coding course anywhere first? (2) Do you have any experience working in a health care setting? (3) Do you perhaps find medical coding not the proper match for you in terms of a career choice? Coding is challenging and sometimes people find they have gifts in other areas in the business world. Do you present yourself in a professional manner? I have over 32 years experience in the field of billing and coding. I am a PMCC Instructor with the AAPC and have owned a medical billing and coding service since 1981. When I discovered Laureen Jandroep's DVDs, (which were strongly recommended by the AAPC's Instructor's Forum) I bought them, found them to be the most informative method of training- she is an excellent visual teacher- and I began purchasing them for my students and employees. You will not learn coding with just these DVDs (which are a review for the exam-not actual 1st time training). They are designed to enhance what you already know. The bubble and highlight method is brilliant for a seasoned coder who is flipping through the CPT on a daily basis. Coding is a process and to rely solely on the DVDs without further background training or on-the-job experience you will not find a high paying "work at home" job immediately. People need to be realisitic about their career goals. It is a step by step process.
I have worked from home and in an office for 32 years. My staff can work from home. They earned that priviledge through trust. Many of my students got jobs right away with various companies and work remotely from home. The one common area they shared to achieve their goals, was they worked in a health care setting, whether it was a receptionist job, or file clerk; they took a CPC course & reviewed the DVDs before the exam & all scored 88-96! The Blitz is everything it promises and more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JoAnne Sheehan in Seabrook, New Hampshire

22 months ago

To all,
In addition to my above comment, my faith in www.codingcertification.org and the CPC DVD Blitz is so strong, that I approached Laureen Jandroep, the owner,last year and asked if I could legally adopt her teaching method and become an affiliate. She is 200% for every student and wants them to succeed. She chooses her instructors and support staff to share her enthusiasm and offer the best training and support possible.
Laureen and her training course is everything she promises it to be and I feel priviledged that she allowed me to be part of her team.
Remember also, that networking at AAPC chapters, and being consistent with your job search will pay off. As a business owner who provides medical billing, coding, consulting and CPC training, when I see attacks on people and businesses on a public forum, I look at the person who is angry and blaming others for his or her lack of success, and wonder if their personality is as challenging as their negative comments online. Positive Attitude=Positive Results. Best of luck, everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rubie Taylor in Dothan, Alabama

22 months ago

I'm just letting others know that they don't have to be naive like I was & they don't have to waste their good money on the DVD. All you need to do is read & highlight guidelines in each section, write keynotes, use a coding book to understand the rules on certain cpt codes & note it in the book, pass practice exams, use the bubble/highlight method throughout the whole book, and and the CCO Q&A is available for free ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ishopkc in Clementon, New Jersey

17 months ago

Hi..
I am soooo wanting to see these but funds are low due to unemployment and family illness. If anyone is selling or even renting these if not selling please let me know.
thanks
kellie
ishopkc@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Huffman in Davenport, Florida

14 months ago

ishopkc in Clementon, New Jersey said: Hi..
I am soooo wanting to see these but funds are low due to unemployment and family illness. If anyone is selling or even renting these if not selling please let me know.
thanks
kellie
ishopkc@gmail.com

Hi to all,
I did get the blitz videos and got two of them and would be interested in selling them. I found them VERY helpful if nothing else but truly understanding my book and how to use it. I thought it was well worth the money. Anybody interested in buying them please let me know. Thanks Debbie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Huffman in Davenport, Florida

14 months ago

Hello Rubie,
I think if you read the "terms of service" and the "forum rules" it says be reasonable and BE POLITE! I am sorry that you feel the blitz videos were not helpful to you but bashing other people's comments isn't polite by any means. I think I also read that Laureen was trying to give you some help as she does everyone which I thought would have been helpful to you. Wish you the best and hope the best for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sugarae in Lockhart, Texas

13 months ago

Debbie Huffman in Davenport, Florida said: Hello Rubie,
I think if you read the "terms of service" and the "forum rules" it says be reasonable and BE POLITE! I am sorry that you feel the blitz videos were not helpful to you but bashing other people's comments isn't polite by any means. I think I also read that Laureen was trying to give you some help as she does everyone which I thought would have been helpful to you. Wish you the best and hope the best for you.

Debbie,

Can you email me please?

rashaun35@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

janis blue in Morrisville, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

if anyone is selling their blitz DVD please send me an email to pinkrosepetals2006@yahoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Smith in Fort Worth, Texas

12 months ago

I would also like to know if someone is selling their blitz video. please email me at amandashop4u@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

12 months ago

Practice exams are an excellent way to prepare for the CPC exam. They help you with timing and get you familiar with the layout and the feel of the actual exam. This is the cheapest practice exam I have found. medicalcodingpro.com/cpc-exam-1.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Smith in Fort Worth, Texas

12 months ago

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio said: Practice exams are an excellent way to prepare for the CPC exam. They help you with timing and get you familiar with the layout and the feel of the actual exam. This is the cheapest practice exam I have found. medicalcodingpro.com/cpc-exam-1.html

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jenna in Seattle, Washington

11 months ago

There are some tutorials and a huge set of video tuts on medicalbillingandcodingcertification.com. The site has an entire section dedicated to prepping for the exam, plus hints for job seekers with an explanation of the different professional orgs you can network with when you're first starting out. I think the info on the site is much more honest than some of the online programs out there. It's a huge field, but folks tend to overestimate how difficult the job market is, how technical the job is, and how tough it is to get your first coding job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenna in Seattle, Washington

11 months ago

Oh and the site also has a free eBook, including new info on the ICD-10, which is gonna change everything!

www.medicalbillingandcodingcertification.com/
www.medicalbillingandcodingcertification.com/certification-prep/
www.medicalbillingandcodingcertification.com/advice/

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Falin.wilkes@yahoo.com

10 months ago

I've recently just purchased the blitz videos and all of the information in the video is useful. It is very informative and she teaches techniques for a higher chance of success on passing the cpc. If you have no experience in coding then you will need to take a coding class, the blitz video builds on what you've already learned and what you have experience in. Even then she still is very easy to understand and he keeps it simple. I love the videos. So far I've passed all of the practice exams with flying colors. I will be siting for my cpc exam next month!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SVP in Columbus, Indiana

7 months ago

I would also like to know if someone is selling/renting their blitz video. please email me at sheetalprabhune@hotmail.com

Topaz07 in Poughkeepsie, New York

7 months ago

SVP in Columbus, Indiana said: I would also like to know if someone is selling/renting their blitz video. please email me at sheetalprabhune@hotmail.com

CCO materials should not be resold - it is a violation of the terms agreed to when purchased.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dawnuh in Richmond, Kentucky

7 months ago

Topaz07 That is absolutely ridiculous and really there is no way to enforce it. Once a dvd set or book or anything you buy is paid for you are the official owner and can do with it what you please. Even on ebay now you can find used copies of coding books and tests and so forth. That being said I too would be interested in buying a used copy of the blitz videos even an older edition d0nna96@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Delightful in Seaside, California

4 months ago

Hello Everyone,
I would like to know if anyone is selling the Blitz video. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much
Delight.

email me at delightnicole16@gmail.com or delightlemaster@yahoo.com

susieq572 in Lakeland, Florida

4 months ago

Rubie Taylor in Dothan, Alabama said: I bought the 2012 blitz videos to help prepare to take the CPC exam. If you are looking for a sure way to pass the exam that is not what she offers even though she presents it as if it is. She does give some helpful advice, but there was no need to put it in a form of several videos nor was the advice worth spending over $200 for it (so naive). I was expecting more of an explanation on how to get good at understanding procedures & selecting the right codes and that is NOT what she offers.

Basically she shows you how to highlight what differentiates a code from another code in the same category (ie w/manipulation, w/out manip.) and how to group off or "bubble" the codes where the 1st code in the category gives the full description of the rest of the codes that are indented in that category (yeah WOW). Then she tells you to highlight key guidelines for each section & subsections of the CPT book then write a note to the side of the guidelines that emphasizes the point. You can get a book like 321 code it! copy key points into the CPT sections and do the exact same thing she tells you to do, but more cause she really skims over the sections.

AAPC tells you the same time management tips she tells you.
She will tell you to start from the back of the book with the easy ?s and work towards the front that is not good advice for someone that overthinks questions.

The best thing to do to prepare especially if you haven't bought your exam yet is to buy aapc's test practice bundle and practice & practice until you figure out the key to selecting the correct code along with getting a coding book to help you understand the guidelines or to assist in more coding practice.Then when you are ready buy the exam.

She might as well give that info in the blitz out for free (not worth much more anyways) cause if you subscribe to her Q&A you will definitely get the gist of her

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

I recently took a class here in my hometown at a local career center after being in the medical field for 20+ years. I have a lot of education in the field also and thought that i would be able to pick this up pretty easily. I studied hard also up to 4 hours a day for 12 weeks. I did not pass the final the teacher gave us (nor did anyone else). I got a 56% on the exam. I really felt like i wasted a lot of time and very $1000.00. Very, very discouraging. Our teacher was not surprised though!!! I feel really duped and taken for a ride!!! I will be buying the Blitz videos soon hopefully!! If anyone has any out there to sell or even for rent or whatever i would love to talk with them.Thanks Susanne

4 months ago

susieq572 in Lakeland, Florida said:

i did not post that and it says i posted it.

4 months ago

I think after reviewing everything about the Blitz videos and the codingcertification.org that Laureen is doing a great job and i am looking forward to taking my exam again soon and Passing with all the help from her website and the Blitz videos. I know that this is a very hard field to get into and it takes a lot of diligence and determination to get into it. I recently took a class at a local college and did not pass neither did any of the others!!! Very disappointing after you put yourself into it and spend well over $1000.00.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laureen in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

3 months ago

Hi lathacoder!

Why not purchase the online version for $179. It includes a 60 question practice exam, weekly support calls and bonus videos. It is over 17 hours so asking for it to be emailed is prohibitive.

So please consider me and my team's hard work in creating these - this is how we support our families - and don't try to get a bootleg copy <g> - our kids thank you!

CPC Exam Sucess Formula ==> cco.pe/RE9MaO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lathacoder in Hyderabad, India

2 months ago

Hello Everyone,
I would like to know if anyone is selling/Rent the Blitz video after passing their CPC Exam. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.
email me srilathavdy@gmail.com

IloveCalifornia in Newport Beach, California

2 months ago

Laureen is now using AAPC's education materials, so her physician based medical billing course is the same as AAPC's course. If you take the course through Laureen's company, you will be assigned one coach (AAPC might provide you more support; check with AAPC).

What makes Laureen's course "special" is her lectures. To be honest, her lectures are NOT that helpful. Sometimes, she just reads the medical terms without explaining them. Why bother??? Also, she does NOT show you how to solve sample problems in the lecture videos. So you will need to read AAPC's textbook to learn how to solve the problems.

At the end of the day, if you are willing to make the efforts to read AAPC's textbook (and do all of the workbooks' problems), you will NOT need Laureen's lectures at all (which are not that helpful/updated anyway).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

akre.mary@gmail.com in Puyallup, Washington

1 month ago

Jenna in Seattle, Washington said: There are some tutorials and a huge set of video tuts on medicalbillingandcodingcertification.com. The site has an entire section dedicated to prepping for the exam, plus hints for job seekers with an explanation of the different professional orgs you can network with when you're first starting out. I think the info on the site is much more honest than some of the online programs out there. It's a huge field, but folks tend to overestimate how difficult the job market is, how technical the job is, and how tough it is to get your first coding job.

Hi Jenna, have you taken the CPC exam yet? I am trying to get some good tips for the test. tabbing the books etc... please let me know if you would be interested in chatting sometime. Thanks, Mary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

1 month ago

I was hesitant to buy the Blitz videos based on Rubie's review but I finally decided (in the middle of my CPC course) to go ahead and order them, hoping for the best. When they arrived I dove right in, while I was still in my CPC course. I watched each video right after I read the chapter in the class, then took the chapter test. The videos even helped me get through the class. I haven't sat for my CPC exam yet, that's next month, but I feel well-prepared for it. She doesn't just tell you how to highlight and bubble, she takes key guidelines, condenses them into a few words so you can write them next to the codes they pertain to. When you are taking a test (in a CPC course or the CPC exam) you can look to the code and automatically see any notes that would pertain to that code, thus helping you make your coding decision. Marking my book the way she has hers marked and listening to her explain WHY it says what it says, has helped me exponentially and I don't think I could make my coding decisions nearly as fast if it weren't for the guideline notes. The Blitz videos have been more than worth the price for me, I'm very happy I purchased them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sphiyada@gmail.com in Ventura, California

1 month ago

I try to called ask specific question to enroll the class, but no one returned my call. I hope to buy the text books + video to get start as soon as possible.

Can anyone tell me, how soon i can start the class?
Can I finish school as soon as i want and put my time for it?
or if anyone want to sell book, DVD what ever you have please e mail me.

sphiyada@gmail.com

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

IloveCalifornia in Newport Beach, California

25 days ago

sphiyada@gmail.com in Ventura, California said: I try to called ask specific question to enroll the class, but no one returned my call. I hope to buy the text books + video to get start as soon as possible.

Can anyone tell me, how soon i can start the class?
Can I finish school as soon as i want and put my time for it?
or if anyone want to sell book, DVD what ever you have please e mail me.

sphiyada@gmail.com

thank you

Well, that should be a red flag right there. It shows you how much they care about their customers (not).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

14 days ago

Just stopped back in to say that I passed my CPC exam on the first try with an 84. I have NO doubt that the notes in my CPT book (which were copied from Laureen's notes provided with the Blitz videos) helped me TREMENDOUSLY. When there were 2 codes that both made sense at first glance, those notes helped me quickly identify which code was correct. Very happy I bought the Blitz videos and now I'm CERTIFIED! Thanks Laureen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.