Thinking about taking online 6 month course for medical coding/billing/terminology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

knd1234 in Maysville, Georgia said: Hi. I'm 37 years old and thinking about making a total career change from an office manager for a retail company to medical billing, coding, terminology. I've been researching a online school that says I can get my certificate in six months. My question is will this be enough to get a job or do I have to have medical experience. Should I go into something else. I don't want to waste my time and money. Any suggestions as to what fields are in demand now?

Unfortunately most employers are now prefer to hire coders who have at least 2 years coding experience, so the chances of you getting a coding job after graduating are not high. However, most new grads get jobs elsewhere in HIM and then leverage for a coding job after gaining experience.

Coding jobs are in demand right now, but only for experienced and certified coders. Most jobs remain open for at least 6 months to not enough experienced coders applying. So hang in there, get your experience and then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job.

Due to the high unemployment, pretty much every field is requiring experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

christyro

42 months ago

These 6 month programs are a scam. Its impossible to learn in 6 months all you need to know. You will only get a useless, unaccredited certificate and will have wasted 6 monts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sarajoy2180 in Cedar City, Utah

42 months ago

christyro said: These 6 month programs are a scam. Its impossible to learn in 6 months all you need to know. You will only get a useless, unaccredited certificate and will have wasted 6 monts

Any recommendations on an accredited online college? Im wanting to get into this asap! Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

42 months ago

sarajoy2180 in Cedar City, Utah said: Any recommendations on an accredited online college? Im wanting to get into this asap! Thanks :)

I'd recommend attending your local community, technical or vocational school. They are less expensive than the private for profit schools, and most offer online classes.

I disagree with christyro, not all short coding programs are a scam, but many mislead prospective students about career opportunities and charge WAY too much for a certificate.

I got a certificate from my local community college and have done very well with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine Madeya ADN, CPC in Mentor, Ohio

24 months ago

Most of the online coding courses are scams. Plus you have no one to network with, to talk over code definitions, modifiers and especially to answer complicated question that only a Certified Coder can help you with. I have heard of many students spend all that money for online coding then only to FAIL the 5hour 40minute examination! I have been a Certified Coder through AAPC for over 10 years. I have been a Coding/Billing Instructor for over 8 1/2years. I am offering small to midsize coding instruction, beginning in the fall of 2012. I encourage you to give me a call or email if you are interested. My students DO PASS the coding examination the very first time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

eforge in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

I would like for Mrs. Christine Madeya to call or email me please for help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.