Tips for medical coder interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming medical coder interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Alonna Woodall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

97 months ago

I need some tips on interview questions i have an interview coming up Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Chesterland, Ohio

94 months ago

I am currently working as a guidance counselor and am hoping to make a career change soon into coding. As far as interviews go, I would suggest the basic interviewing techniques: Dress neat and appropriately, have a well written and cohesive resume, do your homework as far as the company you are interviewing with to show that you know something about what they do, show up on time, have good eye contact, and if they ask you a question you do not know, say you do not know. Don't pretend to know something that you do not. Lastly, it is good to have a list of questions that you would like answered at the end of the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Elle in Fort Wayne, Indiana

92 months ago

Common questions: What are CCI Edits? When is it okay to not go by CCI Edits? Are you familiar with NCDs? What about an LCD? Do you know how to find them? Are you familiar with payer policies? Do you code from books or from a computer program such as Encoder? What do you know about the OIG Exclusion Program? Or the Federal Register? How about CMS? Are you familiar with any IOMs? What are RVUs & how do we use them? What's the difference between a global surgical package and a global period?

If I need any information from any of the above, can you get it for me?

What's the difference between hospital coding & physician coding?

Then, be prepared to take a coding exam for whatever specialty you're interviewing.

This is a start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.