medical assistant vs medical coding & billing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Taylor7 in Aliso Viejo, California

24 months ago

Out of those 3 a Medical Coder will get paid the most. I would say none of those have high stress levels. As far as a better outlook in the long run, probably medical assistants. A lot of coding is now getting outsourced to places like India, therefore many coders in the U.S. are getting laid off as more and more companies do that to save money. NOT ALL THOUGH. There are definitely still many coding jobs out there-I just can't say for the future for sure. Medical billing typically refers to all the different aspects of it-charge entry, payment entry, collectors, cust service, including coding. But usually, in our office anyways, the billers are the charge entry people who basically just enter charges. For that, I would predict eventually we won't have a need for them as medical companies are relying more and more on technology that will be able to automatically do that. In my office for example, we have a need for less "billers" than before and soon enough, we will eliminate that position completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

d.cochran in Jacksonville, Florida

23 months ago

Don't know which one you have decided upon but...I went back to school got my diploma in medical billing and coding,passed the CPC exam,got my associates of science degree in Healthcare Reimbursement and CANNOT find a job-no experience. All that money in student loans! I almost fell as if it were a waste of time. I am wondering if medical assisting is just as hard without experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in West Jordan, Utah

22 months ago

d.cochran in Jacksonville, Florida said: Don't know which one you have decided upon but...I went back to school got my diploma in medical billing and coding,passed the CPC exam,got my associates of science degree in Healthcare Reimbursement and CANNOT find a job-no experience. All that money in student loans! I almost fell as if it were a waste of time. I am wondering if medical assisting is just as hard without experience?

Yes, you would run into the same issues if you pursue medical assisting. There are just so many candidates that employers can afford to be picky. Plus, it is expensive to train new employees and employers are always looking to save money, so they want people who can jump right into a job and require minimal training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Leominster, Massachusetts

5 months ago

I spent a lot of money going to school for Medical Assisting . And Unfortunately I have not been able to find a job yet going on 2 yrs now . what they do not tell you is if you do not have 3-5 years experience . very rare to get hired .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carol in Kissimmee, Florida

1 month ago

Wow so sad to read this, I'm so excited to start my career no I don't know if its worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sasha2010 in Alexandria, Virginia

26 days ago

That's not true that billers will be outdated. I have been self employed as a medical biller/consultant for the past 10yrs and I have never struggled with finding a practice to bill long term or short term.. Most docs are quite savy and don't want there billing outsourced to India. No machine can do the work of a human.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jaynelle in Fpo

9 days ago

I am considering taking courses for a certification in medical billing. I am an occupational therapy assistant, and I have a bachelors in physiology. I was wondering what school should I consider?...online only bc I am in Japan. Also, which is best to enter into this field, billing or coding? Any help is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.