need advice please - RHIT exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1996)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois

86 months ago

I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

miss in Hollywood, Florida

77 months ago

Christina said: Hi Cristina, I took my RHIT exam this past weekend and was successful in passing. The review in the 2008 was very comprehensive. I dont think you will have a problem. Good luck!!

Was the test more like the mock or the questions in the individual test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

76 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, does SJC stand for San Juan College? I have been looking at transferring over to that college so i can afford to get my degree. If so, how many classes have you taken there, what are your thoughts on the way the classes are designed and do you have to use a proctor for every quiz and test? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

76 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Hi Annie,
Nice to know someone near is working toward the same goal. I am currently working toward my Associates in HIM with SJC online. Their credits are only $40. a credit. Email me jdathompson1@gmail.com and maybe we can study or share info.

I will email you soon! I actually passed my RHIT exam yesterday :-) I felt very prepared, so I must have either tudied well or lucked out, lol! I am amazed at the credit hour cost of your HIT program--what school is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Congratulations on your success with the exam! When you have a free moment, would you mind sharing where you went to school and what the cost was? We'd also love to hear about where you get hired etc., when it comes time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado said: Congratulations on your success with the exam! When you have a free moment, would you mind sharing where you went to school and what the cost was? We'd also love to hear about where you get hired etc., when it comes time!

Sure :-) I went to Davenport University and I took a combination of online and in-seat classes. I had a great education, but it was very expensive ($400/credit hour, yikes!) and I would not do it again. I picked it because it was the closest CAHIM program at the time and because they offered the RHIA program as well (I don't think they have the BS program now.)

I had great teachers but the administration was awful--disorganized, misinformed and downright rude at times. For $400 an hour I'd expect to have better staffing, ugh. But I was hired right out of school to do data collection. I liked the work enough, but I also knew I wanted to work in the inpatient setting. Last month I was hired at a hospital as an ROI Technician. I love it and I also like that the last few coders have been promoted from ROI. They require the HIT degree and RHIT eligibility for the job at a minimum.

I was a very good student (4.0) but I had to work for it--it wasn't like I just showed up now and then and got good grades, lol! It is paying off, though, because many of my co-workers are RHIT or RHIA (within the whole department), and there is a knowledge base people just expect you to have.

I am not making anywhere near $20 an hour, but it is a start and I have realistic that it will probbaly take a couple of years to move ahead. I know I'm in the right place, though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

76 months ago

Hi Annie,

Congratulations on your success! Glad to know you were able to get in some where with your degree. Did Davenport (in Flint?) help you or was this done on your own?

Can you give us some advice on what to expect on the exam?

I also looked into Davenport, but I thought their credits were outrageous. I went with San Juan College online for my Associates. I plan to attend to a local college for my Bachelors. Maybe you can send me a listing of the books they used for their courses at jdathompson1@gmail.com.

Again, Congratulations!!!!!

Bty, how did you get your results so soon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Your Right!!!!

Great info. Thank You!!!!!

76 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Your Right!!!!

Great info. Thank You!!!!!

Referring to web.alfredstate.edu/him/mockrhit.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Hi Annie,

Congratulations on your success! Glad to know you were able to get in some where with your degree. Did Davenport (in Flint?) help you or was this done on your own?

Can you give us some advice on what to expect on the exam?

I also looked into Davenport, but I thought their credits were outrageous. I went with San Juan College online for my Associates. I plan to attend to a local college for my Bachelors. Maybe you can send me a listing of the books they used for their courses at jdathompson1@gmail.com.

Again, Congratulations!!!!!

Bty, how did you get your results so soon?

I took the exam at a Prometric testing site and they print out the results right after you finish--I thought I was going to pass out while I waited, lol! I think that if you take the exam at different times of the year you can't get your results right away--it depends on the version of the test (if it has been administered enough to make sure there aren't any errors). At least, that's what the AHIMA site says.

I got both of my jobs on my own, I have to say that Davenport was no help at all in that way. I originally thought it was smart to go with a local college for job search assistance, but that ended up not being true. I can email my study list if you want--it was an assignment for my HIT practicum class and it lists every domain of study and what book I used.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Thanks, that would be great if you could send me your list. So, it looks like it was perfect timing for you to take your test. Good for you! :-)
Hope your happy in your new position along with excellent coworkers.
Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Thanks, that would be great if you could send me your list. So, it looks like it was perfect timing for you to take your test. Good for you! :-)
Hope your happy in your new position along with excellent coworkers.
Take care.

I just emailed it :-)

As far as what to expect on the exam, that mock exam that I posted was right on the mark. I was suprised that there were so few coding questions, but the ones that were included were much more difficult than the ones on the CPT exam. There were a lot of calculations (occupancy rates, file space, autopsy rates, etc) and a lot of privacy/ROI/JCAHO stuff.

I found that you really have to read the questions all the way through to make sure you get what they're asking. You don't get to use any books, or even pencil and paper, but you do get a dry erase board and marker to use for scratch "paper". It was a little embarassing when I squeaked my marker, lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

75 months ago

I took my first three semesters, and then I went back to work for two years. I just completed the last semester, and I am studying to take the exam. I had a local studdy buddy, but she decided not to take the exam because it had been about three years since she graduated. I have bought the 2008 PRG, but the 2009 now is out, and I don't know if I need to go ahead and buy it also. Does anyone know when they start basing the test on the newest study guide? Is it as of Jan 1st?

My study budding and I put together a review PowerPoint on statistics, and information systems, and I have posted them on my website (www.medicalcodingresources.com) under the tab titled "studybuddy". I want the site to be for students to help students, so if anyone has anything that I can post that will help others study, please send it to me throught the website.

I also purchased the newest versions of Health Information Mange: Management of a Strategic Reourse, by Abdelhak, and the RHIT text by Johns put out by AHIMA, and the 2009 Faye Brown Coding Handbook. Does anyone have any specific suggestions of what to concentrate on? Has anyone taken the exam this year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Lorraine W in Connersville, Indiana said: What, just a class for the exam? How long ago did you graduate?

When my mother taught in a RHIT program, she always had review sessions in the summer after graudation, but no one does that now. The state associate had a one day review a couple of years ago, but they don't even do that now. It cost $100.00, and I am not sure a 1 day review would have been worth $100.00 You might want to check with your state associate, and see what they offer.

I was told that the Alfred College site was good, but I found that the coding test were not updated. It is just a bunch of test you can take, it does not actually review the material, and it cost $25.00

Cathy P Meridian, MS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Cat in Pensacola, Florida said: That would be great if you were allowed to bring in loose papers to the testing sites, but since you are not. A book is what you need as there is no encoder either. And in the book you can write all kinds of notes about the test and what might be on it plus codes you might need, as long as it is in the coding book they don't care, just no loose paper not even to tab a section for youself, but you can always bend the pages.

Are You talking about the RHIT test? AHIMA's website says you can't take the code book to the test. I am assuming the questions will be like the ones on the PRG 2008 which has some codes to choose from, and you have to chose the right ones in the correct order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Annie in Millington, Michigan said: Sure :-) I went to Davenport University and I took a combination of online and in-seat classes. I had a great education, but it was very expensive ($400/credit hour, yikes!) and I would not do it again. I picked it because it was the closest CAHIM program at the time and because they offered the RHIA program as well (I don't think they have the BS program now.)

I had great teachers but the administration was awful--disorganized, misinformed and downright rude at times. For $400 an hour I'd expect to have better staffing, ugh. But I was hired right out of school to do data collection. I liked the work enough, but I also knew I wanted to work in the inpatient setting. Last month I was hired at a hospital as an ROI Technician. I love it and I also like that the last few coders have been promoted from ROI. They require the HIT degree and RHIT eligibility for the job at a minimum.

I was a very good student (4.0) but I had to work for it--it wasn't like I just showed up now and then and got good grades, lol! It is paying off, though, because many of my co-workers are RHIT or RHIA (within the whole department), and there is a knowledge base people just expect you to have.

I am not making anywhere near $20 an hour, but it is a start and I have realistic that it will probbaly take a couple of years to move ahead. I know I'm in the right place, though!

If you are looking for an online school, I graduated with an A.S from Dakota State University for about $220 a semester. They don't charge out of state tuition, and I like the fact that most of the classes were video taped and uploaded at the end of the day. So you get the experience just like sitting in class. I am starting to take classes toward by B.S this semester. (www.dsu.edu)

cathy Pearson
www.medicalcodingresources.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

75 months ago

No my post is for the CCS exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Ohio

75 months ago

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois said: I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. I took a clerical job & put my RHIT exam on the back burner. I am currently reviewing my coding knowledge. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Donna in Ohio said: Same thing happened to me. I took a clerical job & put my RHIT exam on the back burner. I am currently reviewing my coding knowledge. Any suggestions?

My advice is the same as what I wrote above--and to say that I wouldn't delay much longer! I used the 2008 and 2004 PRGs. I was told by an AHIMA rep that it was fine to use a PRG that is a few years old because the RHIT exam is pretty static in terms of the knowledge being tested. I don't think you can do the same for a coding test, but the RHIT is different.

I would be sure to use two study guides (from different years) because I found that after a while I knew all of the questions in the 2008 guide. I bought the 2004 very cheap (w/cd) on Amazon. Oh--be sure to practice with the CD's because the test is electronic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

My teacher says there is a bank of test questions that AHIMA pulls from, but she never said whether or not buying the older PRG would help. I did read on another discussion board from a person who took the test recently that there were test questions from the 2005 & 2006 PRG on the test.

Cathy Pearson
cp122578@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melba in Virginia Beach, Virginia

75 months ago

Annie in Millington, Michigan said: I will email you soon! I actually passed my RHIT exam yesterday :-) I felt very prepared, so I must have either tudied well or lucked out, lol! I am amazed at the credit hour cost of your HIT program--what school is it?

Hello annie, Congratulations !! Please give to all of us your tips to pass this test. Nobody has says anyting about previous failure. I'm one of them. I failed in 2006 !! I'm trying to take this test again but I'm soo scared to fail again.

cp122578@yahoo.com in Oxford, Mississippi

75 months ago

I attended Dakota State University, for about $220 per semester hour. The HIT program had most of the classes videotaped, but I have discovered that only the HIT classes have videos. The upper level HIA classes do not provide videos. I am taking two non HIA Courses this semester, and I am already seeing that the non HIA teacher don't really have it on the ball. I have one teacher that is trying to give assignments from an older edition of the book, which are not in the edition that was sold by the bookstore and they are not available in my book. Another teacher is not posting grades for the assignments, nor is she providing feedback on the assignments. She said that she will be posting an average grade once per month. She also said that the grade book feature of their new course delivery software, Desire to Learn, was too difficult to deal with, and she was "not going to fight it". Neither of the teachers have responded to emails or discuss boards about these problems. Up to this point, I had been very satisfied with the University. I transferred in most of my non-HIT courses, so until this semester I had only taken two non-HIT courses. I guess you can tell I am pretty frustrated so far this semester. Let me just say that “Desire to Learn” is a horrible online system. They had WebCT, I don’t know why the switched.

Richard Riche in Boca Raton, Florida

75 months ago

can you take the RHIT exam if your degree was not a health information management. i've got a bachelor in health care administration, i'm interested in taking some classes and seat in for the text, but that currulum is long, i basically would have to get another bachelor. are there any way around it?

Michelle in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

I will be starting a program in HIT soon, but I was wondering about the pay scale for a new person just out of a program. I currently make $20+ an hour but I really dislike my job. I am not sure if my family can survive on anything less. I am concerned if this is the right field for me. I am currently working in the health care/pharmacuetical industry and can only take online courses. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Here in Colorado I have heard that average pay is around $29K to start. You have to start from the bottom up if you are going to end up coding, but getting your foot in the door from what I have heard is very difficult. Most employers want at least 2 years experience.

cp122578@yahoo.com in Purvis, Mississippi

75 months ago

Please check out the following website where you will find links to the most recent salary suveys. www.medicalcodingresources.com/EMPLOYMENT.html

There is one from AHIMA, AAPC, and Advance. The one from Advance deals strictly with coders, and shows salaries based on 0-2 years of experience.

75 months ago

Cinnamon in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, As long you got a 2 yr or 4-yr or any college degree you can take the AHIMA RHIA or RHIT exam. You just show proof of your education.

Not true, sorry! You have to have a degree in HIT from a CAHIM accredited school. Read the credentialing section on the AHIMA site and if you're still not sure just call them :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Richard Riche in Boca Raton, Florida said: can you take the RHIT exam if your degree was not a health information management. i've got a bachelor in health care administration, i'm interested in taking some classes and seat in for the text, but that currulum is long, i basically would have to get another bachelor. are there any way around it?

The only way around it is to find a post-baccelaurate program for the RHIA. (I have my RHIT with an Associate's in HIT and a BA in English. I hoped I would be able to take the RHIA exam instead--I even called AHIMA, but there are no other options.) Your undergrad is close enough that you will probably have a lot of overlap as far as credits are concerned.

YOu have to go through the AHIMA site to the CAHIM site that lists the accredited schools. If you do not go to a CAHIM accredited school chances are that your degree will not be accpeted by AHIMA--you won't be allowed to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578@yahoo.com in Purvis, Mississippi

75 months ago

Check out this link on AHIMA's site. It explains that you have to graduate from a HIT or HIA school to take the test.

www.ahima.org/certification/rhia.asp

They use to allow people who had a RHIT and a four year degree in another field to sit for the exam, but I think that has changed. Now you must graduate from an approved school

Cathy Pearson

Richard Riche in Boca Raton, Florida

74 months ago

Thanks

74 months ago

Cinnamon in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Sorry! No one your incorrect. I have been contacted AHIMA and stated if you have a graduate degree, a person can apply to take the RHIA or RHIT test. Thank you. Have a wonderful day!

From the AHIMA site:

Eligibility Requirements

RHIA applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:

Successfully complete the academic requirements, at the baccalaureate level, of an HIM program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)

OR

Graduate from an HIM program approved by a foreign association with which AHIMA has a reciprocity agreement

RHIT applicants must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:

Successfully complete the academic requirements, at an associate’s degree level, of an HIM program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)

Graduate from an HIM program approved by a foreign association with which AHIMA has a reciprocity agreement

The academic qualifications of each candidate will be verified before a candidate is deemed eligible to take the examination. All first-time applicants must submit an official transcript from their college or university.

At one time you could have a degree from another dicipline but they eliminated this route. Are you an RHIT/RHIA already? Perhaps you were grandfathered in. Otherwise an exception must have been made for you because the website is very clear.

OP with the questions, I'd call AHIMA to check ;-)

74 months ago

Cinnamon in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Sorry! No one your incorrect. I have been contacted AHIMA and stated if you have a graduate degree, a person can apply to take the RHIA or RHIT test. Thank you. Have a wonderful day!

A graduate degree is generally interpreted to mean a Master's degree, not a BA or AAS. I think that is correct, that if you have your Masters degree you may take the RHIT/RHIA exams, but that exception has to be made by AHIMA.

Tina in Centreville, Virginia

74 months ago

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois said: I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

You should contact AHIMA about your situation. They also sell an RHIT prep exam book that might be helpful.

Pammett in Great Falls, Montana

74 months ago

Has anyone checked out Montana State University, they have an HIT program that is all online. I'll be graduating this spring and the program is intense. They have some great professors there also! The web site is www.msugf.edu/ , this one is located in Great Falls called MSU-Great Falls College of Technology, Montana and is a branch from the main college which is located in Bozmen, Montana. Check it out!

Elizabeth in Anderson, California

73 months ago

kamikea in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hello everyone My name is Kamille and Iam a college student looking to go into the field of HIT. I really feel this field is a great fit for me, but the more I look around just to see what kind of jobs are availible the more I see most companies looking for experienced coders or RHIT's when I gradute I won't have hardly any expericence. How much will that hurt me and is it best just to look into to something else. Do you think I will have a hard time finding a job?

Hi Kamille,
I am working on my Associate degree in HIT. I have the same concern you do...without experience, who is going to hire me? Then I started to look at all of the medical receptionist type jobs out there that just require H.S. education, familiarity with medical terminology, at least these types of jobs will get our foot in the door, like "Lellerbrock1" suggests. Good Luck!

Nisha in Nashville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Annie in Millington, Michigan said: I will email you soon! I actually passed my RHIT exam yesterday :-) I felt very prepared, so I must have either tudied well or lucked out, lol! I am amazed at the credit hour cost of your HIT program--what school is it?

I took my exam Monday and I passed and I had been studying the Prg review guide (2008 and 2005) for months and I went through the entire book and i took the MOCK RHIT exam over and over. I tell you the questions do have to have to be read thoroughly and there weren't many coding questions on the test. If you are scoring well on the prg questions u should do just fine but I left with a headache. I'm glad it is over. Good Luck to u all!!

Lori Alvarez in North Platte, Nebraska

73 months ago

Nisha, did you study from anything other then the PRG? I have the 05, 08 and 09 CD and the 05 & 08 PRG books. Is it a must to go over all books and the CD? I am scaried to death about the CPT. On the CD there are so many questions and they are hard for me. How many questions can you miss to still pass and can you tell me what fields should I study the most for on the RHIT exam? I have to get this taken by May and I hate the thought of going in there and falling. Test scare me to death. Any advise would be helpful, I just keep putting it off and I am tired of it sitting on my shoulders, weighing me down. Thanks for yur help. Lori

Lori Alvarez in North Platte, Nebraska

73 months ago

Nisha-by the way good job!

73 months ago

Lori Alvarez in North Platte, Nebraska said: Nisha, did you study from anything other then the PRG? I have the 05, 08 and 09 CD and the 05 & 08 PRG books. Is it a must to go over all books and the CD? I am scaried to death about the CPT. On the CD there are so many questions and they are hard for me. How many questions can you miss to still pass and can you tell me what fields should I study the most for on the RHIT exam? I have to get this taken by May and I hate the thought of going in there and falling. Test scare me to death. Any advise would be helpful, I just keep putting it off and I am tired of it sitting on my shoulders, weighing me down. Thanks for yur help. Lori

Well don't be scared of the Cpt because their were very few coding questions on the test about maybe 8 to ten Questions in all. U can miss 52 questions out of 150 and pass u only have to have 79 correct. So even if u miss all of the coding u can still pass. I also ordered flashcards off the internet and used those. I only used the Prg 05 and 08 and I read the flashcards. It was alot about release of information,statistics (a few)quality and management, human resources. Just take the questions on the Cd over and over and I promise u will do fine.

Lori A in North Platte, Nebraska

73 months ago

Nisha, thanks so much for the reply. Were there a lot of questions about different type of graphs (spider, pie, bar, etc)? Where the flash cards helpful? If so where did you get them at? Are you working in the HIM field? When did you graduate from the RHIT program? Have a good day.

73 months ago

Lori A in North Platte, Nebraska said: Nisha, thanks so much for the reply. Were there a lot of questions about different type of graphs (spider, pie, bar, etc)? Where the flash cards helpful? If so where did you get them at? Are you working in the HIM field? When did you graduate from the RHIT program? Have a good day.

Know what a pareto chart, run and bar graph was and what it was used for the flash cards help alot especially on determining what different items meant as far as what it was used for. Google in Rhit exam flashcards and they will come up they were about 39.95. I graduated at Louisiana Tech University in O7 and I needed to be refreshed so the flash cards helped me alot.I have been working about 6 months at a local hospital and everyone wanted experience, but I didn't give up and I applied anyway and they hired me, so don't give up and not apply because they say they want experience I didn't have any and I am a outpatient coder for the emergency room dept and I am doing well. there were 8 questions on the Health data structure,content and standards, 9 questions Healthcare Information Requirements and Standards, 14 on Clinical Classification Systems,8 on Reimbursement Methodologies, 7 on Healthcare statistics and Research,9 on Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement,10 on Heathcare Delivery systems, 13 on Healthcare Compliance, Confidentiality, Ehtical, Legal, and Privacy Issues, 10 on Information and Commuication Technologies, 10 on Data Storage and Retrieval, 6 on Data security, 6 on Healthcare Information Systems, 14 on Human Resources and 6 on Financial and Physical Resources. I got this off of my printout from the test if this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thanks so much for all of the help. that will be very useful. I currently work in the HIM department in a rural hospital, 116 bed. I have worked here for 10 years. The problem is that I graduated in 2005. I am very rusty! I will google the cards. Thanks again for your help.

73 months ago

Lori A in North Platte, Nebraska said: Thanks so much for all of the help. that will be very useful. I currently work in the HIM department in a rural hospital, 116 bed. I have worked here for 10 years. The problem is that I graduated in 2005. I am very rusty! I will google the cards. Thanks again for your help.

YOU ARE SO WELCOME AND THE CARDS WILL HELP ALOT BECAUSE THEY ARE IN GREAT DETAIL AND WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE HOSPITAL IT WILL HELP KNOW SOME OF IT JUST FROM WORKING. IF U CONSTANTLY TEST YOURSELF AND UNDERSTAND Y YOUR ANSWER IS INCORRECT U WILL DO FINE. I ALSO FOUND A MOCK RHIT EXAM THAT I PRACTICE WITH AND PRINTED out ON www.alfredstate.edu .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I just finished ordering the flash cards. I hope that I am able to take this exam in May, do not want to waste the summer studing for it. Are you planning on going for your RHIA? I don't think I can at this time. The children keep me running and don't want to do any more studing until the youngest gets older! Have a good day.

Michele576 in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

I have an extensive background in the medical field and should have done this years ago--but kids and all, you know. I want to go into medical billing and coding. At 51, do you all suggest I get the degree or can I still get good employment with a certificate? Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks much!

73 months ago

My study buddy and I put together a few powerpoints, and I posted them on my website. I put up the site for students to help students. I have powerpoints on organizining and displaying data (the pareto chart, run and bar charts, etc), statistics, and information systems. They are posted on the "studybuddy" tab of www.medicalcodingresources.com. I put the site up for students to help students, so if anyone has any study material for the RHIA, RHIT, or CCS (no copy write material please), then please send it to me, and I will post it. We used the PRG questions, and looked up the information for the powerpoints. If you see TQ or red print, it directly relates to a queston in the 2008 PRG.

I also put a link to the RHIA student site where they have a glossery of terms, some of which I am sure will be on the test. I think it is a quick way to review the terms.

I am taking classes toward RHIA, so I am going to wait until this semester is over and take the RHIT. I am going to search for and order the flash cards. Do you know who prints them? Can you get them through Amazon?

73 months ago

Lori A in North Platte, Nebraska said: Nisha, thanks so much for the reply. Were there a lot of questions about different type of graphs (spider, pie, bar, etc)? Where the flash cards helpful? If so where did you get them at? Are you working in the HIM field? When did you graduate from the RHIT program? Have a good day.

The PRG have a good number of questions about what modifier to use. Were there any of these type question? I
Cathy P

73 months ago

What is a "spider" graph? I took that course about 4 years ago, and I don't remember that. That is not in the PRG, is it on the test?

Cathy P

RHIT Coder in Connersville, Indiana

73 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: What is a "spider" graph? I took that course about 4 years ago, and I don't remember that. That is not in the PRG, is it on the test?

Cathy P

Good question--I don't ever remember them being mentioned when I was in school (but that was ages ago).

I found this on Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_chart

73 months ago

CP-thanks for all of the wonderful powerpoints. You did a lot of work on that. We are going out town this weekend and this will be perfect traveling study info. Thanks again so much, from what I looked at it will be very useful. Lori

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.