I need help on where to start with schooling..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Heather H in Baltimore, Maryland

39 months ago

Hello I am a 29 year old female working in a HIM job as a document imaging tech and my work reimburses $5000 a year for education. I want to start training as a medical coder but I dont know where to start. Is it better to get a diploma or an associates in something? Is it better to go to a local college that is not ahima certified or train online? I am overwhelmed and need the process explained in simple terms. Help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Topaz07 in Poughkeepsie, New York

38 months ago

Here's a free download on "Get Your First Job in Medical Coding". bit.ly/14W3HeJ which explains the various options for schooling and certifications.

Also, if you are looking for an online school with a coach and a lot of support (free Webinars, video lessons, forum, various courses, and more on the way) check the main website here: bit.ly/RFisXY

I got my CPC-A certification - on my one try -- in about 7 months using the Physician Based Coding Course and the Blitz Review Videos, with very little medical field experience or prior course work! Medical coding is easy to learn if you are taught well and are willing to study.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Coding Manager in Mesa, Arizona

38 months ago

My advice is to find an AHIMA accredited school and take either an RHIT or CCS credential eligible program. I have credentials from both AHIMA and AAPC and the AHIMA credentials are more desired by hospitals. The hospital I work at as a manager does not accept AAPC credentials from applicants (although some have them in addition to AHIMA) but we do hire people in AHIMA programs who haven't taken a test yet or are newly credentialed CCA holders. Many of the applicants we hire are internal hospital employees who work in other departments but have expressed an interest in coding so this is an option as well. Coding can be a difficult subject to learn online (I'm in an RHIA program online right now) so I'd recommend taking at least A&P, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology and Coding classes in the live environment if possible. The one year coding program I attended ten years ago (I earned my CPC first) was about 30 credits and while I did break into coding with it my initial jobs were very low paying and I only was accepted into hospital coding with an AHIMA credential. One thing I would advise you is don't go far into debt to learn coding. There are some for-profit schools that offer a faster program for $10k or more that get you in a position to take the CPC exam. You won't see a return on your investment here. Instead find an accredited community college program and put in at least a year taking CCS eligible classes then take the CCA when done. After that start applying and after getting a bit of experience try the CCS. Good luck to you.

egd in Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire

36 months ago

Heather H in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello I am a 29 year old female working in a HIM job as a document imaging tech and my work reimburses $5000 a year for education . I want to start training as a medical coder but I dont know where to start. Is it better to get a diploma or an associates in something? Is it better to go to a local college that is not ahima certified or train online? I am overwhelmed and need the process explained in simple terms. Help...

check out Andrews School. It is an online program and meets all the requirements for sitting for the CCS. Most students who graduate do pass both CPC and and CCS exams. It teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding with anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology and medical terminology. It is a straight shot to coding, no fluff, reasonable price.

kerry1981 in Trumbull, Connecticut

36 months ago

Heather H in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hello I am a 29 year old female working in a HIM job as a document imaging tech and my work reimburses $5000 a year for education . I want to start training as a medical coder but I dont know where to start. Is it better to get a diploma or an associates in something? Is it better to go to a local college that is not ahima certified or train online? I am overwhelmed and need the process explained in simple terms. Help...

Heather, Have considered doing an online medical coding program from an accredited online school? Entering any medical related field today with the highest level of education will better your chances of getting a job and possibly making a few extra dollars.

Medical Billing And Coding Certification – Excellent Career Choice." Nursing-classes.info. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Oct. 2013. www.nursing-classes.info/medical-billing-coding/medical-billing-and-coding-certification/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.