Any other age 50+ here starting a coding career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 139)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Cindi in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

85 months ago

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: At age 52 I find myself in the position of starting my life over; divorce. It is difficult to decide just what I want to do now that I am all grown up, :) I am very interested in coding and to be sure I have the aptitude for it I bought lots of anatomy, med. terminology, and a couple of coding books and researched everything I can find on the internet about coding. I think it would be a perfect career for me. But...it seems as though finding an entry-level job is the big challenge.

Back in the day, before the Internet, a person cold called businesses with their resume in hand, made lots of phone calls, and networked like crazy to find work. Doesn't that work anymore?

I worry that my age is going to work very much against me. I see what appears to be many much younger people on this forum having a terrible time. Is there anyone else here starting over in their 50's or older? I would love to hear from others in my situation and where they are at in realizing their career goals in the coding field.

I am very happy to happened across this forum. Good luck to all of you working so hard to make your coding dreams come true.

Mia

Hi Mia,
I highly recommend pursuing a career in coding or HIM management. What is your background? My e-mail address is himdirector@tch-ok.org. Feel free to contact me. Best regards, Cindi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Cindi in Tahlequah, Oklahoma said: Hi Mia,
I highly recommend pursuing a career in coding or HIM management. What is your background? My e-mail address is himdirector@tch-ok.org. Feel free to contact me. Best regards, Cindi

Hi Cindy, I to you using the email addy you posted, himdirector@tch-ok.org and the email was returned undeliverable. If you would like to post an email addy that works that would be great. :) Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: Hi Cindy, I to you using the email addy you posted, himdirector@tch-ok.org and the email was returned undeliverable. If you would like to post an email addy that works that would be great. :) Thanks.

hahaha that did not come out as I thought it would.

I meant to say "I tried to send you an email" etc. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in San Diego, California

85 months ago

mia,
my friend did the medical insurance and billing. She tried to do surgical technician which is another thing you might try. The problem is the state she is in the class was expensive, whereas in this state it was much more reasonable, and for a shorter period of time.
I know what you mean about the job market for our age group. I'm still pondering myself, but so far am just working on my own inventions. You don't mention what kind of pay you are needing. Instructional aides are always needed most states but the pay is so variable.
good luck, jill

Jill in San Diego, California

85 months ago

The community college here is $18 a unit. For now. It was up to 36, of course when I had kids there. As soon as they moved on to university the unit price went down.
Yes, 15 is a stretch. I find it a shame that so many people with great skills have so much difficulty. Maybe you could get a management position in an office or retail establishment. That should be at least 15 if not more.
And you could still take classes.
jill

Lorraine W. in Connersville, Indiana

85 months ago

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: At age 52 I find myself in the position of starting my life over; divorce. It is difficult to decide just what I want to do now that I am all grown up, :) I am very interested in coding and to be sure I have the aptitude for it I bought lots of anatomy, med. terminology, and a couple of coding books and researched everything I can find on the internet about coding. I think it would be a perfect career for me. But...it seems as though finding an entry-level job is the big challenge.

Back in the day, before the Internet, a person cold called businesses with their resume in hand, made lots of phone calls, and networked like crazy to find work. Doesn't that work anymore?

I worry that my age is going to work very much against me. I see what appears to be many much younger people on this forum having a terrible time. Is there anyone else here starting over in their 50's or older? I would love to hear from others in my situation and where they are at in realizing their career goals in the coding field.

I am very happy to happened across this forum. Good luck to all of you working so hard to make your coding dreams come true.

Mia

Coding sounds like it would be a great avenue for you. When I was in my 2-year HIT program at age 32, I was right in the middle age-wise. In fact, most of the students were over 40, and we had one student who was 60.

In coding departments, while it varies from facility to facility, there is always a very large age span present. You would not feel out of place in most environments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SOPHIA in Winter Park, Florida

83 months ago

Mia

Hi Mia,

I am almost 43 and have been in the property & casualty insurance. I'm tired of being laid off (3 times). I am studying online Medical Billing and Coding @ PennFoster. I love the course and it's very affordable.

Don't give up! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

SOPHIA in Winter Park, Florida said: Hi Mia,

I am almost 43 and have been in the property & casualty insurance. I'm tired of being laid off (3 times). I am studying online Medical Billing and Coding @ PennFoster. I love the course and it's very affordable.

Thank you for the supportive response as well as thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It is a scary time in my life at the moment so the supportive suggestions and encouragment have been very helpful. I do not feel near as intimidated regarding returning to school at my age. I am obviously not alone.

Thank you again very much and the best good luck to all of you.

Mia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lonnie in Mount Airy, North Carolina

83 months ago

What kind of training would you suggest? I am 51 and a male with bad knees that can't do my old kind of work. I am thinking of coding. Pros and cons and all information would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Jenna in Decatur, Alabama

82 months ago

Hello

I am 46 and just recently received my two year degree in HIM. I have not yet landed a job because I live in a small town area where there are not any coding jobs open. The larger cities that are 2 hours from me have many coding jobs available that will accept new coders. I went to school with a girl that landed one of these coding jobs in the larger cities. When I started the HIM program, I researched how the coding field was in growing need of coders. It obviously is not in my area!! I have contacted many outsourcing companies and they tell me I need at least 2 years experience, and when there are openings for a coding position, they want experienced coders in my area and they can get them because the experienced are in line waiting for these sparse jobs. I think the great need for coders are for the larger cities. If the new coders could some how get there foot in the door to get the experience, and be able to code remote, this could solve the desparate need the larger cities have for coders. The small town coders could code remote for the larger cities! If it could only happen!

Jenna

MPinFlorida in Jacksonville, Florida

82 months ago

Hi, Mia! I can sympathize with your concerns... it's pretty scary because I have had the suspicion that I have been a victim of age discrimination while job hunting. I am a R.N. so at least I can earn decent money. There is little job discrimination in nursing as most nurses are older rather than younger, but I just do not like nursing all that much. Too much stress and the 12 hour shifts are getting old. I just switched from working nights for the past 5 years to working days, and it helps, but I am definitely looking for a job change. I am currently taking a medical transcription course through Career Step, but I am worried about how much I can make doing it when I'm finished. There is definitely an excellent market for medical billing and coding, but I'm not sure what the pay is.

I have a friend who is 53 who is also a nurse and is desparately looking to change careers. Good luck to you and remember there are many of us over 50 ladies who are changing careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

MPinFlorida in Jacksonville, Florida

82 months ago

I forgot to mention my age - just turned 53 last month!

Chelsy in Liberty Twp, Ohio

81 months ago

SOPHIA in Winter Park, Florida said: Hi Mia,

Sophia,

How long have you been online with this course and company? Have they been helpful, and are you happy with the course?

Chelsy

Michelle Rimmer, CHI,CBCS in Brick, New Jersey

81 months ago

the forum needs 'spellcheck' lol....I meant 'PREMIUM'

Donna in Hartford, Connecticut

81 months ago

Hi,
I just found this forum. Have been sitting at the computer in the library looking at job listings. I am 46 years old and just graduated from a program in 12-2007 in coding that I took for 2yrs at night. I to am looking for an entry level job. No luck yet. It is very frustrating at times I feel that I wasted a lot of time and money now I have to pay back student loan. Every one wants experience but nobody seems to want to open the door for you to get in. Have been on a couple of interviews but no luck so far. I have not taken the test for CPC yet

Mia

Sophia in Winter Park, Florida

81 months ago

You should try to apply at a hospital. Maybe you will have better luck and you also will get more training.

Good Luck

Cassandra in Baltimore, Maryland

80 months ago

I am 51 and have worked in healthcare for over 30 years. I just enrolled into the HIT program at a local community college. I already have an AA degree in another field. The current position I hold is slowly being phased out by technology. I see the writing on the wall. So while I have tuition reimbursement I need to train for a different career. I to have a concern about finding an entry level position. Where I currently work there is a shortage of coders, but even this hospital wants 3-5 years experience.

Sophia in Winter Park, Florida

80 months ago

Chelsy in Liberty Twp, Ohio said: Sophia,

How long have you been online with this course and company? Have they been helpful, and are you happy with the course?

Chelsy

Hi Chelsy,

I love my class. Although, you have really motivate yourself since you aren't in a classroom. The school is an accredited school and well know. It is listed with the US Dept. of Education. I did my research before enrolling. They are very helpful and I have absolutely no complaints. The school is Penn Foster Career School. I love it and glad about the choice that I made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna Los Angeles in Lancaster, California

79 months ago

Mia

Mia did you ever finish the medical billing courses to become a medical biller? I too am in the same position and would like some feedback.

D

Cassandra in Baltimore, Maryland

79 months ago

Ditto :) I'm currently enroll in a program at my local community college and I constantly worry about the age factor.

mlamotte in Payson, Arizona

78 months ago

Mia

Hi Mia, yes I am actually 48 but I have a cleaning service and I just can't handle jumping in when my help does not show, my age is clearly a factor now. I have been researching medical coding or pharmacy tech. Coding is actually winning because it is more money. Please let me know if you have started and which school you are attending.I need some help figuring this all out. I am also divorced and starting over. Michelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

I'm glad I stumbled across this site. It seems there are a lot of people going through the same thing I am. I'm 45 and just finished a medical billing and coding program. I am studying for my CCA exam. It is hard to get a job as a medical coder when you have no experience. I have been an admin. asst. in a CPA firm for 18 years. I too can not take a job making less than $15 or $16 an hour. That is what I make now. It seems the hospitals require all these credentials and don't want to pay you much. I have looked at salaries for various health care careers-surgical tech., tumor registrar, unit secretary, so on and so on. Sometimes I have wondered what I was thinking. Maybe I should have just become an accountant. (It's boring though). I am determined. I like the medical coding and health care field. I just keep telling myself it will all work out some day. Well good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

77 months ago

Hi Cindy, we have a free practice exam available at www.medicalcodingpro.com and some other tools for very little. It might help you prepare for your exam. Let us know if we can help!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gregg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara S in Maryville, Tennessee

77 months ago

Cindy in Houston, Texas said: I'm glad I stumbled across this site. It seems there are a lot of people going through the same thing I am. I'm 45 and just finished a medical billing and coding program. I am studying for my CCA exam. It is hard to get a job as a medical coder when you have no experience. I have been an admin. asst. in a CPA firm for 18 years. I too can not take a job making less than $15 or $16 an hour. That is what I make now. It seems the hospitals require all these credentials and don't want to pay you much. I have looked at salaries for various health care careers-surgical tech., tumor registrar, unit secretary, so on and so on. Sometimes I have wondered what I was thinking. Maybe I should have just become an accountant. (It's boring though). I am determined. I like the medical coding and health care field. I just keep telling myself it will all work out some day. Well good luck to all!

Hi Cindy: I am in the exact same place you are. I am 47 and in the accounting field (finance) making $17+/hour. I either want to take the Online Med & Billing program that is offered at the Univer of Tenn thru the Continuing education site. I have also been thinking about Pharmacy Tech thru the university also that they are offering 2 nights a week. The problem seems to be the pay when I graduate. Did you like the course you took though?
I think it may be hard to get your foot in the door but maybe hospitals is a easier place to get in. I am thinking maybe the pharmacy program would pay more??? Any thoughts would be most appreciative !!!
Barbara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Cleveland, Ohio

77 months ago

Hi Barbara! Why do you want to switch from accounting to medical billing and coding? Aren't there more jobs for accounting degree?
I am 43 y/o and out of work for 9 mo. I am researching different programs in my community college and can not decide between AA in Acounting and short term Medical Billing and Coding. I just want to be in a field that have more stability.

76 months ago

I have been in Accounting for over 20 years now. I work for a investment management firm thru the local bank. We have lost about 51 clients in the past year and they each hold a min of 1 mill dollar portfolio. I started in the medical field when I first started working and really liked it. I have a AA in business Admin with a minor in accounting. I just really wanted a career change this time in my working career. There are tons of accounting jobs out there for you to pursue. I would get your AA in Accounting if I were you between the two options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: Hi Jill, thanks for the input. :)

There does seem to be a real disparity from one college to the next regarding cost. I wanted to do this online with an accredited college and receive an AA degree but it's very expensive. I will most likely end up going to something like Career Step. Still have not decided.

I need to make at least $15 an hour. I don't know how people live on less. With rent, utilities, gas, insurance etc. etc., I would not make it on less and even at $15 and hour it would be a stretch. I suppose I could work two jobs until I gained enough experience to land a good paying coder job after I complete coding school.

I am more concerned about finding the best most reasonably priced school, and finding a couple women's professional organizations to join for networking and support. I have office skills from running my own business for 23 years. I am computer literate, type 75 wpm with no mistakes and good communication skills.

I just need to get to step one here by finding a school and go from there I think.

Thanks again Jill for posting. Good luck to you too!

Mia:
I just found a great online class yesterday that is pretty affordable for the medical coding and she guarantees that you pass the final exam. It is the course taught by a certifed coder for
many years. That seemed to be the best one that I could find and it is web based so that is nice also.

www.certifiedcodertraining.com

Good Luck

Barbara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Chelsy in Liberty Twp, Ohio said: Hello Michelle,
I just happened to join this forum to respond to your answer. I have recently checked into Allied Medical School as referred by my doctor for a great program. Being always the person to check into everything before I fully commit, I looked at the site you had in answer. As I gather, each course haas its on cost..correct?
Is their any "package" courses to cover all the requirement needed to be a certified Biller/coder? We all want the best, and least expensive route with the price of everything sky rocketing, so I am just checking things out. I have been looking into this for about 1.5 tears now, and still a little "concerned" with the amount of salary one gets for no experience, and being "fresh " out of training. Most info I have checked into reports the industry is very HARD to get your foot in the door, unless you have 3 years or more work experience. Please respond and feel free to advise.
Chelsy

Chelsey:
I just found this great web-based coding program that is pretty affordable (except for a few books you have to buy) but the instructor has been a coder for many years so she really knows the job and knows what it takes to pass the test. It is thru the certificaton site. I am thinking about this course. I have checked into about 6 different programs and this one is the one that is the "best" that I can find. Plus it has medical terminolgy which is a must for this field.
www.certifiedcodertraining.com

Thanks,
Barbara

G. Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

76 months ago

If you need a FREE 20 question Medical Coding CPC Practice exam or a 150 question one for cheap try this site....www.medicalcodingpro.com

Free is always good!

Linda in Traverse City, Michigan

76 months ago

Mia in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: Thank you for the supportive response as well as thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It is a scary time in my life at the moment so the supportive suggestions and encouragment have been very helpful. I do not feel near as intimidated regarding returning to school at my age. I am obviously not alone.

Thank you again very much and the best good luck to all of you.

Mia

Mia, I am in the same boat....I am 56. We will persevere and we will make it! Get going!

Linda

Misha in Cape Coral, Florida

76 months ago

I just got my Diploma in Medical coding and billing. It was a 4 months program and very affordable. I studied at USCAREERINSTITUTE.com and they are very much accredited. I have tons of materials. Soon I hope to find a job locally here..because finding a job online is simply impossible..anyone with luck let me know...

Vanessa in Bronx, New York

76 months ago

Mia

Hi Mia in PA,

I just came across your post and wanted to know if you did complete the medical coding and billing program or are you still in school. As I read the post I see you got so much response to your post.

Vanessa

76 months ago

I checked into that also and it seemed like a very good program after reviewing it. I think I would still do the online web-based classroom from www.certifiedcodingtraining.com that I found. I like the idea that is a virtual classroom rather than just all self-learning.

cnoori

76 months ago

Has anyone got a job in medical coding/billing yet and if so what was the starting pay? I just enrolled in the Pharmacy Tech course at Kaplan College in Las Vegas. Hope it wasnt a mistake.

76 months ago

Have you looked at the Pharmacy Tech forum yet? I was going to take the Pharmacy Tech program at the local university here but I don't think the starting pay is very good. I emailed Walgreens to find out and they are all hourly (no salary) but I think it's only about $12-$15/hour. I saw that one PT said he was making $18.00/hr but he was maxed out. I have decided to take a Surgical Tech program. It makes much more money over the "long haul" with overtime and on call pay.

Gen in Fairfield, Ohio

76 months ago

MPinFlorida in Jacksonville, Florida said: I forgot to mention my age - just turned 53 last month!

Hi. I am so glad to see you all post about career changes and being a little older. I have been feeling a bit down lately because I am about to turn 50 and I have never had a job that pays well. I have always been a cashier, nurse's assistant, house cleaner, but at my age I want to have a skill that I can rely on and will pay decent money. I feel like I stand out too much when I take classes with people half my age, and then when it comes to getting the job, I have to compete there too. I am enjoying the encouragement you are giving and may look into medical billing and coding.

Cnoori in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Barbara,
I haven't looked at that forum but will. I don't want to go into the retail end of Pharmacy, rather the hospital setting. I was told they started at $20-$22 an hour. Now I'm doubting that and maybe should switch to the Billing/Coding course. They don't offer the Surgical Tech program in Las Vegas. From what I've been told it;s something you can move into if you meet the right doctor. Similar to the Dental Assistant jobs.

76 months ago

I would definitely call HR dept at the hospitals and ask what the pay range is for Pharmacy Tech. They will tell you. I did that with the Surgical Tech field. I can't believe they don't have a ST program in Las Vegas..Have you checked with the hospitals also and asked them where they hire from? Just a thought. That would mean all of them are out of town???

76 months ago

Jenna in Decatur, Alabama said: Hello

I am 46 and just recently received my two year degree in HIM. I have not yet landed a job because I live in a small town area where there are not any coding jobs open. The larger cities that are 2 hours from me have many coding jobs available that will accept new coders. I went to school with a girl that landed one of these coding jobs in the larger cities. When I started the HIM program, I researched how the coding field was in growing need of coders. It obviously is not in my area!! I have contacted many outsourcing companies and they tell me I need at least 2 years experience, and when there are openings for a coding position, they want experienced coders in my area and they can get them because the experienced are in line waiting for these sparse jobs. I think the great need for coders are for the larger cities. If the new coders could some how get there foot in the door to get the experience, and be able to code remote, this could solve the desparate need the larger cities have for coders. The small town coders could code remote for the larger cities! If it could only happen!

Jenna

Jenna:
When I did contact the medical staffing agencies in my area (Knoxville, TN) they told me the same thing. I could not use them after I graduate due to they only took EXPERIENCED billers/coders.
Didn't make much sense, but she said since their "clients" are paying extra for their services, they need someone to "hit the ground running" and did not need any inexperienced ones.
So unless you can find a job at a hospital or medical facility or medical staffing company (Team Health) you are kinda out of luck.

76 months ago

Have you checked into these 2 ST programs??

High-Tech Institute - Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nevada
High-Tech Institute - Las Vegas

Nevada Career Institute
3231 N. Decatur Blvd, Suite 119
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
www.nevadacareerinstitute.com
Type & Length of Program
Diploma - 16 months
Contact Info
Admissions Dept

Cnoori in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Thank you Barbara! I have not checked into these programs (didnt even know about the school until yesterday) but will.... I really appreciate the help and advice!

Loretta Behnken in Dayton, Ohio

76 months ago

Gen in Fairfield, Ohio said: Hi. I am so glad to see you all post about career changes and being a little older. I have been feeling a bit down lately because I am about to turn 50 and I have never had a job that pays well. I have always been a cashier, nurse's assistant, house cleaner, but at my age I want to have a skill that I can rely on and will pay decent money. I feel like I stand out too much when I take classes with people half my age, and then when it comes to getting the job, I have to compete there too. I am enjoying the encouragement you are giving and may look into medical billing and coding.
HI, I am 65 and i know what u mean I Gradurated from a college this past july at 64yrs old. I took a medical billing and coding course and stil can't fine work so I am trying to start my own medical billing service in my home. thanks

britesun2 in Melrose Park, Illinois

75 months ago

HI Mia I'm Darlene and a single mom at 51. I know its hard to find a job thats descent in this day and times. I'm looking for a self paced program, I can do from home. I took online classes before and it was a lot of work for me. I did get an A and a B in my business online classes. I had to check in class at certain days of the week and the tests were a little weird. I dont want to do that again. I have had college too, but its to much running around and the weather makes it hard to be on time or make up missed days. So. do you know any good courses you can teach yourself at your own pace and time to get a certificate degree ? If so, let me know what you find out, I have been looking online right now, and all I see are online courses. I live in McHenry, Illinois.

Mia

jundesperate in Palm Bay, Florida

75 months ago

I graduated with HIM Degree last May 2006 and received my RHIT certification last May 2008. I'd been working in the HIM field for almost 4 years now but not coding. Though I'm certified, this is not a guarantee to get a coding job. I'd been wanting to get into the door in coding but 199% of all companies still needs 2-3 years of experience at least. This career in HIM is a waste of time and money. Late last year, I shifted my career in Dental Assisting and it went well. Though I'm half of my career done, it's easy to get into this field.Anyway, I am 50 years old and have also my B.S. degree in another field.

Vanessa in Bronx, New York

75 months ago

jundesperate in Palm Bay, Florida said: I graduated with HIM Degree last May 2006 and received my RHIT certification last May 2008. I'd been working in the HIM field for almost 4 years now but not coding. Though I'm certified, this is not a guarantee to get a coding job. I'd been wanting to get into the door in coding but 199% of all companies still needs 2-3 years of experience at least. This career in HIM is a waste of time and money. Late last year, I shifted my career in Dental Assisting and it went well. Though I'm half of my career done, it's easy to get into this field.Anyway, I am 50 years old and have also my B.S. degree in another field.

It's frightening to read this type of post especially for those of us who are in the midst of pursuing such a degree. Can someone tell me if this doesn't work out for some of us what other area can we pursue before embarking on a new career field; especially for those of us in the upper 40's upwards.

jundesperate in Palm Bay, Florida

75 months ago

Some additional comment to my previous post.

Please read other comments from the Letters to the Editor (Advance for Health Information Professionals Magazine) regarding some comments of HIM graduates who would like to get into the coding arena. Like me who is in this field for 4 years working as HIM Tech most of the time (pay bet.$9-$13) and can't start my foot in coding, it's very disappointing.

Good luck to everybody!!!!

britesun2 in Melrose Park, Illinois

75 months ago

Win the lottery!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

75 months ago

I'm curious you say you have been working as an HIM tech for 4 years, do you work for a hospital? Have you talked to the Coding Manager made friends with the coders, talked to the Director of HIM? Have you asked the Coding Manager if you could practice on charts on your on time after your work shift to get experience and show how serious you really are. For some reason this is not an easy career to break into, but it can be done and also no one just graduating from school even if you have passed the exam for certification does not mean you can really code in the real world, coding from books and typed reports is not the same thing. And also the schools do a great disservice to students by telling them they are going to start making 20-40 an hour upon graduation, their are a few coders who make the high end of pay but not everyone even with years and years of experience. It all depends on where you live and the general pay scale. Also most coders don't make big salaries because we are not posted under or considered professional by the people that hire in hopsitals. Look under clerical to find coding jobs. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

75 months ago

After reading all the posts about graduating from medical coding and then not being able to find a job in it, I have decided to pursue becoming a surgical technician. What was the deciding factor for me in my area was I went to a couple of the job board sites i.e., indeed, career builder, monster and typed in "medical billing, medical coder, billing analyst" and saw if any jobs popped up for my area. I saw there weren't any or maybe one came up, I then changed my mindset to something else that would have a job when I finished. I also found alot of openings for medical assistants in my area....

Just my thoughts on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee said: After reading all the posts about graduating from medical coding and then not being able to find a job in it, I have decided to pursue becoming a surgical technician. What was the deciding factor for me in my area was I went to a couple of the job board sites i.e., indeed, career builder, monster and typed in "medical billing, medical coder, billing analyst" and saw if any jobs popped up for my area. I saw there weren't any or maybe one came up, I then changed my mindset to something else that would have a job when I finished. I also found alot of openings for medical assistants in my area....

Just my thoughts on this.

I posted some jobs on here for remote. Check in the "Remote Coding pay forum", some other had posted jobs on there too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.