What's the best way to enter this field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

allison in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

48 months ago

I have been thinking about entering the Medical coding and/or billing world and have some questions. First do most people do both billing and coding or is it best to just do one or the other? Does one earn more then the other?
Also, do employers often pay for the training to become a bller/coder or is that something we need to do on our own?
I don't know much about this career and really want to get someone's guidance before jumping into anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

48 months ago

Most programs teach both billing and coding, however, most people work in either one or the other. However, if you work in a smaller clinic, they may have you do both.

Generally speaking, coders make more than billers. There are always exceptions, but billers average about $15-17 while coders (with at least 3+ years of experience and a credential) make about $17-20, and pay goes up with more experience and certifications, to around $20-25

Probably 10 years ago an employer might pay for training, but now, since this field is over saturated, they have their pick so why hire someone with no experience that you would have to pay for their training when you can hire someone who has already gone through a program?

There are a lot of inexpensive programs to chose from (There are also a lot of ridiculously priced ones, ie online, career colleges, I wouldn't pay more than $5,000)

AHIMA and AAPC both have coding programs, I think they cost about $2,000-$3,000. Your local community or technical school should have a reasonably priced program.

You definitely need to be certified to compete in this field, I would look into either the CCS-P (ahima) or the CPC (aapc)

Just a heads up, like I mentioned, this field is over saturated, so new grads struggle to find that initial job, so the general advice is to look for an entry level HIM job, something in medical records, billing, account follow up, data entry or front desk. Get your foot in the door, gain experience and network. Then you can leverage for the job you want.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

allison in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

48 months ago

Thanks so much for your response. I found an online program at a community college and the cost came to under $1000...now I'm sure there are some additinal registration fees and such.
The classes they suggest to take are:
Expanded Medical Terminology for the Health Care Professional
Anatomy and Physiology for the Medical Office Professional
Medical Coding I
Medical Coding II
Medical Insurance and Billing
Electronic Health Records

Does that look sufficient? I did take AP I and II about 5 years ago, but maybe it's worth taking again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

48 months ago

It depends on how much you remember. With the switch to ICD 10 in 2013, due to increased specifity in the coding, knowing A&P will be very important. I took A & P a few years ago, but plan on a refresher before ICD 10.

The list of classes seems sufficient, it covers the basics as do most programs. And its hard to beat $1,000!

suganthi jagadheesan in Stockholm, Sweden

48 months ago

hi,am from india.i have completed BPT.I like to join coding training.now am living in sweden.can i get training from online?online course is it valuable?i want to know the details pls......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lfilligame in Kaiserslautern, Germany

47 months ago

allison in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina said: Thanks so much for your response. I found an online program at a community college and the cost came to under $1000...now I'm sure there are some additinal registration fees and such.
The classes they suggest to take are:
Expanded Medical Terminology for the Health Care Professional
Anatomy and Physiology for the Medical Office Professional
Medical Coding I
Medical Coding II
Medical Insurance and Billing
Electronic Health Records

Does that look sufficient? I did take AP I and II about 5 years ago, but maybe it's worth taking again?

Hey just wondering what school you are attending online? I'm just starting my search.... thanks!

Allison in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

47 months ago

Well, I decided to put things on hold. Seems like a tough area to get a job in... from reading different posts.

Natasha in Dayton, Ohio

47 months ago

I finished school for coding in January of this year. Note: I haven't been able to find a job. I am very upset because I thought that I would have a job by now. I have noticed that there are more classified ads for billing positions. Thinking of going back to school for claims and billing. Take the billing course!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Queenie in Buford, Georgia

47 months ago

Allison & suganthi jagadheesan, go to hicareers.com. Look into health information technology and health information administration, which require an associate's and bachelor's degree, respectively.

Any credentials besides CCS, RHIT, and RHIA (especially the latter two) are not worth it. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

47 months ago

Queenie in Buford, Georgia said: Allison & suganthi jagadheesan, go to hicareers.com. Look into health information technology and health information administration, which require an associate's and bachelor's degree, respectively.

Any credentials besides CCS, RHIT, and RHIA (especially the latter two) are not worth it. Good luck.

I wouldn't call the CPC or the CCS-P worthless, they are valuable credentials for the outpatient setting, which is what they were created for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

LOL. Sorry about not including those. Those certainly aren't useless.

47 months ago

valentine in Park City, Utah said: I wouldn't call the CPC or the CCS-P worthless, they are valuable credentials for the outpatient setting, which is what they were created for.

LOL. Sorry about not including those. Those certainly aren't useless.

carey in Evans, Georgia

22 months ago

I am a certified ambulance coder and want to be able to work from home some years down the road. what online college do you suggest for billing and coding? what would be the best degree for home based?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.