Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 67)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical medical device sales representative salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

LMG in Broomfield, Colorado

85 months ago

It varies depending on the specialty. In orthopedics, many reps are straight commission, 1099 independent contractors, and can make $150-400k when experienced and established. Trauma reps tend to have a base salary $50-75k plus commission, car, etc. make mid $100k. Cardiology related reps usually have higher bases $60-80k benefits car etc and make $150-400k. Some companies cap earnings, others don't. It varies widely.

LMG
my blog on medical device sales:
upsidepotential.blogspot.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jhardie in Eagle Mountain, Utah

61 months ago

Dear big wave carver, I Like the way you think, and suggest you write a book! lol. Seriously though, thank you for the advice. I would be interested to find out how you do with your new entrance into the Medical device sales field. My guess is that you will do quite well. The first rule of making the sale - make other people like you right? ;) Anyway, I recently finished reading an awsome book by a guy named timothy ferris, called "the four hour work week". If you haven't read it, you probably would really like it. Its right up your alley - as he seems to think very similiarly as yourself. Either way, I appreciate the advice, and hope you do well in your new adventure. Its people like yourself that I like to see succeed, because of your willingness to help out the next guy - the one who used to be stuck where you were.... Your post left me wondering about a couple of things, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of follow up questions to your last post. First, you talked about "your old college buddy" Do you have a bachelors degree? If so, what is it in? Do you need a bachelors to get on as a rep with all companies, or just some? (I completed 63 credits back in 1999, but never finished my degree - math kicked my ass) Second, You mentioned going to a search, and listed "Director of sales, and product marketing" and stated a 40.00 commission fee. What was that that you paid 40.00 dollars for? Was that some kind of research company, or staffing agency that you used? By the way, my name's Jeremy. Thanks ahead of time for your usefull and insitefull advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

riverwoman in Saint Augustine, Florida

46 months ago

Percutaneous device guy in Royal Oak, Michigan said: I've been in devices for 3 years now. Most people are making between 150k-400k. I was hired at a base salary of 50K, but commissions are where you make your money.

My first year I made 130K, my 2nd year i made 160K, and this is my 3rd year...i've done 145K year to date...so i will probably make 160K again....i'm in the middle 5o% of the sales force.

We also get a company car, expense account, and pretty much the quality of life i've ever experienced.

I've gotten offeres to jump ship for 250K gauranteed for 1 year.

What is commission rate you are at for sales 4-6%?- figure ask for $75k base plus the usually bene's - quota is $1.2 for the territory

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Clifton, New Jersey

45 months ago

I am not a sales rep. but do work alongside with them on a daily basis in the O.R. It's a "cut-throat" job and you have to kiss the surgeon's ass. They sometimes ask you questions about the implant and you better know the answer (Trust me on that one). I know one rep. who makes a ton of money and I know or knew a rep. that didn't make a dime. You really need to team-up with busy surgeons, who use your stuff on a daily basis. Again, you need to kiss a lot of ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bozo the clown recruiters in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

rk in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: 50k to 500k+

A medical Rep today earning 300-400,000 is unheard of.... Most Cardiology Reps make between $90,000-140,000/year with car allowance of $600.00/month and expenses. There is also a push to hire new College Graduates for less as there is a huge segment of experienced Medical Reps. currently being discriminated against due to their success, experience and biological age.

Most medical recruiters are playing several candidates against one another... leveraging their chance to land more commission dollars. One particular firm in fellow in Dallas markets himself as being in the Industry for years paying people to post great things about him to market to the big companies looking for the big job placements. JW ( initials ) is not to be trusted and uses people to network for him... disregarding your time and search criteria.... out for himself.... Beware... and meet physically with these people first if possible and ask questions about how they are paid... I would suggest applying directly to Companies you would be interested in working for ...and following up every month...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guy 1922 in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

A medical Rep today earning 300-400,000 is unheard of.... Most Cardiology Reps make between $90,000-140,000/year with car allowance of $600.00/month and expenses. There is also a push to hire new College Graduates for less as there is a huge segment of experienced Medical Reps. currently being discriminated against due to their success, experience and biological age.

Most medical recruiters are playing several candidates against one another... leveraging their chance to land more commission dollars. One particular firm in fellow in Dallas markets himself as being in the Industry for years paying people to post great things about him to market to the big companies looking for the big job placements. JW ( initials ) is not to be trusted and uses people to network for him... disregarding your time and search criteria.... out for himself.... Beware... and meet physically with these people first if possible and ask questions about how they are paid... I would suggest applying directly to Companies you would be interested in working for ...and following up every month...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in San Antonio, Texas

44 months ago

Question, I am a Jr Orthopedic Rep. In the near future I will discuss comphensation with my Sr. Rep. Any advise would be appreciated. Question I have are; what is the industry norm and what are some consideration I should take into account that are not apparent to me now?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aem1220 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

42 months ago

I am a college student going to St. Catherine University in MN for medical sales. Pfizer created our curriculum and it has a good reputation. My question is: once I graduate, will employers even look at me with no medical sales background except for a bachelors degree in medical sales? The only previous sales experience I have had is retail. People say I will be just fine because they are always looking for young, outgoing, attractive girls to sell; in your experience is that true? I would say I am pretty smart and have a huge interest in anatomy and physiology as well as understand sales and marketing. I am extremely motivated as well because I am a young mother.
Any input would be appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sRimel in Tallahassee, Florida

41 months ago

I am 18 years old and a freshman at Florida State University. I am looking into going into medical device sales and wondering what I should major in and how to get an internship or a foot in the door. Any advice would be of great appreciation!! Thank you all so much!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Darrell in Aspen, Colorado

40 months ago

I would want to see w2's I own a DME and
none of my sales reps mare more than 120k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Pacemaker Rep in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I have been doing Medical Device sales for a year now. I was a teacher four years ago and wanted to make a change. I, like you all, sought advice of other reps and found someone out of the yellow pages who spent a lot of time trying to help me find a rep job in the medical field. He knew of someone hiring and got me an interview. I worked there for three years and set company records. However, I knew that it was just a stepping stone to get into the medical device arena. I would go up to device reps in hospitals and talk with them and give them my card. A year and a half later, my now manager remembered me and called me. You do need a college degree and pharma sales isn't really going to help you. It is definitely more about your presence and ability to communicate and connect with people without being creepy or annoying. Set yourself apart from others and be visible. We have one rep that made 1.4 million dollars last year. It's a great business!! Good luck!!

Wow - what field was this rep in? Spine? How large was his/her territory?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

guy1922 in Orlando, Florida

40 months ago

1.4 million a Medical Rep. Give me a break. I have been in the business for 30 years. The only people making that kind of money are CEO's or they are stealing from the Company. Twenty years ago... maybe a Rep made $400-600,000 and that was a year or two at most until Management could scale down the commission program so Reps did not make more than Top Management. 1.4 million...who you kidding here... We are trying to help people, trying to give a realistic view of the Industry... You sound like a Network Marketer...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

the irishman pat in Lake Charles, Louisiana

40 months ago

I am majoring in business administration and hope to get in any sales field where making 6 figures is an obtainable goal. Any advice? And also what i would need to do after I receive my bachelors to be a sales rep. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

What type of income should I expect out of college? And also I'm interested in making any kind of sales a career. Financial securities, oil, medical and insurance (state farm)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jake in Waco, Texas

40 months ago

30-36K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

And that's for entry level? Is that a base salary or is it how much you make? And I'm sure after a couple years that number increases a good bit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jake in Belton, Texas

40 months ago

Irishman, thats a Jr. Reps salary and you should easily get overtime each week and mileage reimb. After many years in the business and you territory increases to around 2-6 Mil. you can expect to make $170K-$500K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Ok. I'm hoping to make around 50k starting off. To make it easier getting a sales rep job should I do an internship with a company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I'm looking to re-locate to Philadelphia. I would think there are a lot of sales rep positions available in such a big city

sales guy pa in Allentown, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

i've read through this thread and found it interesting. so far i've been doing medical sales for 3 years. had no prior medical experience. i'm in the o/r and sell disposables, so i'm required to go back and do the repeat business and maintain the relationships there. which by the way - that's what it all comes down to - relationships. manage them correctly and positive things will grow over time.

outside of that - do not work for a distributor. nothing against them as individuals, but it's not good business for you. they're there to make money for themselves, you're there to make money for them. go direct, as be on the payroll of another company like stryker, depuy, etc..., or be 1099 independent for yourself and carry different products. if you do work for a distributor, get expense costs. i've seen them just hire reps cold and cut them loose and give them nothing - no car, no expense account, nothing. bad move.

there's my two cents for what it's worth to anyone that reads it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Yes that was helpful, I'm just not sure which career path I want to take with my bachelors in business. It's quite stressful not knowing what you want to do or how to do it. I just want a steady pay check that will pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Milford, Connecticut

40 months ago

I will be earning my bachelor's in microbiology this spring and have taken a few business courses along the way. I am interested in pursuing a career in medical device sales and just wanted to know what the future of the industry looks like. With healthcare reform and healthcare re-reform (depending on who's in office next November), I'd appreciate any thoughts on trends to prepare for. Thanks all, happy new year!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

porky in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

No Salesman in the Medical Field makes $500,000 a year . Plain and simple. It's comments like this that stir up salesman in other Industries that maedical sales is the Lottery jackpot of all sales professions. That is simply not the case anymore. 20-25 years ago a few Companies would ALLOW a Rep to make more than the NSM and CEO.. those days are long gone. A new entry Rep can count on making around $70,000 85,000 in the first year. (90-100,000) for a standout

Thirty two year Veteran of the business PLEASE $500,000 a year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tyler in Sydney, Australia

38 months ago

For the young folk I can tell you what I did. I enrolled in ATI after graduating with a professional sales degree for the 2008/2009 course. From there I took a job with a CRM company in the south. As a CS my base salary was $75k plus 6 for a car. After 18 months my rep leaves so they allow me to look worldwide at other CS jobs and I decided to interview of the job in Sydney. I took the job last July and became a TM in 6 months. Now I have my own area and get to live in Sydney while they happily pay for my visa. They do not have cardiac techs in the hospitals so very few people know devices. Therefore the companies are willing to import talent to fill the void. My base pay is 95k, 30 in bonuses 15 guaranteed, car allowance of 20k a yr. They pay for fuel, priv health insurance, phone, iPad, etc.. Plus for every % over budget you are at the end of the year, you get 1k. Last year I was 31% over and netted 18k after taxes so another perk. Don't listen to all the haters. If you're hungry enough, you'll get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

George in Wayne, New Jersey

38 months ago

The difference is that you are in Sydney not America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Big_N in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

I was talking to some guy at a bar and he was telling about this field and the green.

I am under 40, with a begree and work in healthcare but, on the claims / IT side of things. the issue is that I am not nerdy enough to pursue IT. Not to mention presentation is a strong suit of mine while most of ITs weaknesses.

Dude a bar suggests I just make up resume with sales exp. Is this doable? Or is it really possible to switch fields just like that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hungry and hopeful in Garden Grove, California

38 months ago

Even Easier in Milton, Massachusetts said: If you can afford it, go to PrepMD up in Boston. 25Grand for 6 months and they will get you hired in CRM. CRM is pretty much the top of the food chain in Device sales. If you can finance the tuition and take 6 months of work, the reward will be worth it.

Nuff said, In this industry if you don't want it bad enough you will never get in, I promise you that.

I just started researching medical sales..im finishing CST school at CNI college in Orange, CA. A nurse told me about becoming a sales rep. I am selling solar panels as a side job and have been in the service industry for years which is what made me take a change. I love the program. Most people in my class are taking it to just settle for a CST. I wanna take advantage of what doors this allows me to open. Whats CRM? I appreciate any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hungry and hopeful in Garden Grove, California

38 months ago

Tyler in Sydney, Australia said: For the young folk I can tell you what I did. I enrolled in ATI after graduating with a professional sales degree for the 2008/2009 course. From there I took a job with a CRM company in the south. As a CS my base salary was $75k plus 6 for a car. After 18 months my rep leaves so they allow me to look worldwide at other CS jobs and I decided to interview of the job in Sydney. I took the job last July and became a TM in 6 months. Now I have my own area and get to live in Sydney while they happily pay for my visa. They do not have cardiac techs in the hospitals so very few people know devices. Therefore the companies are willing to import talent to fill the void. My base pay is 95k, 30 in bonuses 15 guaranteed, car allowance of 20k a yr. They pay for fuel, priv health insurance, phone, iPad, etc.. Plus for every % over budget you are at the end of the year, you get 1k. Last year I was 31% over and netted 18k after taxes so another perk. Don't listen to all the haters. If you're hungry enough, you'll get in.

so Tyler you went from the US to Sydney? if so thats a huge jump. Im currently going to a CST school in Orange Ca. And am looking into this career. Ill be 30 in march so due to certain circumstances i am now trying to get into a good career. Between the love of the medical feild and the gift of gab i think this would be a good fit for me. I have not graduated from any sales degree but i do have a lot of experience. what is a CRM and a TM? thanks for your input...NIcole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Annapolis, Maryland

38 months ago

I have just graduated and want to get into medical device sales. But I have been offered a recruiting position with a major staffing company that has a great training program. Will this career path take me away from getting into medical device sales (will the recruiting position give me positive experience towards med device)? Should I say no to the opportunity and seek a outside sales position?

Big daddy in Spencer, North Carolina

37 months ago

I'll preface by saying I've been in spinal sales for 15yrs.
If you are coming from outside of the industry, don't expect to get a full territory job right off the bat and make 250k yr.
The current path seems to be getting a job as an Associate Rep, doing that for a few years, the hopefully getting your own territory. An associate rep is basically a runner and a case coverage person. It's how you learn the business. These days those roles are mainly filled by young 20 something's. The hard part of breaking into this business as an older person, Is the fact tha you need to make it through that associate period and it's probably at a salary lower than what your currently making at whatever your currently making, and a lot of BS that you have to put up with and accept.
This business, while good, is not what it used to be. Hospitals are looking for ways to cut out the middle men and pay less for implants. It's coming. Pricing pressures are real, and they are here now. I'm selling implants for much less than I was 15 years ago.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike84 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Hello.
I am a Doctor of Physical Therapy and currently am the facility director at an outpatient orthopedic physical therapy clinic. I am looking at breaking into the medical device sales industry but was wondering if my lack of sales experience will prevent me from doing so? I assisted in starting this business from the ground up and had to visit many physicians in order to build relationships to receive physical therapy referals (not considered sales by some). I have an extensive knowledge in medical information, primarily orthopedics, from my education and clinical experience. I am seeking an associate sales rep position in the OR, primarily orthopedics, and was wondering if anyone is aware of companies that would overllook my lack of sales experience considering my education and clinical experience. I am 26 years old and consider myself to be a people person who would stand out in an interview if given an opportunity to do so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rep in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

36 months ago

sRimel in Tallahassee, Florida said: I am 18 years old and a freshman at Florida State University. I am looking into going into medical device sales and wondering what I should major in and how to get an internship or a foot in the door. Any advice would be of great appreciation!! Thank you all so much!!

I would go with a degree in the life sciences. Many will tell you business or accounting, etc., but those are things you can learn after the fact by on the job training. With a chemistry or biology degree, you have more options. If you change your mind and decide to go to med school, you can. With a business degree, you are a freshman again with 4+ years of coursework ahead of you (yeah, it may be a light load, but because you have to take courses in sequence with prerequisites slowing your progress, that's what it comes out to. If you decide to go to law school, get an MBA, etc. you can do that with nearly any degree. But if you want to do anything medical you have to have the life science background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Cape Coral, Florida

35 months ago

I'm 21 yrs old and will be graduating college with a Bachelors of Science in Biology next year and would really like to get into Medical Device Sales. I hear having B2B sales experience is key when it comes to the hiring process. I worked 2 years for a company selling electrical savings equipment to various businesses and have also worked B2C sales at OfficeMax selling printers, computers, monitors etc. part time while going through school. I would just like to know if I have a decent chance of getting hired based on my degree in Biology, 2 years B2B and 4 years B2C. I find myself to have good communication skills and a likeable personality.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sir P in Cape Coral, Florida

35 months ago

I'm 21 yrs old and will be graduating college with a Bachelors of Science in Biology next year and would really like to get into Medical Device Sales. I hear having B2B sales experience is key when it comes to the hiring process. I worked 2 years for a company selling electrical savings equipment to various businesses and have also worked B2C sales at OfficeMax selling printers, computers, monitors etc. part time while going through school. I would just like to know if I have a decent chance of getting hired based on my degree in Biology, 2 years B2B and 4 years B2C. I find myself to have good communication skills and a likeable personality.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

luckyme in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

35 months ago

I have been on 3 interviews w/ a national medical service company - home and outpatient infusion. I was offered the chance to interview by the sales rep leaving. She recommended me to her manager. She feels they need a med social worker as the other 2 top talents in the areas are both former social workers. I am currently working as a medical social worker at a local hospital where I am very happy but of course have no room for advancement or much pay increase. The starting salary would be much more than my current income and of course bonuses on top of that. I believe I have done very well in the interviews. My question is: would I be crazy to not take the job if offered? I want the money bad! But right now I have a secure position in a job I really like and get a lot of satisfaction from.

Frank in Gulfport, Mississippi

34 months ago

Being paid 200-300k a year as a medical device rep is complete bullcrap. You are looking more realistically at 40-85k a year in these days. You may look at 95-175k after being in the business for about 5-7 years. I am so sick of sales people painting $$$ as if it happens on a constant basis. There are some reps who don't make a damn dime and you would be better off selling shoes for a living. This is a brutal job, with lots of ass kissing and pride swallowing. The politics in this industry are horrendous. Take my advice seek another career. You want to work in sales then sell windows or plumbing equipment, it pays good, you don't have to smooch ass, and you don't need a degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rep in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

34 months ago

you are not with it, 300-400K is NOT unheard of! cardio reps and ortho reps are the ones making that kind of moey, and yes a mill + is possible. Top stryker rep make 1.3 last year, VERY rare but it happpens. 300-400k happens all the time..get a clue..you prob sell cars or if you do call yourself a device, rep, you prob sell wheel chairs or somthing like that. dollars to dimes you are not a surgical rep, if you were you would not be saying its not possible, and if you are one, you prob cant sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rep in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

34 months ago

@ frank..most reps make more than 40-85 in salary alone..add comish in and youre ocver 200k if your in ortho or cardio..if you have been a device rep for over 5 years and make less than 100k id seriously look for a new job. im othe low end of the income range and i do about 190 a year for past 4 years. if i were in cardio or ortho..id do over 250 easy..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grantshapirodc@hotmail.com in Tempe, Arizona

34 months ago

SoupySales in Aurora, Colorado said: Hi everyone,
It seems all I have heard about getting into the medical sales is so hard... Do you guys recommmend course/class or anything. Or do people typically get into pharm sales first and then make the jump? I've been getting told its very hard, I have seen some companies actually required an MD to do sales! Crazy. Should I just forget about breaking into this field? Thanks!

I am a Chiropractor, DC, who is looking for a change in career. I have 15 years of consultative sales experience in practice. Inhave heard of that some companies like to hire doctors because of our experience in practice, we are the talk and we have walked the orthopedic walk. Would you share some of the companies you learned of who hire doctors? Thank you in advance. I hope you found your fit.
Grant

csaltzman45 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

34 months ago

Percutaneous device guy in Royal Oak, Michigan said: I've been in devices for 3 years now. Most people are making between 150k-400k. I was hired at a base salary of 50K, but commissions are where you make your money.

My first year I made 130K, my 2nd year i made 160K, and this is my 3rd year...i've done 145K year to date...so i will probably make 160K again....i'm in the middle 5o% of the sales force.

We also get a company car, expense account , and pretty much the quality of life i've ever experienced.

How did you first break into the business? I've been is construction sales and can't even get an interview, I have a B.A. in psychology as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in Yankton, South Dakota

34 months ago

If you are looking into this field, make sure you can handle people in the OR feeling contempt for you. They view you as representing the financial interests of companies looking to exploit patients (i.e. $10,000 for a stent), and pretty much view you as the greatest problem with medicine. I agree that you will have to kiss a lot of surgeon ass and that you must know everything there is to know about the products you are selling. Also be prepared to be bored during surgeries. 98% of the time you will just stand there. The surgeon will likely ask you just one or two questions during the operation. If you can appear to be a patients advocate, you will likely gain a lot of brownie points with everyone in the room.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jack in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

been in med sales since I graduated college. Your income will be a roller coaster and with PODs coming into play and other factors you can never bank on big income always coming just because you are doing good right now. I have mad that mistake and paid for it in the past. I started right out of the gate with no salary and 1099. I earned 47K my first year as an associate sales rep in dme. I made friends with every rep and surgeon I could. 3 years in I was asked to help cover surgeries for a very busy spine rep. That year I finally broke six figures. By the fourth year I was selling implants and DME and made around 160k. Remember this is all 1099. By year 6 I had my own small distributorship and pulled 448k. I don't actually know what my take home was since my accountant did some fancy foot work and made it look like I made zero. You can get away with that for the first two years of owning a business. By year 7 I was back down to low 100k. I lost 2 million in sales to PODs and the remaining business was smashed with deep price cuts at my hospitals. This is not a field for anyone who needs stability. You can't control the majority of the factors in this industry. The only thing you can remotely control is where you position yourself as the the game changes.
As for how to get in. Don't ask for a salary and offer to work on commission only. That is the sign of true sales rep. Meet as many sales reps as you can and build rapport with them. Ask if they need any help covering cases or running set. Thats where you get your on the job training. Expect to bust your ass the first couple of years and sleep very little. Once you understand the products and are comfortable speaking with physicians then push to sell. Don't ask for a territory just yet. Tell your manager that you can get Dr. Smiths business but would like commission on it for doing so. Back that claim up within 2 weeks by producing a surgery and some invoices. You just became a rep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Arlington, Texas

33 months ago

Frank in Gulfport, Mississippi said: Being paid 200-300k a year as a medical device rep is complete bullcrap. You are looking more realistically at 40-85k a year in these days. You may look at 95-175k after being in the business for about 5-7 years. I am so sick of sales people painting $$$ as if it happens on a constant basis. There are some reps who don't make a damn dime and you would be better off selling shoes for a living. This is a brutal job, with lots of ass kissing and pride swallowing. The politics in this industry are horrendous. Take my advice seek another career. You want to work in sales then sell windows or plumbing equipment, it pays good, you don't have to smooch ass, and you don't need a degree.

With all due respect Frank, I have been in this industry for 2 years and I am way over the 120k range and the top sales rep in my company is making about 250k and he has been in the industry for 5 years. Get your facts right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Schiloza in Paterson, New Jersey

32 months ago

rep in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin said: you are not with it, 300-400K is NOT unheard of! cardio reps and ortho reps are the ones making that kind of moey, and yes a mill + is possible. Top stryker rep make 1.3 last year, VERY rare but it happpens. 300-400k happens all the time..get a clue..you prob sell cars or if you do call yourself a device, rep, you prob sell wheel chairs or somthing like that. dollars to dimes you are not a surgical rep, if you were you would not be saying its not possible, and if you are one, you prob cant sell.

Please who makes more? Orthopedic, spine, or cardiovascular med Dec rep?

mark in Gainesville, Florida

32 months ago

Pacemaker Rep in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I have been doing Medical Device sales for a year now. I was a teacher four years ago and wanted to make a change. I, like you all, sought advice of other reps and found someone out of the yellow pages who spent a lot of time trying to help me find a rep job in the medical field. He knew of someone hiring and got me an interview. I worked there for three years and set company records. However, I knew that it was just a stepping stone to get into the medical device arena. I would go up to device reps in hospitals and talk with them and give them my card. A year and a half later, my now manager remembered me and called me. You do need a college degree and pharma sales isn't really going to help you. It is definitely more about your presence and ability to communicate and connect with people without being creepy or annoying. Set yourself apart from others and be visible. We have one rep that made 1.4 million dollars last year. It's a great business !! Good luck!!

what would be the best major to get?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SmartIndian in Wheaton, Illinois

31 months ago

We also get a company car, expense account , and pretty much the quality of life i've ever experienced.

What are the requirements if I want to start in Medical Devices Sales? I am very talented and will do well but don't have the experience.

Becca in Panama City, Florida

30 months ago

chris in Manchester, United Kingdom said: stone the crows this is a bit far fetched!!! i have been doing it for 3 years and never made cash like that even halving the amounts your taking about in the uk

Chris, I have heard they do make much more in the UK. But my question to you is this, most people work under contracts in the UK right?? If that is the case, is it common policy for the companies selling the equipment to pay for the shipping for the client???

katebmayes in Brevard, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hi there,
I am a physician in Brevard, NC, 1 hour from Greenville, SC, 30 min from Asheville, NC but 2+ hours from Raleigh or Charlotte (big medical markets). I have just begun to look into medical device sales, as I have become disenchanted with primary care medicine and think I would be good enough at sales to make at least 300k. I need a bit of mentoring and some connections (all I have are physician connections), and would love your advice on which fields generate the most revenue and how to I get a foot in the door. Would you have a moment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joker in Kansas City, Missouri

29 months ago

All certification classes are worthless. Don't waste your time. You need a 4 year degree, B2B sales experience, and a professional network. Anyone who is trying to sell you something to "break into the industry" is preying upon your inexperience and naivety. Period. Ask any of us who have done this for more than 10 years. Look on LinkedIn. Know what job you want? Find the people with those jobs and look at their backgrounds. That's how you do this. It isn't for the uneducated, lazy, or bored. This is a hard career. Take my word for it. You EARN your $150K/year. I see nurses come in and out all day long because they thought this job was easy based on what they saw in a cath lab/OR. It isn't. This is a profit oriented business, pure and simple. It isn't just "covering cases" or "bringing lunch". Your ass is on the line when your product isn't being used-it doesn't matter why. Or if it's in your control. Big bucks=big stress. I'm not trying to convince anyone this isn't for them...I just see a lot of people who come in totally unprepared for reality. This is not an "easy 300K". You're going to risk everything important to you for every dollar you make. It's just reality. Awesome, awesome career for those without a spouse, kids, etc. Or those whose families are very, very willing to sacrifice. Fortunately, I'm in category 2. But, this isn't for the faint of heart-and my suspicion is that those folks who are reading a thread entitled "Show Me The Money" don't even begin to have the faintest clue what they're really asking for....let alone even qualified for an interview....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.