Do you need a degree to sell medical equipment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Greatsalesperson in Westminster, Maryland

70 months ago

I have years of sales experience. I have done very well in sales. I was in the mortgage business for a long time. I am looking to get out of it, as my income went from $250k to "we are sorry we are closing our branches". To me sales are sales, and as long as you know the product, and your a good sales person revenue should not be an issue. Are medical "ALL" medical equipment and Medical supply jobs the same as pharmaceutical sales? Is a degree required in this field as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (93) Reply - Report abuse

Discouraged Salesman in Dalton, Georgia

69 months ago

I have been a somewhat sucessful salesman for the last 5-10 years in the building industry and all this has been done without college degree.Now the building industry is in the tank and companies will not even look twice at my resume.Throughout the years selling has paid me very well so i never so the point in returning to school, but now it looks more like the unempolyment line than the line at the bank to cash bonus checks.Any suggestions to obtain a sales job in the medical field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

natasha in Johannesburg, South Africa

69 months ago

where do i apply for a medical rep. im in my last year for studing pharmacy assistand. what must i do and where to must i go to become a medical rep? i want to apply for it in gauteng and norwest province. please help !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ntk in Cary, North Carolina

68 months ago

well im scared haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in New York, New York

68 months ago

Elizabeth, I understand your frustration completely. But, medical equipment companies understand the life of a copier salesperson. Copier sales people are given a low base salary, 30k, and have to fight, scratch, and overcome alot of rejection in those 2 years. In your positions you have no idea what it's like to face what copier sales people face daily. That's what the hiring managers are looking for. Pure and simple. If I were you I would get a copier sales job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Arlington, Texas

68 months ago

Adrian in New York, New York said: Elizabeth, I understand your frustration completely. But, medical equipment companies understand the life of a copier salesperson. Copier sales people are given a low base salary, 30k, and have to fight, scratch, and overcome alot of rejection in those 2 years. In your positions you have no idea what it's like to face what copier sales people face daily. That's what the hiring managers are looking for. Pure and simple. If I were you I would get a copier sales job.

You obviously have never been a financial analyst. The job is by no stretch of the imagination glamorous....you are "paying your dues" to move up among the ranks to become a senior analyst etc. You have to be tough as nails to go in and present a finance package to a board of directors, and more times than not face major rejection (i.e. Financial Operations of a company aren't typically the most popular issue on the table). Moreover, the determination and drive that goes behind an education in accounting and background in analysis is applicable in every area of an employees life. I converse with docs on a daily basis already and present them with information that is extremely important to them (their bottom line). I would never ever find it beneficial to take ten steps back and sale copiers....the limited scope of HR is way too textbook and limiting, and thats not something I'll make adjustments for. I do sincerely appreciate your feedback though.....thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I have no clue why this is saying I live in Arlington haha.

Going back and reading your feedback again (Adrian in NY) I do find it extremely helpful, despite my defensive response!! I think you may be right, as far as thinking from an HR perspective, which is all that actually matters at the end of the day (my ego aside haha). I'd love to bounce a few other ideas off you if you wouldn't mind! Maybe we can exchange emails or something.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Elizabeth, I certainly did not mean to diminish or belittle your experience and education. I myself double majored in Accounting and Finance. And I hope you take my following comments at face value, and not personally, because all I'm trying to do is help you understand their thought process. Again, you have never faced rejection 40 to 50 times a day as a financial analyst. Copier salespeople face this kind of rejection everyday, 5 days a week, similar to the kind of rejection a medical device rep will face. I take you for your word that you have faced rejection. But, again, it's not the same. Are you a strong person, who can handle the daily grind of a med rep? You are the only person who can answer that question. I certainly wouldn't doubt it. But, it's counterproductive to do anything other than understand why these hiring managers value copier experience so highly. Medical device managers don't just take any copier rep on the block, they take only those reps who were successful and have documentation to prove it. So, typically what they look for during the interviews are monthly/annual printouts (referred to as bragbooks) and/or rankings amongst other reps nationwide. For every successful copier rep, their are probably 5-10 reps who are not. The reasons for this are quite simple, but I could go on forever breaking down what they are, so I will spare you.

Lastly, I must admit, I'm confused by what you say at the end of your post. You said that you, "would never ever find it beneficial to take ten steps back and sale copiers...... and thats not something I'll make adjustments for." This is very confusing to me. First of all, I am guessing that somewhere along your search for a med sales job, you have deduced that a successful copier rep of 2-3 years are qualified candidates. They still have to interview and do well in other areas, but yes it can get you an interview. Ran out of room, continue in next post.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Elizabeth,

Basically, with your comments, you are saying that "I want to be a med rep, but only if I can get the job on my terms." I really can't understand your logic. Would it be a benefit to sell copiers for 2 years, make 65-110k, pay your dues, prove that you can do it, and then start applying to med sales jobs again? If it gets you to where you want to be, how is that "ten steps back?" That's where I am confused by your logic. I mean, you know what they look for and like, but you won't do it. I mean, what if you wanted to be a teacher, but you never earned a highschool degree? Even though you were a successful small business owner for 20 years, made millions, and obviously had above average intelligence. I'm not sure that you would get the job. Do you see my point? I feel for you, but only to the extent that you are willing to do what it takes. I didn't invent the wheel. No what I'm saying?

Forgive me if I anger you (I have a tendency to do that to people) BUT, I'm an ex copier rep, and am very proud of my experience there and defensive of anyone who even slightly disses it. Hope you can understand! And fyi, it's about 3 million times more fun and exciting than any financial analyst position. Hands down. ALSO, I made $75K and $110K in my first 2 years of copier sales, with only a base salary of $30k, and $35k my 2nd year. No joke. I would be glad to speak to you if you ever reconsider. I can absolutely give you a better idea of the industry, things to look for, what to expect, etc. Take care.

Adrian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Adrian in New York, New York said: Elizabeth,

Basically, with your comments, you are saying that "I want to be a med rep, but only if I can get the job on my terms." I really can't understand your logic. Would it be a benefit to sell copiers for 2 years, make 65-110k, pay your dues, prove that you can do it, and then start applying to med sales jobs again? If it gets you to where you want to be, how is that "ten steps back?" That's where I am confused by your logic. I mean, you know what they look for and like, but you won't do it. I mean, what if you wanted to be a teacher, but you never earned a highschool degree? Even though you were a successful small business owner for 20 years, made millions, and obviously had above average intelligence. I'm not sure that you would get the job. Do you see my point? I feel for you, but only to the extent that you are willing to do what it takes. I didn't invent the wheel. No what I'm saying?

Forgive me if I anger you (I have a tendency to do that to people) BUT, I'm an ex copier rep, and am very proud of my experience there and defensive of anyone who even slightly disses it. Hope you can understand! And fyi, it's about 3 million times more fun and exciting than any financial analyst position. Hands down. ALSO, I made $75K and $110K in my first 2 years of copier sales, with only a base salary of $30k, and $35k my 2nd year. No joke. I would be glad to speak to you if you ever reconsider. I can absolutely give you a better idea of the industry, things to look for, what to expect, etc. Take care.

Adrian

Ok what about this Adrian, I may be a "boring financial analyst", but I've scored slots on reality tv, have dated docs, can carry a convo with a doc in my sleep, and am required to stay on top of medical news and advancements in my current position.....I'm not knocking anything I promise....I just think I'm qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

ooopps was outta room...here I continue...

....however, if what I'm saying about myself is true, I'll sell some copiers....I agree with you, it wouldn't hurt! Hmmm....maybe I'll google that....or do you suggest some other area that may work in my favor? I'm not too good for anything.....I'm bold and ballsy and determined......and receptive to your advice ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Elizabeth,
Selling copiers is just one avenue that you know works. You probably are qualified, but you know how these things are. The one thing that you have working against you is that you do not have documented successful sales experience. That's your biggest hurdle. You're interviewing with other candidates who are proven. You're more of an unknown, a wildcard. I would keep going if I were you, applying, interviewing for device sales positions. Just understand that without any outside sales experience, it could be a long tough road with alot of rejection without landing a gig. If you do decide to try an outside sales job, call the branch managers of the major copier companies in your city. Canon, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Xerox are the big 4. Another avenue is working for ADP or Paychex. Get your resume to one of the recruiters with these companies, and see if they have anything open. These companies, for whatever reason are usually more attractive than copiers. In the end, I hope this has been helpful. And I wish you all the success you hope for.

Adrian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tianakay in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

Adrian

Hello,
I will be graduating in December with a degree in ADV/PR and I have always been interested in the medical sales field. I know it is a hard business to get into and I would love information on any outside sales jobs that could transition into medical sales. I am also interested in outside sales in general and would enjoy learning about copier sales. Do you have any info on companies with a Fl branc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Garry Williamson in Boiling Springs, South Carolina

52 months ago

Wondering how to find good sales "consultants" people, selling a direct debit system to doctors to reduce collection fees and non-payments. The commissions are around 1000.00 and theres a 500.00 referal for the doctor for their referals. I think it is really a great opportunity in todays economy and I am looking for people with experience in dealing with doctors or would like to add a value added service to the portfolio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

Selling copiers is just one avenue that you know works. You probably are qualified, but you know how these things are. The one thing that you have working against you is that you do not have documented successful sales experience. That's your biggest hurdle. You're interviewing with other candidates who are proven. You're more of an unknown, a wildcard. I would keep going if I were you, applying, interviewing for device sales positions. Just understand that without any outside sales experience, it could be a long tough road with alot of rejection without landing a gig. If you do decide to try an outside sales job, call the branch managers of the major copier companies in your city. Canon, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Xerox are the big 4. Another avenue is working for ADP or Paychex. Get your resume to one of the recruiters with these companies, and see if they have anything open. These companies, for whatever reason are usually more attractive than copiers. In the end, I hope this has been helpful. And I wish you all the success you hope for.

Adrian

Adrian,

I was reading these posts and what caught my attention was your experience in copier sales. The last five years of my life I have sold technology based alarms and camera systems. I too am striving to get into medical sales. I have a proven track record but I lack the degree. I am going to spend the next two years finishing up my degree in Marketing but I am looking into a sales position that will get me noticed upon the degree completion. I have heard many people say that copier sales is a great gateway into medical sales. Can you tell me a little about the day to day responsibilities and do you have any other recommendations on how I can make myself more competitive in the industry. Thank you in advance!

Lynn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Top Dog in Reading, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Top Dog Medical Sales is the job board for serious sales professionals looking to further their careers or start a new career in the fast growing medical sales industry. With hundreds of medical sales jobs, pharmaceutical sales and medical device sales, our goal is providing you with the best option to find a position to match your talent. Visit www.TopDogMedicalSales.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gringote susio in Miami, United States minor outlying islands

47 months ago

I say it doesnt matter what your selling, its how many times you get told NO! and move on to hear it again until you hear YES! that makes a good sales man. I started selling fresh cut roses when I was 8, my father would drop me and my brother off in neighborhoods each with 2 buckets of roses in our hands to walk door to door under the 90 degree sun and ask "Good afternoon mam/sir would you like to buy a dozen fresh cut roses for 5 dollars?" I got a dollar for each dozen I sold, my old man who sat in his airconditioned truck would collect 4 on every dozen and drive us to the next neighborhood. Im 29 now and after years of street pedaling and hustling I am going for an interview tomorrow regarding a medical supply sales position. I'm very excited!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DIEGO FALCONI in Quito, Ecuador

45 months ago

I WANT INFORMATIONS ABOUT MEDICAL EQUIPMENT THANKS info@corimportmaq.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SalesConsultant in Scottsdale, Arizona

29 months ago

Elizabeth in Arlington, Texas said: Ok what about this Adrian, I may be a "boring financial analyst ", but I've scored slots on reality tv, have dated docs, can carry a convo with a doc in my sleep, and am required to stay on top of medical news and advancements in my current position.....I'm not knocking anything I promise....I just think I'm qualified.

Lol you are a joke.... Haha scored a spot on reality tv show. That only proves you must be out of touch with reality and fodder for America's sick pleasure of watching deranged people like you justify their worth.

Mathew Jackson in Montevideo, Uruguay

28 months ago

Good day everyone, i am the regional sales manager in Trilogy Medical Equipment Corp.
and reading this forum and your needs I can gladly inform , and invite you , to work with us. The only thing that you need is just a computer, a telephone, and time.
Anyone that is interested please send your CV to Mi email.
mathew@trilogymedicaleq.com with the subject -sales-
thank you very much every one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ed A in Greenwich, Connecticut

20 months ago

I have been in the manufacturing and sales side of the printing industry for decades and want to make a move to medical equipment sales. I am a strong "hunter" and no stranger to cold calling. My industry involves knowledge of workflow and equipment detail, and having been a buyer as well as a salesperson, I have a consultative approach which gains trust and works well with clients. What is the best way to utilize my sales strength to move into the medical equipment field? Thank you.

John Simms in Cincinnati, Ohio

13 months ago

Do yourselves a favor by getting real information on how to break into medical sales. Companies are hiring, it is just that sending your resume to HR will never get you noticed. Breaking into Medical Sales-your guide to success offered by clinicalstrategist is extremely helpful and full of real life information on how to actually get interviews.

Hinweisen in Sandhausen, Germany

7 months ago

Hello guys ! I'd like to have some ideas about a business i'm intending to start. It's about medical equipment , a kind of import/export service between Germany and my country - Ivory Coast . I'm living in Germany and am about to finish my medical studies. Thanks for your ides and help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hinweisen in Sandhausen, Germany

7 months ago

*ideas :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ganalaks@yahoo.com in Toronto, Ontario

13 days ago

Garry Williamson in Boiling Springs, South Carolina said: Wondering how to find good sales "consultants" people, selling a direct debit system to doctors to reduce collection fees and non-payments. The commissions are around 1000.00 and theres a 500.00 referal for the doctor for their referals. I think it is really a great opportunity in todays economy and I am looking for people with experience in dealing with doctors or would like to add a value added service to the portfolio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Garry,
Are you still in search of successful "sales consultants" who can close and sell your direct debit system to doctors and clinics. I am 25 years experienced in B2B sales. I have been living a decent life by selling and "introducing, convincing the benefit and closing the deal"
Please mail me if you are on the look out for deal hasslers and deal closers-
Regards
ganalaks@yahoo.com

KalebSalmon in Columbus, Indiana

11 days ago

Medical sale representative job definitely need at least a college degree. You can’t simply start it, first make a mindset, see the future opportunities, look out the competition and enhance your preventive skill. Many medical device suppliers like www.ilexmedical.com/brands.php?act=cat and many others need sales rep. to sell their product. You need to prepare yourself according to the needs that help you to gain success in the field. As much as experience you hold, the success rate will eventually increase.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.