Trying to figure out best type of medical sales that is best for me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Gary in Rockford, Illinois

29 months ago

Hi all. I am working on getting into medical sales. I have 10+ years experience selling technical building products. As the economy took a plunge years ago, I took it as an opportunity to go back to school to become a paramedic. My clinical experience also includes working in an ER, on an ambulance, and on the helicopter. As a paramedic, we learn a little of everything. I am really fascinated with the heart and lungs. I know the systems and how to treat them on an emergency basis. I understand treating is not what I'll be doing but I believe my clinical experiences will allow me to connect with the docs/ medical staff. I am currently licensed and work part time as a firefighter/ medic. I'd love to work full time, but I'm 36 years old which is too old to test in Illinois for full time positions on a fire department. Private paramedic companies just don't pay. I love the medical field and I'm good at it. I will continue to do it more or less as a hobby, learning experience, to serve the community/ network, and to keep up my license. I will sell full time as I like sales and am good at it. The question I'm struggling with is... what should I sell? I want to sell a product that correlates to what I do as a paramedic. It just makes sense. My confidence level in this area is high. Selling "glass eyes" really doesn't fit in all that well with paramedic work. I am a sharp guy capable of learning a technical product, but at this point I dont have a college degree. I will require a base salary of $55k+ (Is this out of line?). I dont mind traveling up to two days a week though I'd rather not travel. If anybody has any ideas for me on a good product where I might be a good fit, I would greatly appreciate your input. I dont want to end up selling a product with no competitive edge, career potential, or income potential. I like reading forum posts where reps talk about making $175k... I could live with that! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gale in Newport News, Virginia

23 months ago

Hi Gary,

I was wondering if you found what you were looking for in this field. I have to apologize to I replying late. Late but On Time I would say!

Please let me know how your seeking goes. I know I have what your are looking for.

Have a great Day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I have not found anything quite yet. I am currently reading through the NAMSR certification book. I am very open to ideas and opportunities. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Baltimore, Maryland

12 months ago

Im earning right around the number youre looking for with 4 years exp. As long as youre a top 20% performer selling into the OR, Cath Lab, or radiology you should easily be in the 180+ earning range. Your challenge will be explaining why you left sales altogether. Health care cost concern and cutthroat competition make this industry much different than 10 years ago. Youre gonna have to network a ton to find recruiters willing to push you as a candidate with no recent sales exp. Better off turning over every social stone to find an acquaintance to send you to their hiring manager.

12 months ago

Hi Mike. I have been spinning my tires applying online. I recently went to a "Job Fair" where I saw mainly low level positions that didn't interest me. I did however speak to quaility recruiters that recruit for sales. Problem is that they weren't recruiting for med sales. Nevertheless, lots of recruiters took interest in me. It was an eye opener for certain that getting in front of people is very important. Just applying online is a waste of time. So great advice/ reinforcement on networking. I left sales only because my company went out of business. During the economic lull of 2008 to 2010, most of the employers withing the building products industry went out of business or were laying off. I took it as an opportunity to dabble in medicine to see if I'd like it. So I went to school full time and realized I love it. I now autonomously treat stroke patients, heart attack patients, trauma patients, etc. before an M.D.. I get to attend monthly lectures/ trainings put on by MD's. It's exposed me to a lot. I'm really wanting to get back to selling a related product while I maintain my part time position. To me, it speaks volumes when you can talk the talk while kind of walking the walk. So, my next step is to get in front of some recruiters to sell myself. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that. Have a great weekend.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.