Getting a medical records clerk job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

How did you get your start doing medical records clerk work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Coleen, Folsom in Sacramento, California

92 months ago

I will need 1 yr experience in an "Inpatient Medical Records Dept." How would I go about getting my foot in the door of a Hospital to do this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (121) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Allene Harper in Washington, District of Columbia

86 months ago

How do you get to work in ahospital to get a medical records clerk job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Guenet in Kansas City, Kansas

85 months ago

Allene Harper in Washington, District of Columbia said: How do you get to work in ahospital to get a medical records clerk job

Try to get a volunteer opportunity in the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lavinia in Waterville, Maine

85 months ago

I was about to suggest the same thing, Guenet. I'm going to check out available volunteer opportunities in two hospitals this week. I'll let you all know the results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I just ordered this book for a buck thirty, because it focuses on discussing entry level basics for MRCs

Amazon.com: Being a Medical Records Clerk (2nd Edition): Books: Kathryn McMiller

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce Samuels in Brooklyn, New York

82 months ago

Allene Harper in Washington, District of Columbia said: How do you get to work in ahospital to get a medical records clerk job

I would like to know how I can get a job in the hospital. I would like to apply for Medical Record Clerk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Hi Joyce, I just polished off my third week as a file clerk for a busy gastroenterology office. I can't express how much I enjoy my work- the first time for me, actually. So far, I've called patients to confirm office visits and procedures, and shelved and pulled charts along with helping the rest of the office with tidbits. This week I was trained to know what info was inside the charts and which order they are placed. The establishment has yet to transfer their files to electronic form, but that's ok. I will be trained in putting together prep packages with instructions to mail out to patients scheduled for surgery.

I have an AS in Library Services, so I think that helped in the hiring process, because other than being a library aide for a few months, I had very little office experience. It's only part-time, which is perfect because I'm still in school until I graduate this spring.

If you have clerical experience, Joyce, I would send in your resume. If not, there's always volunteer work to consider. Please let me know what you think. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alba Aviles in Acworth, Georgia

82 months ago

I would love to work in the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sum1 in Valrico, Florida

74 months ago

you dont necessarily need clerical experience... i just got a call for an interview for a medical clerk position.. and i have only worked in retail.. but i do have computer skills...i also have taken a cna course and i am a prenursing student.. just apply the worst that can happen is that then tell you no or they dont call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Nutley, New Jersey

69 months ago

How do I get a job doing computerized medical records?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

257 in Springfield, Missouri

66 months ago

Satya Narayan Chaudhary in Kathmandu, Nepal said: I am interested to work as medical record clerk. I am migrating to Chicago, USA on the last week of March, 2008 under green card. I have good knowledge of both the computer science and medical terminology. I have completed Masters in Computer Application (3 years course) and have one and half year teaching experience in computer science for class 11 and 12. I have also completed Post graduate diploma in Perfusion technology (in 1999) and has been working as a senior perfusionist for last eight years. As a sr. perfusionist, my main job is to run the heart lung machine which acts as artificial heart and lungs during open heart surgery. So please contact me on my email address: chaudharysn@yahoo.com if there is any vacancy for me.

One of the easier way is to transfer from where you work in the Hospital or clinic to a open position in that department. If you have computer and medical terminology experience that's a plus. To be honest, there isn't a place to take or have Medical Records course, except Rhit, Rhia or a Master Degree in that Health Info mgmt department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Pamela in Nutley, New Jersey said: How do I get a job doing computerized medical records?

You will have to be in that department to do so. HIM department actually do all the process from patient records to prepping into computerizing.

66 months ago

Joyce Samuels in Brooklyn, New York said: I would like to know how I can get a job in the hospital. I would like to apply for Medical Record Clerk.

To get a job in the Hospital, the first thing to do is volunteer for as long as possible and then apply for the job when the employer has opening.

66 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing medical records clerk work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

No, there isn't a particular place for medical record education except if you are a student who is going school for Nursing, Doctor, or for your Health Info Technology (RHIT) or Administration (RHAT). They will hire you off the back if you are going school to work at the Hospital. Unless, you had worked in a Company in the past where you actually prepped, copied, scanned, and work in the Medical Records Dept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Coleen, Folsom in Sacramento, California said: I will need 1 yr experience in an "Inpatient Medical Records Dept." How would I go about getting my foot in the door of a Hospital to do this?

With no experience in that field, the best way is to volunteer first and then apply when position is open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Ozark, Missouri

60 months ago

257 in Springfield, Missouri said: To get a job in the Hospital, the first thing to do is volunteer for as long as possible and then apply for the job when the employer has opening.

I have applied numerous times at the hospitals and medical facilities around here and even though I have a degree in Health Information I don't get even a phone call. It is very fustrating. I finally asked one place what was it about my resume that they decided to go with someone else. They hired within and that was all. I think with the way the economy is right now it is getting harder for people to get a foot in the door. I need to find a job desperately and maybe the best thing for me to do is talk to one of the hospitals about doing some volunteer work. That might be the only way to get a paid job one of these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cherilyn in Dayton, Ohio

51 months ago

I am going to be getting my AA degree in HIT, I am like 30 credits away. I wanted to know how long should you volunteer in a Medical Records Dept before you actually will be able to get a job? Or how long before you should start applying for Medical Records jobs?

Thanks
Cher

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara

48 months ago

Dawn in Ozark, Missouri said: I have applied numerous times at the hospitals and medical facilities around here and even though I have a degree in Health Information I don't get even a phone call. It is very fustrating. I finally asked one place what was it about my resume that they decided to go with someone else. They hired within and that was all. I think with the way the economy is right now it is getting harder for people to get a foot in the door. I need to find a job desperately and maybe the best thing for me to do is talk to one of the hospitals about doing some volunteer work. That might be the only way to get a paid job one of these days.

Not sure if you have a job in HIM yet. I work in medical records in a clinic. I have been there 3 1/2 years. I got this job through a employment agency. When I started they just needed a swtichboard operator for a day. Then they called me back after two weeks to do the phones again. I worked the phones for 3 months and a opening came up in records. Talked to the supervisor-got the job -- with a raise! Then they hired another temp for the phones. She eventually moved to records too! You may want to try something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.