What are typical medical science liaison salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

RunningMan in Glenwood, Illinois

82 months ago

MSL salaries will start in the low to mid-90's and will go up into the 140's. Much of it will depend on the cmpany that you work for, their management (US vs foreign), and whether or not they have a specialized product. The doctoral degree is typically the standard education, but there are a few rare opportunities where you can score an MSL position without the doctorate. Lower salaries are typical as contract medical science liaisons, but this is a good 'first position', so I would not frown upon this option. Your MSL salary will increase with time in the field and increased knowledge of Key Opinion Leaders in your assigned territory. Frequent travel is required unless you go big pharma. You will also receive a company car or car allowance, and typical benefits. Be sure to ask about stock options or stock grants as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

L N in Tampa, Florida

79 months ago

Hello

I have a PhD (9 years in molecular based research), publications and now a BSN (taking RN licensing exam in 1 month)....how does one enter the field as a MSL? I left the research bench for a more clinical position and have had the hardest time landing a job. Recently I was told "you are overqualified for a research nurse coordinator position" and yet "not qualified" for anything up the totem pole! Any recruiters or HR people with advice? I am now convinced of the "who you know" policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill W in Wood Dale, Illinois

78 months ago

L N in Tampa, Florida said: Hello

I have a PhD (9 years in molecular based research), publications and now a BSN (taking RN licensing exam in 1 month)....how does one enter the field as a MSL? I left the research bench for a more clinical position and have had the hardest time landing a job. Recently I was told "you are overqualified for a research nurse coordinator position" and yet "not qualified" for anything up the totem pole! Any recruiters or HR people with advice? I am now convinced of the "who you know" policy.

It is truly a business of knowing people in the industry or at companies period. That is how I got my past 2 jobs as a MSL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L N in Tampa, Florida

78 months ago

Thanks. I have been wondering why..based on the law of probability...I have not landed a MSL position. My application is in the black hole of the HR pipeline. Feeling discouraged after all my education and experience.......:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Madcat in Palermo, Italy

76 months ago

I'm biologist in italy and I'm msl for a US big pharma. Before now I was a rep for the same company. Here we don't pay the KOLs and they're quite easy to meet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mitsuhiro, Sandro in São Paulo, Brazil

76 months ago

Dear Madcat,
Thank you for your information.
Is there a position for me in Italy? Sorry, just joking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kalia in Gainesville, Florida

76 months ago

Hi, I will be getting my PhD in Biomedical Science this December. I'm currently looking for possible career paths and just found out about MSL. It sounds very interesting to me and I would like to know a bit more. Does anyone know where I could find more information about job opportunities as a MSL? I'm willing to work in the US, Europe or Asia. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Gainesville, Florida

76 months ago

Hey Kalia,

I graduated from the IDP at UF last year. I just checked Monster for MSL positions locally and there were two listed. I'm sure that there are others in other locations too. Just do some persistent internet searching and you should find information on qualifications, etc. Pay special attention to this. It might be that you will have to start at a lower level and work your way up. A word to the wise...sometimes it may take a while to find something.

Good luck with your defense. Be sure to do everything you can to enjoy finishing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Austin, Texas

76 months ago

L N in Tampa, Florida said: Thanks. I have been wondering why..based on the law of probability...I have not landed a MSL position. My application is in the black hole of the HR pipeline. Feeling discouraged after all my education and experience.......:(

I completely understand your frustrations. I spoke with PPD about a CRA I position. They were very excited until I told them that I have PhD and they went on about how I'm overqualified and that I may not enjoy this position. They wouldn't event give me a chance to try it out. As for MSL, I've been searching these positions for a while and nada. I have corporate experience with a lot of oncology research experience, and I'm still striking out. Most MSL requires previous MSL experience, but it's hard to get one when nobody is giving the chance ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh Coker in Little Elm, Texas

74 months ago

Jenny in Austin, Texas said: I completely understand your frustrations. I spoke with PPD about a CRA I position. They were very excited until I told them that I have PhD and they went on about how I'm overqualified and that I may not enjoy this position. They wouldn't event give me a chance to try it out. As for MSL, I've been searching these positions for a while and nada. I have corporate experience with a lot of oncology research experience, and I'm still striking out. Most MSL requires previous MSL experience, but it's hard to get one when nobody is giving the chance ...

Jenny,

There is a couple of companies that we work with that do accept entry level MSL's. If you are "D" degreed and would like to talk further about working as an MSL feel free to email me at
jcoker@fidelisscientific.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

L N in Tampa, Florida said: Thanks. I have been wondering why..based on the law of probability...I have not landed a MSL position. My application is in the black hole of the HR pipeline. Feeling discouraged after all my education and experience.......:(

It helps to have someone on the inside to point to the companies that hire entry level MSL's. Feel free to email me at jcoker@fidelisscientific.com if you are still interested in working as a MSL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Etienne in Boynton Beach, Florida said: I am a Physician from France and I still do not understand what I miss to be offered an MSL position. Can anyone give me some advice?

I dont have any advice accept for the fact that you might be looking at the wrong companies. Feel free to email me at jcoker@fidelisscientific.com if you are still looking for MSL work.

gantfb in West Palm Beach, Florida

71 months ago

Etienne in Boynton Beach, Florida said: I am a Physician from France and I still do not understand what I miss to be offered an MSL position. Can anyone give me some advice?

being a physician alone does not qualify for MSL, you need some additional academic, industry and/or research experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

belated in New York, New York

70 months ago

What are the starting salary ranges? Which companies pay more? How does therapeutic area, i.e. oncology vs. internal medicine affect pay? Can anyone provide a bit more detail on the other benefits with ranges?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

TL in Teaneck, New Jersey

61 months ago

Bill W in Wood Dale, Illinois said: It is truly a business of knowing people in the industry or at companies period. That is how I got my past 2 jobs as a MSL.

Yes, I have the same problem. If you can help me, please reply. (As you are in the industry now). Thanks much.

TL in Teaneck, New Jersey

61 months ago

I hate to say this but it is not you, it is the market. This field is very compatitive now.Don't get discouraged.

DocP in Spring, Texas

55 months ago

Mitsuhiro, Sandro in São Paulo, Brazil said: I am a physician in Brazil and I have doctorate degree. 3 months ago I was offered a MSL position in an American pharmaceutical company in my country. I have been working there ever since.
I have been having the hardest time trying to set appointments with the key oppinion leaders. They just don´t have time for me. After all, the patients pay for their time and I don´t.
How do things work in US? Do MSLs pay for the time they spend with the KOls?

Hello
I am a physician from Brasil too (Sao Paulo), now living in Texas. If Brasilian still being the same, there is very easy ways to do it: Intead of trying to fit in their private practice schedule, find the hospitals they work and visit them there. Invite for dinner, get friendly with all the secretaries, assistant. Do not insult them giving pens and this stuff, but learn everybody's birthdays to send flowers to the wife, secretary, etc... It will take a litle bit of time, but you will develop a terrific network.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Raleigh, North Carolina

55 months ago

You may also want to join MSL groups on Linkedin. A couple of the groups are for experienced MSLs and some of your peers may be able to give you some assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AM in Montclair, New Jersey

49 months ago

#1. It's rare for a company to hire an MSL fresh out of school. Almost all companies require some working experience, research and clinical.
#2. The vast majority require some doctorate degree.
#3. The major way to get MSL jobs are *recruiters*. Creat a profile on Linkedin, put in your profile that you're interesting, and you will in inundated. I haven't been an MSL for years (I've moved up in pharma), but I get multiple phone calls and emails every week. There are a ton of jobs out there.

AM in Montclair, New Jersey

49 months ago

#1. It's rare for a company to hire a MSL fresh out of school. Almost all companies require some working experience, research and clinical.
#2. The vast majority require a doctorate degree.
#3. The major way to get MSL jobs are *recruiters*. Create a profile on Linkedin, put in your profile that you're interesting, and you will be inundated. I haven't been an MSL for years (I've moved up in pharma), but I get multiple phone calls and emails every week. There are a ton of jobs out there.

AJ in Gaithersburg, Maryland

48 months ago

I am a physician with both clinical experience in Africa and Europe and research experience with publications. I have hust started looking for a position as MSL. What are my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PH in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

I am a foreign MD with experience in research in U.S (CCRC) senior level. What are my chances to succeed as a MSL since I have been trying to work as CRA, but the chances for an entry level are NONE!!! I have account in Linkedin, I have posted my CV and as of today NADA!! I live in Miami, but I am willing to learn and travel.

PH in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

AJ in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I am a physician with both clinical experience in Africa and Europe and research experience with publications. I have hust started looking for a position as MSL. What are my chances?

Look for small pharma companies that love MDs with research experience plus publications; unfortunately I don't have research experience with publications just a CCRC. Good luck! Maryland has better chances than down here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

admin@mslworld.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

40 months ago

If you would like to learn more about the MSL role or to find the answers to most of the questions in this forum, go to the first career management website for the MSL role- mslworld.com. MSL WORLD is the industry’s first and only comprehensive niche career management site 100% dedicated, focused and built to serve the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) career.

This resource has a niche job board and has numerous resources for MSL candidates including articles specific to the MSL role, a blog, a global job board for only MSL roles, the first iPhone App for the MSL role that MSLs can search for global roles, videos, a mobile version for those that do not use an iPhone, Career advice articles, and other resources. www.mslworld.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aris Dimakopoulos in Nicosia, Cyprus

40 months ago

AM in Montclair, New Jersey said: #1. It's rare for a company to hire a MSL fresh out of school. Almost all companies require some working experience, research and clinical.
#2. The vast majority require a doctorate degree.
#3. The major way to get MSL jobs are *recruiters*. Create a profile on Linkedin, put in your profile that you're interesting, and you will be inundated. I haven't been an MSL for years (I've moved up in pharma), but I get multiple phone calls and emails every week. There are a ton of jobs out there.

Just wondering: if there is a ton of jobs out there, why is there megaton of usuccessful candidates and frustrated individuals who keep complaining about who difficult it is to get one of these positions...out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Raleigh, North Carolina

36 months ago

MSL jobs are actually turning into more of a career for PharmD grads than MD or PhD. Mainly because they have extensive drug knowledge along all therapeutic lines. Being an MSL may require you to facilitate research, but you aren't doing it, hence, a PhD isn't really a great candidate. Plus, MD's and PhD's are somewhat introverted. Any MD that wants to help people is going to be practicing in the field or be a director at a pharma company making much more money to start. Just saying what I've seen since being in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Danica in Auckland, New Zealand

32 months ago

Hi,

I have completed a Bachelors in Biomedical Science and a Masters in Bioscience Enterprise Degree (a degree that teaches science graduates about biomedical product commercilisation and includes marketing and business papers). I have a huge interest in the medical sciences and the bioscience enterprise degree has given me some marketing and business background and want to become an MSL. Any suggestions on how to get entry into this field given that I dont have any experience as of yet?

Bio Science in Australia

16 months ago

Hi Danica, I have completed this degree too (Master's in Bioscience Enterprise)and am now thinking about how to apply the skills I learned. Did you have any success getting an MSL role? Any tips for the Australian/NZ market or did you have to move overseas? Do you enjoy the role? Cheers!

joey in Lincolnwood, Illinois

9 months ago

Hi Jenny,

I am very interested entering pharmaceutical companies as an MSL entry level. I have a PharmD degree with clinical Hospital experience, as an educator at a community college and currently as a pharmacist at retail setting. your advise.

Thank you,
Joe Sorisho,PharmD
j.spharmd@yahoo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.