4 more courses. Where Can I take these in the bay area?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Apl420 in San Francisco, California

18 months ago

Hey guys,

Anyone know where can I take Hematology, Immunology, Medical Biology, and Quantitative analysis chemistry?
I've looked at sfsu, ccsf, skyline and none of them offer it this summer. probably due to budget cuts?
Do I have to wait until August to try to get these courses at sfsu?

--more about me--

I went to UCSC and graduated with a MCD Biology degree with the intent of going to optometry school. However, I decided not to pursue this professional anymore, since I hate the feeling of living with loans on my shoulder. I had $15k student loan as an undergrad and making $2k/month now. Probably made about 16-17k (after taxes) since I started working in September, but I have only paid 10k off my loans. that other 1/3rd of my income went to bills, etc.
I can't imagine owing $150k-200k loans for optometry school , even if I'm making 2-4x the income. I will also have a family to support and definitely more bills to come later on.

I definitely enjoyed working in labs during my undergrad, and I'm applying for lab jobs right now to get more experience.
Due to a certain incident when I was young and hospitalize for a month, I've always been inspired to go into a profession that can help and make a difference. I hope I've made a good decision by changing to CLS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

whisper in California

18 months ago

Weber State offers some of these classes online, but you will need to go to a testing center to take the exams. Most CLS programs prefer that at least hematology and medical micro have a lab component, but it's not mandatory. If you have recent or current lab experience (especially in a clinical lab) either through work or school/research, you probably don't need to worry so much about taking classes with lab components.

If I remember correctly, the website for the SFSU CLS program also has a spreadsheet that lists where you can take these classes. When I took my pre-reqs, most of them were only offered once a year, so it is possible that you won't be able to take all of them right away. The CLS programs in the Bay Area take students twice a year (spring and fall), and if you finish your pre-reqs by December, I think you should still be able to apply for the class starting in March 2014.

oiboyz in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

18 months ago

Thank you for the responses guys!
they were really helpful :)

I'm still going to try my best to get into an actual courses with lab, since you can never have too much experience going into the lab field. I might take immunology as online course through Berkeley extension or Weber if I have to.

Does hematology have a lab as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

oops nevermind that question.
Does not hahah. Might be able to take that class online as well then =]

Just gotta hope to get into Quantitative analysis and med microbio at sfsu.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Maple Ridge, British Columbia

18 months ago

I just moved from Santa Cruz! It's a great place. Have you looked into SJSU, I think they reinstated their CLS program. It will be hard to find a full time job in Santa Cruz, but you will have more luck over the hill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.