ASCP question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tim S in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Ok, I asked this question earlier today, and the person I asked it to (I think)---booted it.

The passing score of the ASCP is 400 out of 999 possible points.

Let's pretend I know everything there is to know about:

Chemistry and Microbiology.

Chemistry is worth 21% of the test, and Microbiology is worth 20% of the test. So both areas are a "combined" 41% of the test.

If I answered every single question correctly in Microbiology and Chemistry, and answered every other question wrong---would I pass?

She told me it has nothing to do with percentages, and that honestly confuses me. She said it involves equations, and error. Perhaps, I'm not smart enough to understand...

Perhaps somebody can enlighten me--What is the deal with this test, and why does it seem so confusing to understand how well I need to study for it... I've been at it for months non-stop, but I have absolutely (seemingly) nothing to gauge myself by...

Tim S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tim S in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Standards in Lewisville, Texas said: You will get a scoring breakdown if you pass or fail. Each subject you have to pass a certain threshold (400) in order for you to pass the exam. Even if you score a perfect score on one section, you still need to meet the minimum requirement in the other sections.

I know the passing score is 400, however I was told if you do exceptionally well in Microbiology you could compensate for your Blood Bank score, that is, if it was low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

danush in Quezon City, Philippines

54 months ago

did some question from labce exam question comes out of the ascp exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

danush in Quezon City, Philippines said: did some question from labce exam question comes out of the ascp exam?

No. No exact questions come out of the green, yellow, blue or purple books. No two questions are really alike because there is so much subject area.

You see, the questions on the test are not exactly hard, but the big problem is that there is SO much study area.

Think about it... They can ask you about multiple myeloma, a photomulitplier tube, an autoimmune disease and what kind of microscopy is necessary to identify it, they can ask you about Staph Aureus, or they can ask you about Clostridium difficile...

You see the amount of material covered on the test is excessive. Having a good (not excellent) comprehensive knowledge of all the subjects or an excellent understanding of a majority of the material covered on the test should lead you to pass.

400 out of 999 is passing, and it's based on some strange scale that's beyond 99% of the people on this planet. Granted if you answer more right than wrong, you will probably pass from what I surmise...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

asmita in Hopkins, Minnesota

52 months ago

anybody is selling clinical laboratory science review book 3rd edition by robert harr?pls let me knoew i want to buy urgent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MaryAnn in Stone Mountain, Georgia

52 months ago

Chris in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Hi - You refer to a "Green Book". Please tell me the title. It sounds like something I should take a look at. I am a student. Thanks. Chris

the book is called BOC from the ASCP.
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

chris in Londonderry, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to start studying!!! Chris

Hannah in Loganville, Georgia

51 months ago

If you're looking for study resources and practice tests, LabCE.com's CLS Exam Simulator has proved to be very popular: <a href="www.labce.com/ascp_mls_practice_test_exam.aspx">ASCP MLS Exam Practice Tests</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MicroGirl in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

so are you guys saying that the BOC book is less effective than Harr and LabCE I have been taking those test on LabCe everyday and have not passed one yet...my classmate said he was on there everyday and didn't get a score higher than 68 everytime he took the test but he passed the test and that's all he used was the website and class notes...no BOC and no HARR...I need help because I need to pass on the first round...any advice I have been studying and still don't feel ready to take this test and I graduated in Dec. it is now getting ready to be may...I need to take this test soon...HELP!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

I don't know about the BOC book, but I've heard other people say it's good. NOT THE GREEN ONE THOUGH! I think the 5th edition is the good BOC book.

HARR and CIULLA are excellent resources that will help you pass your test. LABCE exam simulator is also another excellent resource.

Studied 11 months, 3 hours a day. I took weekends off. Scored 685.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RMT in Murrieta, California

50 months ago

Kim in Hamilton, Bermuda said: I took the exam, and failed it the first time. I was so upset, because i have always been a good student. Has anyone failed the test before? I am looking to take the exam again, but i really want to pass it this time. Any words of wisdom from anyone.

just keep on trying...pls. don't get upset, if you fail on the first or 2nd try .. think positive and believe in yourself , and I know you can do it !! relax and stop reviewing 3 days before the exam date, pls don't forget to ask help from God , goodluck:-)... RMT MT(AAB)CLS(CA)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lostinCA in Sacramento, California

50 months ago

Does anyone out there went thru Medical Technology program from State University of New York at Buffalo(UB) has moved to CA and got California CLS license? Do CA accept the UB program rotations? I need to know? Thank You

50 months ago

Does anyone out there went thru Medical Technology program from State University of New York at Buffalo(UB) has moved to CA and got California CLS license? Do CA accept the UB program rotations? I need to know? Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

50 months ago

IMELDA in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

I PASSED ON MY FIRST TRY FOR THE MT IN MICROBIOLOGY YESTERDAY,WAS SO EXCITED CUZ I THOUGHT I FAILED...I REVIEWED POLANSKY NOTE CARDS, AND YELLOW/BLUE STUDY GUIDE...AND PRACTICE q&a AND THE BOC TO KNOW WHAT WEAKNESSES I HAD AND REVIEWED SOME MORE...REVIEW EVERYTHING AND KNOW HOW TO APPLY INFORMATION...GOOD LUCK FUTURE ASCP TEST TAKERS!!!I STUDIED FOR 3 MONTHS AND ON LAST MONTH EVERYDAY COUPLE OF HOURS A DAY AND HIT IT HARD ON THE LAST WEEK CUZ I GOT SICK WITH SINUSITIS....SO IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!!! I WAS STRESSING OUT SINCE IT WAS ALL AREAS OF MICROBIOLOGY I WOULD BE TESTED ON...IT WAS A DIFFICULT EXAM BUT PASSABLE...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Bay City, Michigan

44 months ago

Lousiana State University makes a great review book that is a "bottom line approach". It has a lot of pictures and little poems and stories to help you remember things. I mainly studied that and did some lab CE questions and passed the 1st time. I certainly did not study daily as I am a single mom of a toddler, but I paid attention in school and my internship and did about 2-3 weeks of cramming/review with the above sources.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

megaMOM in Watsonville, California

41 months ago

Add "bottom line approach" by Theriot or Jarreau, Polansky note cards, latest boc green book for somebody that is right out of school should be good. Those are the books that are highly recommended by my friends who are already certified. Those were the books I concentrated on during my 3 months review, plus a whole bunch other books to refresh my memory, as I was out of the loop for sometime. Book of Ciula, according to two of my peers is too sophisticated and not that helpful. The coverage of Medical Tech is immense, and questions are just from all over...but you have to be diligent and persistent about it all. I got overwhelmed several times during review, breathed steadily during exam, and was shaking all over after learning the fact I passed. No 2 exams are alike, I don't think. I heard from several, they had case studies in their exams...lots of them. I had some but not a lot. I had lots of questions that only experienced medical technologists would know the answers to. Those informations you get from your supervisors that are not readily found in your textbooks. I don't mean just technical issues, but those wisdom you acquire through years and years of experience. The exam was very difficult for me, and I didn't have anough time to review all my bookmarked questions. The bottomline, gather all the books that are highly recommended by the ones that are already certified (don't waste your time in others), focus on them, be persistent, keep a level head, and you will prevail. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WhiskeySlick in California

41 months ago

megaMOM in Watsonville, California said: Add "bottom line approach" by Theriot or Jarreau

Anyone else used this book? Someone mentioned it to me a few months ago so I'm curious.

The way this is going we should re-title this thread: ASCP study resources

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MLSGeek in Edgerton, Wisconsin

38 months ago

I took the test in December 2011. It was pretty much the hardest test I had ever taken though I was a straight A student and had strong medical background. I found the BOC review book not very helpful since there were no explanations on each correct answer, leaving you a lot more questions. The questions on the exam got harder and harder until you got it wrong (and wondered why you had never known of or heard of such things/names/procedures and whether they really existed). The scores came by mail in about 2 weeks. It only told me my total score without any percentage from each department or anything. I got only about ten mircobiology questions and a lot of blood bank and coagulation ones, which I found so strange. Yet, I do believe you must get a minimum score from each department in order to pass the test. So, study hard and you shall pass. Good luck!

Ces in Hempstead, New York

35 months ago

I just took the MLS test yesterday and the whole time I was taking it I was so upset because I really thought I failed it. Thank God I passed though. It was pretty tough. You REALLY have to know your stuff. I got asked very specific and detailed questions. I took the MLT one in 2009 and don't remember having as hard a time. I know that test is supposed to be easier but I breezed through that one. I studied for the MLS about two weeks and the Polansky cards were recommeded to me and I loved them. They have a lot of information and are so handy to carry around. I took them everywhere (even the gym) and read them any chance I got, even on the treadmill. ;) Great investment and I will keep them just for reference, for sure. I also went through the whole ASCP BOC new green book and answered every question and only reviewed the questions I did not understand or got wrong. The new book has explanations on the answers unlike the old book I studied in 2009. I have to admit though I agree with the whole taking it as soon as possible when you are done with school. I now have three years MLT generalist experience but there is nothing like having all the info you learned in school still fresh in your mind. That, I think, is one of the best advantages. Either way it is possible so study hard. Good Luck to all!

jill in Mundelein, Illinois

35 months ago

Ces in NY, I'm the same way, just passed my mls this Mon, took my mlt in 09 and have 3 yrs exp as a generalist....I was sure I did lousy, only studied for about a month and quit all together about 2 weeks ago lol.... it was kinda fun to see the diff between the mlt and mls tho. Mlt def was more regurgitating direct knowledge, and the mls I felt was more situational...like "here is the situation, these are the test results, what would your next step be?". I used labce, the bor and some pretty cool medical apps I downloaded for my android tab :-) . To all you taking the mls, hope this helps and good luck!

Ghadir Shahin in Hammonton, New Jersey

33 months ago

jill in Mundelein, Illinois said: Ces in NY, I'm the same way, just passed my mls this Mon, took my mlt in 09 and have 3 yrs exp as a generalist....I was sure I did lousy, only studied for about a month and quit all together about 2 weeks ago lol.... it was kinda fun to see the diff between the mlt and mls tho. Mlt def was more regurgitating direct knowledge, and the mls I felt was more situational...like "here is the situation, these are the test results, what would your next step be?". I used labce, the bor and some pretty cool medical apps I downloaded for my android tab :-) . To all you taking the mls, hope this helps and good luck!

Hello can i ask you please to take this exam you advice me to study from Labce this will be useful for me? and this is enough to study from or i'll need another resources and if yes please would you tell me what resources i can use.
i'm Thankful for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SanLou in Galway, Ireland

33 months ago

Hi there I am in the process of getting my irish degree verified so I can even apply to do the exam I hope to do it in the beginning of December, I have the up to date green BOC ASCP book and my course notes from college, What else do I need, some have mentioned the Polansky note cards, however I looked them up on Amazon and it says the latest edition of them is from 2000, how relevant are they?? Are they too out of date to use?? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Also has anyone any recommendations for a book for serology??

L in Manila, Philippines

31 months ago

can i know the difference of "Clinical Laboratory Science Review: bottom line approach" by Theriot or Jarreau?? is it the same series of books? 1st&2nd edition - by theroit and 3rd edition - by jarreau???? is it like that??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ramy Elsayyad in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

hay everybody. first of all i thank all of you above for all the info i found useful for me. im still in my third year in "medical technology major" in "college of Staten Island" in "New York State" and i got like 5 classes left to my last year (4th year) which is training I and II. second of all: So i got two questions. one: I want to get a master degree in medical technology, do I or can I take ASCP exam before taking the master degree program(how it work)???
Two: Do you think getting books from other states plus the books here in New York State is good idea, if yes which states do you recommend for me to look and what are the good books in those states should i used???
please write title and author if possible.

31 months ago

thanks!

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York

31 months ago

You do not need to take the ASCP for your masters degree. The ASCP certification allows you to be licensed by New York State to work as a technologist, that's all. It doesn't grant you admissions to a masters program. Most of the students from CSI fails the ASCP anyways so good luck with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SanLou in Tuam, Ireland

31 months ago

Ramy Elsayyad in Brooklyn, New York said: hay everybody. first of all i thank all of you above for all the info i found useful for me. im still in my third year in "medical technology major" in " college of Staten Island" in "New York State" and i got like 5 classes left to my last year (4th year) which is training I and II. second of all: So i got two questions. one: I want to get a master degree in medical technology, do I or can I take ASCP exam before taking the master degree program(how it work)???
Two: Do you think getting books from other states plus the books here in New York State is good idea, if yes which states do you recommend for me to look and what are the good books in those states should i used???
please write title and author if possible.

hey Ramy, ok so I'm not sure about your questions given that I studied in Ireland, but from what I can gather, having your masters and getting the ASCP registration are not linked in any way. As far as I can tell, if you have your masters in Medical Science or whatever, then great, but one way or another to work as a medical technologist you will have to take the ASCP exam. Given that I am out of college now for two years and although I have been working as a medical scientist I'm finding it really hard to sit and study for this exam so take it as soon as you can once finishing!
Hope this helps even a little!

30 months ago

Jimmy Neutron in New York, New York said: You do not need to take the ASCP for your masters degree. The ASCP certification allows you to be licensed by New York State to work as a technologist, that's all. It doesn't grant you admissions to a masters program. Most of the students from CSI fails the ASCP anyways so good luck with that.

thanks for reply back to me and sorry for reply late. So, i hope if i do "move on" in this major (Medical Technology) things will be good and right now(these days): im actually getting info about Physician Assistant (PA) program which my two brothers told me to think about it, it is tough field but pay more than "Med Tech" which is somethings (salary) that i have to keep in mind. so thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

SanLou in Tuam, Ireland said: hey Ramy, ok so I'm not sure about your questions given that I studied in Ireland, but from what I can gather, having your masters and getting the ASCP registration are not linked in any way. As far as I can tell, if you have your masters in Medical Science or whatever, then great, but one way or another to work as a medical technologist you will have to take the ASCP exam. Given that I am out of college now for two years and although I have been working as a medical scientist I'm finding it really hard to sit and study for this exam so take it as soon as you can once finishing!
Hope this helps even a little!

thanks for reply back to me and sorry for reply late. So, i really do not if want to continue to become a Medical Technologist, not because it is not a great, for sure it is, but i checked and asked about salary per year and it is an average between 50,000 to 55,000 a year and to do reach something like an 80,000 a year (which i do need for my responsibilities that i will have) is by working a lot more hours and take a lot shifts if it is possible.So, right now(these days): im actually started getting info about Physician Assistant (PA) program which my two brothers told me to think about it, it is tough field but pay more than "Med Tech" which is somethings (salary) that i have to keep in mind plus it is still in the science field that i find myself into. So im still thinking and gathering info and im might try complete their requirements and see if i pass their interview and if i get accepted then i will probably move on to become a PA. so thanks again!

alee in San Jose, California

30 months ago

hi evrybody,
i m freshly graduate in medical lab technology , and much curoius abt futre , plzz anyone help me and telll me what should i do nxt , ASCP certification exams , csmls exams or anyother , plzz help me with ur suggestions , thanx to all

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

30 months ago

Is there any way to take the exam without experience?

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

30 months ago

HopefulGuy in New Jersey said: Is there any way to take the exam without experience?

No, you must have some kind of experience or training from an NACLS-accredited program.

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

30 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: No, you must have some kind of experience or training from an NACLS-accredited program.

What about grossing for about 5 months in the histo department of a CAP-accredited lab? Would that count?

30 months ago

HopefulGuy in New Jersey said: What about grossing for about 5 months in the histo department of a CAP-accredited lab? Would that count?

First, I assume you mean to take the histotechnician(HT)/histotechnologist(HTL) certification exam rather than the medical laboratory scientist exam. MLS is a completely different skill set from HT/HTL. ASCP has two routes to become certified: either complete an accredited program or have one year of experience with adequate education. For example, if you have a bachelors degree (any major) and one year of experience in a clinical histology lab, you can sit for the exam. So you'd need 7 more months of experience to fulfill that requirement.

Source: www.ascp.org/Board-of-Certification/GetCertified#tabs-1

HopefulGuy in New Jersey

30 months ago

I see. Thank you very much for your insightful information. I really appreciate it, Andy. Happy Holidays and here's to much better times in 2013!

Ghadir Shahin in Hammonton, New Jersey

29 months ago

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas said: No, you must have some kind of experience or training from an NACLS-accredited program.

excuseme, like they won't accept that i'm without experince or the exam is to hard to pass it without experince ??
thank you for your help

29 months ago

Ghadir Shahin in Hammonton, New Jersey said: excuseme, like they won't accept that i'm without experince or the exam is to hard to pass it without experince ??
thank you for your help

They won't let you sit for the exam unless you fulfill their experience requirements. I assume you'll have to send them some kind of proof of employment in order to take the test.

That being said, the test will be pretty difficult to pass without doing a program first (for those who just have experience). The exam is WAY more in depth than what you find on a daily basis in the lab.

Wes63 in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

Hey everyone, thought I would add in for anyone who's going to challange the MLS exam... So I applied through route 2 for the MLS exam around the end of Jan since I'm MLT with 4yrs exp; it wasn't too difficult of a process. Did the online application, sent official transcripts and had my previous employer (us navy) send an offical letter of authenticity and experience form. I have a B.S. in health sciences, so I was a little nervous about being eligible when I read how many credits you need for each section (micro/chem etc.). To my suprise/relief though I found out I was eligible about 2-3 weeks ago, and have been studying like crazy. I will say some of the MLS content are things I never learned in school, but will probably never use as well. I'm using CLS Review-Harr, notes from fellow coworkers from school and I have yet to buy the flashcards everyone has mentioned. I might do the LacCE courses, not sure yet. I will say that the ASCP online practice tests suck though. Once you finish a test, it tells you what you got wrong, but with no explination...and it seems like they're really old tests. Anyways, I'll probably give myself until the end of June to study and go for it, hopefully it works out! Oh, and I had to mail my stuff twice to ASCP bc they "couldn't find it", so anticipate delays...and a pack of postage stamps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TFarnon in Sparks, Nevada

26 months ago

Surprise, surprise! I don't know about the other departments, but I'm training in my first job after graduation and passing the exam. I'm training in blood banking/transfusion medicine/immunohematology. And guess what, folks: I'm using everything I learned in school and then some. Seriously.

Don't go thinking you will just be standing at an automated analyzer pushing buttons and occasionally cleaning the analyzer and adding fresh reagents. There's a whole lot of thinking and remembering what you were taught to be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikhael in El Cajon, California

25 months ago

Hey Guys
I just passed the test since 2 weeks
my advise to you
do not panic from the first 10 question, do not lose your control
it is hard exam but you can pass because the passing score is only 400
god helps you guys all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MLS2013Cytogenetics in Royal Oak, Michigan

24 months ago

Just took the ascp on 6/15/2013 and passed. The only thing I studied from was the bottom line approach 3rd edition and very briefly glossed over the green BOC book as well as looked online for some images of red cell inclusions. The first half of the test seemed hard while the second half was much easier. Thought I failed by question 30. I took it 1 week following the end of my internship at Detroit Medical Center. If you paid attention in college and use the bottom line approach to brush up on forgotten details like significance of prolonged APTT/PT or what chemical profiles are characteristic of certain diseases you will pass.

JoeP223 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

I am interested in becoming a medical technologist, and I have some of the prerequisites required to enter into a 5 year clinical rotation and advanced certificate program. I would need to take a few more classes in the coming year. However, my majors are political science and environmental studies. Would I still be eligible to get into the program and sit for the exam at its conclusion?

Murano09 in Temple, Texas

21 months ago

Can somebody PLEASE break down the scoring points for the ASCP? I took the ASCP and did not pass. I should have passed that exam because I studied like crazy. What are the best study tools for the ASCP exam? I thought the labce would have helped me out but it didn't. The only thing the labce did was, shed some light in the areas I was having a little trouble with.

James Pa in Souderton, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Hmm just took it and passed thought I failed

Questions are very hard, people say alot of the questions from the green BOC book the illustrations also.

It pretty much covers everything, machinery QA, alot of different scenarios. I had to narrow down answers to.........just went with my first hunch.

I used labce practice exam, note cards by Patsy and the Clinical Lab Science in review book the one with the yellow cover.

But most of my classmates said they used the green BOC book since the questions are similar in format.

woody100 in Jeffersonville, Indiana

18 months ago

Murano09 in Temple, Texas said: Can somebody PLEASE break down the scoring points for the ASCP? I took the ASCP and did not pass. I should have passed that exam because I studied like crazy. What are the best study tools for the ASCP exam? I thought the labce would have helped me out but it didn't. The only thing the labce did was, shed some light in the areas I was having a little trouble with.

I just passed my exam last week, I used the Harr Lab review book, and Labce.. Labce is really good at letting yiou track your progress as you study, I looked at the BOR(green book) occasionally to make sure I could answer theminthat format ,, Oh yea, at the end of the exam you can review your answers and change some of them if you choose,, I would recommend NOT to change anything, usally the first choice is the right one... Good LUck

tonia in Belton, Texas

18 months ago

Hello I understand what you mean by studying that Labce. I felt the same as you. I studied my butt off!!!!! Everything that I thought was a good study tool WAS NOT!!!! I felt I should have passed it too. If there is another great study tool(s) can someone PLEASE let me know.

RMF in Fresno, California

18 months ago

tonia in Belton, Texas said: Hello I understand what you mean by studying that Labce. I felt the same as you. I studied my butt off!!!!! Everything that I thought was a good study tool WAS NOT!!!! I felt I should have passed it too. If there is another great study tool(s) can someone PLEASE let me know.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your "weak" spots? When your recieved your results what area did you score low on?

tonia in Belton, Texas

18 months ago

RMF in Fresno, California said: If you don't mind me asking, what were your "weak" spots? When your recieved your results what area did you score low on?

Let the ASCP analysis tell it all areas were my weak spot. Going by my labce scores microbiology and blood banking were the weakest, which I agree.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.