Applications in California -- when to expect a response? (SJSU, SFSU)

Comments (40)

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

22 months ago

I'm wondering if people know by what date applicants should expect to hear back (one way or another) from SJSU and SFSU for the mid-year deadlines for Spring 2014 (June 1, and June 15 of this year, respectively). I would HOPE they would be considerate enough to allow us all time to gather the necessary materials to reapply in the fall (which deadlines are November 1, I believe? for Fall 2014). I know that both of the places say they accept materials until end of July-- so I guess it's reasonable to not have heard anything yet. However, I did get the email with the "document" shared to me by SJSU admissions detailing the status of my application documents (received, not received, etc) -- everything has been received by them as of June 22nd, but it says nothing on this document about if my application has been reviewed or not... and I have heard nothing back from SFSU, not even if anything has been received. Which is slightly disconcerting.

So, I realize I may be being impatient, but I'm really wanting to know if I got in, and where, so that I can pick labs to try and tour for a leg-up in the lab recruitment section of interviews...

I think it's a little silly they don't have a "We will send out letters by X day of X month" so they don't get a million people harassing their info email for info that could easily be posted on their website. If you can see this information somewhere and I am just blind, PLEASE by all means tell me I'm a dork and point me in the right direction.

I am just so excited and nervous and dying to hear back!

whisper in California

22 months ago

Last year SJSU sent out e-mails about lab tours in late July (just a couple of days before August so you might still be waiting a few more days), and we were given three weeks to contact the clinical sites and complete the tours. The interviews were a whole month later, and when I applied, they did two cuts: one before the tours, and then one after the tours. However, I don't think they are doing this anymore. When I was training, we had applicants taking tours the day before interviews, so I'm not sure if SJSU simply extended the timeframe for tours, or if they decided to just make one cut during the application process.

Regarding SFSU, I'd encourage you to follow up with them just to find out whether they received your application. I applied to both SJSU and SFSU for Spring 2012, and was in the same situation you were. I heard back from SJSU that my application was complete, but not a single word from SFSU. While I was touring some of the SJSU clinical sites, I met a few students who had applied to both schools too. Turns out that by the time you start visiting labs affiliated with SJSU, SFSU will already have started their interview process (they have 2 interviews, one before the tours, unlike SJSU). That's when I decided to follow up with SFSU, and I was told my application was "held" in Graduate Studies, so the SFSU CLS program never considered my application complete. For both schools you have to apply to their respective graduate programs, but SJSU at least tells you they got all your stuff. SFSU, it seems, won't tell you anything unless they receive a complete application (which includes the online application to the graduate program, which is then forwarded to the CLS program).

whisper in California

22 months ago

By the time I followed up with Graduate Studies and resolved the issue, they were already done with the first wave of interviews. (For the record, my SFSU application was "held" because the graduate program wanted a copy of my green card. Funny thing because they never requested it, and nowhere in the instructions was there anything about submitting a copy of it). Also, unless SFSU changed their application timeframe, you don't get a lot of time to resolve this kind of thing. They start their interviews just a few days after the deadline for the online application to their graduate program. It may be a good idea to follow up after you submit that as well (if you haven't already).

As far as reapplying goes... SFSU later asked me if I wanted them to keep my documents for the next cycle. Since I didn't actually reapply, I'm not sure how they handle it exactly. I'm assuming they will just keep everything, and you can re-submit whatever you want to update.

It is a long process, but you should be hearing from them soon. Good luck!

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

22 months ago

Thank you for your very comprehensive response! I will figure out how to contact SFSU and try to be a little more patient regarding SJSU.

Biostudent453 in Santa Clara, California

22 months ago

I got a denial email from SFSU on 7/9 stating that my application would not be considered for admission because 1 of my letters of recommendation was not submitted by the deadline. It would appear in your case that no news is good news, although I agree that is not very reassuring. If I were you, I would follow up with SFSU. I have emailed them a few times and they have always been quick to respond, typically within 1-2 days. SJSU is still accepting documents through the end of the month so you have likely not heard anything because they are still processing applications. Defiantly follow up, if this process has taught me anything it is be proactive!

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

22 months ago

I check with SFSU and they said my application is complete, just to apply via CSUmentor starting yesterday *doing that right now*

Per San Jose, I still haven't heard anything. Really hoping that isn't a 'no'. I know they were supposed to accept documents through the end of July, so I am probably just being impatient on that one... still, the anticipation is killing me.

Thank you for your advice :)

whisper in California

21 months ago

I would suggest following up with SFSU after you submit your application through CSUmentor as well. This is where my application got "lost."

Regarding SJSU, as long as you know that your application is complete, I think no news is good news for the time being. During exit interviews a few months ago, our program coordinator said that with all the applications they receive nowadays, they have to tell a lot of people "no" right off the bat. I think you should be hearing one way or the other pretty soon. Just hang in there!

basheezy in Hercules, California

21 months ago

I just got an email today from SJSU saying they just started reviewing apps and that it would take about 1 month before they start inviting people for interviews.
As for sfsu, nothing yet.

yahz123 in Novato, California

21 months ago

I had my faculty interview for SFSU's program yesterday.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

Thanks for all the replies. SFSU rejected me, hasn't sent me the letter with the "reason" yet. SJSU the email said "early in September" they will make a decision, then give us time in Sept to do lab interviews before faculty interviews Oct 9-10. So no word from them yet.. I'm starting to get a little antsy, at this point it's going to fit in 10 lab interviews/tours before October 9th.

Still.. I will make it work if I can just get the acceptance/interview letter!

Clsapplicant in Santa Clara, California

20 months ago

Has anyone gotten word from SJSU yet?

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

Just got the email. No interview for me. I guess I'll try again next round.

Clsapplicant in Santa Clara, California

20 months ago

I got a denial as well. Jemc2 what are your stats? (GPA, lab experience, grades in pre reqs, did you take the lab component for any of the pre req classes?)

I have a 3.1 GPA
Med micro C+ (guessing this might be the biggest reason for my denial... I'm retaking it right now)
Immunology B
Immunology lab A
Hematology A

I didn't take the lab component for medical micro or hematology. No outside lab experience.

CLSStudent2012 in California

20 months ago

Clsapplicant in Santa Clara, California said: I got a denial as well. Jemc2 what are your stats? (GPA, lab experience, grades in pre reqs, did you take the lab component for any of the pre req classes?)

I have a 3.1 GPA
Med micro C+ (guessing this might be the biggest reason for my denial... I'm retaking it right now)
Immunology B
Immunology lab A
Hematology A

I didn't take the lab component for medical micro or hematology. No outside lab experience.

Right there at the end is the reason you got denied. Honestly, although grades play a role in getting into a program, it is most often the smallest component. I think for my program in Southern Cali it was 5-10% when I looked at the point allocation system. The biggest emphasis is placed on lab experience- everyone in my program had 3-4 years of experience working in some capacity in a lab, most research, but also one as a lab assistant. If you have no lab experience and didn't even take lab components for your pre-reqs, why would a program believe that you would be a good fit as a scientist in their program?

Instead of retaking classes to get a very small boost in your application score, it would be much more beneficial to get experience in a lab. A great place to start is to get your Phlebotomy license and get a part time job as a plebotomist. Or work as an aid in the lab itself. Or even see if you can volunteer at a lab in some way. I don't want to come across as harsh, and I apologize if I do, but you really need to focus on experience rather than grades.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

GPA 3.15 last 60 sem/90 qtr units, Sci GPA 2.86, Cumulative 2.71
Med micro (with lab) A-
Immunology (no lab) A-
Hematology (no lab) A
Quantative analysis (no lab) C+ (I'm thinking this one might be the culprit?)

Phlebotomy license since 2011
Public Health lab assistant 1 year
Reference lab assistant in micro for 3 months
Junior Research Specialist in a microbiology research lab for a year and a half.

whisper in California

20 months ago

Clsapplicant in Santa Clara, California said: I got a denial as well. Jemc2 what are your stats? (GPA, lab experience, grades in pre reqs, did you take the lab component for any of the pre req classes?)

I have a 3.1 GPA
Med micro C+ (guessing this might be the biggest reason for my denial... I'm retaking it right now)
Immunology B
Immunology lab A
Hematology A

I didn't take the lab component for medical micro or hematology. No outside lab experience.

I agree with the person above me in that CLS programs look very favorably on lab experience (whether it's from work, research, volunteering or classes). Ideally I'd say go for a clinical lab (there are some places that will hire lab assistants without a phlebotomy license), but any kind of lab experience is better than no experience. You could also try looking for a job in a biotech company to get more experience. If you can't get lab experience through work, research or volunteering, I'd suggest taking the lab components for hematology and medical micro. When I had exit interviews for SJSU, our coordinator told us that they are now giving preference to students who have lab experience (work, research or classes). We had a student drop out of the program just a few weeks before the end of the year, and the coordinator thinks one of the factors leading to this was not having "lab hands."

panther in San Carlos, California

20 months ago

Hi whisper, would you share some of your experience regarding the clinical tours? And do you happen to know how your classmates cope with the long commute between class and work place? Did any of them really go to SJSU every Monday for classes and go to Fresno or Santa Maria, Ridgecrest (300 miles) from Tuesday to Friday? It just sounds impossible ... Thank you very much.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

panther, a friend of mine did SJSU a few years ago, she was in the lab in Bakersfield, and commuted. She said they had class every Friday, and throughout the week there were online materials to review. She said it was a little hard in the beginning but she got used to it pretty fast.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California said: GPA 3.15 last 60 sem/90 qtr units, Sci GPA 2.86, Cumulative 2.71
Med micro (with lab) A-
Immunology (no lab) A-
Hematology (no lab) A
Quantative analysis (no lab) C+ (I'm thinking this one might be the culprit?)

Phlebotomy license since 2011
Public Health lab assistant 1 year
Reference lab assistant in micro for 3 months
Junior Research Specialist in a microbiology research lab for a year and a half.

If they are so gung ho over lab experience, what else can I add to my application to make it better? I already have a ton of lab experience. I have been out of the lab since Sept 2012 and have been director for a non-profit promoting awareness of an endemic fungal disease, but have been in school labs throughout that time. I plan to get back into a lab ASAP-- I have been wanting to do that, but was in school until June this year full time doing prereq classes, and other classes over again to raise my GPA. at this point I don't know what else I can do besides bolster my GPA and get back into a lab. I'm just super frustrated because I know I'm qualified for these programs, but can't get in apparently.

panther in San Carlos, California

20 months ago

wow, driving 300 miles every Friday for a whole year, she's amazing ... I'm wondering why SJSU doesn't do the classes in one semester thing just like SFSU? That will make life much easier ...

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

panther in San Carlos, California said: wow, driving 300 miles every Friday for a whole year, she's amazing ... I'm wondering why SJSU doesn't do the classes in one semester thing just like SFSU? That will make life much easier ...

Yeah I tend to agree-- however, if it makes you feel any better, the cost of living in the places that are THAT far away from the bay is literally less than half of that in the bay. You would probably make up for it in gas, but at least you save money on rent..haha

whisper in California

20 months ago

panther in San Carlos, California said: Hi whisper, would you share some of your experience regarding the clinical tours? And do you happen to know how your classmates cope with the long commute between class and work place? Did any of them really go to SJSU every Monday for classes and go to Fresno or Santa Maria, Ridgecrest (300 miles) from Tuesday to Friday? It just sounds impossible ... Thank you very much.

Hi, panther. If your clinical site is near campus (like Stanford, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center or some of the Kaisers in the San Jose area), you're expected to attend class in person every Monday (classes are now on Mondays). If your clinical site is not near campus (especially the ones like in Ridgecrest or Sacramento), you can watch the Monday lectures online and take the exams at your clinical site. Some clinical sites near San Jose will allow you to watch lectures online, but if you go to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, you'll definitely be expected to attend lecture in person. The commute really depends on the clinical site you are assigned to, and where you currently live. In my case, I moved to San Jose for the program. One of my classmates actually commuted four times a week from San Francisco to downtown San Jose, though. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. You work 8 hours a day, and it's not just a regular job. You're constantly being trained and learning new things, so in that sense I think it is more tiring than a job. Then you go home and need to study. If possible, I think it's a good idea to try to minimize your commute as much as possible.

whisper in California

20 months ago

Regarding tours, it looks like the process has been changed since the time I had tours. For my class, they had us visit the clinical sites first. Then they selected who went on interviews. My recommendation is to visit as many sites as possible and to rank every single site during your interview. The coordinators from each site turn in a list of applicants they are willing to accept, and the applicants rank the sites in order of preference. SJSU will match applicants to the sites, and the applicants with the best score (based on interview, essay and application) will be matched first. Because of this matching system, ranking every site will increase your chances of being accepted.

When you contact the coordinators for a tour, they will give you a list of dates/times for the tours. If you can't make any of those times, let them know. A lot of them will still try to accommodate you (one coordinator gave me a tour on his day off). Also, one coordinator in particular told me that some people didn't reply to him once he sent a schedule of the tours, so it's a good idea to let the coordinators know if you can't make it.

Just be professional, show your interest in getting into the program, and ask questions. The interview at SJSU is extremely short, so the lab tours give you an opportunity to get to know not just the lab but the coordinators as well.

whisper in California

20 months ago

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California said: If they are so gung ho over lab experience, what else can I add to my application to make it better? I already have a ton of lab experience. I have been out of the lab since Sept 2012 and have been director for a non-profit promoting awareness of an endemic fungal disease, but have been in school labs throughout that time. I plan to get back into a lab ASAP-- I have been wanting to do that, but was in school until June this year full time doing prereq classes, and other classes over again to raise my GPA. at this point I don't know what else I can do besides bolster my GPA and get back into a lab. I'm just super frustrated because I know I'm qualified for these programs, but can't get in apparently.

Is this your first time applying? Our coordinator at SJSU keeps saying that unfortunately nowadays they have to turn down a lot of qualified applicants simply because of the number of applications they are receiving. You definitely have a lot of lab experience. I think your only weakness is the overall GPA, since it's close to the cutoff. Aside from taking classes to boost your GPA, I'm not sure what else you could do, but sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. I've heard about a lot of people reapplying. You could see if the programs will tell you how to make your application more competitive for the next cycle.

panther in San Carlos, California

20 months ago

Thanks a lot! You guys are the best!

Clsapplicant in Santa Clara, California

20 months ago

Thanks for the input everyone. It really helps to get some feedback from those who have been through the process. I have been looking for a lab job since I graduated in May in hopes of getting some relevant experience. I will continue to look for work and reapply for the next cycle. I feel your frustration jemc2! Hopefully next year will be our year!

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

whisper in California said: Is this your first time applying? Our coordinator at SJSU keeps saying that unfortunately nowadays they have to turn down a lot of qualified applicants simply because of the number of applications they are receiving. You definitely have a lot of lab experience. I think your only weakness is the overall GPA, since it's close to the cutoff. Aside from taking classes to boost your GPA, I'm not sure what else you could do, but sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. I've heard about a lot of people reapplying. You could see if the programs will tell you how to make your application more competitive for the next cycle.

Thanks for the advice. It is my first time applying... I waited to apply until I was sure I was within range for everything and had all the prereqs. I don't know what classes to take to raise my GPA at this point, since I finally have all of the prereqs. I am hoping SFSU's rejection letter (when it finally gets here, I just found out online) will give me an actual reason. If it's GPA then I don't know, I'll have to find more classes to take.

CLSStudent2012 in California

20 months ago

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California said: Thanks for the advice. It is my first time applying... I waited to apply until I was sure I was within range for everything and had all the prereqs. I don't know what classes to take to raise my GPA at this point, since I finally have all of the prereqs. I am hoping SFSU's rejection letter (when it finally gets here, I just found out online) will give me an actual reason. If it's GPA then I don't know, I'll have to find more classes to take.

It is probably due to your GPA. Science is weighted more heavily than cumulative, and you are below 3.0 for both. There are many programs that wouldn't even look at your application as 3.0 is usually the cutoff. Your experience is outstanding- tons of relevant labwork. But the fact of the matter is, many applicants have that kind of experience, and the difference between acceptance and rejection is SO tight/narrow that even a tiny difference in GPA could make or break you. Getting into these programs is like getting into an Ivy league school, if not more difficult. Seriously. Most Ivy leagues have about an 8% admittance rate. Most CLS programs have about 5%. The program I went through accepts 4 students out of 60-80 each year, and we aren't even the most competitive. It really is unfortunate, but there isn't a lot you can do except apply to more programs next year and try to boost your GPA.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

I got the rejection letter from SFSU yesterday and they listed my GPA (last 60/90 units) and cumulative as the reason. Only problem is, the GPAs they listed were from my undergraduate degree transcript (2.88/2.55 respectively) which obviously I knew wouldn't get in... this is why I spent the last year in classes to bring it up to 3.15/2.71.
They list the cutoff as 3.0 for last 60/90 units, not cumulative, or I would not have wasted the time applying.

I'm confused and frustrated as to why/how my post graduate classes were left out of the calculation when I spent a concerted effort making sure I got MY calculations right.
Obviously this doesn't help me now, and I know my GPA could be better. But I specifically waited until I was within range to apply. I am going to try to contact someone about the mistake on Monday, and at least hopefully it can be resolved before next deadline.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

I just wanted to update this... I talked to Grad Admissions at SFSU and it turns out someone didn't look at the last page of my transcripts. They miscalculated my GPA, didn't include my last year of classes.. so I was rejected based on that mistake. Unfortunately due to that not being figured out until so late in the game, I'll have to apply again for next term. but those of you here looking for qualifications of people rejected/accepted.. you can basically ignore mine, since there was a mistake made in the process.

mia123 in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

A few questions before considering to apply to CLS program:

1) What counts as science GPA? Is it your major GPA? If I switched my major once (still in the sciences) and got my Bachelor, but my first major GPA was messed up. Would I still be considered as a qualified applicant?

2)My upper division biology classes don't look too good, so I am retaking those classes in a cc or state university and have improved ever since. I wanna know if they would take my highest grade of that course or average them out? Is it okay to retake the classes that you don't do so well on? :(

3) Which schools with CLS programs have less strict GPA requirement in CA or nearby states?

4) As for Cal State LA CLS program, do they require a minimum 2.75 of your science GPA or the GPA of the required pre-req courses? Can someone double check for me?

Thank you.

VickiBlueberry in San Diego, California

17 months ago

mia123 in Los Angeles, California said: A few questions before considering to apply to CLS program:

1) What counts as science GPA? Is it your major GPA? If I switched my major once (still in the sciences) and got my Bachelor, but my first major GPA was messed up. Would I still be considered as a qualified applicant?

2)My upper division biology classes don't look too good, so I am retaking those classes in a cc or state university and have improved ever since. I wanna know if they would take my highest grade of that course or average them out? Is it okay to retake the classes that you don't do so well on? :(

3) Which schools with CLS programs have less strict GPA requirement in CA or nearby states?

4) As for Cal State LA CLS program, do they require a minimum 2.75 of your science GPA or the GPA of the required pre-req courses? Can someone double check for me?

Thank you.

1. I think science classes include Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science.
2. It's ok to retake classes to improve your GPA, and they will average those 2.
3. There are not many people applying to Loma Linda University since it's too expensive, and I heard they accept 60 students per year. I'm not sure if they have strict GPA requirement. However, if you have 3.0 cumulative and science GPA, I think you'll have a good chance.
4. It's said on the CSULA instructions that they want minimum GPA of 2.75 of all required classes they listed. It looks like GPA is for pre-req classes, not all science classes.

ViVii in San Diego, California

15 months ago

whisper in California said: That's when I decided to follow up with SFSU, and I was told my application was "held" in Graduate Studies, so the SFSU CLS program never considered my application complete. For both schools you have to apply to their respective graduate programs, but SJSU at least tells you they got all your stuff. SFSU, it seems, won't tell you anything unless they receive a complete application (which includes the online application to the graduate program, which is then forwarded to the CLS program).

So the SFSU Grad Division this time has so much backlog, and I guess their delay may have affected many applicants. So far they have been interviewing many candidates already, and I think they are the ones who got their transcripts processed at the Graduate Division first.

MTech in El Monte, California

14 months ago

I guess SFSU is still interviewing and has not yet made a decision yet.

SJSU and UCD decisions are out.

UCSD and CSULA are still interviewing more candidates this week.

Anyone got offer from Arrow Head, Eisenhower, UCD, SJSU???

gakutenou in Richmond, California

14 months ago

MTech in El Monte, California said: I guess SFSU is still interviewing and has not yet made a decision yet.

Anyone got offer from Arrow Head, Eisenhower, UCD, SJSU???

2nd half of affiliate panel interviews were today, first half was on Friday.

MTech in El Monte, California

14 months ago

Today is the last day of 2nd round interview at SFSU. So when will the final result be announced? I am in the alternative pool of applicants, so I am still hopeful for the miracle.

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

14 months ago

MTech in El Monte, California said: Today is the last day of 2nd round interview at SFSU. So when will the final result be announced? I am in the alternative pool of applicants, so I am still hopeful for the miracle.

In my offer email they asked we accept or reject our offers by march 19 at noon. So presumably alternates will be notified by then? If you are an alternate does that mean you were not in our group of 51 students invited to the lab tours?

MTech in El Monte, California

14 months ago

No, I'm not, Jemc2.
Which hospital are you going to be an intern at?
Did you also get offer from some other schools?

jemc2 in Bakersfield, California

14 months ago

MTech in El Monte, California said: No, I'm not, Jemc2.
Which hospital are you going to be an intern at?
Did you also get offer from some other schools?

I only applied to SFSU, and I will be interning at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield.

ClsSFSU in Hayward, California

13 months ago

Did anyone who was accepted into SFSU for fall 2014 get the registration info yet? Thanks in advance

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.