CLS Interview for SFSU

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 250)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

CLSApplicant in San Francisco, California

32 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've found these forums to be of immense help during my prep for applying to CLS programs in California and after 1.5 years of taking pre-req classes my efforts are finally going somewhere. I've been invited to a faculty interview for SFSU CLS program for Fall 2013 and was just wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of questions they will be asking, the format of the interview, what to expect, and anything that would be useful to know.

If it helps, I have my degree from a UC in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and currently working as a research assistant at UCSF in Microbiology. I was able to bump my GPA up from a 3.32 to a 3.6 from taking the pre-requisite classes. Is there anything in my background that I should put emphasis on?

Thanks a bunch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ca in Oakland, California

32 months ago

U will get in

CLSApplicant in San Francisco, California said: Hi everyone,

I've found these forums to be of immense help during my prep for applying to CLS programs in California and after 1.5 years of taking pre-req classes my efforts are finally going somewhere. I've been invited to a faculty interview for SFSU CLS program for Fall 2013 and was just wondering if anyone out there knows what kind of questions they will be asking, the format of the interview, what to expect, and anything that would be useful to know.

If it helps, I have my degree from a UC in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and currently working as a research assistant at UCSF in Microbiology. I was able to bump my GPA up from a 3.32 to a 3.6 from taking the pre-requisite classes. Is there anything in my background that I should put emphasis on?

Thanks a bunch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLS Hopeful in Napa, California

32 months ago

I'm curious to know what kind of questions will be asked as well. I was invited to an interview as well. (And good luck ^^!) My GPA isn't as strong, so I'm looking to do well on the interview. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

CLS Hopeful in Napa, California said: I'm curious to know what kind of questions will be asked as well. I was invited to an interview as well. (And good luck ^^!) My GPA isn't as strong, so I'm looking to do well on the interview. :)

Good luck to you too CLS Hopeful!! We might see each other then, I'm in the Thursday session. On a side note, I was just in Napa this weekend for the Napa Valley Wine Train, I wish I had the pleasure to be so close to breath-taking vineyards and delicious wines!

32 months ago

CLS Hopeful in Napa, California said: I'm curious to know what kind of questions will be asked as well. I was invited to an interview as well. (And good luck ^^!) My GPA isn't as strong, so I'm looking to do well on the interview. :)

Thank you for your reassuring thoughts :), I appreciate it. I hope it will be true too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS Hopeful in Napa, California

32 months ago

Have you heard anything back yet from SFSU? I was in the Wednesday session and there were about 15 - 20 people there. How was Thursday?

32 months ago

I haven't heard anything back yet, although I was told that they would be making decisions this week. It was the same numbers for Thursday so perhaps we will all get in!

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

31 months ago

I wanna apply here for the next year :) Can you guys give advice on the app process or interviewing? Do you know what kind of GPA they look for or if they want lab experience? I'm volunteering in a research lab for a professor but don't have professional work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLSApplicant in San Jose, California

31 months ago

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California said: I wanna apply here for the next year :) Can you guys give advice on the app process or interviewing? Do you know what kind of GPA they look for or if they want lab experience? I'm volunteering in a research lab for a professor but don't have professional work experience.

Just make sure you have a really strong GPA for your last 60 units, 3.3-3.8 will definitely ensure that you get invited to the faculty interview and good grades in the pre-req classes. From what I've heard they look very favorably upon previous lab experience related to the clinical lab; streaking bacteria, PCR, immunoassays, etc. so you are on the right track with volunteering at a research lab. Also, if you are interested in working at a particular hospital, it never hurts to try to get in touch with the CLS Director to see if you can tour their facilities. This will give you a chance to see CLS's in action and for the director to get to know you when it comes time for picking someone to train.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

31 months ago

Yay! Thank you for the help :) I wish I could tour a lab - I'm actually from SoCal and CLS programs are lacking down here. We have Dominguez Hills but that's impossible to get into if you already have a Bachelor's (because they combine the 1 yr internship with their Bachelor's in Clinical Laboratory Science so you are essentially competing against their own students - fat chance) and Loma Linda but that's expensive (60K). I think UCI and UCSD have programs but they take like 2-3 students LOL.

Norcal has SFSU and SJSU though and they both seem like solid programs that take a fair amount of students. I also would love to live in SF for a year :) Did you apply to any other programs?

31 months ago

For this cycle, I only applied to SFSU but if I don't happen to get in then I will try for SJSU and UC Davis. I believe the SJSU program have similar requirements to SFSU but UC Davis accepts their applications earlier and they take 5-10 people per cycle.

Maya in Fremont, California

27 months ago

Does anyone have an idea about "CLS program Interview Molecular Biology" at UCSF San Francisco ?? What kind of Questions they generally asked how long interview goes?? Please Help Me ! Thanks :)

Josh Fremont in San Francisco, California

26 months ago

I have a faculty interview at sfsu in august, and i was wondering if anyone knows what types of questions they are going to ask, or what should i say and not to say
also what are some of the topics for the essay!
thank you

Jade in Hayward, California

26 months ago

Is there anyone who just had the interview at sfsu this year? Mine is tomorrow and i'd like to find out what kind of questions they ask and what's the essay topic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS hopeful (Napa) in Vallejo, California

26 months ago

The faculty interview is really relaxed. They are just trying to get a sense of who you are. They'll ask you basic interview questions. It's nothing to seriously stress over, just be yourself.
I don't remember the essay topic, but it was a general question. It changes everytime, so I've heard. The point of the essay is to make sure your writing style is adequate and that is matches what your personal statement writing style was. Just making sure you wrote both of them and didn't get someone else to write your personal statement.
Good luck to you both, Josh and Jade! Be confident and show it!
I interviewed and went through the whole process in April and I'll be starting in late August!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLStoBE in Menlo Park, California

25 months ago

Hi all, for those who had the interview on July 30th,31st, august 1st I would appreciate it if you let me know if you hear anything from them. I'm waiting anxiously.

thanks

Jade in San Mateo, California

25 months ago

CLS hopeful (Napa) in Vallejo, California said: The faculty interview is really relaxed. They are just trying to get a sense of who you are. They'll ask you basic interview questions. It's nothing to seriously stress over, just be yourself.
I don't remember the essay topic, but it was a general question. It changes everytime, so I've heard. The point of the essay is to make sure your writing style is adequate and that is matches what your personal statement writing style was. Just making sure you wrote both of them and didn't get someone else to write your personal statement.
Good luck to you both, Josh and Jade! Be confident and show it!
I interviewed and went through the whole process in April and I'll be starting in late August!

CLS Hopeful. Do you remember how long it took for them to release the result after the faculty interview? Thanks!

CLS hopeful (Napa) in Vallejo, California

25 months ago

Two weeks

2nd Chance in Oakland, California

25 months ago

CLS hopeful,

Do you know how many students they take each cycle in SFSU?

CLS Hopeful (Napa)

25 months ago

From what they've told me, It varies. It depends on how many hospitals offer internship positions. And that doesn't get determined right away. It seems like they are always trying to get more places to offer internships for CLS trainees. Overall though I think it ranges from 15 to 25 students.

25 months ago

Hi,

I have been invited to panel interview for CLS program at SFSU on october 18th. Those who have been through this process last year or before, could you please give me some insight on how it is going to be!

thank you,

25 months ago

Hi everyone, I am taking some prerequisites for CLS trainee license. I wonder whether General Microbiology offered at Skyline College (community college) would meet the requirement or not.( I couldn't get any response from LFS.) Any trouble for applying with courses taken at a community college? BTW, for those who made into the interview, where do you take your courses? Thanks a lot in advance.

Annette in Half Moon Bay, California

25 months ago

2nd Chance in Oakland, California said: Hi everyone, I am taking some prerequisites for CLS trainee license. I wonder whether General Microbiology offered at Skyline College (community college) would meet the requirement or not.( I couldn't get any response from LFS.) Any trouble for applying with courses taken at a community college? BTW, for those who made into the interview, where do you take your courses? Thanks a lot in advance.

You need to have medical microbiology as prerequisites for CLS. In order to take it you have to finish with general microbiology first. I took my at CSM and took Med Micro, Hematology, Immunology at SJSU.

CLS Hopeful (Napa) in Vallejo, California

25 months ago

I didn't take general micro at all and took medical micro through UC Berkeley extension. The other prereqs - immunology I took at Berkeley extension also and hematology at Weber State Univ online. All are accepted by SFSU. I did get into the program and didn't have any prereq issues. FYI. :)

CLS applicant in San Jose, California

25 months ago

I was wondering if anyone who did the interview process for SFSU around August 1st had heard back from the program regarding their decisions. Thanks!

25 months ago

CLS applicant in San Jose, California said: I was wondering if anyone who did the interview process for SFSU around August 1st had heard back from the program regarding their decisions. Thanks!

Hey CLS applicant in SJ,

I had my interview on august 1st at SFSU and I heard back from them yesterday. My panel interview is on Oct 18th. They are going to send me the list of the hospitals by the end of this month so I can go and visit them.

You haven't heard anything back from them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS applicant in Los Gatos, California

25 months ago

CLStoBE in Menlo Park, California said: Hey CLS applicant in SJ,

I had my interview on august 1st at SFSU and I heard back from them yesterday. My panel interview is on Oct 18th. They are going to send me the list of the hospitals by the end of this month so I can go and visit them.

You haven't heard anything back from them?

I haven't :( Should I worry or do you think they'll spread out giving notifications during this week? Did you hear back from them via email or mail?

cls 2016 in Sunnyvale, California

25 months ago

Hello CLSBE in Menlo park,

Its good to hear that you heard back from SFSU. Congrats!!

I am planning to apply on November to SFSU, I am wondering what was your overall GPA when you applied and what was your grades on the pre-requisities and do you have any lab work experience?

Reply will be really appreciated.

25 months ago

CLS applicant in Los Gatos, California said: I haven't :( Should I worry or do you think they'll spread out giving notifications during this week? Did you hear back from them via email or mail?

They emailed, from the email it looked like they sent the same email to more than one person because the email said "Dear Class 70 applicant"

25 months ago

cls 2016 in Sunnyvale, California said: Hello CLSBE in Menlo park,

Its good to hear that you heard back from SFSU. Congrats!!

I am planning to apply on November to SFSU, I am wondering what was your overall GPA when you applied and what was your grades on the pre-requisities and do you have any lab work experience?

Reply will be really appreciated.

Hey CLS2016 in Sunnyvale,

My GPA was 3.6 and I got A in all the pre-req classes, Yes I'm working in a Laboratory right now and I have been here for 2 and half years.

cls to be in San Jose, California

25 months ago

Good luck to all who are invited to 2nd round of interview. Your chance of getting into the program is very high.. I would say 80-90%. Only advice to give is dress up professionally each time you go to hospitals and at the interview. Ex-SFSU CLS.

25 months ago

CLS Hopeful,
Thanks for your previous reply. I am considering to take the online courses at Weber Univ. for the prerequisites. But I'm quite confused after reading the course description. For Hematology the course description says it for "individuals holding BS/BA degrees in non-medical laboratory science and wish to obtain current education in hematology and hemostasis specific to the modern hospital laboratory"; however the prerequisite says "for medical laboratory personnel". I have a BS but I'm not working in a medical laboratory, and I talked to someone from the dept. and she says the student has to be working in medical laboratory now. So I just wonder whether you can tell me your background, how you enrolled in the class. Thanks a lot.

CLSspring2013 in San Francisco, California

24 months ago

Hey cls to be in Menlo. I was invited to the panel interview in october also. Did you get an email for the information on participating labs? They said they would send it end of August but it's already September. Also, cls to be in San Jose, which hospitals do most people put as their top ranks? I want to ensure that I get a hospital.. it seems as there are alot of applicants invited for the panel int. in october.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Josh Fremont in Fremont, California

24 months ago

CLSspring2013 in San Francisco, California said: Hey cls to be in Menlo. I was invited to the panel interview in october also. Did you get an email for the information on participating labs? They said they would send it end of August but it's already September. Also, cls to be in San Jose, which hospitals do most people put as their top ranks? I want to ensure that I get a hospital.. it seems as there are alot of applicants invited for the panel int. in october.

hey CLSspring2013,
I just got an email for VA medical Center they are having lab tours and we are suppose to pick the day and time that we can go there. however, every time i try to respond to email, it bounces back so don't know what to do.
I haven't heard anything else from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLSspring2013 in San Francisco, California

24 months ago

Hey Josh. Yea I got the VA email on wednesday and responded but I havent heard back from them yet. Just waiting on SFSU's email for the info on the other labs... Do you know how many hospitals we're allowed to tour/rank? How does the ranking system work?

CLSchica in Sacramento, California

24 months ago

I went through SJSU program and am taking my ascp exam Friday. The hospital that is most picked by all students to my knowledge is Stanford but that doesn't matter. What makes your chances better to get in is to RANK ALL SITES. Write every single site down AND visit every single site on the list. The biggest mistake a lot of candidates make, whether it is SJSU or SFSU, is that 1)they only rank 2 or 3 sites and don't care to list any others down and 2) that they didn't take the time to visit every site that is available for the program. Most education coordinators at the sites will not even consider you if you didn't bother visiting their site. So if you limit yourself to begin with and you got lucky to be with a group of people who are just as good as you, most likely you aren't going to get in. This has happened to 3-4 people I know and sure enough the second time they visited and listed all sites, they got in. May not have been their first choice but at least your in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

CLSchica in Sacramento, California said: I went through SJSU program and am taking my ascp exam Friday. The hospital that is most picked by all students to my knowledge is Stanford but that doesn't matter. What makes your chances better to get in is to RANK ALL SITES. Write every single site down AND visit every single site on the list. The biggest mistake a lot of candidates make, whether it is SJSU or SFSU, is that 1)they only rank 2 or 3 sites and don't care to list any others down and 2) that they didn't take the time to visit every site that is available for the program. Most education coordinators at the sites will not even consider you if you didn't bother visiting their site. So if you limit yourself to begin with and you got lucky to be with a group of people who are just as good as you, most likely you aren't going to get in. This has happened to 3-4 people I know and sure enough the second time they visited and listed all sites, they got in. May not have been their first choice but at least your in!

Hi CLSchica in Sacramento,
I got invited for the interview from SJSU in October. Would you mind sharing a little of your experience. For example, how much time they gave you for the essay, what was the topic. How many interviewers. Were they all from the hospitals...etc....Thanks!!!

24 months ago

Hi Annette,

They give you about 15-20 minutes max to write one page based on a question relating to your experience and why you think you would qualify to become a CLS. It is basically a rewrite of your personal statement so that they know you actually wrote your statement. Be consistent and to the point with your essay. They split the interviews into two days and 2 groups on each day, morning and afternoon. So within your group you would have about 12-15 people interviewing. On the interview panel are the education coordinators from every hospital so its just you and 12 interviewers looking at you. Pretty scary, but if you can't handle the interview then you can't handle becoming a CLS. They ask you about 4 general CLS questions (why do you want to be CLS, why did you choose our program, etc) and you better ask them a question back in return.

I would say it is one of the easier interviews of all the programs so I wouldn't sweat over it. Just make sure you go to all the sites you can possibly attend and rank them and make yourself known to the ed coordinators. The more memorable you are the more likely they will pick you.

CLS510 in Menlo Park, California

24 months ago

I have been invited to panel interview at SFSU. they just gave me the list of labs and I need to go and visit them. I'm wondering what kind of questions the lab faculties are going to ask and what should i focus on when I am meeting them.

answers would be much much appreciated!

24 months ago

This varies, some labs like Stanford and Sacramento will actually ask you questions about your experience or why you like their site. Most of the time it is up to you to ask them questions about the type of training they will offer. For example you could ask "will the rotations follow lectures at SJSU?, do you do your own quizzes for the students and if so how often?, etc" So think of some good questions that may you look interested in the lab and dress professionally. Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Hi CLSchica, thank you so much for your input!!!

Agatha in Pinole, California

24 months ago

Hi, I was also invited for an interview on October 17. I was wondering what were some of the questions they asked during the second interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

CLSApplicant in San Francisco, California said: For this cycle, I only applied to SFSU but if I don't happen to get in then I will try for SJSU and UC Davis. I believe the SJSU program have similar requirements to SFSU but UC Davis accepts their applications earlier and they take 5-10 people per cycle.

@CLS Applicant: Did you applied in UC davis CLS program in Oct deadline? I am wodering if you get interview from them please email me at mvishwakarma@gmail.com Thanks

23 months ago

Anyone who got interview call from UC davis for March 2013? I got today kinda confused choosing interview dates between 6th and 19th Nov ! If anyone got same please let me know at my email mvishwakarma@gmail.com. Thanks !

CLStoBE in Los Altos, California

23 months ago

Hi all,

Those who applied to SFSU for Spring of 2013 have you heard anything back from them?

Ralan in San Francisco, California

23 months ago

Yeah, I was accepted into the Spring 2013 Program for SFSU.

23 months ago

Wow! Congratulations Ralan !

23 months ago

Thanks!

cls 2016 in Sunnyvale, California

23 months ago

Congratulations Ralan!
Its nice to hear....
May I know your GPA and your lab experience, may be will help me to apply next year.

23 months ago

My cumulative GPA is under a 2.8 that's why I only applied to SFSU. My last 60 is a 3.1. I have no lab experience, I just graduated. I think they look more on your personality than GPA. Of course lab experience and a higher GPA would help you out. I just went into the second interview with nothing to lose and a hospital picked me.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.