CLS internships in CA in 2013: how many apply, how many positions?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

oiboyz in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

Hi folks! I'm curious about all the different internship programs in California, how many people apply to them, how many are interviewed, and how many eventually accepted. I've heard from various sources that there are more great applicants this year than ever before.

The numbers I've heard are:

Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage had about 60 applicants and picked 15 to interview for 4 spots.
Cottage Health System in Santa Barbara had 91 applicants and picked 30 to interview for 6 spots. Not too many years ago, they would get about 30 applicants for those six spots.

How about Cal State LA? UC Irvine? UC San Diego? Arrowhead Regional Medical Center? UC Davis? Children's Hospital of Central California? And all the programs in Northern California? If you've heard the numbers for any of these, please share. I'd be interested in last year's numbers too.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS potential in San Diego, California

55 months ago

Some 2 year old thread stated about 400 applicants, 30-35 interviews, 5 spots for UCSD.
CSULA CGMBS program had 9 applicants for 8 spots last year.
Not much info...but that's all I got.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

oiboyz in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

Thanks-- that makes me feel much better about getting rejected from UCSD!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California

55 months ago

UC Davis CLS 2013 Fall program had about 114 aaplicants and picked 40 to interview for 8 spots.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 in Northridge, California

55 months ago

UCI takes 8 people, I think they interview 20 or so. Not sure how many applied. I applied to Children's Central, but they didn't have their funding or something and won't be taking students this year. I think they only take one or two students.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

faustina in California

55 months ago

Thanks, folks. I'm glad I didn't try to apply for Children's this year after all. It sounds like all the programs are getting about fifteen applicants for every one spot.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

faustina in California

54 months ago

I've learned that Cal State LA had 160 applicants and will accept 18-22.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

UCIMC had 18 interviewers and they accepted 8

CSULA had 40 interviewers and they accepted 40

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to both programs. I'm going with UCIMC's program, did anyone else get accepted into UCIMC??

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

faustina in California

54 months ago

I didn't get interviewed by UCI, but no wonder-- they probably have a ton of applicants since they're in the LA area. I wonder how many total applied there. UCI's program is all at one hospital, isn't it? That's good that they squeeze in 8 interns every year. Hope you have a great year, UCI-CLS2013!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

Loma Linda University has about 300+ applicants for 20 positions and no interview is required.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

kcatalan in Glendale, California

54 months ago

CLS48, have you applied to LLU or are in the program right now? I am planning to send in my application soon. I am just worried because I didn't do good on the sciences my first year of college but definitely made that up getting A's. I have 4 courses in progress as of now, will that lower my chances? Any advice would help. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 in Northridge, California

54 months ago

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California said: UCIMC had 18 interviewers and they accepted 8

CSULA had 40 interviewers and they accepted 40

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to both programs. I'm going with UCIMC's program, did anyone else get accepted into UCIMC??

I got into UCI! But I am waiting to see if I get inot UC Davis, I think I'd rather go there. I'll let you know

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California said: UCIMC had 18 interviewers and they accepted 8

CSULA had 40 interviewers and they accepted 40

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to both programs. I'm going with UCIMC's program, did anyone else get accepted into UCIMC??

I got accepted to both UCI and UC Davis. I would go with UCI. I would have to look into renting a place near UCI. UCI-CLS2013, Would you choose UCI medical center or the St. Joseph hospital?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 in Northridge, California

54 months ago

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California said: I got accepted to both UCI and UC Davis. I would go with UCI. I would have to look into renting a place near UCI. UCI-CLS2013, Would you choose UCI medical center or the St. Joseph hospital?

If you do decide to go with UCI, would you let me know? I'm an alternate at Davis and I would much rather go there than UCI, but would be perfectly happy with Irvine if I ended up going there

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California said: I got accepted to both UCI and UC Davis. I would go with UCI. I would have to look into renting a place near UCI. UCI-CLS2013, Would you choose UCI medical center or the St. Joseph hospital?

I would choose UCIMC but it really doesn't matter, I'm just happy I'm in.

Let me know if you choose UCI, it would be great to know my classmates (or lab mates) this upcoming year.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

CLS_2013 in Northridge, California said: If you do decide to go with UCI, would you let me know? I'm an alternate at Davis and I would much rather go there than UCI, but would be perfectly happy with Irvine if I ended up going there

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCI CLS. I'm not so sure where to go now after talking to the whole family. Most of the family members strongly suggest choosing UCD because it's much closer.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

My advice is to go to the cheapest place. It doesn't matter what school you go to or where you train at. Once you have your CLS license, that's all that matters to employers. To CLS_2013, I'd recommend going to UC Davis if you can be closer to home.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

CLS48 in California said: My advice is to go to the cheapest place. It doesn't matter what school you go to or where you train at. Once you have your CLS license, that's all that matters to employers. To CLS_2013, I'd recommend going to UC Davis if you can be closer to home.

Thank you CLS48. I chose UC Davis.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

CLS_2013 Sacramento in Sacramento, California said: Thank you CLS48. I chose UC Davis.

Congrats. Some years ago I graduated from Loma Linda. I had a great education, but it was expensive. It took me 4 years to pay off the 60K debt with my per diem job. However, I only applied there. I didn't like the Dominguez hills program because it would have taken longer and there was no guarantee of getting into the internship portion. I don't regret my decision, but to those looking at CLS, I'd recommend the cheaper option if you have the choice.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

fjmcls10 in Lake Forest, California

54 months ago

Hi CLS48,

What kind of loans did you apply for when applying to LLU? How would I get more info for them? What kind of income requirements are there? I am considering applying to LLU myself. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_2013 in California

54 months ago

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California said: I would choose UCIMC but it really doesn't matter, I'm just happy I'm in.

Let me know if you choose UCI, it would be great to know my classmates (or lab mates) this upcoming year.

Hi Uci CLS , I'll be in UCI's program this year too! If you wanna email me an exchange info that would be cool! My email is ninabee77@msn.com, or my Facebook is under Bre McKell

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS_248 in San Jose, California

54 months ago

At San Jose State University (SJSU) for Fall 2013 application cycle, they had ~140 applicants ~40 interviews and 14 spots (9 different sites all over California this time). SJSU does a Spring and Fall cycle and their spots available vary depending on participating sites. I hear it usually tops out around 20 spots.

The interview pool was extremely competitive. Everyone had some sort of experience; whether it was clinical, research, lab assistant, or phlebotomy. If you can get an interview spot, it isn't a question of whether you are qualified or not, but whether you can show the education coordinators and the program director what sets you apart from everybody else; everyone is qualified at this point. There are 4 time blocks scheduled out, so about 10 interviews per block. I was in the last block and overheard someone mentioning that the candidates were so good the first 2 blocks, they could've stopped the interviews there and accepted those first 20. Luckily, I still managed to shine enough in the eyes of the education coordinators and I guess my entire application/interview was strong enough to get me in!

Good luck to you OP in finding out which program you want to apply to.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

fjmcls10 in Lake Forest, California said: Hi CLS48,

What kind of loans did you apply for when applying to LLU? How would I get more info for them? What kind of income requirements are there? I am considering applying to LLU myself. Thanks!

At the time, I received stafford federals loans and the rest private through sallie mae. I'm not sure what they offer now, as I've heard it's getting harder to get private loans.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

fjmcls10 in Lake Forest, California said: Hi CLS48,

What kind of loans did you apply for when applying to LLU? How would I get more info for them? What kind of income requirements are there? I am considering applying to LLU myself. Thanks!

I forgot to mention, if you have any questions about the program, call their office. They will transfer you to an adviser. That's what I did before and an adviser named Kathy who is still there helped me a lot. If you show interest, it will give you an edge into accepting you over applicants they don't know. No interview also so it's easier.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mango in San Luis Obispo, California

53 months ago

I currently have a 2.5 GPA but did well in some pre-reqs such as Med Micro (B) and Hematology (A-) and am currently taking Immunology. I have two years of lab experience/research. I haven't gotten accepted anywhere I have applied to in CA yet but does anyone know anything about re-applications? Do they accept you after they have seen you applied before? Thanks.

Also, did anyone apply to the Children's Hospital in Fresno for the Fall 2013 class? And did anyone apply to Cottage Health in Santa Barbara and hear back from them at all?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mango in San Luis Obispo, California

53 months ago

CLS_2013 in Northridge, California said: UCI takes 8 people, I think they interview 20 or so. Not sure how many applied. I applied to Children 's Central, but they didn't have their funding or something and won't be taking students this year. I think they only take one or two students.

did you apply to children's central for the fall 2013 class?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

faustina in California

53 months ago

Hi mango,

I don't specifically know of anyone who was accepted by a school that had rejected them the year before, but one program director told me that she encourages people to re-apply if they don't get in on the first try.

I heard back from Cottage about a month ago that they've already picked six people for the next class and received their written acceptances. I believe they split up their class so that three will start in September and three the following March. That way, Cottage is better able to hire more of them when they graduate.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maya in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

Hey Folks,
I just got Trainee Licence CGMBS and I also have vailed General Trainee licence (CLS)from LFS. Do anyone knows how to apply Quest and Company? Please let me if you can help me to find some internship my email is mvishwakarma@gmail.com. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

53 months ago

It might be 2 PE classes which I had to take at a different college before I started. Trying to get to know their advisors and asking them what they can do to get accepted will show that you're interested and give you an edge.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Maya in Fremont, California

53 months ago

CLS48 in California said: It might be 2 PE classes which I had to take at a different college before I started. Trying to get to know their advisors and asking them what they can do to get accepted will show that you're interested and give you an edge.

Ok Thanks !

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

EF in Chatsworth, California

52 months ago

Hi UCI-CLS2013

I am also going to UCI this fall! I was accepted to all four programs that I applied to, which are UCI, UCSD, CSULA, and Eisenhower. I ended up picking UCI!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

EF in Chatsworth, California

52 months ago

CLS_2013 in California said: Hi Uci CLS , I'll be in UCI's program this year too! If you wanna email me an exchange info that would be cool! My email is ninabee77@msn.com, or my Facebook is under Bre McKell

Hey! I guess I am another intern at UCI this fall! Great to meet u! find me on facebook Evgeniya Faynova

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

UCI-CLS2013 in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

EF in Chatsworth, California said: Hey! I guess I am another intern at UCI this fall! Great to meet u! find me on facebook Evgeniya Faynova

Hey, congrats on the acceptance. Can't wait to meet you all. My email is Ranouseyan83@gmail.com, I don't have Facebook

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Coconutpolito in Ladera Ranch, California

52 months ago

I'm looking into different programs. Anyone mind sharing what requirements got you into the UCI program (gpa, work exp, etc)? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Huntington Park, California

48 months ago

CLS48?? Blahhh

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mango in San Luis Obispo, California

47 months ago

oiboyz in Los Angeles, California said: Hi folks! I'm curious about all the different internship programs in California, how many people apply to them, how many are interviewed, and how many eventually accepted. I've heard from various sources that there are more great applicants this year than ever before.

The numbers I've heard are:

Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage had about 60 applicants and picked 15 to interview for 4 spots.
Cottage Health System in Santa Barbara had 91 applicants and picked 30 to interview for 6 spots. Not too many years ago, they would get about 30 applicants for those six spots.

How about Cal State LA? UC Irvine? UC San Diego? Arrowhead Regional Medical Center? UC Davis? Children 's Hospital of Central California? And all the programs in Northern California? If you've heard the numbers for any of these, please share. I'd be interested in last year's numbers too.

I've been trying to get a hold of Cottage Health in Santa Barbara. Would you happen to know if they are accepting applicants for 2014?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

h1b in California

47 months ago

mango in San Luis Obispo, California said: I've been trying to get a hold of Cottage Health in Santa Barbara. Would you happen to know if they are accepting applicants for 2014?

Cottage already has students until Spring 2015. Next round of application will be for fall 2015. You will have a better chance of getting into the program if you are already an employee of Cottage (though it is not guranteed) either as lab assistant or lab tech especially if they like how you work.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

John S in San Diego, California

47 months ago

For those of you who have been accepted to a hospital or medical clinic directly that was not associated with a school, do they usually select students only from their own labs?

I ask this because I am thinking that if a lab was offering 1 year MT training programs, many MLTs or other techs in the lab would be wanting to get into the program. It makes sense to select them because they know their work habits and the potential students would already know the lab.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cls2013 in Hacienda Heights, California

47 months ago

John S in San Diego, California said: For those of you who have been accepted to a hospital or medical clinic directly that was not associated with a school, do they usually select students only from their own labs?

I ask this because I am thinking that if a lab was offering 1 year MT training programs, many MLTs or other techs in the lab would be wanting to get into the program. It makes sense to select them because they know their work habits and the potential students would already know the lab.

I am in a hospital not associated with a school and from what I've heard, several of the technicians applie to the program and didn't get in. So I don't know how much their previous experience with the hospital counts.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

faustina in California

47 months ago

John S in San Diego, California said: For those of you who have been accepted to a hospital or medical clinic directly that was not associated with a school, do they usually select students only from their own labs?

I don't think there are that many MLTs in a given lab and a given year who have taken all the prereqs and want to apply, so I doubt that competition from them is a big factor. The hospital program I know didn't accept any of its own technicians this year (I don't know if any even applied.)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

John S in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Interesting. Thanks for the responses.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

VickiBlueberry in San Diego, California

46 months ago

Maya in San Francisco, California said: Hey Folks,
I just got Trainee Licence CGMBS and I also have vailed General Trainee licence (CLS)from LFS. Do anyone knows how to apply Quest and Company? Please let me if you can help me to find some internship my email is mvishwakarma@gmail.com. Thanks!

You can e-mail Quest and ask them. They accept both internal and external candidates.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vivi in San Diego, California

46 months ago

I will apply for all 14 training programs in CA this fall. I'm surprised to know that UCSD had the most applicants compared to other schools while their spots are so limited. Are you sure they had 400 applicants? The counselor at UCSD Career Center Service said that this training program is not as popular as medical or pharmacy schools, and there were not many people applying. I think 400 applicants included the same applicants that apply for other CA CLS training program as well. Usually people don't apply for only one school.

I heard that Quest receive 12 students for Chemistry CLS, 12 for CGMBS, 4 or 6 for Cytology CLS. They train you and pay $17/hr, and you have to work for them 2 years after obtaining the license; otherwise you have to pay them back $26K. I prefer generalist license, but I think I will also apply for Quest. They accept applications in Feb or Mar and will make decision by the end of March or April. You can contact the coordinator at Quest to ask about the training program. HR didn't respond to me last time.
Anyone know how much do Quest pay for newly graduate CLS there???

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

juhcls in Rialto, California

26 months ago

Vivi in San Diego, California said: I will apply for all 14 training programs in CA this fall. I'm surprised to know that UCSD had the most applicants compared to other schools while their spots are so limited. Are you sure they had 400 applicants? The counselor at UCSD Career Center Service said that this training program is not as popular as medical or pharmacy schools, and there were not many people applying. I think 400 applicants included the same applicants that apply for other CA CLS training program as well. Usually people don't apply for only one school.

I heard that Quest receive 12 students for Chemistry CLS, 12 for CGMBS, 4 or 6 for Cytology CLS. They train you and pay $17/ hr , and you have to work for them 2 years after obtaining the license; otherwise you have to pay them back $26K. I prefer generalist license, but I think I will also apply for Quest. They accept applications in Feb or Mar and will make decision by the end of March or April. You can contact the coordinator at Quest to ask about the training program. HR didn't respond to me last time.
Anyone know how much do Quest pay for newly graduate CLS there???

17$/hr as a Molecular CLS??? That seems quite low to me. How valid is this information?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

yep in San Diego, California

26 months ago

juhCLS in Rialto, California said: 17$/hr as a Molecular CLS??? That seems quite low to me. How valid is this information?

I'm wondering if s/he meant that is the pay rate during the training or during the 2 year post-license. If during the training, that's awesome. Some places don't pay you anything. If it's for the 2 years after, that's pitiful.

I know from the HR lady at another molecular company that during the 2 year post-license work period, she was estimating a full blown salary around $30-35/hr.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

GoldenAge in El Monte, California

26 months ago

Quest told me that they pay the newly graduated CLS for about $30/hr.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Armina in Glendale, California

25 months ago

hi everybody
Have you ever known which lab or hospital has internship program?? Iam thinking to take CLS classes at National Universty but the problem that it doesnt offer the internship
What advise you can give me ?? Please email me
arminasako@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.