Do Medical Technologists ever get real vacation time ever? One of the cons I see is we have to work holidaysn

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

biolover95 in Camden, Delaware

19 months ago

One of the cons I see is we have to work a lot of evening shifts, sometimes weekends and we don't have off during the holidays. I don't celebrate Christmas but I'm really religious and I'm going to need to take off during the holiday that pertains to me. I'm a senior in High School thinking about majoring in MT but all the negativity and paycheck insecurities from this forum is pushing me away and the fact we don't get off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Sterling Heights, Michigan

19 months ago

all the jobs posted in my area have that u must work every other weekend and i think 1-2 holidays. thats not bad at all plus you get paid time and a half

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

19 months ago

Biolover....

Where I work you get like 28 days PTO...Thats 4 weeks paid vacation a year, so stop worrying/whining.

Yes, you normally do have to rotate holidays and weekends, and as a new tech you normally do have to work a second shift job. However...You get paid extra money for working on second shift...and some places even pay you extra money for working on weekends also. When you work a holiday you get paid a TON of money...sometimes double pay....How does 50 bucks an hour sound for working a fun and normally slow and easy shift?

If you really want the time off...Thats what your 4 weeks of PTO (paid time off) is for. Most people (like me) will be happy to work your 4th of july, memorial day, labor day, new years eve etc for you and make 50 bucks or more an hour. I could use the extra 400.00 for an easy days work. :)

If 4 weeks of vacation and every other weekend off is not enough for you then maybe you should move to Europe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

AhiTuna in California

19 months ago

If you are adamant about getting every holiday and weekend off, then I suggest you don't become a CLS. There are research jobs that do not require weekend and holiday work, but guess what, there is less job stability. Some departments that have no stat testing involved might be Mon-Fri, no holidays (I was offered a job at Quest in the molecular dept with that schedule), but generally those jobs are harder to get. If you become a CLS, most likely you will have to rotate holidays and weekends. Many people like working weekends because usually there is less workload, and you can get things done during your days off during the week. Many people like working the holidays because as Clinical Intern stated, you get alot of holiday pay. We get paid double time and a half for major holidays (ends up being over $100 an hour) and time and a half for lesser holidays. You might find, once you are out of high school and fending for yourself in the real world, that you want the opportunity to earn extra money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.