Don't waste your time becoming a Medical Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 64)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

. in Dallas, Texas

82 months ago

Ok rus / drew

MLT = scabs

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Standards

82 months ago

Jake C. for how long, they started using them sparingly since 2007, how do you employeers will start using them th save $$ like they do in new york (same cost of living as CA) NY salaries are not even close to California bc they have a choice to use cheap labor.

Since CA has a limited choice standards and wages are high, but for how long?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

Standards said: Jake C. for how long, they started using them sparingly since 2007, how do you employeers will start using them th save $$ like they do in new york (same cost of living as CA) NY salaries are not even close to California bc they have a choice to use cheap labor.

Since CA has a limited choice standards and wages are high, but for how long?

See, I would be more open to your point of view, however Medical Laboratory Technician schools are closing up at a faster rate than Medical technologist schools. New York is one of the states that now requires certifcation to work in. Over time this will have a detrimental effect on obtaining new employees, and as a result pay will be forced up. I do believe that management can and will do things to further simplify and condense the jobs to need less techs working, however the rate of vacancy will exceed their efforts.

One can assume that med techs will be more like pharmacists in the future, while there are "lesser" techs running around helping them load specimens on the analyzers, and making slides for the techs to look at. The tech will still be in charge of releasing results, because you can't trust a biology major to notice a blast. This will also force management to hire the highly trained tech over the kids off the street. If more stress is going to be placed on one person you can't have idiots sitting in the captains seat. I know management concurs. Wages will fly up as organizations are pitted against one another to compete for techs. The vacancy rates will far exceed the new techs coming into the profession. The shortage will be great, as it is projected to be.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

Jake do you think that the solution for the shortage is pay increase? We do not have a board of memebers, our organization is run by pathologist. They created the MLT for the shortage.

The solution is hiring overseas, you hire all these desperate people from these 3rd world countries begging for a H1visa. That is the solution.

Also MLT can work in New York with their ASCP cert. It is up to the employer to say if they are hiring them for a generalist or a specimen processor.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

82 months ago

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois said:
One can assume that med techs will be more like pharmacists in the future, while there are "lesser" techs running around helping them load specimens on the analyzers, and making slides for the techs to look at. The tech will still be in charge of releasing results, because you can't trust a biology major to notice a blast. This will also force management to hire the highly trained tech over the kids off the street.

That's how it is at my reference lab which is pretty large and gets about 15,000 patient requisitions in one day. We have maybe 15 CLSs on the day shift running Hematology, Chemistry, and Immunology or the esoteric testing. We then have about 15 lab assistants who are basically specimen processors that receive, spin our specimens, aliquot and route them to the appropriate department. Then we have about 20 technical lab assistants on the instrument doing maintenance, QC, and taking those specimens and runing them on the instruments.

Then us CLSs just do differentials, release results on the computer in chemistry or hematology, sign the QC and calibrations, troubleshoot, or do manual testing in the esoteric department. My lab assistants do everything for me and I can basically tell them what to do even though I don't really order them around (however some of the older CLSs do). It is very much like a pharmacist to a pharm tech type of relationship in my opinion.

I would say that the hospital setting is much different where the CLSs run the instruments, perform maintenance, and release themselves with no lab assistants really working in the technical area.

It all depends which laboratory setting you work at but one thing is for sure in CA, there are no "Medical Lab technicians" releasing results. That would be ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

MLS Student in Lewisville, Texas

82 months ago

I want to get the F*uck out of texas, there are no standards. I am about to graduate from texas tech, and the hospital I am training at, there is a military trained person working there without certification. There is a Bio Major that has no theory other than plant biology releasing normal results.

I wish I can report them to the board, BUT CLS DOES NOT HAVE A BOARD!! This states sucks.

CLS48 I am thinking of moving these because you are convincing me these MLT (scabs) will not be used there in the future. I just want to make sure they will not use them. I have 20K worth of student debt, I am studying for my ASCP while I am in my clinicals. I realize the cost of living is high, but that fact that you can potentially make 100K is a reality in california, and not in any other part of the country.

I really hope they keep standards high, once they use these cheap labor this profession will go to sh*t like the 49 other states.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

BillY-BoB in West Salem, Ohio

82 months ago

Wow - seems like everyone is drinking the same cool-aid... when I was a young pup - an old old medical technologist with ASCP certification in the 30's told me some stories - when pathologist would argue w each other that 4 yr MT(ASCP)'s could NOT be trusted to perform serum protein electrophoresis... so smell the roses - look at the profession - the technology - the future. The basic issue was defined by MLS in TX... We don't control our national boards - and to be honest CLIA changed the playing field.

Hiding behind a State licensure law won't work. We don't have enough schools or graduates so we are bascially forcing the industry to change. At some point hospital administrators will be be forced to work the state hospital association (power and money) to modify the laws... Does California release better laboratory data than other states. Are the California CAP surveys all 100% - how can you say that MLT's don't do a good job. VA and military hospitals do well - nation wide. GLP/GCP - most of the new technology (Molecular/Genetic/cytokines, etc) used by Pharma are managed/run by non-ASCP techs - some w and some w/o any degree. We (hospital labs) won't see this technology for another 10 years if then...

What can we do - what should we do? hiding behind a State Law won't get the work done. Look at instrument manufacturers - look at POCT technology. We need to understand and embrace what is happeneing - otherwise
WE are not doing our job by preparing the industry for the future - someone else will and we may NOT like the outcome.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

STANDARDS in Lewisville, Texas

82 months ago

This is the reality folks:

Pathology Assistant was on the job training, now requires a masters degree with certification: PA (ASCP)
the wages are close to $80k to start. Very few schools offer the degree.

Physician Assistant was a BS degree now they require a Masters. School is almost as difficult to get in like Med School.

Pharmacy was only a BS degree about 10 years ago.
PT and OT was only a BS degree like 5 years ago.

This is called Degree Inflation to keep standards high and keep wages high.

If there is a lower degree that can do the same job, there is no degree inflation, hence keeping standards low, wages low, thus lack of interest.

ANY JOB CAN TO ON THE JOB TRAINED, my pathology assisant was on the job trained, now my hospital only hires NEW GRADS FROM NACCLS acred schools. Which increased her salary starting to 80K!!

BILLY BOB that is what I am trying to tell you, standards keep people in the field, and keep wages high, its not about who does a good job or not, I am sure the OJT PA does just a good job with someone with a Masters in Pathology Assistant. But these STANDARD DEGREES AND LICENSES keep wages high.

I realize that most the MLTS here are just trying to fight for their associate degree, what you should be doing is bridging to a BS degree online so as a end result hospital will have no choice to hire someone with JUST A ASSOCIATE DEGREE, thus justifying the low salary.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Jackson, Tennessee

82 months ago

gutter trash in Everett, Massachusetts said: Sorry, I don't mean to burst your egalitarian bubble, Angrywolf, but some of us are not going to spend $ 200,000 in the pursuit of elusive advanced degree jobs because some of us simply don't have the tenacity or potential. At this point, I've truely ruined any chances I've had for ever landing a decent paying job so I'll settle for what I can reasonably afford to pursue. This'll mean I'll get no respect , be poor and beautiful women will want less to do for me but that's been the story of my life.

Whatever then fella..shrugs....

I'm not an egalitarian.I consider myself a common sense person.The abuse and low pay in this field is what causes me to speak out and warn young people to avoid it and do something worthwhile with their careers as opposed to wasting them.

That's my opinion, if others disagree then that's fine.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

82 months ago

I don't understand how low wages =low standards. It doesn't have to be that way.

Is this low wages=low standards suppose to be an explantation for why the cost of education goes up every year?

So let me get this straight; If the course of study to become a professional is too easy, there 'll be too many low quality applicants. If the course of study to become a professional is too difficult ,as it is in many parts of the world, there'll be a shallow pool of very expensive "high quality"applicants looking for a job to pay off their ttuition and keep up with the cost of living near a large city~50k to 100k

.If this is how the job market is going to look in the future, people are unintentionally agreeing to high unemployment . They are unintentionally agreeing to smaller economies. They are unintentionally agreeing to a welfare state unless they want all those uncredentialed people to starve to death.

A lot of countries in Europe are already at this point. High wages are the norm there. Every one who has a job is paid extremely well but unemployment is in the double digits and has been for at least twenty years. That is where the high wages= high standards equation will take America.

(I've found it odd that an civil engineers' only motivation for building a building a structure that doesn't collapse in two years is a high wage, as if the threat of imprisonment wasn't enough.)

I'm not expecting anyone here who is a well paid mt to care because what I'm pointing out runs contrary to their self interest.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Fort Worth, Texas

82 months ago

Average the laboratory is just folling the trend of all other ancillary fields in the hospital.

As the poster said before, most of these degrees, pharmacy, physical therapy, OT, was only a BS degree a few years ago.

If there was a pharmacist or physical therapist that can work in the field with only a associate degree, there is no way the pay would be competitive.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bineusa in Naples, Florida

82 months ago

69barracuda in Onalaska, Washington said: Its not worth putting in all the education when two year mlt's are taking all the jobs. The pay is bad and no one respects you. Two year nurses make more. Go to medical school instead. I've been a MT for 17 years and there is no respect. The lab is made up of women who cat fight with each other. Thats why the wages are bad because women get pushed around by administration.

If I take this quote and see what kind of "discussion" developed in just 5 days, I am wondering how the cat fight got on the net. To all of you that weighted in the same anger: I can tell you if you fighting like cats and dogs you will never get the respect. I happen to work in the field for over 20 years and not for the money, but for satisfaction. Everyone can become a RN or such more paying professions and than find out that is not for them. So, who wasted time and money? If you do not like the position MT/MLT/CLS/or whatever we call ourselves than get active at least locally and promote a more positive image of our profession than you show here. It is also important to have passionate people to lead us and my bosses are very supportive and help us gain a better understanding with the whole hospital. If you give up, consider how the future will look like…

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

NukeTech in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

jason called me a pinhead and it hurts in Onalaska, Washington said: You can google Medical Technologist schools. It normally takes 4 years plus a 9 to 12 month internship at a hospital or clinical setting approved by the teaching facility.
Personally I would look into a mlt program which is half the education but pays just a few dollars less per hour. Ultasound or nuclear medicine is a another field to consider.

The nuclear field is dead...don't get another pointless degree!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jake c sucks in Onalaska, Washington

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF in Jackson, Tennessee said: Whatever then fella..shrugs....

I'm not an egalitarian.I consider myself a common sense person.The abuse and low pay in this field is what causes me to speak out and warn young people to avoid it and do something worthwhile with their careers as opposed to wasting them.

That's my opinion, if others disagree then that's fine.

Amen No respect from no one

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Melrose in Rego Park, New York

82 months ago

The problem is, some of us weren't really aware of how the condition of this profession was until were in our senior years...kind of too late to just leave now. Even though I'm only 21 now, there's not much i can do at this point after accumulating all my student loans in this program for 4 years. I do kind of wish I went to PA or pharmacy school.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Perspective in Rochester, New York

82 months ago

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: The problem is, some of us weren't really aware of how the condition of this profession was until were in our senior years...kind of too late to just leave now. Even though I'm only 21 now, there's not much i can do at this point after accumulating all my student loans in this program for 4 years. I do kind of wish I went to PA or pharmacy school.

Pharmacy school is an additional 4 years, and tens of thousands of dollars, on top of your BS. You wouldn't even be able to practice until you were 26.

And if you don't like being a Pharmacist? You've just wasted 5 years of your life, and thousands of dollars.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Melrose in Rego Park, New York

82 months ago

You get actual respect being a pharmacist..and 50% more the salary...4 extra years of schooling really isnt much when your going to be working all your life.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Perspective in Rochester, New York

82 months ago

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: You get actual respect being a pharmacist

Says who? For someone still in college, you sure assume a lot about the world.

What does "respect" even mean? A pat on the back? Bonuses? You picture on an "Employee of the Month" plaque?

Melrose in Rego Park, New York said: and 50% more the salary...4 extra years of schooling really isnt much when your going to be working all your life.

Then why don't you get a PhD? It's only 7 years, doesn't cost you anything, and nobody will tease you for being a professional pill counter.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Tuff in San Jose, California

82 months ago

Really hard to get into a training program in CA if your not a competitive applicant. I tried to get in and take advantage of this field, but my 2.8gpa + 1.5yrs non clinical lab experience wasn't enough. Other folks had 3.4+gpas, some with masters degrees, some with lots of lab experience, and then some with relevant clinical work experience or volunteer work.

I've ran into 3 other people who couldn't get in either. Some are trying to get into MLT programs with hopes of becoming a CLS down the line.

Now its time to chase a field thats fun. I was hoping I could have been a CLS part time in the future, well just have to see.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

82 months ago

Tuff in San Jose, California said: Really hard to get into a training program in CA if your not a competitive applicant. I tried to get in and take advantage of this field, but my 2.8gpa + 1.5yrs non clinical lab experience wasn't enough. Other folks had 3.4+gpas, some with masters degrees, some with lots of lab experience, and then some with relevant clinical work experience or volunteer work.

I've ran into 3 other people who couldn't get in either. Some are trying to get into MLT programs with hopes of becoming a CLS down the line.

Now its time to chase a field thats fun. I was hoping I could have been a CLS part time in the future, well just have to see.

That is unfortunate to hear. CA is really getting too competitive since there aren't that many CLS schools and there are alot more applicants now.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

George in Minnetonka, Minnesota

82 months ago

69barracuda, no one forced you into this career and no one is forcing you to stay. If you think it is so bad please feel free to find another career. With years of laboratory experience you should be able to find something in biotech, pharmaceuticals, research, ect.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

George in Minnetonka, Minnesota said: 69barracuda, no one forced you into this career and no one is forcing you to stay. If you think it is so bad please feel free to find another career. With years of laboratory experience you should be able to find something in biotech, pharmaceuticals, research, ect.

There are massive cutbacks in the phamceutical industry. Check the news wire.

Like I have said if you are older is hard to go back to school when you have debts/bills to pay, children to raise, mortgages etc etc.So It's a waste of time for anyone to make that suggestion.
It's not that easy to find aj ob in this environment.People have posted here who have sent out resumes and applications and not heard anything back.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee said: There are massive cutbacks in the phamceutical industry. Check the news wire.

Like I have said if you are older is hard to go back to school when you have debts/bills to pay, children to raise, mortgages etc etc.So It's a waste of time for anyone to make that suggestion.
It's not that easy to find aj ob in this environment.People have posted here who have sent out resumes and applications and not heard anything back.

Want some tissue?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Perspective in Rochester, New York

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee said: There are massive cutbacks in the phamceutical industry. Check the news wire.

Like I have said if you are older is hard to go back to school when you have debts/bills to pay, children to raise, mortgages etc etc.So It's a waste of time for anyone to make that suggestion.
It's not that easy to find aj ob in this environment.People have posted here who have sent out resumes and applications and not heard anything back.


So, if it wasn't for Medical Laboratory Science, you would be unemployed with all of your pharmaceutical company friends?

Here, have another tissue.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Rego Park, New York

82 months ago

I like this guy

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

George in Hopkins, Minnesota

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF, do you expect every person to be happy in every career? It sounds like 69barracuda picked a career that didn't suit him. It sounds like he is still employed in this difficult economy, count your blessings. It's a bit ridiculous to complain about the career he picked and then scoff at the idea of finding something more to his liking. His debts/bills to pay, children to raise, mortgages etc are all choices that he made. It really sounds like he is mistakenly directing his frustration at a career that suits many people just fine. Sorry but no job will be perfect, I have no problem with him voicing his opinion but the reasons he gave shouldn't have been a huge surprise. Find me that perfect career he dreams of.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

This damn profession is not the see all, and end all of all professions certainly! GRANTED it will assure you a stable job! Sure you might not be able to afford diapers, perhaps you should consider working some overtime. You know overtime is a "dirty" word in most professions!!!!

Those that expect a million bucks, you were not meant to be millionaires. It is a job. ANGRYWOLF, if you do not have the skill to move up or find other aspirations that reward you than I feel sorry for you. Oppurtunity is more vast in this profession than any other profession than I could think of.

There are certanily walls in this profession, and you have knocked into "one" too many of them. Don't be dazed, the time for "attack" is now. If you really think you are gutter trash---please keep posting on this forum, but if you THINK you can move up.... PLEASE DO SO.

You waste all of our time. Same with that 69 guy. Get smart, you are a somebody, the quicker you figure that out, the quicker your road to success....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

Perspective in Rochester, New York said: So, if it wasn't for Medical Laboratory Science, you would be unemployed with all of your pharmaceutical company friends?

Here, have another tissue.

I don't work in the pharmaceutical industry.

I just pointed out there aren't jobs there anymore.

As for tissue, I don't need it friend.When does being realistic rather than foolishly overly optimistic constitute "crying" ?

I see myself as a realist.
If you don't agree that's fine.I won't be losing any sleep over your opinions.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois said: This damn profession is not the see all, and end all of all professions certainly! GRANTED it will assure you a stable job! Sure you might not be able to afford diapers, perhaps you should consider working some overtime. You know overtime is a "dirty" word in most professions!!!!

Those that expect a million bucks, you were not meant to be millionaires. It is a job. ANGRYWOLF, if you do not have the skill to move up or find other aspirations that reward you than I feel sorry for you. Oppurtunity is more vast in this profession than any other profession than I could think of.

There are certanily walls in this profession, and you have knocked into "one" too many of them. Don't be dazed, the time for "attack" is now. If you really think you are gutter trash---please keep posting on this forum, but if you THINK you can move up.... PLEASE DO SO.

You waste all of our time. Same with that 69 guy. Get smart, you are a somebody, the quicker you figure that out, the quicker your road to success....

Yawn...

I'm being realistic.
You're being overly optimistic.

If you disagree that's fine.

As for talent , you give it too much credence.
It's who you know more than what you know that counts.

That's true btw in most professions.

I don't need your pity Or your compassion.

I suggest you worry about your own career friend and not mine.
If you don't like what I write then that's too bad.The words aren't for you anyway.They are for young people who still have an opprotunity to change professions and get into something worthwhile.If you are happy being a med tech that's fine.
By the time you feel differently it may be too late for you to make a change.So my words are not for you friend.

Have a nice day.I hope you still feel the same a few years down the road.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

George in Hopkins, Minnesota said: ANGRYWOLF, do you expect every person to be happy in every career? It sounds like 69barracuda picked a career that didn't suit him. It sounds like he is still employed in this difficult economy, count your blessings. It's a bit ridiculous to complain about the career he picked and then scoff at the idea of finding something more to his liking. His debts/bills to pay, children to raise, mortgages etc are all choices that he made. It really sounds like he is mistakenly directing his frustration at a career that suits many people just fine. Sorry but no job will be perfect, I have no problem with him voicing his opinion but the reasons he gave shouldn't have been a huge surprise. Find me that perfect career he dreams of.

true to an extent....

No career is perfect.

When you're young you may just choose something that doesn't work out.
and now you're trapped in that career.
It's not that easy to change careers especially under this country's current economic circumstances especially if you have obligations.
Anyone who says to the contrary is simply wrong/mistaken.

We don't know all of barracuda's circumstances.
I hope he can find a way to right the ship such as it is and find a better place to work that fulfills he desires and expectations.

But I hesitiate to be judgemental and blame him for his set of circumstances.
Sometimes things just don't work out despite your degree of talent/ability and hard work contrary to what others are claiming here on the board.

I do wish barracuda well and I wish my detractors well although I don't agree with them.

No hard feelings.

smile.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee said: true to an extent....

No career is perfect.

When you're young you may just choose something that doesn't work out.
and now you're trapped in that career.
It's not that easy to change careers especially under this country's current economic circumstances especially if you have obligations.
Anyone who says to the contrary is simply wrong/mistaken.

We don't know all of barracuda's circumstances.
I hope he can find a way to right the ship such as it is and find a better place to work that fulfills he desires and expectations.

But I hesitiate to be judgemental and blame him for his set of circumstances.
Sometimes things just don't work out despite your degree of talent/ability and hard work contrary to what others are claiming here on the board.

I do wish barracuda well and I wish my detractors well although I don't agree with them.

No hard feelings.

smile.

Awww, you mean we are all buddies?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

I respond because I like to see idiots make themselves look more idiotic...

Have a nice day...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee said: I respond because I like to see idiots make themselves look more idiotic...

Have a nice day...

Keep in mind, we are all buddies here!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ANGRYWOLF in Pikeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

Jake C. in Chicago, Illinois said: Awwww, go pop some pills to turn that anger all around, Angrywolf! But before you do admit you lost, because you strike me as a loser.

You pop pills ?

That explains it all then.

smile and have a nice day...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma

82 months ago

PHD's usually get paid terrible. If you are in the highschool or community college setting you are looking at mid 50's even with ten year.

Now if the PHD works at a University or is a lab director in for say Chemistry in a Specialty Lab you make bank.

Pharmacist in EVERY SETTING, make over 50/hour. The best job would be to be a staff or clinical pharmacist so you do not have to stand 8 hour like the retail RPH.

Pharmacist have autonomy, MTs have no autonomy, we are controlled by the pathologist that will never advocate for the lab.

There is great things for the pharmacy career, it is independent like nursing, MDs.

The lab has no voice or standards, hence the shortages b/c noone is interested in making crap pay when you can go get your AS in Nursing and make decent money.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Perspective in Rochester, New York

82 months ago

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma said: PHD's usually get paid terrible. If you are in the highschool or community college setting you are looking at mid 50's even with ten year.

Now if the PHD works at a University or is a lab director in for say Chemistry in a Specialty Lab you make bank.

Pharmacist in EVERY SETTING, make over 50/hour. The best job would be to be a staff or clinical pharmacist so you do not have to stand 8 hour like the retail RPH.

Pharmacist have autonomy, MTs have no autonomy, we are controlled by the pathologist that will never advocate for the lab.

There is great things for the pharmacy career, it is independent like nursing, MDs.

The lab has no voice or standards, hence the shortages b/c noone is interested in making crap pay when you can go get your AS in Nursing and make decent money.

www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-technologist/Pharmacy-vs-Medical-Technology/t240117

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

steph in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

69barracuda in Onalaska, Washington said: Its not worth putting in all the education when two year mlt's are taking all the jobs. The pay is bad and no one respects you. Two year nurses make more. Go to medical school instead. I've been a MT for 17 years and there is no respect. The lab is made up of women who cat fight with each other. Thats why the wages are bad because women get pushed around by administration.

That's an interesting comment because I have worked with quite a few men in my 10 years of experience, and I have never seen one of them take on administration for the lab, MTs outnumber MLTs in my lab, I get paid more than most other scientists with a BS (chemist, microbiologist, etc.), I respect my coworkers and my coworkers respect me, there's a reason LPNs make more (would you want that job? I sure don't), and I have never been in a "cat fight".

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

Todd MLS (ASCP) in Edmond, Oklahoma said: PHD's usually get paid terrible. If you are in the highschool or community college setting you are looking at mid 50's even with ten year.

Now if the PHD works at a University or is a lab director in for say Chemistry in a Specialty Lab you make bank.

Pharmacist in EVERY SETTING, make over 50/hour. The best job would be to be a staff or clinical pharmacist so you do not have to stand 8 hour like the retail RPH.

Pharmacist have autonomy, MTs have no autonomy, we are controlled by the pathologist that will never advocate for the lab.

There is great things for the pharmacy career, it is independent like nursing, MDs.

The lab has no voice or standards, hence the shortages b/c noone is interested in making crap pay when you can go get your AS in Nursing and make decent money.

Have you ever worked in a pharmacy? I started out as a pharm tech before becoming an MT and have worked with a lot of pharmacists who were totally unsatisfied with their jobs. In fact, quite a few of them were looking at moving into different fields. Making more money does not mean you will find satisfaction with your job. Also, it is my opinion that the lab could have a voice, but I have never really seen anyone use it to do anything other than complain. Why do you think a Pathologist should advocate for you? Shouldn't you be an advocate for yourself? What have you done to try and change this profession? No one else is going to change this profession for us.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Todd BS MLS (ASCP) in Lewisville, Texas

81 months ago

Steph the people who adovate for the profession are usually the licensing board memebers. We do not have our own board memebers, we have a agency that are run by pathologist.

If they start graduate DCLS students, I have a feeling these phds will start to create their own board because they can a clinical lab without a pathologist overseeing them.

Also if you look at my previous post I said a staff and clinical pharmacist if MUCH better than a Retail Pharmacist bc a retail pharmacist has to stand up for 8 hours per day.

The pharmacist that complain are usually the retail pharmacists, but if you look into the hospital setting its a much different story

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Nathan in Kenosha, Wisconsin

81 months ago

gutter trash in Everett, Massachusetts said: What industry certified schools (online or physical) offer education to become a medical technologist and how long does it take to become one?

I don't live in a small town. I live near a large city where there are many hospitals. The city is a magnet for educated and skilled labor from the U.S.A and around the world so I would imagine there could be potentially a lot more competition if I wanted to work somewhere local. The medical field is very selective as it i Without revealing the city, what do you think the opportunities would be for me?

Or are the opportunities in rural, midwestern or southern parts of the United States where the pay is twenty percent lower but the prospects are "excellent". Doctors, nurses and pharmacists hav excellent prospect everywhere but does that hold true for other less in demand health occupations.

I did my clinical in Pittsfield, MA at Berkshire Medical Center. Not sure how close that is to you. That is a one year program where they will accept you if you have a biology or chemistry related degree. If you are interested. When I was there I think they said there was only 1 other MT school in the state.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

ryankiel in Caledonia, Michigan

71 months ago

TK82 in Miami, Florida said: Please be weary of the advice you give to others. Ultrasound is completely saturated and the job market for ALL Nuclear Med Techs (experienced and entry level)is bleak and dwindiling as we speak.

For information about MT/CLS/MLS or MLT/CLT schooling visit:

naacls.org >> Progams >> find a program >> Select a State

He's right - Nuclear Medicine is a horrible field to be in. I worked for five years in Atlanta, then left my job to go to seminary. Three years later, I left seminary because I realized that I did not have the calling. Suddenly - ooops! No nuclear medicine technologist jobs in Michigan! There are none in Detroit or Chicago. The nearest one is Kentucky. Realistically I would have to move to California if I wanted to work in Nuclear Medicine again. Either that or wait five years in MI until I can get another full time Nuc Med Tech job - no thank you! I don't want to work with patients anymore and deal with all of that horrible stress, so I am going to spend two years and finish a bachelor's in CLS. That way I will get a job in MI right out of school and do my own thing in the lab and relax and enjoy my work. I go on indeed.com and there are about ten pages of MT jobs in MI - that's my route!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

Yeah some of the people on these forums are completely stupid.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Scottsdale, Arizona

71 months ago

I know people keep saying the pay is horrible, but besides that is the job enjoyable? Does anyone feel like they have fun at work or is it just awful and frustrating everyday? I really want to get into this, but I don't want to be bored out of my mind.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Layton, Utah

71 months ago

Nicole, no one thinks they are paid enough. You need to find something to do that interests you and that you will enjoy. You will never be happy if you base your happiness on the pursuit of money. Be diligent with what you make and you will always have enough. Lab techs like to compare their salaries with nursing, but the reality of it is that if you compare a lab techs pay to other science professionals with a BS degree, lab techs are paid quite well. I have worked in pharmacy, lab, and now work in IT. All of them have been frustrating at times and to tell you the truth it wasn't the work that was frustrating, but the people who chose to be miserable and loved sharing their misery with everyone around them that made it frustrating. One of the advantages of a CLS degree is that you have so many options to move and do something different. Anyone who is bored or stuck in this profession is simply afraid to move on and try something else. Don't let other people decide for you. If that's what you want to do, do it! If you choose the lab, be ready to face some very negative people with big chips on their shoulders. Stand firm in your convictions and don't let them convince you that it is as bad as they think it is!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bailey10 in Phoenix

71 months ago

Thanks Steph for the reply. About 8 years ago after I graduated high school I wanted to be a Dental Hygienist, because I thought it looked fun. So, a few years ago I thought about becoming a nurse. So I went to a community college to talk to an advisor and she told me how long the wait list was. I was shocked. I had no idea how many people actually wanted to do this. I always thought people never wanted to do this, because of the high stress involved. I kept researching and figured out that a lot of people were getting into it for the money. So I decided not to do it, because I didn't want to work around a bunch of people that are only doing it for the money. So now I'm thinking of lab work. I think it seems fun and interesting. A lot of people keep saying there's no respect so that scares me a little bit, but I will need to let that go. I do have a question though. I want to start out as a lab tech and was wondering are there plenty of jobs out there for them? I research for jobs in my area and there's a lot more for Medical Technologist's.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Caledonia, Michigan

71 months ago

Bailey10 in Phoenix said: Thanks Steph for the reply. About 8 years ago after I graduated high school I wanted to be a Dental Hygienist, because I thought it looked fun. So, a few years ago I thought about becoming a nurse. So I went to a community college to talk to an advisor and she told me how long the wait list was. I was shocked. I had no idea how many people actually wanted to do this. I always thought people never wanted to do this, because of the high stress involved. I kept researching and figured out that a lot of people were getting into it for the money. So I decided not to do it, because I didn't want to work around a bunch of people that are only doing it for the money. So now I'm thinking of lab work. I think it seems fun and interesting. A lot of people keep saying there's no respect so that scares me a little bit, but I will need to let that go. I do have a question though. I want to start out as a lab tech and was wondering are there plenty of jobs out there for them? I research for jobs in my area and there's a lot more for Medical Technologist's.

Bailey10, why don't you just go ahead and get your bachelor's in Medical Technology? You will make more money in the long run and be more in demand. Unless you don't have the desire or money to be a MT. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Caledonia, Michigan

71 months ago

Bailey10 in Phoenix said: Thanks Steph for the reply. About 8 years ago after I graduated high school I wanted to be a Dental Hygienist, because I thought it looked fun. So, a few years ago I thought about becoming a nurse. So I went to a community college to talk to an advisor and she told me how long the wait list was. I was shocked. I had no idea how many people actually wanted to do this. I always thought people never wanted to do this, because of the high stress involved. I kept researching and figured out that a lot of people were getting into it for the money. So I decided not to do it, because I didn't want to work around a bunch of people that are only doing it for the money. So now I'm thinking of lab work. I think it seems fun and interesting. A lot of people keep saying there's no respect so that scares me a little bit, but I will need to let that go. I do have a question though. I want to start out as a lab tech and was wondering are there plenty of jobs out there for them? I research for jobs in my area and there's a lot more for Medical Technologist's.

By the way, as regards to the future of the field, it is excellent by every account. Go onto indeed.com and do a search for Medical Technologist jobs. Chances are you will find five or six pages of jobs! Beats the heck out of most other job markets, even nurses probably.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Bailey10 in Phoenix

71 months ago

Ryan in Caledonia, Michigan said: By the way, as regards to the future of the field, it is excellent by every account. Go onto indeed.com and do a search for Medical Technologist jobs. Chances are you will find five or six pages of jobs! Beats the heck out of most other job markets, even nurses probably.

Ryan, I was thinking of being a lab tech first so I could do that part time while I do the Medical Technology program at ASU. Also at Phoenix Community College they actually have a transfer program to ASU. The program at PC is like 15 months and it's online. When I'm done with that I can just apply to ASU. What do lab techs usually do? Do they do almost the same thing as Medical Technologist's?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Layton, Utah

71 months ago

The CLS program where I went was structured so that you had to get your MLT first and then get your MT which is great because you can start working as an MLT while you are finishing your MT. There are always jobs for MLTs and MTs. You may want to check out Weber State University in Ogden, UT. They have online programs. Don't worry about the respect thing. I think most MTs confuse respect with recognition because people don't know what MTs do, but I have seen pharmacists and nurses who have been disrespected. The average person didn't know what I did in the lab and they don't know what I do as a Quality Analsyt either. So what, I know what I do is important. Respect yourself, respect others and you will be respected no matter what you do. In the lab where I worked the MLTs did the exact same jobs that the MTs did, sad but true. I think it may depend on the lab and the complexity of the testing being done. I love the lab and the science behind it. It is very interesting and like I said, there are so many different things you can do if you want a change: transfusion/blood bank, micro, generalist work, complex reference work, point of care, research and development, molecular, I could go on and on. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

71 months ago

TK82 in Miami, Florida said: Please be weary of the advice you give to others. Ultrasound is completely saturated and the job market for ALL Nuclear Med Techs (experienced and entry level)is bleak and dwindiling as we speak.

For information about MT/CLS/MLS or MLT/CLT schooling visit:

naacls.org >> Progams >> find a program >> Select a State

TK82, which careers would you suggest that are still in demand? I come from a liberal arts background and I'm trying to see if maybe I can find something in the health care field because I'd like to learn to perform specific tasks plus have some job stability. However I don't think I'd be able to puncture skin (i.e. draw blood, work with needles), so maybe my options are very limited? I'd appreciate any advice. thank you!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.