During your 90 day training period as a Medical technologist new hire

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

MLS wants to work in Bedford, New Hampshire

9 months ago

Has a Lab Manager/Supervisor ever told you that you are not learning the job fast enough and that others have learned the job much faster than you? And, if you do not increase your learning speed and confidence, you will be out of a job?
How did you handle this? What did you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

9 months ago

MLS wants to work in Bedford, New Hampshire said: Has a Lab Manager/Supervisor ever told you that you are not learning the job fast enough and that others have learned the job much faster than you? And, if you do not increase your learning speed and confidence, you will be out of a job?
How did you handle this? What did you do?

In what areas are you lacking in? Do you require to know the principles of each test? You do not pipette fast enough? Just curious so I can better answer the question. Which area do you work in? Blood bank, etc. etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

It takes me a while to learn the LIS, get organized and work around fast people without getting in their way. I know the principles, I pipette fast, I load the machines fast, I make and stain slides fast. I am careful with resulting diffs on the computer which slows me down. I am trying to get a job as a Generalist. I passed the MLS ASCP last year.

New York Mets in new york, New York

9 months ago

MLS wants to work in Bedford, New Hampshire said: It takes me a while to learn the LIS, get organized and work around fast people without getting in their way. I know the principles, I pipette fast, I load the machines fast, I make and stain slides fast. I am careful with resulting diffs on the computer which slows me down. I am trying to get a job as a Generalist. I passed the MLS ASCP last year.

You might have an unfair supervisor or perhaps one that doesn't like you. All supervisors are human, each with different feelings, opinions and attitude. If you are using black/white screen manual typing LIS(many labs are still using non-GUI(graphical user interface) and resort to DOS style(precursor to Windows). Just make notes of all the command functions and in 3 months you should be use to it. As in getting organized, I think it usually takes almost 3 months to get with the flow. Once you get use to a routine, you will utilize it more efficiently. Think about how you want to setup your routine before you start work(like when driving/public transportation). As for getting into other people's way, maybe they could be getting in your way, but just be polite and in 3 months you will notice 'their' routine and how to mesh yours with theirs. As for now, just don't give up! Good Luck, and remember there is always other jobs out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

New York Mets in new york, New York said: You might have an unfair supervisor or perhaps one that doesn't like you. All supervisors are human, each with different feelings, opinions and attitude. If you are using black/white screen manual typing LIS(many labs are still using non-GUI(graphical user interface) and resort to DOS style(precursor to Windows). Just make notes of all the command functions and in 3 months you should be use to it. As in getting organized, I think it usually takes almost 3 months to get with the flow. Once you get use to a routine, you will utilize it more efficiently. Think about how you want to setup your routine before you start work(like when driving/public transportation). As for getting into other people's way, maybe they could be getting in your way, but just be polite and in 3 months you will notice 'their' routine and how to mesh yours with theirs. As for now, just don't give up! Good Luck, and remember there is always other jobs out there!

Thank you very much for your comments. In previous lab jobs (not hospital), I was told that if the trainee is not doing it right, then the trainer did not train them correctly. When I have trained people, I make certain that they are doing it right and then check their work as they do it. I have never told anyone that they are not learning fast enough etc etc etc after being on the job for 2 weeks. I am very nervous now at work and have asked how I can increase my productivity. I have been given very general answers such as... "work smarter". Very frustrating.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.