Fall 2013 CLS program at SJSU and SFSU: did you get invited for an interview ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 68)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Greg in Hayward, California

17 months ago

Hi guys and girls,
Did you get invited for Fall 2013 CLS program interview ? Are there any rejections ? Please, share your experiences !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Maya in Fremont, California

17 months ago

I got rejection today :( No luck !!All The Best !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Maya in Fremont, California said: I got rejection today :( No luck !!All The Best !

Me too. Was it from SJSU ? How good were your stats ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Maya in Fremont, California

17 months ago

From SJSU :(

17 months ago

Take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. Look for the alternatives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Purple in Union City, California

17 months ago

I got rejected by SJSU too... :( I'm now counting on SFSU. Anyone hear back from SFSU yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

SFSU might be even tougher. As I heard, they have over 300 applications for the Fall Semester. I don't know what is their interview schedule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Los Angeles, California

17 months ago

I got invited for an interview at SJSU! Haven't heard back from SFSU yet though.

17 months ago

What is your statistics? I mean GPA, years of experience, bachelor's major, age, pre-reqs taken and where you took them ? It is very interesting to hear from someone who actually got invited. Why are you interested in the Northern California programs, if you are in the Southern ? Looks like you have a lot of local programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

I graduated from UC Davis with a BS in Biological Sciences and a 3.5 GPA. I interned at a clinical laboratory which probably helped some. I've applied to a good chunk of California's CLS programs, so I'm not particularly picky about living in one area over another; however, San Jose is my hometown so it would be nice if I went to school there.

17 months ago

Thanks! Where did you take the pre-reqs ? At UC Davis ?

17 months ago

Right. Hematology was not offered at UC Davis though, so I took it online through University of North Dakota.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mildred888 in CV, California

17 months ago

I'm interested to know the stats of those who have been accepted and rejected as well. Do share, please.

lovebugs in San Jose, California

17 months ago

For those who got rejected, did you guys completed all the prerequisites?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Taurus in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Yup, I did, all pre-reqs. What about you ?

CLS-SJSU

17 months ago

Hi, I got an interview invitation for SJSU for Fall 2013 and I wanted to share my stats.
~ I graduated from a UC in 2010 with a GPA lower than 2.5 with a degree in chemistry (had too much fun in college and was too immature to consider my future)
~ Been working as a lab analyst for 2.5 years
~ Took all my pre-reqs online except one which I took at SJSU
~ Got excellent recommendation letters from both work and school (i really think this was my biggest boosting factor)
~ Despite my horrible college grade, i got all As in the CLS pre-req so my application overall gpa was 2.86
~ I did not finish all my pre-reqs at application deadline but I am taking that class right now
Good luck to all of you, this process can be very stressful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CLS682 in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Lucky You :)

CLS-SJSU said: Hi, I got an interview invitation for SJSU for Fall 2013 and I wanted to share my stats.
~ I graduated from a UC in 2010 with a GPA lower than 2.5 with a degree in chemistry (had too much fun in college and was too immature to consider my future)
~ Got excellent recommendation letters from both work and school (i really think this was my biggest boosting factor)
~ Despite my horrible college grade, i got all As in the CLS pre-req so my application overall gpa was 2.86
~ I did not finish all my pre-reqs at application deadline but I am taking that class right now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mildred888 in CV, California

17 months ago

CLS-SJSU said: Hi, I got an interview invitation for SJSU for Fall 2013 and I wanted to share my stats.

Your stats gives me hope, thanks for sharing and good luck to you! :)

mromero831 in Los Angeles, California

17 months ago

Diana in Los Angeles, California said: I got invited for an interview at SJSU! Haven't heard back from SFSU yet though.

I got invited for an interview at SJSU too! are you planning on visiting all the clinical sites?

mromero831 in Los Angeles, California

17 months ago

where did you take your pre-reqs? what online school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Taurus in South San Francisco, California

17 months ago

mromero831, what is your stats? When did you get your invitation ?

CLS-SJSU

17 months ago

mromero831 in Los Angeles, California said: where did you take your pre-reqs? what online school?

Hi, my pre-reqs came from UC Berkeley extenstion, UCSC, SJSU (open university), and weber state online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

mromero831 in Los Angeles, California said: I got invited for an interview at SJSU too! are you planning on visiting all the clinical sites?

I'm only planning on visiting four that would be within commuting distance if I lived at home since I wouldn't be able to afford rent and tuition otherwise. What about you?

rmbl in San Jose, California

17 months ago

Just got invited to faculty interview at SFSU. Rejected from SJSU. Any advice for the faculty interview?? This is for fall 13

Taurus in South San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Wow! Did you get your invitation by email? Was it yesterday? What is your stats ?

17 months ago

rmbl in San Jose, California said: Just got invited to faculty interview at SFSU. Rejected from SJSU. Any advice for the faculty interview?? This is for fall 13

I also got invited to an interview by SFSU and rejected by SJSU! This is probably my last chance so I need to do well in the interview. When is your interview going to be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rmbl in Sunnyvale, California

17 months ago

Purple in Union City, California said: I also got invited to an interview by SFSU and rejected by SJSU! This is probably my last chance so I need to do well in the interview. When is your interview going to be?

SFSU was sent by email. My stats aren't that great. BARELY 3.0 in biology at SJSU, so all prereqs taken at SJSU. No lab experience just volunteering. This came as a total surprise actually. I'm trying to get scheduled for Monday but I haven't gotten a confirmation yet. What about you, purple? Have you applied before?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg in South San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Hi Purple, what is your stats ? Do they have only one interview scheduled, or more ?

17 months ago

Are there any rejections from SFSU ?

No1Boomer in La Verne, California

17 months ago

Does anyone know about how many they accept into the program at both SFSU and SJSU each year and about how many applications they get? Someone remarked that SFSU got over 300 applications and was wondering if anyone knew how many SJSU got.

17 months ago

SJSU got 142. So they claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

People who got invited to SJSU, have you completed all the pre-reqs ? If yes, then was it a while ago? Do you know if it is important to complete everything before the application ?

17 months ago

Sorry, I meant SFSU. As much as I know, it is not important for SJSU. People who got invited to SFSU, have you completed all the pre-reqs ? If yes, then was it a while ago? Do you know if it is important to complete everything before the application ?

17 months ago

rmbl in Sunnyvale, California said: SFSU was sent by email. My stats aren't that great. BARELY 3.0 in biology at SJSU, so all prereqs taken at SJSU. No lab experience just volunteering. This came as a total surprise actually. I'm trying to get scheduled for Monday but I haven't gotten a confirmation yet. What about you, purple? Have you applied before?

Hi rmbl, my interview is going to be Monday also. This is my first application to SFSU. I graduated from UC Davis with a 3.3 GPA in biochemistry. Had 2 years of undergrad lab experience and now working as a research associate at a seed company for 1.5 years. As much as I know, it is required to complete all per-reqs before applying to SFSU, SJSU didn't care before but now they are trying to get people do it too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fnmagno in Vallejo, California

16 months ago

got rejected from SJSU automatically without them even looking at my app because i had a class in progress and had to take hematology (only offered in the winter at cal poly san luis obispo). i have a 2.5 gpa (pretty low) but have 3 years of laboratory experience with 2 years being in a research lab in the micro department at my school. pretty upset they didn't even look at it.

OneEyedAce in San Bruno, California

16 months ago

These questions are for anyone interviewing at both SFSU and SJSU:
- Do you know what the major difference is between the coursework at the two CLS programs, aside from SFSU performs the didactic portion in the first 4 months and SJSU performs didactic and clinical portions simultaneously?
-Besides geographical convenience, which program are you more strongly considering and why?

To address other questions:
-I graduated in 2000 from a university in South Carolina with a decent overall GPA, however my science GPA was not stellar-not even a 3.0. I brought up my GPA with the CLS pre-reqs (taken within the last two years) and other coursework to a 3.5. I took Hematology at CSU Sacramento; Biochemistry, Immunology and Med Micro at UC Berkeley Extensions; Clinical Chemistry at College of San Mateo.
-Since my 2000 graduation I've spent this time working in research labs and volunteering and with this real world, hands on experience combined with all A's in my pre-reqs and strong letters of recommendation, I'm certain these helped secure interviews at both SFSU and SJSU. I plan on visiting 6 clinical sites prior to the SJSU interview and while I've been invited back for a second round of interviews at SFSU I have yet to receive their list of clinical sites to visit.
-SJSU has just changed their application process for the next application cycle and like SFSU all pre-reqs MUST be completed at the time of application or you won't even be considered (due to the large number of applications) along with having a at least a 3.0. SJSU received >140 applications and 40 applicants have been invited to interview however I do not know how many of this 40 will accepted to their program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

whisper in California

15 months ago

OneEyedAce in San Bruno, California said: These questions are for anyone interviewing at both SFSU and SJSU:
- Do you know what the major difference is between the coursework at the two CLS programs, aside from SFSU performs the didactic portion in the first 4 months and SJSU performs didactic and clinical portions simultaneously?

I just finished my training a couple of weeks ago from SJSU, and I think that is actually the only big difference. At first I didn't like the idea of having the lectures and the lab rotations not in sync, but I changed my mind about it later. In the beginning it may be tough handling different subjects in school and in the lab, but the plus side is that you will get to see every subject twice. You will see it at school and then later in the lab, or vice-versa. Also, with the schedule at SJSU, you will have at least 6 weeks at the end of your training without classes on Mondays. This means you get one extra day to study or review for the ASCP exam.

By the way, SJSU has taken about 15-20 students each cycle for the past few classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Oakland, California

15 months ago

Did anyone receive a rejection letter from SFSU ? Did anyone get accepted ? What are your stats ? What are you going to do next (I mean, those who got rejected) ?

15 months ago

Just accepted my invitation to SJSU's CLS program! I'm excited. :D

Matt in Oakland, California

15 months ago

Congrats! Have you gotten any other acceptances ? What is your stats ?

15 months ago

No other CLS acceptances. I also applied to graduate school and got into a microbiology PhD program, but decided not to take it.

Matt in San Mateo, California

15 months ago

Thanks, Diana. It is interesting, they claim that the ultimate selection is done by the labs. Do you know what lab has accepted you ? What labs did you visit ?

15 months ago

BTW, you may be right in your rejection of the Microbiology Ph.D. program. It does not seem that there are many jobs nowadays for Microbiology Ph.Ds. But, who knows what is gonna be in a couple of years. According to my wife, who works in a hospital, there are not many openings for the CLS' either, the labs are fully staffed. Who knows how is it going to play.

15 months ago

I looked at Stanford, Kaiser Santa Clara, and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. I received my top choice of Santa Clara Valley, so I'm pretty happy. The decision wasn't easy, since I had always wanted a PhD, but after some deep thinking I realized that I wanted it for the wrong reasons and that I would be happier doing CLS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Oh, Valley Med ? I worked there years ago, big, disorganized, hard to find parking... I don't know about Kaiser and Stanford though. Don't worry about the Ph.D., sounds like a nice title, but I know of at least one Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences who is homeless, and I know of a guy who has a recent Master's in Biochemistry, and he is permanently unemployed. The professional license - this is what counts nowadays. Collect licenses, clinical certifications, would be good to get a Master's, but don't go over it.

15 months ago

BTW, Diana, do you have any suggestions on the letter of intent ? What did you write, in general ?

15 months ago

You worked there? How was it? How was it disorganized? In my letter of intent I talked about how I first found out about CLS, my lab experience in college, and why I thought I would be a good fit for their program. If you are having problems getting started, look for example personal statements online.

15 months ago

I worked there as an RN, on medical-surgical floor. I've seen many hospitals, I've never seen anything messier than this. It is very hard to describe in words. It looked like a place where Santa Clara County dumps all of its undesirables. For example, the whole homeless families of the illegals lived there in the rooms where their sick relatives were kept. I havent's seen anything alike before or after. I don't know much about their lab though. I think it should be very busy. Be very careful with the clinical samples though, because they treat people freshly from foreign countries with the diseases that do not exist here. I remember, one of my patients has the drug-resistant TB that was spreading at that time in Mexico, I also saw people from Asia with coronavirus (SARS), and heard about an African guy who got there with Ebola. Here comes the messy part of the Valley Med: people with the drug-resistant TB and SARS were placed in isolation only on the third (!) day, when the lab determined what they had. For two days, the hospital staff was working with them unprotected. So, be very careful there.

whisper in California

15 months ago

Matt in San Mateo, California said: BTW, you may be right in your rejection of the Microbiology Ph.D. program. It does not seem that there are many jobs nowadays for Microbiology Ph.Ds. But, who knows what is gonna be in a couple of years. According to my wife, who works in a hospital, there are not many openings for the CLS' either, the labs are fully staffed. Who knows how is it going to play.

I don't know if there are a lot of openings for CLS jobs, but there are definitely enough if you are flexible. It depends on what type of work environment you are looking for (reference lab, hospital lab, biotech, etc.) and even which shift you want (day, evenings, nights).

Also, you said something about the final decision being made by the labs for CLS programs. I went to SJSU, and I imagine SFSU must do something similar... it is a matching process. The candidates who are interviewed rank the labs where they are willing to train, in their order of preference. You can rank just one or a few or all of them, and the more labs you rank, the better your chances of being accepted/matched. The labs also let SJSU know which students they are willing to accept, but the labs don't rank the students. It is just a yes/no list. After interviews, SJSU will rank the students based on the application, essay and interview. The student who has the highest rank will be matched to their first choice as long as the lab also accepts them. If the lab doesn't accept that particular applicant, then SJSU goes down the applicant's list and makes a match. If you only rank a few places, and all the spots have already been given to other students, you won't get an offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whisper in California

15 months ago

Diana in Los Angeles, California said: You worked there? How was it? How was it disorganized? In my letter of intent I talked about how I first found out about CLS, my lab experience in college, and why I thought I would be a good fit for their program. If you are having problems getting started, look for example personal statements online.

I trained at Valley, and while I agree with Matt's point of view about disorganization, I also have to say the training was excellent. They let you see and do everything. You will get a lot of hands on experience working as a CLS. The departments make sure that you know what you are doing, and that you can work efficiently at the same pace of a licensed CLS. They also give you lectures on the material, and some of the lectures are actually better than what you will get at SJSU. Also, based on the past few classes, all the students from Valley take the board exam right after the program is over, and everyone passes.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.