Graduated 2 years ago, passed MLS 4 months ago, being turned down for jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

MLSinNY in Niagara Falls, New York

10 months ago

This is hopeless feeling. I failed my ASCP certification exam once, and then finally passed it in February, 4 months ago, and I thought I would be free and the jobs would be limited by my choices. Four months into the job search, tens of tens of job applications sent out, tens of interviews, and no job offers. I applied for many jobs at the VA and most of the interviews I have received have been phone interviews through the VA. I have not been offered a job yet though. I have had three in person interviews and haven't gotten them. I realize it must be me.

My recruiter said that it's probably my not having any laboratory experience since June 2011 when I graduated.

I have no money right now to accept a job in another state and relocate. Has anybody been in this situation before? I feel really discouraged. Almost as discouraged as when I felt like I would never pass the ASCP certification. I just want my first med tech job. It feels like it's there but so unattainable and out of reach.

I plan on volunteering at the local VA hospital and saving money to get the NY license. And also getting a job at any facility doing anything involving the lab to get some experience, phlebotomy, lab assistant. What would be the best approach to get my first MLS job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Melbourne Beach, Florida

10 months ago

MLSinNY in Niagara Falls, New York said: This is hopeless feeling. I failed my ASCP certification exam once, and then finally passed it in February, 4 months ago, and I thought I would be free and the jobs would be limited by my choices. Four months into the job search, tens of tens of job applications sent out, tens of interviews, and no job offers. I applied for many jobs at the VA and most of the interviews I have received have been phone interviews through the VA. I have not been offered a job yet though. I have had three in person interviews and haven't gotten them. I realize it must be me.

My recruiter said that it's probably my not having any laboratory experience since June 2011 when I graduated.

I have no money right now to accept a job in another state and relocate. Has anybody been in this situation before? I feel really discouraged. Almost as discouraged as when I felt like I would never pass the ASCP certification. I just want my first med tech job. It feels like it's there but so unattainable and out of reach.

I plan on volunteering at the local VA hospital and saving money to get the NY license. And also getting a job at any facility doing anything involving the lab to get some experience, phlebotomy, lab assistant. What would be the best approach to get my first MLS job?

Volunteering is a good start. I don't know much about New York's policies but here in Florida, as in California, a one-year training program is required. You might want to find out if that's the case in NY also. If you have enough volunteer experience they might overlook it, but I don't know about that either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Sterling Heights, Michigan

10 months ago

i think you need the ny license dont you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

10 months ago

MLSinNY in Niagara Falls, New York said: This is hopeless feeling. I failed my ASCP certification exam once, and then finally passed it in February, 4 months ago, and I thought I would be free and the jobs would be limited by my choices. Four months into the job search, tens of tens of job applications sent out, tens of interviews, and no job offers. I applied for many jobs at the VA and most of the interviews I have received have been phone interviews through the VA. I have not been offered a job yet though. I have had three in person interviews and haven't gotten them. I realize it must be me.

I plan on volunteering at the local VA hospital and saving money to get the NY license. And also getting a job at any facility doing anything involving the lab to get some experience, phlebotomy, lab assistant . What would be the best approach to get my first MLS job?

Although the Buffalo region VA hospitals have been putting out notices of hiring, the VA hiring process is slow and bureaucratic like almost any government agency It is best to try your options at some private hospitals in the region. State Hospitals in NY are having hiring freezes here and there, but I would try it too. Don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

8 months ago

The VA plainly states on their job listings they want 1 year experience minimum to apply.
Why don't you apply to a non VA job before making sweeping generalizations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.