Have B.S. in microbiology how can i obtain a MLT/ASCP

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mike in Albuquerque, New Mexico

86 months ago

Hello,
I just recently obtained my B.S. in microbiology and have taken a medical microbiology course with lab. In it we performed urinalysis, strep testing, RPR tests, antibotic testing, along with other tests. I am really interested in working in a hospital environment as a medical technologist. What should i do, i really dont want to start all over and take two more years to get my associates. I've seen some job qualifications where they allow you to work and get the necessary job experience to qualify to take the ASCP exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Chocha in Pico Rivera, California

67 months ago

Mandana in Mountain View, California said: I have a BS in micro and I got a job in clinical lab from 3 years ago after one year I got eligable for M(ASCP) rout #2 so I took exam and passed it now i am registered and i never got back to school.

I have a BS degree in Microbiology and have been working in a Microbiology lab for 2 years. Ive talked to my supervisor and she is willing to sign me off. The route I chose was #2. I was wondering what good reviewers are out there? And ASCP website has this test prep to give me a feel of the test, is it similar or much harder? Any good advices?? I don't know anyone who took this route so this is all new to me. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

67 months ago

Chocha in Pico Rivera, California said: I have a BS degree in Microbiology and have been working in a Microbiology lab for 2 years. Ive talked to my supervisor and she is willing to sign me off. The route I chose was #2. I was wondering what good reviewers are out there? And ASCP website has this test prep to give me a feel of the test, is it similar or much harder? Any good advices?? I don't know anyone who took this route so this is all new to me. Thanks.

You might want to contact the state and make sure your training counts for the micro tech license. While you may qualify for the M(ASCP), you may not qualify for the CA state license in micro.

They require 1 year of actually training as a CLS trainee. I know the Quest in San Juan Capistrano has such a program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaron in Alhambra, California

67 months ago

CLS48 in California said: You might want to contact the state and make sure your training counts for the micro tech license. While you may qualify for the M(ASCP), you may not qualify for the CA state license in micro.

They require 1 year of actually training as a CLS trainee. I know the Quest in San Juan Capistrano has such a program.

Absolutely correct ! I'm just such as this similiar case. I'm qualified for the C(ASCP), and not qualified for the CA state license in chemistry unless going to take a 1-year training program in Quest in SJC.

Chocha in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

then why would ASCP offer this category/Route if CA will not recognize it???

CLS48 in California

67 months ago

CA license and ASCP are two different things. There are many MT(ASCP) certified med techs that went to a NAACLS accredited school in another state, but didn't qualify to obtain a CA CLS license since their rotational training wasn't 1 year long.

Likewise, just because you qualify to sit for the M(ASCP) test, doesn't mean CA will qualify your training. To get a CLS license in CA speciality or generalist, you basically need the right education, at least 1 year of CLS training, and pass the ASCP test. That's why it's important to call them up and ask them if your education and training qualify for the Micro CLS license.

Below is a thread I made on how to obtain a CLS license. It might be helpful for you:

www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-technologist/Requirements-get-CA-CLS-license/t202484

CLS48 in California

67 months ago

www.camlt.org/train.html

There is a chart on the above link that describes how to get a limited micro license. The first box says that the applicant must meet the education and training requirements first. Then he or she passes the M(ASCP) exam and then passes the CA laws quiz to get the license. The key is your education and lab training which I believe is a 1 year program.

If CA doesn't recognize your work in a micro department, your best bet is to try the micro CLS program at Quest in san juan capistrano. It's only 1 year and they pay you $11 an hour. The downside is you have to work for them for 2 years after that.

aaron in San Gabriel, California

67 months ago

CLS48 in California said: www.camlt.org/train.html

There is a chart on the above link that describes how to get a limited micro license. The first box says that the applicant must meet the education and training requirements first. Then he or she passes the M(ASCP) exam and then passes the CA laws quiz to get the license. The key is your education and lab training which I believe is a 1 year program.

If CA doesn't recognize your work in a micro department, your best bet is to try the micro CLS program at Quest in san juan capistrano. It's only 1 year and they pay you $11 an hour. The downside is you have to work for them for 2 years after that.

If Quest requires you to work for them 2 yrs after that, is that ok to work at different branch/location of Quest instead of the one of training location?

Well, they did not tell me this kind of commitment or contract like that. I will have to ask them that.

CLS48 in California

67 months ago

aaron in San Gabriel, California said: If Quest requires you to work for them 2 yrs after that, is that ok to work at different branch/location of Quest instead of the one of training location?

Well, they did not tell me this kind of commitment or contract like that. I will have to ask them that.

Yes I know of 2 people that have done that. One went into their micro program and another into molecular biology. The first did her micro there and then now works at Focus in Cypress, CA which was bougt out by Quest. You do have to work for Quest for 2 years but they allow you to work at any Quest so you're not that limited.

MP in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: MCG offers a one-year post-bachelor’s degree program for students who have completed a degree in biology, chemistry, microbiology or related science fields. The graduate receives a certificate or a bachelor of science degree in medical technology, depending on completion of prior course work. This program starts in May. well it in georgia i hope you dont mind traveling.

I have BS and MS in chemistry and I wanT to MT. I can go for post bachelor certicate like CLS and Can I qualify for the MT license route or not. Do you have an idea regarding school in PA and short term cousework that can lead me toward MT license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mira in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I don't have experience working as a MT field. I completed my degree with chemistry background. I did have talk with AMT people and they said If I have experience of six months volunteers I can be qualify for the licence test. Is anyone provide me any info that I can go for volunteers work or paid employee to get just training only. Also If I get AMT licence what's chances to have job in the market. I am already hit hardted by market, don't wanna go for the profession again that makes me unemployed again. I have second option right now to go in the Dental Hygiene that I will know in few days to get in the program but I found that I don't have to go for more schooling again and MT doesn't have that bad pay scale. Please anyone help what is the best for me and How do I get MT Training without experience and what the best place to have it? I live near to philadelphia, PA

yisrayl in Skokie, Illinois

66 months ago

yosen in Miami, Florida said: i have a BS in microbiology since 2003, but i need to know the steps to get my license here in us, i am from Cuba, there is any board for microbiology?, i know something about ASM or ABBM, but seems to be for PhD and masters , if any body know i will appreciate the information. thanks.

wherw did u get BS degree microbiology like the information pls thank u im cuban from chicagoi will let u knw if there is any board for microbiology. my email yisrayl9494@yahoo.com. im looking forward in getting BS microbiology u make look into usmle www.usmle.com org contact them they will be able to tell u. my name is wiilam

UB in Katy, Texas

66 months ago

Yes,it is a perfect program for you. I've an International degree in MT and I registered for this program which enabled me sit for the ASCP exam. I have the certification now and currently working as a MT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

thanks UB! i'm happy to hear from someone who went this route. Did you do this specific program at Texas Tech?If not which program did you do? Thanks again!!

UB in Katy, Texas

66 months ago

It is the CLS Categorical program in UTMB, Galveston.

sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

thanks ub

P987 in Littleton, Colorado

63 months ago

bongis in Katy, Texas said: I have a degree in MLT from my Country and I am certified to work there and have been working since 2001 when I graduated . After moving to the United States in 2007 I have been unable to get a job. I posted my resume on-line and never even got invited for an interview. The few who showed interest said they needed me to have US experience. So at the end I enroled in a one year Microbiology Categorical certificate program offered by UTMB CLS department, which will then enable me to sit for the M(ASCP) or NCA exam. I will finish in May, and hopefully I am told I could be hired even without writing the exam and will have a one year window to sit for and pass the certification exam. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, you said u enrolled in UTMB microbiology categorical certification. By this time i think u might have completed the course, did u took the exam ? how was it, at present i am enrolled in Microbiology categorical CLS program from UTMB starting this august, i want to know , is the program helpful in getting a job, coz i am in the same situation, i did my MT from India and worked for couple of years, presently staying in USA, with no job.Any information will be helpful for me. Thanks.

genlvov in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Hi,
Can sombody help me and explain what to do exactly. I am medical technologist from Israel with B.Sc. in biology and chemistry and 1 year of experience in andrology and biochemistry. Now I am leaving in the US on temporal h4 visa. I want to became generalist. I understood, that I need to get MT(ASCP). What should I do?????

Tim S. in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

genlvov in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts said: Hi,
Can sombody help me and explain what to do exactly. I am medical technologist from Israel with B.Sc. in biology and chemistry and 1 year of experience in andrology and biochemistry. Now I am leaving in the US on temporal h4 visa. I want to became generalist. I understood, that I need to get MT(ASCP). What should I do?????

goto college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wren in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

Hi, I am planning on starting the certificate program in Galveston from next month. I live in Katy too. Can you please tell me if there is any public transportation to Galveston? Where do you work now? The ASCP eligibility criteria says that a 6month full time experience under a certified pathologist can be substituted for the certificate program. Do you know if there are any openings where I can get this experience?Thanks.

bongis in Katy, Texas said: I have a degree in MLT from my Country and I am certified to work there and have been working since 2001 when I graduated . After moving to the United States in 2007 I have been unable to get a job. I posted my resume on-line and never even got invited for an interview. The few who showed interest said they needed me to have US experience. So at the end I enroled in a one year Microbiology Categorical certificate program offered by UTMB CLS department, which will then enable me to sit for the M(ASCP) or NCA exam. I will finish in May, and hopefully I am told I could be hired even without writing the exam and will have a one year window to sit for and pass the certification exam. Hope this helps.

63 months ago

Ok since people are not getting the point:

Most states, even where regulation is lax:

1. You need a college degree in science
2. Experience is preferred in the USA, and not in Saudi, India, Korea, or the Phillipines.
3. Broken english does not help matters
4. Ability to write coherently does.
5. You must be a quick learner.

Even if you have a college degree in science, speak fluently, write well, and are a quick learner---ODDS ARE STILL AGAINST YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE USA EXPERIENCE. Think about it, why would any manager hire and take a risk on somebody who is untested? Plus it's a lot harder to verify job credentials in a foreign country. If you don't have job experience you need to get some sort of ASCP certification. This will greatly increase your chance at finding a job. Some employers will take AMT, and you might just get lucky on finding a job with that certification, but if you want a guaranteed job you will have to pass ASCP-MLS or ASCPi. If you aren't eligible for ASCP/AMT, I would reccomend you go back to school immediately or go back to Macedonia. Your chances are VERY, VERY slim of getting a job if you don't have the experience/certification. You better have some friends up high, and even the management structure has changed in this field in the last twenty years so less qualified workers are being "better" screened out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

genlvov in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

63 months ago

What do you mean? College with 4 year of study?

63 months ago

It's your best bet. I know an India guy still looking for a job, and he networked well in a situation similar to yours. Best bet is to go back and get a CLS degree from a NAACLS college. Since you already have a degree, you might qualify for a 1/2 year program, but you need to get in contact with the college administrators for that. They can help you more.

UB in Katy, Texas

63 months ago

Tim S. in Chicago, Illinois said: Ok since people are not getting the point:

Most states, even where regulation is lax:

1. You need a college degree in science
2. Experience is preferred in the USA, and not in Saudi, India, Korea, or the Phillipines.
3. Broken english does not help matters
4. Ability to write coherently does.
5. You must be a quick learner.

Even if you have a college degree in science, speak fluently, write well, and are a quick learner---ODDS ARE STILL AGAINST YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE USA EXPERIENCE. Think about it, why would any manager hire and take a risk on somebody who is untested? Plus it's a lot harder to verify job credentials in a foreign country. If you don't have job experience you need to get some sort of ASCP certification. This will greatly increase your chance at finding a job. Some employers will take AMT, and you might just get lucky on finding a job with that certification, but if you want a guaranteed job you will have to pass ASCP-MLS or ASCPi. If you aren't eligible for ASCP/AMT, I would reccomend you go back to school immediately or go back to Macedonia. Your chances are VERY, VERY slim of getting a job if you don't have the experience/certification. You better have some friends up high, and even the management structure has changed in this field in the last twenty years so less qualified workers are being "better" screened out.

Tim S,

Do you need to respond if you have nothing positive to offer! Your likes should "jump in the river". Anyway, Genlvoy you can enroll for a one year certificate program in any Medical college that offers this program. This will make you eligible to write the ASCP exams and if successful your chances of getting a job are better. Good luck.

bongis in Katy, Texas

63 months ago

P987 in Littleton, Colorado said: Hi,

I am new to this forum, you said u enrolled in UTMB microbiology categorical certification. By this time i think u might have completed the course, did u took the exam ? how was it, at present i am enrolled in Microbiology categorical CLS program from UTMB starting this august, i want to know , is the program helpful in getting a job, coz i am in the same situation, i did my MT from India and worked for couple of years, presently staying in USA, with no job.Any information will be helpful for me. Thanks.

Yes, the program was helpful and I was successful in the ASCP exams, and currently working as a MT.

bongis in Katy, Texas

63 months ago

wren in Houston, Texas said: Hi, I am planning on starting the certificate program in Galveston from next month. I live in Katy too. Can you please tell me if there is any public transportation to Galveston? Where do you work now? The ASCP eligibility criteria says that a 6month full time experience under a certified pathologist can be substituted for the certificate program. Do you know if there are any openings where I can get this experience?Thanks.

Tough commute, just hanging in there! About a year and six months now and still searching for something closer. Public transportation? unlikely. You can investigate Katy-Houston-Galveston bus route if in existence-journey might take forever. Try NuRide to pool ride-this is also quite challenging.

jbpatel in Aston, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

i want to know how to be registered medical lab technician.i do have certification from AMT.HOW DO I GET MY STATE LICENSE IN PA.

Noling in Toronto, Ontario

53 months ago

What other careers require the same education and training needed for a microbiologist?
Say for example,I decided to study microbiology and was then not satisfied with the job, what other jobs could I turn to?
Help, please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hpylori3119 in Puerto Rico

51 months ago

Greetings,

In August 2011 I'll start the Ph.D. degree in medical microbiology, after Im done I would like to have one foot in academia and the other within government, probably military, CDC or health department. I know that I need to get the license for D(ABMM)-two year post-doc and then license, but should I get the M(ASCP) as well??

Thank you for your time,
Ramon Gomez Moreno, B.S.

Michael in El Cajon, California

49 months ago

I have a bachelor of science major in chemistry and biochemistry from a foreign country outside the USA and I want to get the CLS License to start work in a lab
I read the state website but I was so confused with proceduers and I do not know where to start exactly, What I understood is to take ascp exam and do evaluation through aacaro office and get one year training. but do I still need to study more I already studied a lot of biology courses and chemistry courses . if any person from a foreign coutry went through this cls license let me know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mls in Bradford, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Michael in El Cajon, California said: I have a bachelor of science major in chemistry and biochemistry from a foreign country outside the USA and I want to get the CLS License to start work in a lab
I read the state website but I was so confused with proceduers and I do not know where to start exactly, What I understood is to take ascp exam and do evaluation through aacaro office and get one year training. but do I still need to study more I already studied a lot of biology courses and chemistry courses . if any person from a foreign coutry went through this cls license let me know?

I think that for people that didnt go to medical technology school obviously
Didnt do the one year clinical rotation. So i would imagine that you only have
do the clinical rotation take the ascp or aab if you pass you are set to go

sri in Irving, Texas

48 months ago

Hi all,
i am from India and was postgraduated in medical biochemistry thats long back almost 10 years.Now I am worried about certification ASCP(MT) as its been very since I completed my masters.I happened to see associate program in MLT in Dallas county college and its mentioned that after the program you will be qualified to sit for ASCP. Does it mean I would go for ASCP MLT or can I sit for MT as I am having masters already. Confused.... Appreciate some suggestions.Should I go to MT program inorder to become MT ASCP or would NAACLS MLT program help.
thanks in advance.

Michael in Santee, California

48 months ago

does any one know where to take online medical microbiology course in order to apply for CLS license in california.
I am working and can not attend school now.
thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Toledo, Ohio

47 months ago

Rick Sabastion in Carrollton, Texas said: I AM SO SICK OF ALL THESE OTHER MAJORS WORKING THE IN CLINICAL LAB. THERE IS A DEGREE YOU CAN GET ITS CALLED CLS/MT AND YOU CAN WORK THERE. YOU DONT SEE CHEMISTRY MAJORS WORKING IN PHARMACIES OR TRAINERS DOING PHYSICAL THERAPY. THAT IS WHY OUR FIELD IS UNDERPAID, YOU CAN HAVE ANY SCIENCE DEGREE OR BE MILITARY TRAINED AND WORK IN THE FIELD. THIS FIELD SHOULD BE REGULATED SO YOU CAN ONLY WORK IN THE CLINICAL LAB WITH A CLS/MT DEGREE. I KEEP SAYING THE MORE PAY = MORE INTEREST = NO SHORTAGE. PHARMACIST COMING OUT OF SCHOOL MAKE 100,000 A YEAR, YOU NEVER SEE A SHORTAGE IN THAT FIELD.

Have you ever looked at the course work for most MT programs vs regular biology programs......Identical except coded differently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mls in Bradford, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

jbpatel in Aston, Pennsylvania said: i want to know how to be registered medical lab technician.i do have certification from AMT.HOW DO I GET MY STATE LICENSE IN PA.

There is no license in PA. Im working with people that has biology degree or marine something as long as you have bachelors theyll take you in only you get paid less than someone who is certified

sherli

47 months ago

i have completed my bachelor's in microbiology from india....and i want to know that what should i do to get licence in dat field in canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bill in Duluth, Minnesota

44 months ago

You, sir, are an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bill in Duluth, Minnesota

44 months ago

you, sir, are an idiot

WhiskeySlick in California

44 months ago

lol!

marquina_08 in Amarillo, Texas

43 months ago

I was wondering if I could be an MlT...I have enough schooling to go with route #2 (science classes and all) but I wanted to know if I needed to go thru a Medical technology program to become a mlt(ascp)?

msrnivas in glendale, California

43 months ago

I have masters in bio chemistry
i would like to pursue for medical technology course
the reason iam pursuing is of the pay rate the mak pay for the chemist i found is around $20 for my profile
some suggested me that i can get good paid as a mt
plz guid me how difficult is the course of MT and the certification exam.
is it worth of spending time on it i am confused plese help me
my job as a chemist is very stressful how about the medical technologist stress levels.

bahar in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

hi
im from iran and i just arrivied texas for 1 month.i have BS in Microbiology.so ,with this degree i cant work here.i think if i pass this exam i can work here. what should i do for start? could u plz help me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

Hello,
I have a Bachelor's degree in Microbiology, but I have been working as a Medical Technologist (not certified) for over a year now. I want to take the ASCP certification exam for Molecular Biology (through option #3), but I have been out of school for almost two years. Does anyone know of good textbooks for preparation? The ASCP website has practice exams, but I would like to refresh myself/learn the material before trying the practice exams.

Thanks!
Melissa

Sbaj in Eugene, Oregon

37 months ago

I have recently completed master in microbiology from india. 2012 now i am in oregon, USA. I am freash microbiologist with no experience and licience. I am looking for job over here. People are telling i am over qualified with no experience. Somebody suggesting me to go for Phd. and some are telling me to switched to some other program and start school again. I really don't wann to go back again. Can somebody suggest me what shall i do? And moreover i need some job to survive. What to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

roxy

37 months ago

Dont worry i am having my masters in bio-chem from india and bachelors in microbiology,currently i am working in a big pharma companey as a senior chemist,5yrs Before i was same in ur shoes and thats how people suggested me tooo...what i did was as i have degree and no exp i started to look for jobs in crag list,i was hired by some xyz comp,as a jur microbiologist,pay was just $36K,worked there for few years and had some colegues,looked around,and now i ended up as a chemist...hope this will help u.now i am earning $30/hr.all the best in ur job search

Clinmicrosci in Carson, California

35 months ago

I was wondering if u got some response for what book to use in technologist in micro ascp exam?

Thanks!

35 months ago

samia in Bronx, New York said: Hi, can u plz guide me the books for M(ASCP) exam, I have to give it soon

I was wondering if u got some response for what book to use in technologist in micro ascp exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Clinmicrosci in Carson, California said: I was wondering if u got some response for what book to use in technologist in micro ascp exam?

35 months ago

Michael in Santee, California said: does any one know where to take online medical microbiology course in order to apply for CLS license in california.
I am working and can not attend school now.
thanx

Check weber university or university of carolina

ad in San Jose, California

31 months ago

Mandana in Mountain View, California said: I have a BS in micro and I got a job in clinical lab from 3 years ago after one year I got eligable for M(ASCP) rout #2 so I took exam and passed it now i am registered and i never got back to school.

If you don't have ASCP licence how can you get job in a clinical lab, i am in the similar situation. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.