Have B.S. in microbiology how can i obtain a MLT/ASCP

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 83)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mike in Albuquerque, New Mexico

79 months ago

Hello,
I just recently obtained my B.S. in microbiology and have taken a medical microbiology course with lab. In it we performed urinalysis, strep testing, RPR tests, antibotic testing, along with other tests. I am really interested in working in a hospital environment as a medical technologist. What should i do, i really dont want to start all over and take two more years to get my associates. I've seen some job qualifications where they allow you to work and get the necessary job experience to qualify to take the ASCP exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

joy in Ocala, Florida

79 months ago

You may need a year of training FL to qualify for a license as Medical Technologist. Not sure in NM. Call the state Clinical board or its equivalence in Santa Fe and inquire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

erin in Seattle, Washington

77 months ago

Hey Mike. I'm in the exact same situation as you are. I graduated with BS in micro in 2006, and have been working as a technician ever since. The job doesn't really satisfy me, b/c I know I can do much better. There are places where they train you on benches if they see fit (at least here in Seattle), but I think it's a harder route to go. I don't think you need to "start over" like you said, plus I personally think going back to school for the program is really worth it, at least I think the actual courses and the professors are the best resources to learn from.
I recently got accepted to UW's med tech program, so I'll be going back to school soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

James

74 months ago

Andrea in Tampa, Florida said: TO Mike: Look at the NAACLS website, www.naacls.org , you can search for certified internships in your area and find contact info to apply. You will probably have to do a year long internship then you can take the ASCP exam to be certified.

In reply to the nasty response about other majors in the field....a science degree is the backbone of the clinical lab training, and with a year internship the same education, if not more, is obtained. You can't just get a license with a Biology degree, you need an intense internship which will then equal a MT degree.

A science degree is the backbone of ALL allied health fields, but u do not see them do a internship to get their degree for the profession. If people have the prereq u must start from scratch in the professional phase and do a total of 2 years, last year rotations. Then get ur mt/cls degree and be able to sit for ur ascp or nca. Doesnt matter which one bc they are in the process of merging. We have a shortage bc we are underpaid. If u pay well there will never be a shortage. The profession has to be regulated so not anyone with any degree can work in the clinical lab. Like pharmacy there is interest bc u get paid wel. If there was low pay therewould be a shortage of pharmacists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ester in Bothell, Washington

72 months ago

Are you in UW's MT program erin? Any info on it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Newark, California

71 months ago

Rick Sabastion in Carrollton, Texas said: I AM SO SICK OF ALL THESE OTHER MAJORS WORKING THE IN CLINICAL LAB. THERE IS A DEGREE YOU CAN GET ITS CALLED CLS/MT AND YOU CAN WORK THERE. YOU DONT SEE CHEMISTRY MAJORS WORKING IN PHARMACIES OR TRAINERS DOING PHYSICAL THERAPY. THAT IS WHY OUR FIELD IS UNDERPAID, YOU CAN HAVE ANY SCIENCE DEGREE OR BE MILITARY TRAINED AND WORK IN THE FIELD. THIS FIELD SHOULD BE REGULATED SO YOU CAN ONLY WORK IN THE CLINICAL LAB WITH A CLS/MT DEGREE. I KEEP SAYING THE MORE PAY = MORE INTEREST = NO SHORTAGE. PHARMACIST COMING OUT OF SCHOOL MAKE 100,000 A YEAR, YOU NEVER SEE A SHORTAGE IN THAT FIELD.

you're an idiot. i DO see other science majors working in pharmacies.. after of course, 3-4years of pharmacy school. just as any other science major needs one year of internship through a cls/mt training program. think before you start talking all this mumble jumble.

and the reason for cls/mt's being underpaid is because supposedly mlt's do the same work; whereas in california, mlt's aren't allowed to verify results. that's why cls/mt's in california get paid more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Terry

71 months ago

Rachel in Newark, California said: you're an idiot. i DO see other science majors working in pharmacies.. after of course, 3-4years of pharmacy school. just as any other science major needs one year of internship through a cls/mt training program. think before you start talking all this mumble jumble.

and the reason for cls/mt's being underpaid is because supposedly mlt's do the same work; whereas in california, mlt's aren't allowed to verify results. that's why cls/mt's in california get paid more.

I think he is talking about mt's working in the field without a mt degree, some hospitals if they are desperate will train biology majors for deprtments like chemistry and hematology and require them to take and pass the ascp for that field. Other fields need a specific degree to work in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Newark, California

71 months ago

Terry said: I think he is talking about mt's working in the field without a mt degree, some hospitals if they are desperate will train biology majors for deprtments like chemistry and hematology and require them to take and pass the ascp for that field. Other fields need a specific degree to work in the field.

well not all colleges offer a bachelors in cls/mt.

and fyi. i can go to pharmacy school now and become a pharmacist with my bio major.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry

71 months ago

Rachel in Newark, California said: well not all colleges offer a bachelors in cls/mt.

and fyi. i can go to pharmacy school now and become a pharmacist with my bio major.

Well that us what I am trying to say, u need a pharmacy degree to be a pharmacist, but some hospitals if they are desperate enough do not require a mt degree, just a science degree in some hospitals and they will train u, but has to pass the deparatments ascp after a set time frame.

71 months ago

Hey Ester in Bothell,

sorry I didnt get back to you sooner...haven't check this post in a while...Well Im already in the med tech program, right now taking hematology. next year will be rotations...interested?? its a pretty good program, should apply....

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

71 months ago

erin in Seattle, Washington said: Hey Mike. I'm in the exact same situation as you are. I graduated with BS in micro in 2006, and have been working as a technician ever since. The job doesn't really satisfy me, b/c I know I can do much better. There are places where they train you on benches if they see fit (at least here in Seattle), but I think it's a harder route to go. I don't think you need to "start over" like you said, plus I personally think going back to school for the program is really worth it, at least I think the actual courses and the professors are the best resources to learn from.
I recently got accepted to UW's med tech program, so I'll be going back to school soon.

MCG offers a one-year post-bachelor’s degree program for students who have completed a degree in biology, chemistry, microbiology or related science fields. The graduate receives a certificate or a bachelor of science degree in medical technology, depending on completion of prior course work. This program starts in May. well it in georgia i hope you dont mind traveling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

turkin1985 in Tunis, Tunisia

71 months ago

for more information about medical encyclopedia visit website
medicine-encyclopedia.blogspot.com/

karen in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

I want to take ASCP exam. But I'm not currently working is that possible?
If yu know pls reply..thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

petra1 in santa fe, New Mexico

71 months ago

Hi! Everyone

I have B.S.Degree in Agricultural Economics ( GPA 2.02) and now I would like to become MLTs or MT. I just wondering that do I need to start with MLTs first or there is another option for me. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angrywolf in Nashville, Tennessee

70 months ago

petra1 in santa fe, New Mexico said: Hi! Everyone

I have B.S.Degree in Agricultural Economics ( GPA 2.02) and now I would like to become MLTs or MT. I just wondering that do I need to start with MLTs first or there is another option for me. Thank you.

well your gpa isn't very good.Not a knock just a fact...
You probably would have to start over in a med tech/technician program but with your gpa it's problematic that you would be accepted.

bongis in Katy, Texas

70 months ago

Mandana in Mountain View, California said: I have a BS in micro and I got a job in clinical lab from 3 years ago after one year I got eligable for M(ASCP) rout #2 so I took exam and passed it now i am registered and i never got back to school.

I have a degree in MLT from my Country and I am certified to work there and have been working since 2001 when I graduated . After moving to the United States in 2007 I have been unable to get a job. I posted my resume on-line and never even got invited for an interview. The few who showed interest said they needed me to have US experience. So at the end I enroled in a one year Microbiology Categorical certificate program offered by UTMB CLS department, which will then enable me to sit for the M(ASCP) or NCA exam. I will finish in May, and hopefully I am told I could be hired even without writing the exam and will have a one year window to sit for and pass the certification exam. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mridu in New Delhi, India

70 months ago

Hey, I am an Indian citizen. I cleared SM (NRM) Exam by ASM (American Society of Microbiology) in 2005, I am M.D (Microbiology) from India with experience of nearly ten years of working in Microbiology Lab in hospitals of Central Government Health Services of India. Does that make me eligible for M(ASCP) or NCA exam? If not then what shortest possible route should I take to get my eligibility. Hope someone can guide me about the possible way. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Mridu,
You are a MD?? a doctor you mean?? in that case you can do much better than MT...just a thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

aaron in Alhambra, California

69 months ago

Mandana in Mountain View, California said: I have a BS in micro and I got a job in clinical lab from 3 years ago after one year I got eligable for M(ASCP) rout #2 so I took exam and passed it now i am registered and i never got back to school.

Hi, I'm about the same as you, I just got my C(ASCP) rout#2 registered a month ago.
I have been told that in CA, most of the places require CLS license and/&prefer ASCP cert too. Do you know any place can accept ASCP solely for hiring?
Have you heard that ASCP cert can be transferred to CLS CA license as I just been told that? I will verfy that.

biointel14 in Riverside, California

69 months ago

hii Mandana

I have BS in biotechnology and interested to work in clinical lab. How can I get a job in clinical lab . I dont have any prior experience. Will you please help me out.

Thanks

CLS48 in California

69 months ago

Aaron, no one will accept just ASCP. If you get an M(ASCP), you can be licensed by the state to be a clinical microbiology tech, and only work in micro. I am not sure if there is a state license for chemistry so you may want to look into that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thanks CLS48 for your most valuable information to me. I have just submitted application for my clinical chemistry state CLS license to LFS, yes there is in chemistry.
The only thing I think about the procedure of the application to LFS in CA is just additional, we are required to send them transcripts and experience/training letter..etc, those had already been done to the ASCP when applied for an exam. So we had to do the same thing duplicated to both sides.
I don't know if that's the way it is to everyone normally OR it just happened to me only??????
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hiteshri in North Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Could you tell me how does MT programme works in CA? A friend of mine has done her BS in Microbiology and MS in Medical microbiology and medical technology. Both the degrees are from India. She was working in the emergency service AKA 108 service in India as well. Now she is thinking to do the same type of job. and she is not sure how to get certified or what exactly she should do? If you or somebody can help me out with this.... please..

69 months ago

tell your friend to visit ASCP at www.ascp.org/FunctionalNavigation/certification/GetCertified.aspx
for how to be certified.

mary in Orlando, Florida

64 months ago

I already have my MT-generalist certification. Do you know where I can go for a year of training to qualify for a FL license ? How about military training program ? Please help me to meet all requirements for FL licensure. Thank you.

64 months ago

mary in Orlando, Florida said: I already have my MT-generalist certification. Do you know where I can go for a year of training to qualify for a FL license ? How about military training program ? Please help me to meet all requirements for FL licensure. Thank you.

You should contact to a Health Dept of FL for that.

mary in Orlando, Florida

64 months ago

joy in Ocala, Florida said: You may need a year of training FL to qualify for a license as Medical Technologist. Not sure in NM. Call the state Clinical board or its equivalence in Santa Fe and inquire.

Hi, I already have my MT certification. Do you know where I can go to get training to qualify for a license ? The only website that FL state board gave it to me is www.naacls.org but I couldn't find any for a year of training. Please help me. Thank you.

CLS2009 in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

petra1 in santa fe, New Mexico said: Hi! Everyone

I'm hoping your GPA is just a typo, otherwise it will be difficult to become an MLT, let alone an MT. I just finished an MT/CLS program, and the minimum GPA is 2.7--that is the minimum just to have your application considered. The average GPA of my CLS trainee class was 3.4, and my GPA was 3.7. You may have to go back to school to raise your GPA, I know one guy who is trying that now.

CLS2009 in Sacramento, California

63 months ago

Hiteshri in North Chicago, Illinois said: Could you tell me how does MT programme works in CA? A friend of mine has done her BS in Microbiology and MS in Medical microbiology and medical technology. Both the degrees are from India. She was working in the emergency service AKA 108 service in India as well. Now she is thinking to do the same type of job. and she is not sure how to get certified or what exactly she should do? If you or somebody can help me out with this.... please..

You need to contact California Department of Health--Lab Field Services.

www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/pages/default.aspx

Hiteshri in Libertyville, Illinois

63 months ago

Thanks.

Chocha in Pico Rivera, California

60 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Aaron, no one will accept just ASCP. If you get an M(ASCP), you can be licensed by the state to be a clinical microbiology tech, and only work in micro. I am not sure if there is a state license for chemistry so you may want to look into that.

I have a BS degree in Microbiology and have been working in a Microbiology lab for 2 years. Ive talked to my supervisor and she is willing to sign me off. The route I chose was #2. I was wondering what good reviewers are out there? And ASCP website has this test prep to give me a feel of the test, is it similar or much harder? Any good advices?? I don't know anyone who took this route so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Chocha in Pico Rivera, California

60 months ago

I have a BS degree in Microbiology and have been working in a Microbiology lab for 2 years. Ive talked to my supervisor and she is willing to sign me off. The route I chose was #2. I was wondering what good reviewers are out there? And ASCP website has this test prep to give me a feel of the test, is it similar or much harder? Any good advices?? I don't know anyone who took this route so this is all new to me. Thanks.

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

Chocha in Pico Rivera, California said: I have a BS degree in Microbiology and have been working in a Microbiology lab for 2 years. Ive talked to my supervisor and she is willing to sign me off. The route I chose was #2. I was wondering what good reviewers are out there? And ASCP website has this test prep to give me a feel of the test, is it similar or much harder? Any good advices?? I don't know anyone who took this route so this is all new to me. Thanks.

You might want to contact the state and make sure your training counts for the micro tech license. While you may qualify for the M(ASCP), you may not qualify for the CA state license in micro.

They require 1 year of actually training as a CLS trainee. I know the Quest in San Juan Capistrano has such a program.

60 months ago

CLS48 in California said: You might want to contact the state and make sure your training counts for the micro tech license. While you may qualify for the M(ASCP), you may not qualify for the CA state license in micro.

They require 1 year of actually training as a CLS trainee. I know the Quest in San Juan Capistrano has such a program.

Absolutely correct ! I'm just such as this similiar case. I'm qualified for the C(ASCP), and not qualified for the CA state license in chemistry unless going to take a 1-year training program in Quest in SJC.

Chocha in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

then why would ASCP offer this category/Route if CA will not recognize it???

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

CA license and ASCP are two different things. There are many MT(ASCP) certified med techs that went to a NAACLS accredited school in another state, but didn't qualify to obtain a CA CLS license since their rotational training wasn't 1 year long.

Likewise, just because you qualify to sit for the M(ASCP) test, doesn't mean CA will qualify your training. To get a CLS license in CA speciality or generalist, you basically need the right education, at least 1 year of CLS training, and pass the ASCP test. That's why it's important to call them up and ask them if your education and training qualify for the Micro CLS license.

Below is a thread I made on how to obtain a CLS license. It might be helpful for you:

www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-technologist/Requirements-get-CA-CLS-license/t202484

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

www.camlt.org/train.html

There is a chart on the above link that describes how to get a limited micro license. The first box says that the applicant must meet the education and training requirements first. Then he or she passes the M(ASCP) exam and then passes the CA laws quiz to get the license. The key is your education and lab training which I believe is a 1 year program.

If CA doesn't recognize your work in a micro department, your best bet is to try the micro CLS program at Quest in san juan capistrano. It's only 1 year and they pay you $11 an hour. The downside is you have to work for them for 2 years after that.

aaron in San Gabriel, California

60 months ago

CLS48 in California said: www.camlt.org/train.html

There is a chart on the above link that describes how to get a limited micro license. The first box says that the applicant must meet the education and training requirements first. Then he or she passes the M(ASCP) exam and then passes the CA laws quiz to get the license. The key is your education and lab training which I believe is a 1 year program.

If CA doesn't recognize your work in a micro department, your best bet is to try the micro CLS program at Quest in san juan capistrano. It's only 1 year and they pay you $11 an hour. The downside is you have to work for them for 2 years after that.

If Quest requires you to work for them 2 yrs after that, is that ok to work at different branch/location of Quest instead of the one of training location?

Well, they did not tell me this kind of commitment or contract like that. I will have to ask them that.

CLS48 in California

60 months ago

aaron in San Gabriel, California said: If Quest requires you to work for them 2 yrs after that, is that ok to work at different branch/location of Quest instead of the one of training location?

Well, they did not tell me this kind of commitment or contract like that. I will have to ask them that.

Yes I know of 2 people that have done that. One went into their micro program and another into molecular biology. The first did her micro there and then now works at Focus in Cypress, CA which was bougt out by Quest. You do have to work for Quest for 2 years but they allow you to work at any Quest so you're not that limited.

MP in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: MCG offers a one-year post-bachelor’s degree program for students who have completed a degree in biology, chemistry, microbiology or related science fields. The graduate receives a certificate or a bachelor of science degree in medical technology, depending on completion of prior course work. This program starts in May. well it in georgia i hope you dont mind traveling.

I have BS and MS in chemistry and I wanT to MT. I can go for post bachelor certicate like CLS and Can I qualify for the MT license route or not. Do you have an idea regarding school in PA and short term cousework that can lead me toward MT license

Mira in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I don't have experience working as a MT field. I completed my degree with chemistry background. I did have talk with AMT people and they said If I have experience of six months volunteers I can be qualify for the licence test. Is anyone provide me any info that I can go for volunteers work or paid employee to get just training only. Also If I get AMT licence what's chances to have job in the market. I am already hit hardted by market, don't wanna go for the profession again that makes me unemployed again. I have second option right now to go in the Dental Hygiene that I will know in few days to get in the program but I found that I don't have to go for more schooling again and MT doesn't have that bad pay scale. Please anyone help what is the best for me and How do I get MT Training without experience and what the best place to have it? I live near to philadelphia, PA

yisrayl in Skokie, Illinois

59 months ago

yosen in Miami, Florida said: i have a BS in microbiology since 2003, but i need to know the steps to get my license here in us, i am from Cuba, there is any board for microbiology?, i know something about ASM or ABBM, but seems to be for PhD and masters , if any body know i will appreciate the information. thanks.

wherw did u get BS degree microbiology like the information pls thank u im cuban from chicagoi will let u knw if there is any board for microbiology. my email yisrayl9494@yahoo.com. im looking forward in getting BS microbiology u make look into usmle www.usmle.com org contact them they will be able to tell u. my name is wiilam

UB in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

Yes,it is a perfect program for you. I've an International degree in MT and I registered for this program which enabled me sit for the ASCP exam. I have the certification now and currently working as a MT

sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

thanks UB! i'm happy to hear from someone who went this route. Did you do this specific program at Texas Tech?If not which program did you do? Thanks again!!

UB in Katy, Texas

59 months ago

It is the CLS Categorical program in UTMB, Galveston.

sharon in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

thanks ub

P987 in Littleton, Colorado

55 months ago

bongis in Katy, Texas said: I have a degree in MLT from my Country and I am certified to work there and have been working since 2001 when I graduated . After moving to the United States in 2007 I have been unable to get a job. I posted my resume on-line and never even got invited for an interview. The few who showed interest said they needed me to have US experience. So at the end I enroled in a one year Microbiology Categorical certificate program offered by UTMB CLS department, which will then enable me to sit for the M(ASCP) or NCA exam. I will finish in May, and hopefully I am told I could be hired even without writing the exam and will have a one year window to sit for and pass the certification exam. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am new to this forum, you said u enrolled in UTMB microbiology categorical certification. By this time i think u might have completed the course, did u took the exam ? how was it, at present i am enrolled in Microbiology categorical CLS program from UTMB starting this august, i want to know , is the program helpful in getting a job, coz i am in the same situation, i did my MT from India and worked for couple of years, presently staying in USA, with no job.Any information will be helpful for me. Thanks.

genlvov in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Hi,
Can sombody help me and explain what to do exactly. I am medical technologist from Israel with B.Sc. in biology and chemistry and 1 year of experience in andrology and biochemistry. Now I am leaving in the US on temporal h4 visa. I want to became generalist. I understood, that I need to get MT(ASCP). What should I do?????

Tim S. in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

genlvov in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts said: Hi,
Can sombody help me and explain what to do exactly. I am medical technologist from Israel with B.Sc. in biology and chemistry and 1 year of experience in andrology and biochemistry. Now I am leaving in the US on temporal h4 visa. I want to became generalist. I understood, that I need to get MT(ASCP). What should I do?????

goto college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wren in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Hi, I am planning on starting the certificate program in Galveston from next month. I live in Katy too. Can you please tell me if there is any public transportation to Galveston? Where do you work now? The ASCP eligibility criteria says that a 6month full time experience under a certified pathologist can be substituted for the certificate program. Do you know if there are any openings where I can get this experience?Thanks.

bongis in Katy, Texas said: I have a degree in MLT from my Country and I am certified to work there and have been working since 2001 when I graduated . After moving to the United States in 2007 I have been unable to get a job. I posted my resume on-line and never even got invited for an interview. The few who showed interest said they needed me to have US experience. So at the end I enroled in a one year Microbiology Categorical certificate program offered by UTMB CLS department, which will then enable me to sit for the M(ASCP) or NCA exam. I will finish in May, and hopefully I am told I could be hired even without writing the exam and will have a one year window to sit for and pass the certification exam. Hope this helps.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.