Is it hard to be a Medical Technologist or Medical Tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

angelika22 in New York

57 months ago

What type of tasks do you have to perform at your job,are you treated well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonnnmoyus in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

Angelika22 in New York said: What type of tasks do you have to perform at your job,are you treated well?

Browse the forum, though it lacks a search function, you'll find vast amt. of info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elaina Walker in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Hi Angelika

A medical lab technician examines and analyzes body fluids and cells. They check for the chemical content of fluids, match blood for transfusions, and test for drug levels in the blood that show how a patient is responding to treatment.
For becoming a medical lab technician individuals must complete an associate degree or bachelors degree. There are many good colleges offering online course in medical lab technician. More about the career and job opportunities for this field is mentioned in the following site.
medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-careers-and-jobs/

Later on a medical lab technicians can specialize in one of five different areas: blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, or microbiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

57 months ago

Elaina Walker in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Angelika

A medical lab technician examines and analyzes body fluids and cells. They check for the chemical content of fluids, match blood for transfusions, and test for drug levels in the blood that show how a patient is responding to treatment.
For becoming a medical lab technician individuals must complete an associate degree or bachelors degree. There are many good colleges offering online course in medical lab technician. More about the career and job opportunities for this field is mentioned in the following site.
medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-careers-and-jobs/

Later on a medical lab technicians can specialize in one of five different areas: blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, or microbiology.


Seeing as how you are from CA, MLTs or lab technicians cannot match blood or do blood bank and they cannot do microscopic work so they can't do UA microscopics or differentials in the state of CA. This is a job reserved for medical technologists or the newer name, Clinical lab scientists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MCB in Elk Grove, California

57 months ago

CLS48 in California said: Seeing as how you are from CA, MLTs or lab technicians cannot match blood or do blood bank and they cannot do microscopic work so they can't do UA microscopics or differentials in the state of CA. This is a job reserved for medical technologists or the newer name, Clinical lab scientists.

I have a question for CLS48. I am living in CA , there are some community colleges here offer the program called medical lab technician . Does MLT title still exist in clinical lab ? how come I don't see that title in the job search, only lab assistant needed . What is the different between Medical lab technician and medical lab assistant in CA ? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

57 months ago

MCB in Elk Grove, California said: I have a question for CLS48. I am living in CA , there are some community colleges here offer the program called medical lab technician . Does MLT title still exist in clinical lab ? how come I don't see that title in the job search, only lab assistant needed . What is the different between Medical lab technician and medical lab assistant in CA ? Thank you.

Some MLT programs are not certified by CA. In fact, there are only a few so make sure you go to a certified one so you qualify to get an MLT CA license. MLTs just started in CA in 2008 so there aren't many at all. As you said, if you search job openings there aren't any openings really. An MLT with a CA MLT license can release chem results, probably some hematology results, but cannot do blood bank or microscopic work, so they are limited. As a result, labs still prefer hiring CLSs.

Lab assistants at hospitals are usually certified phlebotomists that draw blood. Some may work doing maintenance on the instruments, helping CLSs out. At reference labs, lab assistants are used a lot for maintenance and QC on instruments, and CLSs supervise them. These lab assistants are usually not certified in anything and could just have a high school education or even a bachelors degree.

In either event, an MLT's supposed salary in CA is in the low to mid 20s an hour. A lab assistant's pay is $14 to $20 an hour. I do know some lab assistants at reference labs that are paid in the low $20s because they have a good technical knowledge and much experience.

I'd recommend against the MLT route in CA. Since they are limited, it makes much more sense to hire a few CLSs and cheap unlicensed lab assistants to help do maintenance on the instrument. I myself would be against hiring an MLT, but in general I see MLTs as a threat to CLS scope of practice and jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.