LabCE question difficulty correlation and adaptive test mode

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

WhiskeySlick in California

23 months ago

As the LabCE subscribers know, in review mode LabCE gives a question difficulty level after every right/wrong answer. I'm wondering if these numbers correlate in any way to the ASCP scoring (ie, accumulation of points based on difficulty in an attempt to score >400). I'm sure the algorithm is different, but the question difficulty level may be a good way to contrast LabCE questions with ASCP.

Secondly, how does the adaptive testing mode compare to the ASCP test? The questions are significantly more challenging than the regular ASCP practice exam.

Comments from experienced LabCE users would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WhiskeySlick in California

23 months ago

Bump...
...for example, once you're finished with the LabCE computer-adaptive mode, it shows your AVERAGE question difficulty. Let's say my average difficulty is around 6, I'm wondering if that roughly represents a 600 (6 x 100 question)score on ASCP?

Dustin in Knoxville, Tennessee

22 months ago

I am curious about this as well.

New York Mets in new york, New York

22 months ago

Unfortunately there is no way to actually measure it, but based on other people's results, if you are able to score 50%+ on the adaptive mode and 70%+ on subject mode, you should have no problem in passing the test. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

medlabtalk in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

21 months ago

It depends on the algorithm that they use on that day. Its always different. For instance you said that for every right answer its will get harder, but that's not the case in ASCP. For every wrong answer it could give you a harder question also. ASCP test is much harder because the questions are related together. You could have a hematology/coagulation question. And sometimes blood bank as apart of it. If you breakdown LabCE questions into groups that might help you for the ASCP.

Hawk in Fresno, California

19 months ago

Hello,

I just passed the ASCP MLS exam and used Labce many times. First, I would say a moderate body of knowledge contained in Labce is contained in the ASCP exam, just stated in a different way. So, labce is definitely helpful. Secondly, as for any correlation between the computer adaptive mode scores and the ASCP exam score, I would say there probably is some correlation. I consistently scored between 58% and 68 %, with a difficulty rating of 7 to 7.3, on the Labce CAT; and my ASCP score was in between these two ranges. I think any correlation that exists is solely based upon a certain body of knowledge that one has. If you have the knowledge to score a certain range and difficulty level on Labce CAT, then you'll most likely score around that range on the ASCP. But, I wouldn't study exclusively from labce. My ASCP exam contained many questions that I would not been able to answer had I relied exclusively on labce. I can tell you this, ignore all of those silly rhyme and story questions that are on labce, nothing like that on the ASCP. I had zero questions that asked me to identify the individual that was responsible for first isolating a certain organism. I honestly think those are ridiculous questions to ask, as it relates to the ASCP exam; and rightly so, ASCP does not include these question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Hello,

continued from above...and as for Micro questions and labce; I had about 20 bacterioogy questions on the ASCP exam and every single one of them were straight forward, like these questions should be. I guess what I am trying to say is to learn bacteriology biochemical differentiating reactions and you will score well in this section. And for this reason I despise the labce bacteriology section. I like all of, or most of the other sections. I used Robert Harr's book to study micro after I had memorized quite a few bacterial charts. The labce bacteriology section asked questions that are annoying and irrelevant at best. I would guess and say about 10-15% percent of the questions in bacT labce are of any use. I can't vouch for labce mycology, parasitology or lab management sections because I had zero questions related to these topics, not a single one.
So, in short, I believe that if you're scoring in the 50 percent range on labce CAT section and actively studying bacteriology from a another source, as well as using a study guides such as Harr, Cuilla, or A bottom Line approach by Patsy Jarreua, you should perform well on the exam.
I watch these forums closely, if you have a question or would like some tips, post and I will reply.
Best of luck to all who will be taking the ASCP MLS exam soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ASDF77 in New York

18 months ago

thanks for these I'm taking the exam in march... I felt so overwhelmed with how much information I had to know! I finished my program in. December and just began to study hardcore the beginning of January. I'm mostly starting from the beginning of hematology/blood bank/Chem/urinalysis textbooks and relying on Polanski & labce &Harr for everything else. I have the BOC but there are so many questions and I found so many errors... Is it really useful or are the questions more like in Harr?

18 months ago

ASDF77 in New York said: thanks for these I'm taking the exam in march... I felt so overwhelmed with how much information I had to know! I finished my program in. December and just began to study hardcore the beginning of January. I'm mostly starting from the beginning of hematology/blood bank/Chem/urinalysis textbooks and relying on Polanski & labce &Harr for everything else. I have the BOC but there are so many questions and I found so many errors... Is it really useful or are the questions more like in Harr?

Hello,

Neither, the books are for review and you can learn from them as well.
The ASCP MLS exam questions are presented to you based upon your own ability. For example, if you can only answer easy rated questions, then you will see mostly one sentence questions....as you began to answer more and more questions right, you'll began to see more difficult questions. The more difficult questions are almost impossible to duplicate because they can rearrange the question and ask in a different way. Simply put, you just have to be able to answer them based on your knowledge, deduction or a combination of both. As for the easy questions, just go through all of the indeed forums related to the ASCP exam and you will see a lot of individuals posted the questions they encountered. Good luck on the exam....oh, and concentrate on learning dosease states and lab values associated with specific diseases.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ASDF77 in New York

18 months ago

Thanks so much for the information! Also quick question, are we allowed to ask for a piece of paper? My teacher said that you could ... and you could write down everything you know beforehand and then start the exam whenever you are ready?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New York Mets in new york, New York

18 months ago

ASDF77 in New York said: Thanks so much for the information! Also quick question, are we allowed to ask for a piece of paper? My teacher said that you could ... and you could write down everything you know beforehand and then start the exam whenever you are ready?

All Pearson VUE centers only allow a 12 by 8 dry eraser board with a eraser and black marker. You can right everything down like formulas if you wish. But remember, the marker is kind of thick and you might need it later for other stuff. I do not remember if they start you on a timer once you sit down, so you might not have to time to jog down formulas. You will get a locker and locker combo where you place everything before you head in. You can not bring anything inside. They will provide you a calculator. Security is very tight, and a camera is trained on every computer station.(people take MCATs here too). The computer screen will notified you PASS or FAIL after you finish the test. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ASDF77 in New York

17 months ago

New York Mets in new york, New York said: All Pearson VUE centers only allow a 12 by 8 dry eraser board with a eraser and black marker. You can right everything down like formulas if you wish. But remember, the marker is kind of thick and you might need it later for other stuff. I do not remember if they start you on a timer once you sit down, so you might not have to time to jog down formulas. You will get a locker and locker combo where you place everything before you head in. You can not bring anything inside. They will provide you a calculator. Security is very tight, and a camera is trained on every computer station.(people take MCATs here too). The computer screen will notified you PASS or FAIL after you finish the test. Good Luck!

Thanks everyone! Two weeks left :P March 15 is my DDAY lol

Hawk in Stockton, California

17 months ago

Good luck!

Hawk in Stockton, California

17 months ago

Good Luck!

TFarnon in Sparks, Nevada

16 months ago

I just took and passed my MLS ASCP exam two days ago. I completed my CLS program almost three years ago, and either wasn't working at all or working in a mining assay lab. I used the labce online exam to refresh my memory and figure out where I wasn't as strong as I thought I should be. I also used the ASCP online practice exam package, and the BOC book. The format of the labce questions wasn't really like the exam at all, but the value in using labce is in refreshing your memory and providing ideas on subjects to review or study.

Shelly Willems in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

14 months ago

I'm taking the exam on June 6th. I've been studying all day, every day for the last 11 days. I did really well in school and feel really good about everything until I get to micro.

I have down all the normal bacteria like, staph, strep, Niserria, pseudo, GNR, anaerobes and such. What I'm struggling with is Mycology. I'm ok with the penicillium, histo, blasto, coccidoides, fur fur, and aspergillosis, you know all the normal stuff.

I did the Success book mycology some months ago and thought it was ok, but tonight I'm going through the Harr book and holy cow! 1/2 of the questions are about things I've never heard of. Did you really have no questions on mycology? Should I just go with what I have for mycology and hope to wing it?

Thanks for any advise you could give!

Hawk in Fresno, California said: Hello,

continued from above...and as for Micro questions and labce; I had about 20 bacterioogy questions on the ASCP exam and every single one of them were straight forward, like these questions should be. I guess what I am trying to say is to learn bacteriology biochemical differentiating reactions and you will score well in this section. And for this reason I despise the labce bacteriology section. I like all of, or most of the other sections. I used Robert Harr's book to study micro after I had memorized quite a few bacterial charts. The labce bacteriology section asked questions that are annoying and irrelevant at best. I would guess and say about 10-15% percent of the questions in bacT labce are of any use. I can't vouch for labce mycology, parasitology or lab management sections because I had zero questions related to these topics, not a single one.
So, in short, I believe that if you're scoring in the 50 percent range on labce CAT section and actively studying bacteriology from a an

14 months ago

Shelly Willems in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm taking the exam on June 6th. I've been studying all day, every day for the last 11 days. I did really well in school and feel really good about everything until I get to micro.

I have down all the normal bacteria like, staph, strep, Niserria, pseudo, GNR, anaerobes and such. What I'm struggling with is Mycology. I'm ok with the penicillium, histo, blasto, coccidoides, fur fur, and aspergillosis, you know all the normal stuff.

I did the Success book mycology some months ago and thought it was ok, but tonight I'm going through the Harr book and holy cow! 1/2 of the questions are about things I've never heard of. Did you really have no questions on mycology? Should I just go with what I have for mycology and hope to wing it?

Thanks for any advise you could give!

Hello,

Yes, I did not have a single question related to mycology. Of course, there's no way to say if you'll have any questions, but, we can safely say that if you do have any questions related to mycology, they'll comprise a very small percentage of your overall test questions. I guess we have to borrow a term from economics. What are the opportunity costs if you sit down and master mycology? In other words, what will be giving up if you master mycology? If you have a lot of time before your exam than you can afford to study mycology. If your exam is around the corner than I would suggest studying for the the other 98% of the exam (bacT, hematology, chemistry and blood banking, with a little coag and urinalysis) Your exam appears to be around the corner.
My best advice is to try and get a good nights sleep and stay calm.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.