Loma Linda University CLS Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 138)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Hliu in Fremont, California

54 months ago

Hi all, are there people that graduated from the LLU CLS program recenly? Would you mind telling me how are the classes (are they crazy hard?) and the school environment itself? Thank you
'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

The classes are hard and some people do drop out the first year if they can't pass the classes. If you study enough and are reasonably good at taking tests, you should be fine.

The school environment is nice and very conservative. They are Seventh Day adventist which is a Christian denomination. The devout SDAs don't drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat meat and the hospital cafeteria serves no meat. They make you go to their Church service once a week and it's mandatory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Hi CLS48,

Thanks for your response. In terms of the classes, did you find that you have enough time to study for them since its 4-5 science classes per quarter? I also read somewhere you have a BS from UCI, how are the classes at LLU compare to the UC upper div science courses in general?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

I did not go to UCI. Feel free to email me at clshemat@yahoo.com where I can give you more information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Remy in Redondo Beach, California

54 months ago

UCI courses are more theoretical, while LLU is a bit more practical/memorization. I'd say UCI courses are harder, but the LLU quarters are LOADED with units... so in turn, could make the program harder overall depending on the type of person you are.

54 months ago

Thanks Remy, currently I am just reading the book for Quant Chem (one of first classes I am going to take) and try to review lecture notes I had from my previous school. Also, do you have any recommendation or suggestion on where I should live? I am currently looking for housing and I don't know the area very well. Thank you

tmy in Loma Linda, California

54 months ago

Check this website
www.llu.edu/central/housing/lindsay/handbook/index.page
You can easily find a room at Lindsay Hall which is located near to School of Allied Health of LLU. The price is reasonable and you can walk in to the school for 5 min. Remember to apply as soon as possible.

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

Lindsay Hall is just for girls. The guys live in apartments on campus. Since you're coming from far, it would be best to live on campus since you're close to classes and everyone. If you live off campus, there aren't too many apartments close by campus so you'd have to live a few miles away, which might be intimidating for someone that doesn't know the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thanks for the feedbacks guys. Currently, the Danielle residence hall (guys dorm) don't accept applications anymore and I am trying to find rooms around the school I can rent. I have another question though, how is the parking for students? If I were to live somewhere off campus, would parking be a problem around the campus?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

54 months ago

There's a lot of parking right by Nichol Hall where the classes are at. I forgot if you need a permit, but either way there is plenty of parking.

Well, don't feel bad if you have to live off campus. You are stuck with the same people in your class for 2 long years. You will grow pretty close to them and probably will find some people annoying. There probably will be drama in your class as there always is when your around the same people day in and day out, but you will get to be friends with them pretty easily.

biostudent in Irvine, California

46 months ago

Hello! I am currently a third year at UCI hoping to apply to the CLS program at LLU in Dec 2011. I've tried to find more information about admission to this program, but they don't seem to release very much information in that area, unlike other universities. The website says that the avg. incoming gpa is 3.0, but I don't know how updated is it. Have you gone to LLU before? Been accepted to LLU? Any information would be appreciated! I'm just really worried that I won't make it, and just want to know the relative stats of accepted people in the past/present to see how I compare. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hliu in Loma Linda, California

46 months ago

Hi Biostudent,

I am currently enrolled in the CLS program and the posted incoming GPA of 3.0 remains true. Most of my classmates have GPA between 2.8-3.5 so yeah I think it is pretty updated. The program is a 2 year program with didatic courses first year and clinical rotataion second year. For my class, there are about 5-6 students (including me) that already have a BS so I think your degree at UCI should be helpful. I graduated from UCSD last year and I think this program is really good if you want to specialize in clinical lab career. However, this program is also very intense and fast paced compared toUC classes. I think you have a good chance to get in since you are going to have your BS soon, so don't stress too much and just apply. If you want more information regarding admission, you should contact the program director and advisor. The contact information is on LLU CLS program website. Hope this information helps, let me know if you have more question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

Hi Hliu, nice to see you doing well at LLU since you started this thread 8 months ago. Yes classes are intense and some people fail out, but as long as you get pull a 70% or above in the classes you're good.

biostudent in Irvine, California

46 months ago

Thanks Hliu & CLS48 for replying! I feel somewhat more hopeful now and look forward to applying in Dec. Do you guys recommend any extracurriculars that I should be involved in to increase chances of getting in? Thanks!

Hliu in Rialto, California

46 months ago

Hi CLS48: Yeah I just started Winter quarter couple weeks ago and its been great so far

Biostudent: Hi Biostudent, if you can try to get an internship in some kind of lab setting doing laboratory work. I interned at a clinical research center when I was in UCSD so maybe that will help your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hliu in Rialto, California

46 months ago

Hi CLS48: Yeah I just started Winter quarter couple weeks ago and its been great so far

Biostudent: Hi Biostudent, if you can, try to get an internship in some kind of lab setting doing laboratory work. I interned at a clinical research center when I was in UCSD so maybe that will help your application.

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

Yes some lab work might help.

Hliu, the winter quarter of the 1st year is the hardest of the whole program, and it's where some students in my class failed out. Study a lot and once you pass it, you most likely will pass the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

tmy in Loma Linda, California

46 months ago

They changed the schedule this year, so maybe winter quarter is not too hard as I took last year.

SN27 in San Diego, California

46 months ago

I'm applying to LLU's CLS program this year. My undergrad is in bio and I have 5 years work experience in academic research (immunology). I also just got my MPH but I realized after I didn't really like health care admin as much as I thought I would and I definitely like lab work better so now I want to go the CLS route. I hope I will get in since I already have my degree and research experience.

Does anyone have thoughts about the program? Are loans sufficient to cover everything? Even housing? My main concern besides getting into the program is the cost. I haven't completed many prereqs so LLU is my top choice for a CLS program.

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

SN you will easily get in with those stats and prereqs. They will most likely give you mostly private student loans and some stafford federal loans. They should give you enough to cover even living expenses but realistically you're looking at 70K in debt. While this is quite a bit, you can pay it off in 3-5 years like I did if you have a second per diem job and pay large amounts to the loan like maybe $2k a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Thanks CLS48 - Happy to hear that I have a good shot at getting in. It is a lot of debt to take on, plus I already have $20k from undergrad and grad school. As long as I can find a job after I finish the program and pay off the loans within a reasonable amount of time, I'll be ok with it.

Some more questions for anyone who knows: What's the average class size? Are most students around age 20 since it's a bachelors program? Is there any CLS related work to do to get experience during the summer in between?

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

The class is probably between 15 to 20 students. Maybe more now because the demand is higher. Most students are in there 20s but some students are older like 30s or 40s, and half have their BS degree already. There's really no point to try getting more experience in the lab. I think you'd be ok. The most you could do is lab assistant in a technical area of the lab but it might be hard to get a job like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

hey in Neptune, New Jersey

46 months ago

during the clinical portion -clinical practicum the 12 weeks portion, are you in the lab 40 hours per week or you are also doing lectures besides observing?
Thanks
Andreea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

You go to the lab monday through friday but from what I remember, mondays were just half day and the rest of the half was classes that you took. On rotations, you mostly work because the CLSs would rather have you do the hard work then them lol. The good thing is you don't just rotate at one hospitals like the CSU Dominguez Hills program. You go to 3 or 4 labs so you can see how each lab runs because every lab is different. You will hate some labs and others you will like to work in.

I remember at my rotation in Hoag Newport Beach, I was already reviewing CBC results and releasing UA microscopics. Although, with just a CLS trainee license, I wasn't too sure if that was entirely allowed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

hey in Neptune, New Jersey

46 months ago

most programs in cali have 5 days per week- 40 hrs per week training in the lab? Here in NJ we have 3 days in the lab doing testing and 2 days still in the lab but listening to lectures from med techs on hematology, micro etc. is that still considered lab training /rotation or only the 3 days when i do actual bench testing are considered rotations?
I just do not know how to answer on the lfs application to the question how many hours per week do you have clinical training?
should i say 24 hrs because that is what i actually i am ON THE BENCH or 30 hrs considering i have these workshops and lectures. i just do not understand what they see as clinical training for 1 year- both lecture and bench or just bench?
what would you do?

46 months ago

How religious is the campus in terms of students and professors? Obviously it's conservative but are they very devout or is the campus generally pretty laid back? I'm not religious but I don't see a problem with attending church service and what not, but just wondering what the atmosphere is like...

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

SDAs don't drink alcohol, don't drink caffeinne, and don't eat meat so the hospital cafeteria serves fake meat and tofu. A lot of people are religious but the atmosphere is pretty normal other than that. People do still get drunk in the apartments on campus, but they have to be very quiet about it lol.

SDAs are also accepting of other Christian denominations and even Muslims. There are some Muslims that wear the head clothing that you see at Church. They probably would prefer not going but it's a requirement to graduate so what can you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mslena79 in San Lorenzo, California

46 months ago

I'm filling out the application for LLU's CLS program and I'm trying to figure out how to answer the essay questions. Any ideas on content, length, etc.? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CLS48 in California

46 months ago

I don't even think I had to write essays when I applied. They must have changed their application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Hliu in Loma Linda, California

46 months ago

I remember it was a topic on why you choose Loma Linda CLS program, I wrote a personal statement that was about 4-5 pages double space. You can also include a copy of your CV, i think that would help. Incorporate your goal, your reason why u wna be CLS, into the personal statement. Also try to reflect your values and that of Loma Linda I think that may help. Good Luck!

45 months ago

I found out that I still need to take a few pre-req classes (PE and some other humanities)... will LLU offer some kind of conditional acceptance or anything like that? How do they notify you of your admission status? Thanks in advance!

45 months ago

Forgot to mention that I'm going to take those classes this upcoming spring quarter or summer session.

CLS48 in California

45 months ago

Yes if I remember correctly I had a conditional acceptance. I ended up taking an anthropology and PE class at Cal Poly Pomona before entering in August. They will send you a letter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Great... last question: how long after your app is complete will they notify you? Do they have a certain date where they notify everyone or is it on a rolling basis? Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Micro girl in Irvine, California

45 months ago

SN27

I'm also applying to llu. Those questions are quite intense. working on them right now. From my impression on their website, it is rolling admissions, but don't quote me. I'm as clueless as you. Lets hope we both get in!

SN in San Diego, California

45 months ago

Micro girl in Irvine, California said: SN27

I'm also applying to llu. Those questions are quite intense. working on them right now. From my impression on their website, it is rolling admissions, but don't quote me. I'm as clueless as you. Lets hope we both get in!

Good luck to you! I tend to get anxious after I apply and check my application all the time. If I had some sort of time frame where I knew I would find out at least I could calm my nerves temporarily...

medtech13 in Fontana, California

45 months ago

Hi, i'm currently in the process of applying for the cls program at LLU for this fall and wondering what kinds of qualities they're looking for, for those who have taken the cls program? I'm also struggling to keep my gpa at a 3.0 so how lenient are they with gpa compared to the other requirements?

Hliu

45 months ago

I believe its a rolling admission, I got my acceptance letter in Mid March (I submitted at end of Jan.), but some of my classmates got their acceptance letters later than me so I think they review application on a monthly basis. Hope this helps :D

45 months ago

Hliu said: I believe its a rolling admission, I got my acceptance letter in Mid March (I submitted at end of Jan.), but some of my classmates got their acceptance letters later than me so I think they review application on a monthly basis. Hope this helps :D

Thanks! I submitted my application already but not the letters of rec. Hopefully they'll be in within the next couple weeks at most. Fingers crossed!

Katrina in Loma Linda, California

45 months ago

Hi SN,
I submitted my application on May, and got accepted two weeks later. You do not need to submit all rec because I just submitted two of them. Two years went fast. I will graduate on June 2011.

44 months ago

Katrina in Loma Linda, California said: Hi SN,
I submitted my application on May, and got accepted two weeks later. You do not need to submit all rec because I just submitted two of them. Two years went fast. I will graduate on June 2011.

Katrina, did you let them know that were only going to submit two letters of rec or did they forward the app to the admissions committee on their own? I have a professor who is really lagging behind and hasn't done my letter yet. Everything else has been submitted except that one letter.

Congrats on graduating in June! So far has the program met your expectations?

Thien in Colton, California

43 months ago

Hi all, ** CLS48 --> I pm'd you this comment in an older thread so if you got an e-mail, it's actually the same pm, lol...sry)

I had a question about LLU CLS-BS program. I'm currrently attending San Bernardino Valley College and taking prereqs to transfer to LLU's CLS program (w/o an AS and w/o a BS). I wanted to know what makes (made you) a good candidate for acceptance into the program. Do they accept all students who apply that meet requirements or do they have a competitive applicant pool? Could you state your gpa, and grades you recieved in your courses? In addition, do they require or even look favorable on applicants with HC exp. (like being a Phlebotomist). Lastly, what are the steps for being certified for CA-CLS? I looked at other threads and someone mentioned a 1 year rotation to qualify for licensure for the state of CA, or something like that? if so does LLU's program have the rotation in there program? and is there a difference in MT certification and CLS cert? if there is which one is better and what do emplyers prefer? (both prehaps)?? Thank You in advance....

fmira in Laguna Niguel, California

43 months ago

I receive my acceptance letter two weeks after I submitted my application. Starting summer 2011. Good luck to everyone who applied!

42 months ago

For those of you who are going or went to LLU, how did you pay for school? I have some federal stafford loans, both subsidized and unsubsidized and I'm guessing they're going to offer me some private loans... is it worth looking at other student loans from banks and such?

Do the school offered private loans start accruing interest right away?

CLS48 in California

42 months ago

Thien, I just saw your questions right now. I believe their applicant pool is getting more competitive. I had a BS degree already with a good gpa so that helped me. Being a phlebotomist would help. LLU has a 1 year of rotations in their second year. You would just do the program then apply to the state for your CLS license toward the end of your program. MT is CLS, but I'd recommend getting your MLS(ASCP) certification on top of the state license because that is the national certification and some jobs prefer if you have that.

SN, if you don't have a bachelors yet, then you'd qualify for some grants. If you already have a BS, then you'd get all stafford loans sub and unsub, and the rest private loans. The private loans do accrue interest but you don't have to start paying till shortly after you graduate. I paid off my 60K of loans from LLU in 4 years, but I had two jobs during that time to help do it faster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Hi, I'm wondering about LLU's private loans...they only gave me a SAHP private loan for $2000, and according to them my shortage after the federal and SAHP loan is $36,071. I thought they would award me more money?? Does this seem correct?

40 months ago

Hi, I'm wondering about LLU's private loans...they only gave me a SAHP private loan for $2000, and according to them my shortage after the federal and SAHP loan is $36,071. I thought they would award me more money?? Does this seem correct?

CLS48 in California

40 months ago

Usually they would give you enough loans to cover all the tuition. It doesn't seem right, so you should call up their financial aid dept. The only thing I can think of is if your parents' make a lot of money and you included them on your financial aid application, they think your parents can cover the rest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I did include my parents in the FAFSA because the financial aid office said that I have to even though I'm independent, but they don't have any extra money because I have two younger siblings in college who are dependent on them. I called the financial aid dept and they said that that's all I would be given because the dept SAHP doesn't have more money to award? They said I should try to get a student loan from a bank and those rates aren't good so I'm worried...

fmira

40 months ago

Private and stafford loans are your only option. I got accepted to the program and I thought the school would offer more money since it's private, but I was wrong. Loan rates are high and tuition is high I guess I'll go out of state. Good luck!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.