MLT to MT Route in California

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

MLTCRUZ in San Diego, California

42 months ago

So my plan is to be a MLT for 2 years while going to school online to obtain a baccalaureate degree in CLS. After I obtain my degree in CLS, I should be be qualified to take ASCP exam for Medical Technologist according to the route 2 path.

Route 2: MLT(ASCP) certification AND a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND two years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years

Now my question is, does this Route 2 path apply in California? From my research, some people say you need a 1-year training program in order to be licensed in California others say different. I am so confuse about California standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

42 months ago

Online schools for CLS are not accredited in CA. 1 year of training is mandatory. You're better off going straight to a CA CLS program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leya Lee in Folsom, California

39 months ago

MLTCRUZ: Route 2 does not work in Cali because MLT's are NOT allowed to work in Blood bank, and thus will have no expereince. Anyone out in Cali who was a MLT and became an MT through Route 2? This works in EVERY other state besides Cali.

MLT11 in Chula Vista, California

34 months ago

Well I heard that if the Facility is a military Hospital like Naval Medical Center San Diego and or VA hospital, ASCP will honor the experience due to it being Government based. MLTs in the Military ARE indeed allowed to perform high complexity testing which ultimately meets and fulfills the requirement in Route 2 ASCP. MLTs from the Navy Challenge the ASCP and CA all the time and get their CLS once they have obtained their degree as well as successfully graduating from a NCCLS accredited program in addition to full documentation and support. The Naval Hospital San Diego no longer offers the program, it has been transferred to San Antonio TX but they still hire MLTs and they do prefer NACCLS accreditation. The only reason why I know this is because I know several CLSs who recommended to me to apply to federal and government hospitals.

med techy75 in San Jose, California

34 months ago

MLT11 in Chula Vista, California said: Well I heard that if the Facility is a military Hospital like Naval Medical Center San Diego and or VA hospital, ASCP will honor the experience due to it being Government based. MLTs in the Military ARE indeed allowed to perform high complexity testing which ultimately meets and fulfills the requirement in Route 2 ASCP. MLTs from the Navy Challenge the ASCP and CA all the time and get their CLS once they have obtained their degree as well as successfully graduating from a NCCLS accredited program in addition to full documentation and support. The Naval Hospital San Diego no longer offers the program, it has been transferred to San Antonio TX but they still hire MLTs and they do prefer NACCLS accreditation. The only reason why I know this is because I know several CLSs who recommended to me to apply to federal and government hospitals.

Yes, I agree I was a MLT turned MT via military facility route as they train us like MT's. So if you plan to do that more power to you. I joined the USAF with a Bachelors in HEalth Science and then joined the AF to train as a Lab Tech. Piggybacking off of their program I took the ASCP MLT, passed then 3 months later the ASCP MT and passed then applied for CA and now work for Stanford as a MT..so its totally doable and recognizable by hospitals and CA. In a military facility you are trained on practically everything and quizzed a million times too.

SWCMLT in San Diego, California

33 months ago

med techy75 in San Jose, California said: Yes, I agree I was a MLT turned MT via military facility route as they train us like MT's. So if you plan to do that more power to you. I joined the USAF with a Bachelors in HEalth Science and then joined the AF to train as a Lab Tech. Piggybacking off of their program I took the ASCP MLT, passed then 3 months later the ASCP MT and passed then applied for CA and now work for Stanford as a MT..so its totally doable and recognizable by hospitals and CA. In a military facility you are trained on practically everything and quizzed a million times too.

hey med techy75,,

thank you for the input, people constantly don't believe that you CAN indeed do that as a route.. How long did you work as an MLT before you challenged CA? Better yet how long ago did you do this route??

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.