MLT to MT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 73 of 73)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Chellezy in Asheville, North Carolina

22 months ago

CD in Elkhart, Indiana said: I am very interested in the online MLS program. My lab doesn't have a Micro Dept or Immunology Dept, would I have to do a clinical rotation for the program?

I am taking the MLS program at Univ of Cincinnati.I started last Fall Quarter (September 2011). However, the University of Cincinnati will start the Quarter to Semester conversion on August. Due to semester conversion, it will take 2 more years to finish MLS. The tuition fee is $290 per credit hours for out-of-state. I finished Fall, Winter and Spring Quarter and each quarter has 10 credits. I paid $3000 per quarter. However, when I register this coming Fall, the credit per hour is $465 for out-of-state and I will be taking Micro by Fall with 8 credit hours.

If you have years of experience as generalist or in any department, you can apply for life experience credit. If your life credit experience application proves that you have the required knowledge through your experience on any department , you do not need to repeat the clinical rotation on a particular department. For example, I am working in chemistry department, I can apply for life credit experience and I do not need to do a clinical rotation in chemistry if my application proves that I am proficient in chemistry. However, you need to submit a two reference and a letter from your department manager together with you application fee.
My experience at UC is rewarding because the case studies are very challenging but it is a great learning experience. The student assistant and the facilitators are always accommodating because they will reply to your email or calls immediately. It is one of the reason why I decided taking my MLS at UC even if it is expensive because their customer service is excellent. I applied to one of the distance learning program in my state but it took days to even a week before they will reply to my queries during my application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

khushbu Gajjar in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey

22 months ago

Hi
I have my bachelor and master degree in biotechnology (Medical).
For the MT(ASCP), this is enough or I have to take another training program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CD in Elkhart, Indiana

22 months ago

To be eligible for this examination category, an applicant must satisfy the requirements of at least one of the following routes:

ROUTE 1: A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics AND successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program within the last 5 years; OR

ROUTE 2: MLT(ASCP) certification AND a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND two years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years; OR

ROUTE 3: CLA(ASCP)** certification, AND a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND four years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years; OR

ROUTE 4: A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CD in Elkhart, Indiana

22 months ago

ROUTE 4: A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND five years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or an accredited laboratory* within the last ten years.

*Laboratory accredited by a CMS approved accreditation organization (i.e., AABB, CAP, COLA, DNV, The Joint Commission, etc.). NOTE: FOR U.S. CERTIFICATION THE JOINT COMMISSION INTERNATIONAL (JCI) IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

**CLA(ASCP) certification was discontinued in 1982. Only applicants previously certified as CLA(ASCP) may apply under Route 3.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Little Neck, New York

21 months ago

I am currently in a 4 year MT program farmingdale but they say they seeking approval from NAACLS. What if it doesn't get approved within 2-3 years by the time i graduate? am i still b able to take ASCP EXAM :( and work .

Liberty G. in Tulsa, Oklahoma

21 months ago

I loved the MT program at University of Cincinnati. It was worth every penny. To Sarah in Little Neck, I'm not sure if that will hurt you or not. I know if you graduate from a program that has probationary NAACLS accreditation you are okay. As long as the approval is being worked on its okay. But if they actually fail - I'm not sure what would happen. I can't imagine that they would fail. Seriously. For a program to be that defficient - you probably wouldn't even be able to pass the registry after completing it anyway. Just my thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Little Neck, New York

21 months ago

i don't know if they have a probationary accreditation but they keep telling they are in the final steps of processing ..anyway thanks for your thoughts liberty G..

Iana in Kuna, Idaho

21 months ago

JD in Levittown, New York said: Hello
I am curently a ASCP Medical Lab Tech in New york with a license and with an associates degree.
i have been working for 3 years and I am interested in taking the test to become a technologist. Do you HAVE to have a a bachelors degree to do so? Does work experience take the place of more schooling? Or is getting the bachelors the only way?

Hello.

I am graduate with BS in micro/chem and also just got certified as MLT. Due to my present situation I have to relocate to NYC. Would you mind telling where to apply for jobs at NYC and how easy to find employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Holland, Ohio

21 months ago

Hello,

I have a bacehlor's degree in chemistry from university of South Carolina. I have an agreement with a local hospital that they're going to train me in one area of the lab and then they might hire me after I pass the categorical examination and become a certified technologist. Can someone tell me what area I should do my categorical in? I think they said they can train me in chemistry, immunology, micro, or hematology. I like micro, but haven't had much experience working in a micro lab. Chemistry was my major in undergrad, but never got an A in any of my chemistry courses. What area do you think I should do my training in and why? Will the pay be different depending on what area you work in? How easy it it to find a job for a certified technologist with a bachelor's degree other than medical technology (in my case, bachelor's degree in chemistry)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Libby G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma

21 months ago

Dave in Holland, Ohio said: Hello,

I have a bacehlor's degree in chemistry from university of South Carolina. I have an agreement with a local hospital that they're going to train me in one area of the lab and then they might hire me after I pass the categorical examination and become a certified technologist. Can someone tell me what area I should do my categorical in? I think they said they can train me in chemistry, immunology, micro, or hematology. I like micro, but haven't had much experience working in a micro lab. Chemistry was my major in undergrad, but never got an A in any of my chemistry courses. What area do you think I should do my training in and why? Will the pay be different depending on what area you work in? How easy it it to find a job for a certified technologist with a bachelor's degree other than medical technology (in my case, bachelor's degree in chemistry)?

Its hard for anyone to recommend one. Whatever you pick you will be limited to work in that area only in the future unless they are willing to cross train you. Once you work in an area for about a year I believe you can sit for the registry in that area. Unfortunately many labs require that you be a generalist or at least be available to work in more than one area. If a lab is big enough the micro department usually doesn't work in other areas. Or you could go to work as an MT for a blood bank like Red Cross. Having the ASCP (Chemistry) might be good if you want to do tox screens and things like that. Again, that usually only works in specialty labs or very large labs. Most techs are required to be able to switch departments depending on staffing needs.

johnrene19 in San Clemente, California

20 months ago

Hi there! What is the required amount of clinical rotations for the ASCP/ASCPi license? I am a recent graduate of BS Med Tech from the Philippines and I only have 6 months of internship as indicated by the new curriculum. I would appreciate your response.

Thank you so much!

mom in Concord, California

18 months ago

ljwriteon in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I am looking into moving to Tacoma Washington to be close to family. I used to work in Albuquerque NM and for years I was an MLT with my NCA in Immunohematology. I got paid as an MT. I finished my BA in 1999 and made sure I took my math and chemistry classes to challenge the MT ASCP some day. I need to get this done before I move to Tacoma. I will not be moving until school starts up again in August. I am not sure if WA requires an additional state exam. I believe my employer here in Texas will help me get experience in Microbiology, but I am not sure that will be enough. Don't I need two years of experience. Most generalists dont do Micro or immunology. I am worked almost everywhere but much of my immunology and Micro experience was 18 years ago. Can I take a class to make up for the experience, so that I can challenge the MT ASCP generalist exam? Could I take a MT catagorical like Hema or even BB and get hired as an MT in WA? I would like to apply for generalist positions and I don't want to take a test that limits me. I just want to get my MT so I can get paid what I deserve after being a loyal tech for 25 years. I would need to get into a class quickly or take an online program. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you didn't have micro experience. The MT route 2 (2 year experience) requires micro and immunology experience, in the last 10 years. That's why it's the generalist exam. You have to have experience in all the areas. You are a very loyal Medical Laboratory Technician, but to be a Medical Technologist those are the expectations of the position. Washington does not require a licence but they do have a requirement for a registration state (I am not sure what they call it). The requirement also has a microbiology class in the BS requirement and 24 quarter credit hours in chem. That's about two years of full chem classes. You will get paid well for what you have earned in the state of Washington.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in Miami, Florida

18 months ago

I'm planning on becoming an MT via the route 2 path. However I might not be able to take general microbiology before I graduate (biology major) I know I will have to take intro to microbiology but I'll assume that wont be accepted. If i were to go back to school to just take that once class will that be accepted? Or does my microbiology course have to be with my bachelors

LibbyG77 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

18 months ago

I don't think the class has to be part of your degree. The fact that you have it should be enough. Are you a registered MLT now? I can't imagine sitting for the registry with just an intro to micro course under my belt. Study hard. I'm seeing more and more people in this forum with biology degrees. This is probably a stupid question, but what careers are people aiming for with a biology degree? My counselor at school said it was a pre-med degree. I'm seeing so many of them now and quite a few are trying to get into laboratory science.

David in Miami, Florida

18 months ago

LibbyG77 in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I don't think the class has to be part of your degree. The fact that you have it should be enough. Are you a registered MLT now? I can't imagine sitting for the registry with just an intro to micro course under my belt. Study hard. I'm seeing more and more people in this forum with biology degrees. This is probably a stupid question, but what careers are people aiming for with a biology degree? My counselor at school said it was a pre-med degree. I'm seeing so many of them now and quite a few are trying to get into laboratory science.
+

Yup I was pre med. Since highschool I always said ill go to med school but as time when on I figured it wasn't for me (for many reasons I wont explain here (:) Many of my friends from bio that are not pre vet/med/pharm are planning on doing grad school (zoology, evolution, and ecology are a few). Also, I have some friends that are planning to do environmental/conservation related things. For the most part they felt a biology degree looked better than an environmental science degree. And lastly im not an MLT student just yet(im getting my BS in Biology next year) but my program does require I take intro to microbiology so I will at least have that. For now Im still trying to see if I could fit microbiology in my schedule somewhere ",

mysavior in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma

13 months ago

LibbyG77 in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I don't think the class has to be part of your degree. The fact that you have it should be enough. Are you a registered MLT now? I can't imagine sitting for the registry with just an intro to micro course under my belt. Study hard. I'm seeing more and more people in this forum with biology degrees. This is probably a stupid question, but what careers are people aiming for with a biology degree? My counselor at school said it was a pre-med degree. I'm seeing so many of them now and quite a few are trying to get into laboratory science.

Hi, I'm a ASCP certified MLT with a BS in Biology and has been working in a lab for over 2 years now. I've been wanting to do MLT to MLS transition for some time but not quite sure which way to go. I'm kind of interested in the BS MLS program at UC. How long did it take you to complete the program? They said it would take me a little over 3 yrs. I just thought it was kinda too long since I already have a BS in Biology. Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

David in Miami, Florida

13 months ago

mysavior in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma said: Hi, I'm a ASCP certified MLT with a BS in Biology and has been working in a lab for over 2 years now. I've been wanting to do MLT to MLS transition for some time but not quite sure which way to go. I'm kind of interested in the BS MLS program at UC. How long did it take you to complete the program? They said it would take me a little over 3 yrs. I just thought it was kinda too long since I already have a BS in Biology. Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

If you have 2 years of full time experience you should be able to do route 2

Route 2: MLT(ASCP) certification AND a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND two years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited laboratory within the last ten years. At least one year must be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist and a certified medical laboratory scientist.

mysavior in Oklahoma city, Oklahoma

13 months ago

David in Miami, Florida said: If you have 2 years of full time experience you should be able to do route 2

Route 2: MLT(ASCP) certification AND a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND two years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Microscopy in the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited laboratory within the last ten years. At least one year must be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist and a certified medical laboratory scientist.

Hi David, thanks for the input. My only disadvantage is that the lab I'm working at does not have Micro dept. so I would not be eligible for route 2. Right now I'm searching for some online training certficate programs then I would be able to sit for the MLS exam but have not found anything yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ciara in Yorktown, Virginia

13 months ago

Liberty G. in Muskogee, Oklahoma said: I did an online MLT to MT program. It was mostly honor system, aside from major exams. You only screwed yourself if you cheated on the coursework because you would certainly not pass the big exams or your registry. It was a great program. I have now been a MT for 3 years and am loving the pay. I think its a great idea for MLTs to consider. You don't have to move or quit your job. Only one course at a time. I'm not limited to any area in the lab since I am a full blown ASCP CLS generalist. Doing the BS with a year of experience is too limiting.

What's the name of the online program? Did you work as an mlt while doing the online coursework?

LibbyG77 in Tulsa, Oklahoma

13 months ago

Ciara in Yorktown, Virginia said: What's the name of the online program? Did you work as an mlt while doing the online coursework?

The program was thru University of Cincinnati. You must be a certified MLT to be eligible. It is fully online with no campus visits and they offer in state tuition. I felt I was well prepared to sit for the registry. I worked full time as an MLT while I did the program. It is specifically for working adults wanting to transition their MLT into an MLS. My bachelors degree is in medical laboratory science. I'm glad I did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LunaRune in Elizabethton, Tennessee

12 months ago

I graduated a little over a year ago with a BS in Biochemistry with the thought I could work in a laboratory. Most jobs seem to want a MLT/MT degree, though. I am not sure what I need to do. I cannot find a job and am starting to think my only option is to go back to school. Is that the best route or should I find an internship or figure out another job course? I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you.

BritBrat in columbus, Georgia

11 months ago

I'm currently a MLT and working 3 years. I working towards my bachelor's in psychology. My question is am I eligible to take the technologist exam with a bachelor in any field through AMT? I was looking at Route 2 but my sciences are on the associate level. My MLT program teacher told us you could get a bachelor degree in basket weaving, as long as you got it and worked, you could challenge the board. Help me please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Thb1026 in Huntington, New York

11 months ago

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice/insight on what to do about my current situation.

I just recently graduated with my Masters in Microbiology, I have my Bachelors in Biology. I'm interested in working in a clinical lab as a Microbiologist. I also finished a 6 month internship in a Clinical Microbiology lab. I DO qualify to take the M(ASCP) exam this summer, specializing in just Micro since I have my masters. Now, I live in NY and plan to stay and work here, but you must have a NYS license to work in a lab here. My question to everyone is, is there a way to get my NYS license after I receive my ASCP one? Is there a certain pathway I should choose, or a specific application/fee/grandparent route I should take? The NYS dept of Ed's website is so vague and confusing, and their employees at their office aren't much help either. Thanks everyone!

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.