MLT certificate vs AS MLT. SO NOW THERE IS A WAY YOU CAN WORK IN THE LAB FOR LESS TIME!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 59 of 59)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

VeraDee in Los Angeles, California

24 months ago

I am in a program that is not accredited, in Los Angeles County. I am aware of the fact that CA MLTs cannot work in Immunohematology or perform any microscopy. I have just learned that this school is not accredited by NAACLS.
I am one who IS planning to leave state. I am actually feeling devastated as I write this finding out that ASCP gives two different exams.....already explained by "M" in Idyllwild. One for CA and then the national one.
I do agree with people on this board that think that it is dumbing down the lab to create all these MLT programs and then most are not even accredited. I was in MT program in another state and was not able to finish. Due to my age and need to get paycheck I must settle for MLT program.
Is there any way of taking ASCP exam when coming from non accredited school.....and is it not accredited due to NOT taking Immunohematology....?? I am taking Immunohematology at my school! Is the course more advanced in the accredited schools?
The schools mentioned; Southwestern and DeAnza are way out of my area also.....what to do??
Another question: Is lack of accreditation possibly due to other lackings in the program??

Any info very much appreciated.....I need ASCP national license and have had more formal/advanced courses from being in 4 yr program...but could not finish.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NLabTech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Hmm, that kinda stinks. Honestly, you'll probably either have to work only in California or switch to a different MLT program. Some employers are very desperate these days due to the shortage but...most still require some certification. You cannot take the ASCP exam from an unaccredited program. I have no idea why your program is not accredited, you'd have to ask the people who run the program. If I may ask, why were you unable to complete the 4 year program? If you have the right prereqs you could probably do a +2 MT program in the state you are planning to leave to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VeraDee in Los Angeles, California

24 months ago

NLabTech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hmm, that kinda stinks. Honestly, you'll probably either have to work only in California or switch to a different MLT program. Some employers are very desperate these days due to the shortage but...most still require some certification. You cannot take the ASCP exam from an unaccredited program. I have no idea why your program is not accredited, you'd have to ask the people who run the program. If I may ask, why were you unable to complete the 4 year program? If you have the right prereqs you could probably do a +2 MT program in the state you are planning to leave to.

Thank you for response. I was student at Northeastern University in Boston and would like to return to Massachusetts. What is a +2 MT program??
I hate the thought of being trapped in CA.....a state that I want to get out of. I have experience in Clinical Chemistry and Microbiology...yes worked in those departments as equivalent to MLT. People wonder how I worked in Clinical Lab without ASCP license, but I did. I always worked where licensed MT (ASCP) was signing out my work. I left field in early-mid 1990s due to children.
Not a politically correct statement, but could not finish program due to having to get out of abusive marriage. I know that I really screwed myself. There are only a couple of schools in So. Cal. (my area) that have true MT (CLS) programs, California closed many of the programs here and now they have shortage. I guess always much trouble getting the internships with area hospitals. I notice that a couple of the CSU schools in my area have MT options but have no hospital that they are contracted with. I am not completely sure about the politics of this other that people say you must find own internship from these programs (whatever that means).
Who would want to graduate from non accredited program...that means there are lackings in the academic contents of program...right??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Spring Valley, California

24 months ago

FYI, I actually live in San Diego...not Idyllwild (where I was visiting a month ago)...but it auto-populated my location...whatever....

Anyways, moving on....a few things to clear up...

I discovered why the MLT program at Miramar College is not yet NAACLS accredited: It is because the program is brand-spanking new. It was just approved by the Department of California of Health, Laboratory Field Services in September 2010. So basically, that means that Spring of 2012 was their first ever graduating class.

An MLT program CANNOT pursue or apply for NAACLS accredition until AFTER they have produced ONE graduating class. Apparently, Miramar is now on the path to becoming a NAACLS accredited program. Which would, once received, prepare their graduates to become CA state licensed AND obtain national certification through the AAB or ASCP.

I'm assuming this could be the reason why ANY school's MLT program is not accredited, but you would have to ask your school specifically. How new is the program? When was their first graduating class? Are they currently pursuing and/or applying for NAACLS accreditation? These are all questions you should ask your MLT program director...

As far as the coursework.....logic would dictate that it might be different...but I know the program at Miramar CURRENTLY includes coursework on immunohematology. Perhaps they did this in anticipation of eventually becoming a nationally accredited program? It sounds nice. But almost too good to be true. LOL. If and when Miramar does become NAACLS accredited, I'd be willing to be that it would come with a change in coursework as well. Who knows. LOL. I tend to be a cynic when it comes to stuff like that. :)

Anyways, hope that additional info has helped. Here's the site where I found much of my information about the whole CA state/national cert debacle:

www.ascp.org/Board-of-Certification/State-Licensure/California-Licensure#tabs-1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nina in Rancho Cucamonga, California

24 months ago

I thought one had to become an MLT before you can even get into a CLS program that's what I have been told. In California its so freaking frustrating! I have 10yrs exp non license, so it doesn't matter. Now I have been trying to get license, but there is no programs in the San Bernardino area. I even tried to drive back and fourth to Saddleback College in Mission viejo. I was driving a 100 miles a day; needless to say my studies was hurting, and I had to dropped the program. Now I am at San Antonio college in Walnut. I have an Associate degree in Science.I am tired of all the red tape trying to get certified now my major is Chemical Laboratory Technician (bio Chemical area).

If California wants to pass laws which I think they should wouldn't it be reasonable to think make these programs availble in each county, but California don't. Only MLT program in California and let me tell you I have spends tons and tons of hours searching. MLT Programs CA: Northern CA, San Dieago, and Orange County. Doea anyone know of any close location in the Inland Empire or San Bernardino where I can get into a MLT Program? California is a very strict as they should be, and I cannot find a job. I have even tried to find a job outside the lab profession, but knowbody wants to hire me, because I only have lab experience. Frustrating!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mia da madscientist in Augusta, Georgia

14 months ago

I HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN MLT, WE ARE ALSO KNOWN AS THE NEW SCIENTISTS, EVERY YEAR MEDICAL NAMES ARE SOMEHOW CHANGED,(also clinical lab scientists) EITHER OR IS NOT GOING TO HELP ONE GET A JOB STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE, PEOPLE WANT EXPERIENCE THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NOT BE TOLD, YOU WILL FIND THIS OUT WHEN YOU GO LOOKING FOR A JOB, I DONT WANT TO KNOW SOMEONE TO GET A JOB,DAMN, I DIDNT KNOW ANYONE WHEN I WORKED MY ASS OFF GETTING THIS DEGREE!!!!! and yes IM A PHLEBOTOMIST,AND A 22 YEAR C.N.A.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mia da madscientist in Augusta, Georgia

14 months ago

NAACLS approved in East Alton, Illinois said: My Mlt program is accredited by Naacls. So haters hush your mouth's and your fingers. Don't hate because you weren't smart enough to get into this field the cheap way.

I KNOW THATS RIGHT , IM A MLT ALSO, IF YOU CANT MAKE YOUR MONEY MOVE LIKE WE DID MOVE ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MLT2BE in Amarillo, Texas

12 months ago

Todd MT (ASCP) in Lewisville, Texas said: I am thinking with more automation that is coming out these hospitals are going to need less MLTs and a few MTs. This one lab I worked in at harriburg as a traveler, there was 2 MTs for the whole lab, the rest were lab assistants. This lab had a mechanical arm that spun, alloquated, and put the specimen on the insturment and autoverified. The blood bank was automated with electornic crossmatches.

Todd, are you really slamming those of us who have/are working toward A.S. MLT degrees when you can't even spell "aliquot?" Is literary competence not included in these standards that are supposedly being lowered in the laboratory? I know MLTs who could, as another said, work circles around just about any MT. We work hard in our program and have excellent instruction. It's the work ethic and experience that counts; don't be bitter that we made a practical decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

msrn in Texas

12 months ago

mia da madscientist in Augusta, Georgia said: I HAVE AN ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN MLT, WE ARE ALSO KNOWN AS THE NEW SCIENTISTS, EVERY YEAR MEDICAL NAMES ARE SOMEHOW CHANGED,(also clinical lab scientists) EITHER OR IS NOT GOING TO HELP ONE GET A JOB STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE , PEOPLE WANT EXPERIENCE THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NOT BE TOLD, YOU WILL FIND THIS OUT WHEN YOU GO LOOKING FOR A JOB, I DONT WANT TO KNOW SOMEONE TO GET A JOB,DAMN, I DIDNT KNOW ANYONE WHEN I WORKED MY ASS OFF GETTING THIS DEGREE!!!!! and yes IM A PHLEBOTOMIST,AND A 22 YEAR C.N.A.

what are you talking about? you are not making any sense. Clarify.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.