MLT program: Folsom lake college: MLT or CLS?????

Comments (12)

Leya Lee in Folsom, California

46 months ago

Anyone get accepted to folsom lake college MLT program. I just got accepted to an MLT program, but Im having doubts of accepting. Im from northern California and there is not a demand for.MLTs anywhere in Cali. My parents (both CLS) think going to this MLT program will be a waste of time and feel I should go straight for CLS now rather than later. Does anyone have any input? If I decided to go for Cls it would take me about 3 years (have been premed for 2 yrs;) as opposed to the MLt program that is 2 years. Any advice would be helpful.

Raj in Sacramento, California

46 months ago

If I were you, I would go straight for CLS because right now, MLTs are basically still non-existent. I have never come across job postings for MLTs. If you're in Community College or if you are still at a University going for your first B.S. degree, you should apply to Loma Linda University's B.S. in Clinical Lab Science program after you complete the prerequisites at community college or at the university you are in now. The program is 2 years (you enter as a junior) and it includes the 1 year internship you need to get licensed in the senior year.

If I had known about CLS while I was still at community college, I would have applied to Loma Linda University CLS Program before I transferred to UC and completed a B.S. in Biology because it would have been much easier to become a CLS that way. Now I have to apply to the 1 year internships and I don't think it's going to be easy to get accepted.

I hope this helps.

46 months ago

Thanks for responding. I plan on going to CSU and major in Biology with a concentration in CLS, however the school does not provide the 1 year internship. How difficult is it to get an internship? Your right about Loma Linda, they have a 2 year program and that includes the one year internship. I'm just worried if I go to CSU and get my degree in CLS but dont get an internship. Because without the internship you are stuck. Do you know if its difficult to find an internship while in the last year of the degree program? I know Kaiser is offering internships for new grads, but that is after they obtain the degree in Biology with a concentration in CLS and a trainee license.

46 months ago

Well I know there are a lot of people trying to get into the internships and so you'll have a lot of competition and there are very little number of spots for them. You'll have to get a certain GPA (they say greater than 2.8 but I'm sure they are looking closer to 3.0). Then there's the interview and if you don't do well, you'll have to reapply 6 months later. I'm not sure about Kaiser offering internships. I think Kaiser in Sacramento might be affiliated with San Jose State University CLS Training Program and you can do your internship at Kaiser after you apply to SJSU and get accepted to the CLS Training Program. I don't think you apply to Kaiser directly for the internship (but I may be wrong).

I just applied for the UC Davis Medical Center CLS Training Program and I haven't heard from them yet. If I don't get accepted, I'll apply to more programs later this year.

46 months ago

I had a feeling that finding an internship was going to be difficult. How long do people usually wait before getting into an internship? I know UCD only accepts so few each semester so I understand why it is so competitive. I decided that Im not going to do the MLT program considering CLS would be more desirable. I think I may look into loma linda as well. Below is the post for kaiser Entry level CLS, not sure if its for those with the completed internship or not. Thanks for your response. Did you go to CSUS? Thats is where I'm going. If you did attend that program, what do you think of it?

46 months ago

I think getting into the internships all depends on whether you get lucky or not. You can get accepted your first try or maybe not. I think the chances of getting accepted increases as the number of times you reapply increases. At least the programs starts every 6 months so you won't have to wait that long to reapply.

I didn't go to CSUS, I went to UCD. If I knew about CLS before I transferred, I would have gone to CSUS because I think they have better courses for becoming a CLS. But if I knew about Loma Linda back then, I would have applied there too because it would be a sure guarantee you'll have the internship.

I think the Kaiser Entry Level CLS job postings are for those who already completed the internship and got their license and certification.

WhiskeySlick in California

46 months ago

Interesting; I never knew Folsom had a MLT program.

46 months ago

Last class was accepted for Fall 2011. Folsom got a grant form the US government so the program is not like the nursing program or any of the other health programs.

Maggie Winn in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Leya Lee in Folsom, California said: Anyone get accepted to folsom lake college MLT program. I just got accepted to an MLT program, but Im having doubts of accepting. Im from northern California and there is not a demand for.MLTs anywhere in Cali. My parents (both CLS) think going to this MLT program will be a waste of time and feel I should go straight for CLS now rather than later. Does anyone have any input? If I decided to go for Cls it would take me about 3 years (have been premed for 2 yrs;) as opposed to the MLt program that is 2 years. Any advice would be helpful.

I think you would be doing the best thing to study to become a CLS rather that MLt. Folsom Lake College just started with this program. They can't find qualified instructors to teach the program. I participated in the first part of the program which is Phlebotomy and although the instructor was not a "teacher" (she only had a Bachelor's degree) she was extremely knowledgeable about the subject and acted as a qualified instructor. I dropped the program and could not continue due to financial reasons but I am in contact with the students in the class. They tell me that this instructor for this summer (2012)teaching Urinalysis is just a person who works in a Lab and besides 3 or 4 students everyone else is failing the class. Some of the students are dropping the class right now for fear of failing. This instructor is very confusing explaining the concept, which shows that she does not know it well (a blind leading a blind). I just can't understand why is it that Folsom Lake College took this program that is being funded by the Department of Labor if they could not provide real instructors that could teach the subject. So, if I were you, I would continue to take the required classes to become a CLS. Time fly, so don't waist it. Good Luck to you!

Folsom Lake College Student in North Highlands, California

33 months ago

Lucy Ford in Sacramento, California said: The program at Folsom Lake is not that bad it's just new. No offense Maggie but whoever you're getting your information from was being dramatic. The clinical chemistry/urinalysis class was an intense summer class and some students just couldn't keep up. At the end of the semester "only" 4 people failed leaving the 19 others passing...not just 3 or 4.
The instructors that the school has employed are qualified as instructors for this degree.

Trust me, the class is failing clinical chemistry, Katie. I'm in the class this fall semester and have to stay in the program-I need a job and have a family to support. Education is not about "KEEPING UP". Sure, most students passed, but they are NOT COMPETENT in the material. If the class were to take the ASCP Clinical Chemistry exam portion only--the majority of us would fail. Trust me, most students were just trying to make it into the next semester. The instructor allowed EVERYONE to re-take the 1st exam because EVERYONE FAILED and she would not let anyone see their grades. She also let everyone create a one-page cheat sheet for each exam. But, students were still failing. If you were to take away the cheat sheets and keep the grades from the 1st exam without a do-over--it would be a failing class-no doubt! Yes, I did pass and still feel that the instructor did not prepare me at all for the ASCP exam.

The MLT program at Folsom Lake College "WILL" be a good program "SOMEDAY".

Seriously, "NO" exam re-takes and "NO" exam cheat-sheets would have been a true measure of student competency in the material.

Folsom Lake College Student in North Highlands, California

33 months ago

Lucy Ford in Sacramento, California said: The program at Folsom Lake is not that bad it's just new. No offense Maggie but whoever you're getting your information from was being dramatic. The clinical chemistry/urinalysis class was an intense summer class and some students just couldn't keep up. At the end of the semester "only" 4 people failed leaving the 19 others passing...not just 3 or 4.
The instructors that the school has employed are qualified as instructors for this degree.

NAME MISTAKE: FOR LUCY, NOT KATIE - in response from FLC Student.

student in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

This program is a hard call. It was a horrible program and the teachers are mostly incompetent. They know some of the material bit in general they don't know what they are teaching.. The medical microbiology was the best. Jason knew what he was doing. The immunology teacher did not really know the subject but tried hard to ensure we would pass. The Hemetology was horrible. She is the program directer and should not teach. Most everyone did not pass the final not because we did not study, there simple was information that was never convered in class. Not the first time this happened and her standard response was "Don't be cry babies. You need to study more." There are jobs for MLTs. And if this program does come into existance be warned. Its is worth it to me because I want to work in the lab, but I personally think they shoul not be a program. I am not sorry I did it, just if you do take the program, have very low expectations and use it as a way to a clinical lab job. Don't expect to gain much useful knowledge. For that you will be on your own. I was a good student so this is not my being mad. Just my opinion for future canidates.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.