MLT starting salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 537)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

NLaB in Trenton, Michigan

35 months ago

Everyone talking about how CA pays the most but they forget one crucial aspect...and that is the standard of living. The standard of living is higher in CA than in most places so the pay per hour for MLT/MT's is set to match that. So when you look at it that way it sounds like your making tons more but in all actuality your not! Your pay in CA ends up being comparable to every other MT's salary nationwide, just about. Unless your living in a cardboard box eating Ramen noodles everyday most ppl in CA aren't banking as much as they'd have you believe. As a RN, i hear the same thing from CA nurses as well, and everybody started trying to flock there for jobs, but they didn't realize the standard of living costs was ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NLaB in Trenton, Michigan

35 months ago

JMarie in Vista, California said: I've been working in a private laboratory in research hormone balance, and it's a very interesting part of lab work...[QUOTE]

You 23 years old and no matter what field you go for you gotta start somewhere, and at some point. If the lab excites you that much then maybe that is where you may want to stay. Either route you choose is going to be about 4 years. Whether you do MLT or MT. Both are going to require you complete 2 years of science, math, english/history, etc. (your basics) no matter what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

35 months ago

NLaB in Trenton, Michigan said: Everyone talking about how CA pays the most but they forget one crucial aspect...and that is the standard of living. The standard of living is higher in CA than in most places so the pay per hour for MLT/MT's is set to match that. So when you look at it that way it sounds like your making tons more but in all actuality your not! Your pay in CA ends up being comparable to every other MT's salary nationwide, just about. Unless your living in a cardboard box eating Ramen noodles everyday most ppl in CA aren't banking as much as they'd have you believe. As a RN, i hear the same thing from CA nurses as well, and everybody started trying to flock there for jobs, but they didn't realize the standard of living costs was ridiculous.

Depends on the area as there are plenty of low cost areas in CA. I've discussed this before. Our cost of living is probably comparable to New York's but our pay is a good $5 an hour higher based on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cstinker in Lithonia, Georgia

35 months ago

Long-winded Lab Lady in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: I am a young MLT student and I am VERY excited about entering this field!

The pay is not the same as that of other "front line" hospital employees, such as nurses, and you don't go into lab science for recognition. If you want those, be a nurse. If you would rather help patients in a more indirect, yet just as important way, this could be the field for you. MLTs/MTs tend to be a bit more quiet and laid back than nurses, who tend to be more boisterous and outgoing.

I work in a lab now in specimen processing, so I have interactions with lab personnel as well as other hospital workers like nurses. You will encounter lots of idiot nurses, idiot doctors, idiot janitors/security guards/unit secretaries/anyone else, and idiot MLTs/MTs... it is like working ANYWHERE ELSE: you will have your fair share of idiots!

That being said, I have noticed that there are a decent number of lab workers who are less than happy. Generally, these people have been in the field for a long time, are nearing retirement, and are tired of being stuck in a lab with no windows and with the same people day in, day out. It can wear you out! However, this is an AGING FIELD, and 10 years from now, I'd say a good deal of the people who are techs now will be retired. This will create more demand for MLTs/MTs, and maybe pay will move up some. Maybe not. But there will be a "fresh" influx of people, and I know that I am ready to create a POSITIVE working environment in the lab! I welcome more optimistic, positive young people like myself to join me. Good luck to everyone!

Amen for the brighter day people such as yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smr0bmr in Mankato, Minnesota

33 months ago

CLS48 in California said: The problem is technicians can't release results because they don't have the license. Laboratories will always need MTs.

In, CA, technicians get paid $12 to $20 per hour depending on experience. MTs get $28 to $48 depending on experience and hospital location in CA.

The difference in salary appears to be more pronounced here than other places. I find it ridiculous that technicians can make almost as much as MTs in some places given that people with just high school diplomas can become technicians with experience, while MTs have to get the BS degree.

Things are completely different in different states. An MLT is not just a high school job. I have worked in multiple labs where I do the same work as a MT and I get $10 less and hour simply because I have a 2 yr degree vs a 4 yr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me in Cookeville, Tennessee

33 months ago

Just FYI, I also have a degree, am ASCP certified and have a state license. I am a MLT, but I had to work very hard to get here. I don't know how it works in CA, but no one just walked into the lab that I work in without knowing what they were doing first or without a degree AND license. The only difference between responsibility is that I can't be a supervisor.

For all the MT's who feel that they are soooo much better than all of us lowly MLT's, you should take a look around your lab and realize how much harder your job would be without the support of your CO-workers. I think it might be time to climb down off that high horse that you are riding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cece2dru in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

Steph in Carrollton, Texas said: MLT make 15-19 in texas. MT make 19-23. Its not much of a difference. Its the MLT that are lowering the wages for the MT. If the clinical laboratories made BS MT a requirement they would start alot higher like 25-30. Then people would actually want to stay in the field.

AZ ave salary for MT is $25-30

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerryberry in Carver, Massachusetts

33 months ago

I don't see anyone saying anything about MA, but I just need to throw in my 2 cents. There are very limited programs here and the starting pay for an MLT is $50,000 a year, give or take a few thousand depending on where you work. I am currently in an associate's degree program and know many MLT's and I have never heard a single one say anything about being treated poorly by MT, PA's or Pathologists, so I feel bad for the techs that work with all of you a-holes that think they're better than the MLTs. Come to MA, make more money and get some well deserved respect. They're is no room for such pig headedness when your all trying to do the same damn thing, enough said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NJ BIO DUDE in Dunellen, New Jersey

32 months ago

So I was admitted to the 15 month accelerated CLS program at UMDNJ (already have a BS in Biology) and was informed after I could take the national licensing exam and work in any one of 13 licensed states...CA being one of them. I haven't taken biochemistry (molecular biology satisfies this agreement or 3 semesters of physics (I took 2). Basically the ciriculum is this.
Course # Course Title Credits
MLSC2119 Basic Laboratory Operations 2
MLSC2129 Hematology I 3
MLCS2169 Body Fluids 1
MLSC2249 Clinical Chemistry I 4
MLSC2159 Clinical Immunology 2
Total 12

Fall Semester (16 weeks)
MLSC4279 Clinical Microbiology 6
MLSC2239 Immunohematology I 3
MLSC4349 Clinical Chemistry II 3
MLSC4329 Hematology II 3
Total 15

Spring Semester (18 weeks)
MLSC4310 Laboratory Statistics, Management and Education 2
MLSC4319 Introduction to Molecular Diagnostics 2
MLSC4339 Immunohematology II 2
MLSC4429 Clincal Practice in Hematology and Urinalysis* 2
MLSC4449 Clinical Practice in Chemistry* 2
MLSC4489 Independent Study 3
Total 13

Summer Semester (14 weeks)
MLSC4390 Topics in Medical Laboratory Science** 1
MLSC4439 Clinical Practice in Immunohematology and Immunology* 2
MLSC4479 Clinical Practice in Microbiology* 2
Total 5
Total Credits: 45

Anyways if I pass the national exam could I go straight to work out in CA. My dad lives out in CA, but UMDNJ is actually cheaper than most of the CA programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NJ BIO DUDE in Dunellen, New Jersey

32 months ago

I was wondering if I could take the CLS BS program @ UMDNJ and then move to CA (father lives out there) after taking the national licensure exam and go to work out there. The UMDNJ program is fifteen months long and consists of...

MLSC2119 Basic Laboratory Operations 2
MLSC2129 Hematology I 3
MLCS2169 Body Fluids 1
MLSC2249 Clinical Chemistry I 4
MLSC2159 Clinical Immunology 2
Total 12

Fall Semester (16 weeks)
MLSC4279 Clinical Microbiology 6
MLSC2239 Immunohematology I 3
MLSC4349 Clinical Chemistry II 3
MLSC4329 Hematology II 3
Total 15

Spring Semester (18 weeks)
MLSC4310 Laboratory Statistics, Management and Education 2
MLSC4319 Introduction to Molecular Diagnostics 2
MLSC4339 Immunohematology II 2
MLSC4429 Clincal Practice in Hematology and Urinalysis* 2
MLSC4449 Clinical Practice in Chemistry* 2
MLSC4489 Independent Study 3
Total 13

Summer Semester (14 weeks)
MLSC4390 Topics in Medical Laboratory Science** 1
MLSC4439 Clinical Practice in Immunohematology and Immunology* 2
MLSC4479 Clinical Practice in Microbiology* 2
Total 5
Total Credits: 45

Just curious if I still need to take Biochemistry and physics III (molecular bio satisfies the agreement for biochemistry in NJ and I've never heard of a bio major taking 3 semesters of physics anywhere--only 2 :-P)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

32 months ago

If it has one year of rotations then it should be ok.

Batttie in Salinas, California

32 months ago

I would contact the laboratory field services first.... To obtain the CA license they are strict about hours and required courses before issuing licenses... I do know many out of state CLS and they were required to take a class or two after moving because they did not full fill the requirement from the out of state university.. And what exactly is this national licencing exam.... I've never heard of it.... To my knowledge there is not just one license that covers the entire u.s.. I do know many, if not most states recognize ASCP as a certifying agency and have omitted a state test in place of BOR in which you can use to apply for the particular states licenses.... So in short, to work in all 50 states, you need 13 separate licenses...

and no you can't go straight to work... The application process for CA license can take several months... They employ 1 person to regulate all the lab licenses in CA... Good luck tho... CA pays the best in lab science... :)

s_ha89@yahoo.com in Fullerton, California

32 months ago

was a double major in Electrical Engineering/Physics but recently switched to Biology BS - Medical Technology. I haven't taken any Biology and Chemistry classes yet except for College Chemistry1 4 years ago a pre-req for materials engineering. I have 80+ units completed so far, most are engineering. I am wondering if I should stick to MT or switch back to EE.

My career goals have changed though. Based on the SDS and other tests I have taken, it says that my skills are more scientific/technical with Immunhologist, Hermantalogist, etc. Based on SDS result, I am an ICS (Investigative, Conventional, Social).

To restate my key concern: Should I stick with MT even though I am really rusty in sciences and math (aka college algebra) or just go back to EE?

Thank you all in advance,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justadude in Sugar Land, Texas

32 months ago

Both are good choices, but I would say engineering has harder math classes. If your rusty in sciences your not going to do well in either major, unless you really apply yourself and make some changes. Both require solid math skills, engineering more so. Basically your going to need to improve your math skills.

s_ha89@yahoo.com in Alhambra, California

32 months ago

Thanks @ustadude. I do appreciate your response. I'm really rusty in both sections especially Differential Equations. I am really rusty in sciences but I think I remember physics more (engineering physics) more than any other class. I don't think I can switch back or change major anymore due to the fact that my university has a new rule that you have to show that you can complete it within 140 units. I have 80+ units right now, most of which are electrical engineering classes.

Suman in Satellite Provider

31 months ago

Hey guys this is Suman,Hello and hai to everybody. Here i want to introduce my self. I am a DMLT Holder with 7 yrs of exp. .in INDIA .while i did my diploma i went full of 2 years hospital training with theory classes. But for the B.Sc MLT Students have attended only 1 month hospital training in their final year of graduation. If we compare to the syllabus of DMLT And Bsc Mlt... Bsc had less. Only Only one paper exam that also come in final sem. They had science study for first 2 years. See what they invented for lab nothìng.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

champagna1 in West Orange, New Jersey

31 months ago

i don't have an answer for your question but maybe you can help me with mine. i just got accepted to the CLS program @ UMDNj and i am kind of confused on which campus i should go for. i 've heard that the CLS program in newark is harder than other campuses. Do you think this is true and what campus did you apply to?

Mo in Palm Desert, California

29 months ago

Steph in Carrollton, Texas said: MLT make 15-19 in texas. MT make 19-23. Its not much of a difference. Its the MLT that are lowering the wages for the MT. If the clinical laboratories made BS MT a requirement they would start alot higher like 25-30. Then people would actually want to stay in the field.

wow wages are starting at 30 for new CLS in CA. I am an MLS in CA that can not get the CLS license so I have the MLT license for CA but not many labs are comfortable hiring an MLT. ONly 3 labs to choose from in my area so I am SOL!!

NG mlt in Amman, Jordan

29 months ago

With this kind of english "counteryes" I think you are limited to few countries that you can apply in!

sudarshan in Chandigarh, India

29 months ago

starting salary is 15000 to 25000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MLT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

29 months ago

CLS48 in California said: I'm not sure MLTs can report results out. I'd like to see evidence of that. Do you have a link that specifically says this? While they do have licensed MLT, I do not believe they can report results out yet.

I am a MLT working in a Hospital for a year now, reporting out results, calling the doctors, calling critical results to the floors and what not. I am not certified yet but studying and working towards it. The only thing in the hospital I work at that MTs can do that MLTs can't do is SUPERVISE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

msscott in Yakima, Washington

29 months ago

CLS48 in California said: The problem is technicians can't release results because they don't have the license. Laboratories will always need MTs.

In, CA, technicians get paid $12 to $20 per hour depending on experience. MTs get $28 to $48 depending on experience and hospital location in CA.

The difference in salary appears to be more pronounced here than other places. I find it ridiculous that technicians can make almost as much as MTs in some places given that people with just high school diplomas can become technicians with experience, while MTs have to get the BS degree.

That sound like a California problem-along with a lot of others!I've been an MLT for 17 years and have never worked where I can't release results.I think labs need to rely less on MT's and more on MLT'S.Saves money and its only a nose in the air thing to say differently.It's just like only RN's.Absolutely no reason for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brittlv134 in Las Vegas, Nevada

29 months ago

If it wasn't different, there wouldn't be a different title. MT isn't better than MT and vice versa but they are DIFFERENT. Pretending like they aren't is just ridiculous. MT's have more years of REQUIRED education and therefore get paid more money. I don't understand what all of the fighting is about.

29 months ago

Oops, I meant MLT*

sairahola in Tempe, Arizona

29 months ago

I agree, one CLS supervising 4 MLTs...and I am looking at job offers for MLT paying over 20 bucks an hour (UCLA medical center at 28 plus change) only places like quest diagnostics would pay less than 20...

los in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

Hey everyone. so do you guys know what the job market is like for mlt's. All the automation worries me at times.

MLT81 in Amman, Jordan

29 months ago

The only different in education between MT and MLT is that MT take the gen ed classes which has nothing to do with the field. MLT's is just as good as MT's as far as working in the feild. I hate it when MT's act like they are better and more educated thans MLT's. Both can do the same thing in the lab but MT's have the abiity to supervise.

29 months ago

Ok, MT's just have a bachelor's with GE courses which have nothing to do with the field or help in this field in any way, and they get paid more. They are the same.
I'm not acting "better" and frankly, I think acting better as well as saying they are the same is a bit ignorant. If they were the same there wouldn't be different tests or different education requirements or different pay.

cali native in Amarillo, Texas

29 months ago

I am an MLT and an MT (ASCP), and I was both a CLT and CLS(NCA), before ASCP and NCA merged. I can tell you that in most states (with the exception of California), an MLT does exactly the same job that an MT does, including releasing results, and often serving in supervisory positions. How do I know this? I am also a Professor of Laboratory Medicine and I am a director of an MLT program, but I have lived and worked in many states, prior to becoming an educator. My students study the exact same clinical laboratory textbooks that MT students use. The primary difference is that MLT students do not have the administration and management courses, nor do they take the extensive number of general education courses that are an integral part of the MT/CLS curriculum. However MLT students, in general, often have greater clinical hour requirements.

There has always been a tremendous amount of "trash talk" about MLTs by MTs and I think that is a pretty sad commentary, considering that we are supposed to be working as a healthcare team for the benefit of our patients. The fact is that many MTs today use their degree as a stepping stone to Med School and only work an average of 1-2 years in the clinical lab, contributing to shortages of qualified laboratory professionals. MLTs tend to stay in the field, working many years in the clinical lab. The salaries for all lab professionals are low, especially considering the level of knowledge and responsibility required for both MLTs and MTs. Maybe instead of spending so much time grumbling about MTs vs MLTs, there should be more collaboration to act proactively and resolve the salary problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

I am an MLT and an MT (ASCP), and I was both a CLT and CLS(NCA), before ASCP and NCA merged. I can tell you that in most states (with the exception of California), an MLT does exactly the same job that an MT does, including releasing results, and often serving in supervisory positions. How do I know this? I am also a Professor of Laboratory Medicine and I am a director of an MLT program, but I have lived and worked in many states, prior to becoming an educator. My students study the exact same clinical laboratory textbooks that MT students use. The primary difference is that MLT students do not have the administration and management courses, nor do they take the extensive number of general education courses that are an integral part of the MT/CLS curriculum. However MLT students, in general, often have greater clinical hour requirements.

There has always been a tremendous amount of "trash talk" about MLTs by MTs and I think that is a pretty sad commentary, considering that we are supposed to be working as a healthcare team for the benefit of our patients. The fact is that many MTs today use their degree as a stepping stone to Med School and only work an average of 1-2 years in the clinical lab, contributing to shortages of qualified laboratory professionals. MLTs tend to stay in the field, working many years in the clinical lab. The salaries for all lab professionals are low, especially considering the level of knowledge and responsibility required for both MLTs and MTs. Maybe instead of spending so much time grumbling about MTs vs MLTs, there should be more collaboration to act proactively and resolve the salary problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS-Rookie002 in Placentia, California

29 months ago

You know, back when I was just "CLS-Hopeful," I too thought that MLTs cannot release results. Turns out, that here in CA, they can. Of course they can. Lab Assistants, which are all CPTs last I checked, cannot, obviously, that is why they are usually kept within the parameters of "Processing." MLTs can and do release results. They can work in all areas of the laboratory EXCEPT for Blood Bank. One thing they CANNOT do, is Microscopy. So for instance, working in the Hematology and Microbiology would be limited. But all Clinical Chemistry Departments are free reign. My hospital just very recently hired an MLT for the Chemistry and Emergency Depts of the Clinical Laboratory. And yes, 1 CLS to 4 MLT is the ratio by law. Whether ClS' like it or not, MLTs are here to stay. OH and last I checked, at least HERE in this particular region of CA, MLTs start at about $24/hr. Lab Assistants go from $17-$26/hr DOE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

I like Cake!!! in Brazil, Indiana

29 months ago

Very interesting reading these post for the last year. Im 39 have an AS Biotechnology and worked in Pharmaceuticals for 6 years and now with the loss of drug patents I was laidoff. In the pharma field I could do the same job as a BS micro technician but the FDA regulated what degrees can perform what tasks this eliminated arguments and helped differentiate payscales. Anyways, I decided to continue with a BS Biology with Specialization in Medical Laboratory Science, job security is the main reason. What I see happening with the battling between MT and MLT is very disturbing and really makes me wonder if I made the right choice with what seems to be a hostile work environment just as I approach my clinical year beginning in December. I really researched the best I could as far as pursuing MT or MLT programs. Here in Indiana there is a huge difference in Core Class requirements between the two programs, for example I have to complete one year inorganic chem and one year organic chem, immunology, and a year of clinicals. The MLT program doesnt require anything close to this and requires only 6 mos clinicals, although it does serve its purpose and has 100% job placement. I think to each is their own, we all have our life paths and there is no reason to squash someone elses path to make ourselves feel better about our choices.If a person progresses, no matter the degree isnt that the point of a career and a job. As far as pay, maybe MT's in each state should advocate for their state to pass a "MLT bill" as CA has done. Good post, nice to see another that views the bashing as unprofessional and interesting to see that MLT's have longer clinicals than MT's, opposite of my state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Harker Heights, Texas

29 months ago

Hi everyone, to the one in Indianna, I can't imagine that the actual workplace is like this, in addition for the most part it seems like this field attracts the lets get the job done, keep to yourself types, along those lines I can't imagine that they like confrontation and will avoid it all costs, some of the things said on this post I'm sure people don't say in the lab, that is just incredibly unprofessional, anyhow I just had a couple of questions I'm currently completing an enviromental science degree, however I'm concerned that I won't be able to find a job after I graduate, I have most of the pre-req's done for entry into an MLT program, expect things like phlebotomy and 2nd year of Chemistry...the only MLT program near me is aobut 2 and a half hours away, I'm having a hard time getting the school to get back in touch with me...my understanding is that for MLT clinicals are 6 months long, however I don't know how many days per week, or how many hours at a time...this would be useful information because I will be taking other courses and will need to know how to schedule them...I know that people on here won't know school specifically, however I was wondering if a few people could share the sched they had for clincials on here (MLT only please) in addition is it difficult to get a job as an entry level MLT thanks...

MLT AND MT (HEW) in Osseo, Minnesota

28 months ago

I find it crazy that because mama and papa put you through school or because a Pell grant got you though 4 years of partying that you are superior to those that know the impact of every move we make in our positions. A BS does not make you good at what you do. This is also about age discrimination how many techs over 45 have a BS degree but do everything in the laboratory field?

David in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

what are the chances of a starting MLT to make $15-$16 starting

28 months ago

David in Miami, Florida said: what are the chances of a starting MLT to make $15-$16 starting

In my part of Texas, that's about the norm, assuming that the person is certified and probably "paying their dues" by working on the 3-11 or 11-7 shift.

28 months ago

Hi Angela,
In my program, Freshmen students spend about 64 hours in clinicals and Sophomore students go to clinicals 4 days per week, 8 hours per day for 16 weeks. They also have about 10 days of in-house clinical experiences. During clinicals, the students are simply at the clinical facilities for hands-on experience. In other words, students are expected to know all of the theory before they go to clinicals.

Im sorry you are having such a time communicating with the nearest program. In all fairness, I have to say that this is Spring Break, and students as well as faculty are on vacation at the present time. Have you considered an online program where program officials work with you to arrange clinicals in your area? If so, you might consider contacting www.naacls.org That is the website for the accreditation agency for all lab programs. Im sure that they could help you.

Angela in Slaton, Texas

28 months ago

hi cali in texas now:-) I appreciate the fast and thorough response, not sure that an online program is for me, but at least now I know I need to take a very light course load for the other degree while pursuing MLT, and I know they are on spring break, and forgot that things get kind of crazy a couple of days before the break, also for the program I'm looking into only requires Algebra before starting and second year of Chemisty, do you have any other recommendations just starting off before I start for a smoother transition?? also since you are in charge of a program, I'm in my 30's is there alot of age discrimination and what type of things can I be doing to strengthen my resume while in the progam and is it difficult for an entry level MLT to get a full time job?? appreciate your time..

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland

28 months ago

Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.
Previously, I have a conversation with my professor and she wanted me to make two choices either go on with my degree or continue working for LabCorp as a RPT(Registered Phlebotomy Technician). I can't have both. I've been working for this company for 4 years now as a Patient Service Technician Specialist/Quality Assurance and I am making the same pay rate as what an MLT do. While reading all of the comments in here,why would they create such degree---MLT only to end up not getting the job when you finish MLT???
I would suggest to go to a Health Agency like Source One or Kelly Health Services...

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland

28 months ago

Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.
Previously, I have a conversation with my professor and she wanted me to make two choices either go on with my degree or continue working for LabCorp as a RPT(Registered Phlebotomy Technician). I can't have both. I've been working for this company for 4 years now as a Patient Service Technician Specialist/Quality Assurance and I am making the same pay rate as what an MLT do. While reading all of the comments in here,why would they create such degree---MLT only to end up not getting the job when you finish MLT???
I would suggest to go to a Health Agency like Source One or Kelly Health Services...

Tracy in Mount Washington, Kentucky

28 months ago

I love it!!!! Way to take one for the team!!!!!!!!!!

Ludicrous!!! said: I have read many of the comments on this sight and am amazed at the ignorance and arrogance of some of you so called professionals!
I have an Associate in Applied Science / Medical Laboratory Technology. I am an ASCP certified MLT, and if YOU have ever tested for ASCP Certification then you already know...YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR YOU WILL NOT PASS THE EXAM!!! I have worked in laboratories and see, overall, no difference between the duties required of MT vs MLT...the jobs are basicaly the same except the MT's receive higher pay. I am married to a MT Lab Manager...PT, QC, Maintenance etc...may be deligated to a MT, but it's not the LAW...MLT's are also trained in this area. We are NOT idiot monkeys off the street coming into "YOUR" lab and pushing the buttons on "YOUR" analyzers...we MLTs most likely know more about the legal issues, theory, policy, procedure... than you do & FYI to the real smart one who said MLTs can not report results; GET A CLUE!!! You guys are upset because you paid for 2 unnecessary years of education and want to demand that others see you as superior...well not this MLT...I see you as an equal...your ignorance and arrogance alone is enough to deduct 2 years of your so called knowledge! Again...get a clue!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Frankus in Asheville, North Carolina

28 months ago

AMEN TRACY.... WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Mount Washington, Kentucky

28 months ago

Rohan,
Who are you calling incompetent??? I've been an associates degree nurse for 10 years & a damn good one! In fact, who do you think answers the other nurses (yes, bachelors prepared) questions & helps them out in a pinch! I've had more clinical hours in school than these nurses, & guess what...even get paid more than many of them!! Oh yes, nobody cares to mention that a BSN doesn't get you anymore money unless your management! It's experience that makes the nurse, not how many bull**** credits you have taken!!

Rohan in Fresh Meadows, New York said: lol todd.

No my mother is not a nurse. You keep saying the sky is the limit for nurses. Dude, that's the same for everyone if they have the drive for it. Were talking about the current degree and situation here, not what a nurse "can" do if they wanted to. I "can" decide to goto med school if I wanted to and someday invent a cure for Hep C and Aids, see what I did there?

I also don't find anybody with an associates superior as well, sorry but that's not even considered high speed in my book. Many nurses have just an associates, but I hear they're not being hired these days as hospitals prefer the BSRN's in hopes to phase out the lesser incompetent ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I like Cake in Brazil, Indiana

28 months ago

Alot of these post on here sicken me with no sense of teamwork or professionalism. I guess when I get done with my "unnecessary" MT classes (as some have stated) and my clinicals I may need to invest in a stab-proof vest to prevent backstabbing/smacktalking co-workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Sterling Heights, Michigan

28 months ago

^^ right. and according to the mlt's those two extra years are just gen eds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Palmer, Alaska

28 months ago

Ben in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Nana it does matter where you get certified. If you are a recent graduate of a MT/CLS program in the United States. The only certification agencies that univeristies and colleges talk about once you graduate are ASCP or NCA. This perpetuates into the clinical setting when finding a job. I have never seen one lab director that has their AMT or other cert. Most if not all have their ASCP or NCA, this is the gold standard. You must be a overseas MT with a AMT degree b/c your telling people the WRONG information and they will not be hirable. If you want to work in the US you need ur ASCP or NCA. I recent email I recieved cements the fact that there will be one SINGLE CERTIFICATION AGENCY and that wll be the only option. There were options before b/c the NCA was equivilent to the ASCP, now they are merging there is no other option. And for MLT, yes they are LOWERING WAGES. For example if hospitals soley hired LPN b/c they do the same work as RN's, why would they hire RN's for a hire wage, except for management. But hospitals thoughy abutafety first and only hire RN's here in PA and LPN are forced to work in nursing homes. Every allied health field is increasing the standards in order to work in the profession. Pharmacy use to be BSpharm now its pharmD, PT is now PTD, why are we moving BACKWARDS allowing MLT's in the clinical lab?

Ben I hate to agree with you but you have a point. Here in Alaska LPNs are almost nonexistent. I've been a MLT for 15 years working elbow to elbow with MTs while getting less pay. I quit my job last fall to go and finish out my MT BS. I see the future of our field and I believe you are right.

Jean in Palmer, Alaska

28 months ago

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland said: Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.

Kristen, YES finish your MLT!!! But also keep your eye on continueing to complete your BS. You can work as a MLT whiling getiting your MT online. MLT/MT is the BEST job.

28 months ago

Hi Angela,
Im very sorry it took me so long to reply. The after Spring Break craziness is just now dying down and is replaced by the register for Summer and Fall craziness. Most of my students are in their mid-20s to mid-30s, and I even have a couple who are older than I am! (Lets just say I am probably old enough to be your mom :-) I haven't heard of any age discrimination, but I can say that the graduates who tend to get hired first are the 20-30 something students, who have been out in the world and who have demonstrated great work ethics during clinicals. To strengthen your resume while in the program I would definitely say that you might consider taking a conversational Spanish class or two. While it won't make you bilingual, it will help with communication skills and show that you care about communicating with patients. Probably the number one thing I would suggest, however, is to make sure that you display a professional demeanor and demonstrate good work ethics while in clinicals. Students who are consistently on-time to clinicals, look neat and clean, ask questions, show initiative, etc are the ones who get hired in a heartbeat. I always tell my students to think of clinicals not only as a learning experience, but as a year long job interview. All of the clinical facilities look at students as potential employees, and those students who are dependable, trustworthy, and work hard are going to be offered positions first. Its not about your grades... the diploma is the same whether you are first or last in your class. Its all about the ideal balance between knowledge, application of skills, and work ethics. I hope this helps you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

st.MLT daniels in Thomson, Georgia

27 months ago

Do anyone know what the starting rate is for MLT/MT in Georgia

lala in Saint Petersburg, Florida

26 months ago

I'm having a little difficulty understanding what the big difference is between an MT and an MLT. I will be starting my associates for MLT at my local college and it's a five semester program plus we need to have pre-requisites in anatomy, chemistry, biology, and microbiology. A university that is about an hour away from me offers a bachelor's program but when I looked at the courses required for a bachelor's they are the about same as the ones I will be taking for my associates. The only difference I can see is that they have a laboratory management and education class extra but all the other classes are the same. Could someone please explain to me what courses MT's take that MLT's do not. Thank you.

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.