MLT starting salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (401 to 450 of 479)
Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

glad in Royal Oak, Michigan

45 months ago

I don't understand all of the hostility between folks in the lab. What is the big deal?? Do your job and go home. Simple. If you have to base your self-worth solely off of your job then something is seriously wrong. MLT's are just as good as MT's in many respects. What i like about my decision to become an MLT first before progressing to MT is that i'll get more training time and opportunity to develop my skills. There's good in either road you choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

gurjant singh in Firozpur, India

45 months ago

CLS48 in California said: The problem is technicians can't release results because they don't have the license. Laboratories will always need MTs.

In, CA, technicians get paid $12 to $20 per hour depending on experience. MTs get $28 to $48 depending on experience and hospital location in CA.

The difference in salary appears to be more pronounced here than other places. I find it ridiculous that technicians can make almost as much as MTs in some places given that people with diplomas in dmlt and 25 yrs experience in civil hospital moga punjab india

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Woodstock, Georgia

45 months ago

Ricky in Carrollton, Texas said: Yes every MLT is happy to have a job, what a suprise, you have less debt bc you went to a community college and much less education, of course your happy to have a job, that is why the Mlt ASCP is so basic bc there is next to no theory taught for a AS Mlt degree.

I am an MLT who has 30 hours in chemistry and a bachelors in business. I have also challenged the the MT ASCP certification and passed the first time. which I think is equivalent to a BS degree. So just to let you know we did have theory taught to us in school and I was taught well. Passing my Mt ASCP the first time and Three years later without studying should show you that you are no better than an MLT. You are a closed minded pig. There are MT with whom I work with who still has not passed the ASCP. NUFF SAID!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TK82 in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Dennis in Woodstock, Georgia said: I am an MLT who has 30 hours in chemistry and a bachelors in business. I have also challenged the the MT ASCP certification and passed the first time. which I think is equivalent to a BS degree. So just to let you know we did have theory taught to us in school and I was taught well. Passing my Mt ASCP the first time and Three years later without studying should show you that you are no better than an MLT. You are a closed minded pig. There are MT with whom I work with who still has not passed the ASCP. NUFF SAID!!!!

Hi, I'm considering taking the same route. I was wondering: did your 30 hrs of science include the MLT science courses in the program or did you take additional courses like Organic Chem II or Biochemistry to satisfy the requirements?

Dennis in Athens, Georgia

45 months ago

Clinical Chemistry was considered from MLT. Chemistry 1,Chemistry 2, and Organic Chemistry was considered. These classes along with MLT classes were enough to challenge ASCP. You will have to also have your experience signed off by your supervisors or lab director. Experience was three years when i did it; I believe it is two years now ,and it will have to be in each department. Experience has to be after bachelors degree. ASCP explains this vaguely on the ASCP website. A packet will be sent to be filled out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

batttie in Seaside, California

44 months ago

So. Just wondering since this thread was started almost 3 years ago.. What is the starting salary for MLT and what area.... I know around the Bay area its around $25-$30 per hour. Any other parts of the country close or could match this??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Hyde Park, New York

44 months ago

Yea, I would also like to know what the starting pay is for MLT's in highly populated areas. Although, I must admit it's kind of a buzz-kill to read a thread that's so old, and yet full of people discouraging the degree that I am almost done obtaining. Do people still feel that the MLT program is shi**y and not worth the time? And are job openings predicted to be plentiful in about another year? The reason I am so curious about this is because my family is extremely poor and my only option was a community college, because I have full financial aide coverage. What also confuses me is that the teachers in my MLT classes do nothing but praise the job and talk about how plentiful the openings are and will be. Any info on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jonnyboy in Mattoon, Illinois

44 months ago

Hey, don't worry. The majority of the people on this discussion page are very negative, petty, and honestly, seem miserable. I have my bachelor's degree and could not move away to do my clinicals for MT, so did the MLT(closer to home), and will be able to sit for my MT ASCP next summer. I work with MT's (there are actually only 3 MLT's in my whole lab), and we do the EXACT same job. We are not looked at as inferior in the least. I really like my job a lot. I probably will not stay a tech forever, and plan on begining my master's soon, but it is a great career. Also, in larger areas, the jobs are plentiful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Pascagoula, Mississippi

44 months ago

MLT start out here between 12&14 dollars an hour. Evening shift diff is between 2&2.50 an hour. Night shift diff here is 3-4an hour.weekend shift diff brings in another 4to 5 an hour more plus your evening or night shift pay. Get your mt its another 3-4 dollars an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Rosedale, Indiana

44 months ago

jonnyboy in Mattoon, Illinois said: Hey, don't worry. The majority of the people on this discussion page are very negative, petty, and honestly, seem miserable. I have my bachelor's degree and could not move away to do my clinicals for MT, so did the MLT(closer to home), and will be able to sit for my MT ASCP next summer. I work with MT's (there are actually only 3 MLT's in my whole lab), and we do the EXACT same job. We are not looked at as inferior in the least. I really like my job a lot. I probably will not stay a tech forever, and plan on begining my master's soon, but it is a great career. Also, in larger areas, the jobs are plentiful.

What university were you attending was it in Illinois or perhaps Indiana? I go to ISU in Terre Haute, IN just wondered because I also have to move away for my clinicals.

jonnyboy in Mattoon, Illinois

44 months ago

I got my bachelor's from Eastern Illinois University. I work with quite a few people who went to Indiana State! They did their clinicals in Vincennes, IN. That is one of our sites as well. The closest actually. All the rest are at least 2 1/2 hours away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Salt Lake City, Utah

43 months ago

Hello all,
I am on my way to get my AA and BS in MLS at Weber state and will be done in three years or less. Then planning on getting my MHA right after while working in the lab. Do you think this is a good idea?

echo in Franklin, Tennessee

43 months ago

In most States there's not a big distinction between what a MT can do and what a MLT can do, but Tennessee just recently changed that. MLTs can no longer be lead techs nor can they calibrate any of the instruments. I don't know if this came about because of the healthcare reform or if this is just something the State decided to do on their own. I think there is going to be a shift towards hiring more MTs in TN.

me in Crossville, Tennessee

43 months ago

What kind of changes have happened and how recently? I work in Cookeville as a MLT and I am not aware of any changes. I still did things as usual when I worked yesterday.

echo in Columbia, Tennessee

43 months ago

According to our Lab Director MLTs can't calibrate any of the instruments and they can't be lead tech anymore. I'm not sure when it takes affect, I'm thinking sometime this month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JMarie in Vista, California

43 months ago

I've been working in a private laboratory in research hormone balance, and it's a very interesting part of lab work.

I guess you can say im a Lab Assistant, and a mild MLT. I do all of the accessioning and review a lot of the results. We test saliva and urine, no hemo, or micro testing. I also do extractions of urine and saliva specimen. I process the reports to be sent to clients. I keep track of my QC, have a consistent lab notebook, and I also keep track of all of the stock of materials in the lab (i.e. i write the PO's and order the materials for everything/anything we need). I guess you can say I am probably the biggest help in my lab. I work under a Phd. Chemist, and a technologist. I got the job in production, and they had me train a little in some lite accessioning, and i just grew and advanced more by having very detailed and meticulous work ethic.
Whats my point?
Well, I've only got my HS diploma (2006 grad), didnt take any chem, and had one biology class. I have not taken any college courses, not even the gen. pre req's for an AA degree. Ive always been intrigued by science but never thought to pursue it as a career, until now when im three years deep into the field.
-Should I really work on getting MLT certified and licensed after my AA and meet requirements/qualifications for ASCP exam? After taking various chem and bio courses and THEN the MLT program (this is now almost 4 yrs later! with just an AA! and a 5k bill!) So im thinking of going big, and just jump shot to CLS get my BA, take the program at UCSD and get bonified.
im only 23 fem, by the time im done with school ill be seeing 30 soon, and not even be far on the ladder of a lab career. Do i really want to be serious in this?

I apologize for such an explaination, but im like the noob of noobs in the field. However i get my work done before deadline, correctly and my work is reliable, it proves so in the results of the lab. I just dont know the science of it all.

Dennis in Moss Point, Mississippi

43 months ago

I would do it. It would be worth it. Just get experience in a hospital and then get your four year degree online. Ole Miss, university of cincinatti, and plenty of other schools offer medical technologist or clinical lab scientist degrees online. Is it worth going to school to make 20-30 dollars an hour? If your answer is yes then do it. I am 37 and didnt graduate till i was 25. There is plenty of opportunity for younger techs. Alot of people in this field are older and about to retire.

43 months ago

Saro in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I am going to school to become and MLT, and I already have a BS in Biology. Does anyone know after I become and MLT what steps to take to become an MT. I am moving to Washington as soon as I get my MLT degree. I am kind of nervous after reading some of the comments about the lab being the step child of the medical field. Do most of you MLT/MT enjoy this field??

After mlt school just test for mt ascp certification.

43 months ago

Mike in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: A couple of things:

The difference between MLT and MT is much smaller than Pharmacist and Pharmacy Tech. legally, im most states, an MLT cand do everything MTs can do. MLTs have been known to work in every lab department that MTs do and do pretty much all of the same work minus a couple of exceptions.

The biggest difference between MLT and MT is the ability to become a Lab Manager or department managers.

You can become a lab manager as an mlt, but you can not be a technical consultant. As a lab manager your supervisors can be you technical consultant and the pathologist would have to sign off on blood bank and micro stuff. Clia 88 you can not be a lab director unless you have a BS degree. You can be a lab manager but that is up to the hospital that hires for that position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Do right lady in Shreveport, Louisiana

43 months ago

I am new on the block, meaning I have not passed my mlt exam and I am going to study more effective. However I am excited to read your comments. I am excited about your concerns with the pay,the duties and
futhering your education. I do want to further mine also. Are the upper
chemistry like 124 and 247 more difficult? Please share some of your
study habits or tell me how you prepared for the exam. So far I have heard that repetition is one of the keys to learning. I would appreciate your opinion on any of these matters. I will keep in touch
about my progress. I am very elated over your achievements. I just love
working in the lab is my goal. I want to become independent like Maslaw.

MLT in KY in Crestwood, Kentucky

42 months ago

I have to agree that there is nothing special about being an MLT and yes I agree that our job is to push buttons!!! And I say that as an MLT not as a person who has not been in a lab before. Thats true that you have to know what the test result mean but anyone who has intrest in the medical field would know! And an MLT has access to the diagnosis so that makes the # make sense. I wish I had known what it is realy like before going through 2 1/2 years of this. Oh ya and would someone please tell me why do lab people have no respect for anyone in the hospital especialy the nurses who work 10 times harder than us MLT's. Every hospital I have been in complain about all the other departments in the hospital and even complain about each other. I have to say I was shocked when I first started at how unprofessional lab techs are no wonder we are the lowest paying department in the hospital!!! Maybe this is due to our work enviroment cooped up in the lab all day that drove some of the MLTs to be such bitter people. I hope to God I do not become one of those people as years pass by IF I stay in this field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sudarshan in Chandigarh, India

36 months ago

starting salary is 15000 to 25000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

I like Cake!!! in Brazil, Indiana

36 months ago

Very interesting reading these post for the last year. Im 39 have an AS Biotechnology and worked in Pharmaceuticals for 6 years and now with the loss of drug patents I was laidoff. In the pharma field I could do the same job as a BS micro technician but the FDA regulated what degrees can perform what tasks this eliminated arguments and helped differentiate payscales. Anyways, I decided to continue with a BS Biology with Specialization in Medical Laboratory Science, job security is the main reason. What I see happening with the battling between MT and MLT is very disturbing and really makes me wonder if I made the right choice with what seems to be a hostile work environment just as I approach my clinical year beginning in December. I really researched the best I could as far as pursuing MT or MLT programs. Here in Indiana there is a huge difference in Core Class requirements between the two programs, for example I have to complete one year inorganic chem and one year organic chem, immunology, and a year of clinicals. The MLT program doesnt require anything close to this and requires only 6 mos clinicals, although it does serve its purpose and has 100% job placement. I think to each is their own, we all have our life paths and there is no reason to squash someone elses path to make ourselves feel better about our choices.If a person progresses, no matter the degree isnt that the point of a career and a job. As far as pay, maybe MT's in each state should advocate for their state to pass a "MLT bill" as CA has done. Good post, nice to see another that views the bashing as unprofessional and interesting to see that MLT's have longer clinicals than MT's, opposite of my state.

Angela in Harker Heights, Texas

36 months ago

Hi everyone, to the one in Indianna, I can't imagine that the actual workplace is like this, in addition for the most part it seems like this field attracts the lets get the job done, keep to yourself types, along those lines I can't imagine that they like confrontation and will avoid it all costs, some of the things said on this post I'm sure people don't say in the lab, that is just incredibly unprofessional, anyhow I just had a couple of questions I'm currently completing an enviromental science degree, however I'm concerned that I won't be able to find a job after I graduate, I have most of the pre-req's done for entry into an MLT program, expect things like phlebotomy and 2nd year of Chemistry...the only MLT program near me is aobut 2 and a half hours away, I'm having a hard time getting the school to get back in touch with me...my understanding is that for MLT clinicals are 6 months long, however I don't know how many days per week, or how many hours at a time...this would be useful information because I will be taking other courses and will need to know how to schedule them...I know that people on here won't know school specifically, however I was wondering if a few people could share the sched they had for clincials on here (MLT only please) in addition is it difficult to get a job as an entry level MLT thanks...

MLT AND MT (HEW) in Osseo, Minnesota

36 months ago

CLS48 in California said: The problem is technicians can't release results because they don't have the license. Laboratories will always need MTs.

In, CA, technicians get paid $12 to $20 per hour depending on experience. MTs get $28 to $48 depending on experience and hospital location in CA.

The difference in salary appears to be more pronounced here than other places. I find it ridiculous that technicians can make almost as much as MTs in some places given that people with just high school diplomas can become technicians with experience, while MTs have to get the BS degree.

I find it crazy that because mama and papa put you through school or because a Pell grant got you though 4 years of partying that you are superior to those that know the impact of every move we make in our positions. A BS does not make you good at what you do. This is also about age discrimination how many techs over 45 have a BS degree but do everything in the laboratory field?

David in Miami, Florida

36 months ago

what are the chances of a starting MLT to make $15-$16 starting

cali native in Amarillo, Texas

36 months ago

David in Miami, Florida said: what are the chances of a starting MLT to make $15-$16 starting

In my part of Texas, that's about the norm, assuming that the person is certified and probably "paying their dues" by working on the 3-11 or 11-7 shift.

36 months ago

Hi Angela,
In my program, Freshmen students spend about 64 hours in clinicals and Sophomore students go to clinicals 4 days per week, 8 hours per day for 16 weeks. They also have about 10 days of in-house clinical experiences. During clinicals, the students are simply at the clinical facilities for hands-on experience. In other words, students are expected to know all of the theory before they go to clinicals.

Im sorry you are having such a time communicating with the nearest program. In all fairness, I have to say that this is Spring Break, and students as well as faculty are on vacation at the present time. Have you considered an online program where program officials work with you to arrange clinicals in your area? If so, you might consider contacting www.naacls.org That is the website for the accreditation agency for all lab programs. Im sure that they could help you.

Angela in Slaton, Texas

36 months ago

hi cali in texas now:-) I appreciate the fast and thorough response, not sure that an online program is for me, but at least now I know I need to take a very light course load for the other degree while pursuing MLT, and I know they are on spring break, and forgot that things get kind of crazy a couple of days before the break, also for the program I'm looking into only requires Algebra before starting and second year of Chemisty, do you have any other recommendations just starting off before I start for a smoother transition?? also since you are in charge of a program, I'm in my 30's is there alot of age discrimination and what type of things can I be doing to strengthen my resume while in the progam and is it difficult for an entry level MLT to get a full time job?? appreciate your time..

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland

35 months ago

Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.
Previously, I have a conversation with my professor and she wanted me to make two choices either go on with my degree or continue working for LabCorp as a RPT(Registered Phlebotomy Technician). I can't have both. I've been working for this company for 4 years now as a Patient Service Technician Specialist/Quality Assurance and I am making the same pay rate as what an MLT do. While reading all of the comments in here,why would they create such degree---MLT only to end up not getting the job when you finish MLT???
I would suggest to go to a Health Agency like Source One or Kelly Health Services...

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland

35 months ago

Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.
Previously, I have a conversation with my professor and she wanted me to make two choices either go on with my degree or continue working for LabCorp as a RPT(Registered Phlebotomy Technician). I can't have both. I've been working for this company for 4 years now as a Patient Service Technician Specialist/Quality Assurance and I am making the same pay rate as what an MLT do. While reading all of the comments in here,why would they create such degree---MLT only to end up not getting the job when you finish MLT???
I would suggest to go to a Health Agency like Source One or Kelly Health Services...

Tracy in Mount Washington, Kentucky

35 months ago

I love it!!!! Way to take one for the team!!!!!!!!!!

Ludicrous!!! said: I have read many of the comments on this sight and am amazed at the ignorance and arrogance of some of you so called professionals!
I have an Associate in Applied Science / Medical Laboratory Technology. I am an ASCP certified MLT, and if YOU have ever tested for ASCP Certification then you already know...YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR YOU WILL NOT PASS THE EXAM!!! I have worked in laboratories and see, overall, no difference between the duties required of MT vs MLT...the jobs are basicaly the same except the MT's receive higher pay. I am married to a MT Lab Manager...PT, QC, Maintenance etc...may be deligated to a MT, but it's not the LAW...MLT's are also trained in this area. We are NOT idiot monkeys off the street coming into "YOUR" lab and pushing the buttons on "YOUR" analyzers...we MLTs most likely know more about the legal issues, theory, policy, procedure... than you do & FYI to the real smart one who said MLTs can not report results; GET A CLUE!!! You guys are upset because you paid for 2 unnecessary years of education and want to demand that others see you as superior...well not this MLT...I see you as an equal...your ignorance and arrogance alone is enough to deduct 2 years of your so called knowledge! Again...get a clue!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Frankus in Asheville, North Carolina

35 months ago

AMEN TRACY.... WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in Mount Washington, Kentucky

35 months ago

Rohan,
Who are you calling incompetent??? I've been an associates degree nurse for 10 years & a damn good one! In fact, who do you think answers the other nurses (yes, bachelors prepared) questions & helps them out in a pinch! I've had more clinical hours in school than these nurses, & guess what...even get paid more than many of them!! Oh yes, nobody cares to mention that a BSN doesn't get you anymore money unless your management! It's experience that makes the nurse, not how many bull**** credits you have taken!!

Rohan in Fresh Meadows, New York said: lol todd.

No my mother is not a nurse. You keep saying the sky is the limit for nurses. Dude, that's the same for everyone if they have the drive for it. Were talking about the current degree and situation here, not what a nurse "can" do if they wanted to. I "can" decide to goto med school if I wanted to and someday invent a cure for Hep C and Aids, see what I did there?

I also don't find anybody with an associates superior as well, sorry but that's not even considered high speed in my book. Many nurses have just an associates, but I hear they're not being hired these days as hospitals prefer the BSRN's in hopes to phase out the lesser incompetent ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I like Cake in Brazil, Indiana

35 months ago

Alot of these post on here sicken me with no sense of teamwork or professionalism. I guess when I get done with my "unnecessary" MT classes (as some have stated) and my clinicals I may need to invest in a stab-proof vest to prevent backstabbing/smacktalking co-workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Sterling Heights, Michigan

35 months ago

^^ right. and according to the mlt's those two extra years are just gen eds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Palmer, Alaska

35 months ago

Ben in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Nana it does matter where you get certified. If you are a recent graduate of a MT/CLS program in the United States. The only certification agencies that univeristies and colleges talk about once you graduate are ASCP or NCA. This perpetuates into the clinical setting when finding a job. I have never seen one lab director that has their AMT or other cert. Most if not all have their ASCP or NCA, this is the gold standard. You must be a overseas MT with a AMT degree b/c your telling people the WRONG information and they will not be hirable. If you want to work in the US you need ur ASCP or NCA. I recent email I recieved cements the fact that there will be one SINGLE CERTIFICATION AGENCY and that wll be the only option. There were options before b/c the NCA was equivilent to the ASCP, now they are merging there is no other option. And for MLT, yes they are LOWERING WAGES. For example if hospitals soley hired LPN b/c they do the same work as RN's, why would they hire RN's for a hire wage, except for management. But hospitals thoughy abutafety first and only hire RN's here in PA and LPN are forced to work in nursing homes. Every allied health field is increasing the standards in order to work in the profession. Pharmacy use to be BSpharm now its pharmD, PT is now PTD, why are we moving BACKWARDS allowing MLT's in the clinical lab?

Ben I hate to agree with you but you have a point. Here in Alaska LPNs are almost nonexistent. I've been a MLT for 15 years working elbow to elbow with MTs while getting less pay. I quit my job last fall to go and finish out my MT BS. I see the future of our field and I believe you are right.

Jean in Palmer, Alaska

35 months ago

Kristen---Baltimore, MD. in Gwynn Oak, Maryland said: Hello Everybody. Is it realistic for me to finish my MLT course?? I took off school for about two years now.

Kristen, YES finish your MLT!!! But also keep your eye on continueing to complete your BS. You can work as a MLT whiling getiting your MT online. MLT/MT is the BEST job.

35 months ago

Hi Angela,
Im very sorry it took me so long to reply. The after Spring Break craziness is just now dying down and is replaced by the register for Summer and Fall craziness. Most of my students are in their mid-20s to mid-30s, and I even have a couple who are older than I am! (Lets just say I am probably old enough to be your mom :-) I haven't heard of any age discrimination, but I can say that the graduates who tend to get hired first are the 20-30 something students, who have been out in the world and who have demonstrated great work ethics during clinicals. To strengthen your resume while in the program I would definitely say that you might consider taking a conversational Spanish class or two. While it won't make you bilingual, it will help with communication skills and show that you care about communicating with patients. Probably the number one thing I would suggest, however, is to make sure that you display a professional demeanor and demonstrate good work ethics while in clinicals. Students who are consistently on-time to clinicals, look neat and clean, ask questions, show initiative, etc are the ones who get hired in a heartbeat. I always tell my students to think of clinicals not only as a learning experience, but as a year long job interview. All of the clinical facilities look at students as potential employees, and those students who are dependable, trustworthy, and work hard are going to be offered positions first. Its not about your grades... the diploma is the same whether you are first or last in your class. Its all about the ideal balance between knowledge, application of skills, and work ethics. I hope this helps you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

st.MLT daniels in Thomson, Georgia

34 months ago

Do anyone know what the starting rate is for MLT/MT in Georgia

lala in Saint Petersburg, Florida

33 months ago

I'm having a little difficulty understanding what the big difference is between an MT and an MLT. I will be starting my associates for MLT at my local college and it's a five semester program plus we need to have pre-requisites in anatomy, chemistry, biology, and microbiology. A university that is about an hour away from me offers a bachelor's program but when I looked at the courses required for a bachelor's they are the about same as the ones I will be taking for my associates. The only difference I can see is that they have a laboratory management and education class extra but all the other classes are the same. Could someone please explain to me what courses MT's take that MLT's do not. Thank you.

Iana in Kuna, Idaho

32 months ago

jonnyboy in Mattoon, Illinois said: Hey, don't worry. The majority of the people on this discussion page are very negative, petty, and honestly, seem miserable. I have my bachelor's degree and could not move away to do my clinicals for MT, so did the MLT(closer to home), and will be able to sit for my MT ASCP next summer. I work with MT's (there are actually only 3 MLT's in my whole lab ), and we do the EXACT same job. We are not looked at as inferior in the least. I really like my job a lot. I probably will not stay a tech forever, and plan on begining my master's soon, but it is a great career. Also, in larger areas, the jobs are plentiful.

I am in the same situation and almost finished with MLT rotation. I have BS in micro/chem and would like to take MT exam. The ASCP tells me that to get certified for MT I need two years of rotation in each department. Basically I would like to ask you how did you do it ? Did you have to have documentation for every hour you spend in each department ?

Thanks.

John in Paulding, Ohio

32 months ago

Thank you. We are all in the lab for the same reason. That includes Phlebotomist.

robmore.v in Lancaster, Kentucky

31 months ago

MLT Instructor position available immediately. Lexington Ky. Ideal candidate will possess Bachelors degree in Biology. Will accept other related sciences. Must be able to effectively teach Bio, Hematology and Urology. Mon-Thurs. Times vary. College level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rural mlt in Newport, Michigan

26 months ago

Hello everyone, I (ascp certified) recently graduated in May and started working as a mlt 2 days after graduation. I currently work 3rd shift with a base pay of $17.25 (I realize this is very good for rural indiana)...however I am getting mixed emotions if I should go on through UC. Weber st., oe go route 2 ASCP to obtain the degee...its like why should I go on to meerly make 3 dollars more starting out...the education for this is super hard and earning potentials hit the max top to soon for me...honastly I want to make $100, 000+ in my life, thus hospital administration could help me accomplish this feat and it looks somewhat less stressful...however can a labortory texhnologist eventually get a masters of health administration and get into general management of a hospital...I am cuerently looking to get a bachelors in business then get a MHA degree, then hopefully get a two year fellowship or land a big job

Clinical Intern in SE, Michigan

26 months ago

Most MT/MLS degrees are now 4+1 not 3+1.

You go through 4 years and get a bachelors, and your fifth year is an internship (That you have to apply for and is normally a hospital based program)that has nothing to do with your B.S. degree since you have already earned it.

I am sure 3+1 programs still exist, but they are now the minority

recentgrad_MT in Pottsville, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

I trained at a large hospital but have worked as a generalist in mostly 100 bed hospitals. For all those debating on working in this field, here's what you need to understand: this is a highly stressed, low paying job on the verge of change, for good or for ill. You will be bullied and harrassed by doctors, nurses, MLTs, and MTs. Doctors and nurses have dying people they are trying to save and you are the "worry too much about the unimportant things" and the person getting in the way. MLTs hate you because of the old argument of experience vs. college degree. You make your own opinion on this, I'm not debating it here. MTs (plus other you work with) like that you are there so they have a hope of retirement and help, but you are also the "little miss/mr-know-it-all" or "the kid". There is very little respect, no one knows what you do, and the growth is based on lack of people. Some hospitals are better than others about encouraging change, keeping up-to-date, and mandating work when appropriate. My experience and talking to people have told me that smaller places mean you have to do more, taking care of more departments, answering phones, sticking people, etc. It varies. My pay (20-25/hour) allows me to live paycheck to paycheck, especially with my college debt. If you complain about this work/pay, you will get three responses: the "it's like that everywhere/times are tough", the "this is not as bad as ___", or "you just gotta be positive" remark. Translation: put up or shut up. It's not horrible but I'm not gonna sugar coat for you.

The good points are that you will always find work; you just have to be flexible and careful. You have variety in what you do and your work is helping people, they just can't thank you. Pick your work environment carefully, look at pay verses cost of living, be wary of high turnover, have a budget. Also, have a strong work ethic (don’t say it, DO IT). Our generation is bad at not staying at jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Plano, Texas

25 months ago

I respect American Medical Technologist (AMT )for certification exam and their efforts and I encourage every body to do thier exam with them because they are helping all Technologist & Technician before & after exam in many aspects and they are highly qualified not just seeking money collection like others .
Their certification is approved in all United states and They help me alot to get a job and success in my field and they are ready to help you.

@LabSuccess in Indianapolis, Indiana

23 months ago

Wow! Your experience sounds so much like mine. I was 30 years old and still "the kid" and disdained "little miss know-it-all" because I had a knack for fixing what had been screwed up in their labs for YEARS!

James in Hayward, California

23 months ago

I have a few questions regarding testing responsibilities of med lab techs (MLTs). Regarding molecular techniques, does the MLT run gels—or perform any electrophoresis at all? What about kit-ELISA, westerns or PCR for that matter? I know that it could depend on where they work since not all hospitals have this department. I guess that my question is can MLTs perform these techniques, with a 2 year degree? I enjoyed learning and performing these techniques when I was working towards my AS in biotechnology, and I'm thinking about going to school for MLT to see if there is any overlap between these two fields.

I greatly appreciate any advice on this topic.

Page:  « First « Previous   6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.