MLT vs MLS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Hmfounta in Tucson, Arizona

26 months ago

I have a BS in Microbiology, graduated about a 1.5yrs ago and am looking to get a certification. After reading through some older discussions I'll be getting it through ASCP instead of AMT. My question pertains to which I should get. MLT vs MLS (which i've read was formerly MT). The only difference I could find is that MLS requires you to have a baccalaureate vs MLT just requiring an AA. Is this the only difference? Is there a significant advantage of one over the other for job availability, salary, and advancement? Also what are the differences in the testing? I'm assuming that the MLS is more difficult? Is that correct? Are there must have materials for me to study: textbooks, reviews,etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andy_UTMB in Galveston, Texas

26 months ago

The MT program is more in depth than MLT programs, by and large, but this is debatable since the majority of your expertise comes from on-the-job experience rather than education. I am a CLS student so take that for what it's worth. The big difference is pay. Salary for MLT's is around 25-40k/year, for MT(ASCP) around 45-60k. Only MT's can become supervisors and lab managers. In states that have few standards, MLT's and MT's can perform the same testing. Some states that issue licenses, such as California, limit MLT's to basic lab procedures, relegating medium- and high-complexity testing for MT's. MLT's are able to sit for the MT(ASCP) exam if they have a B.S. and 2 years of experience.

You should also understand you cannot sit for the ASCP exam simply because you have a BS in a science. You must first complete an accredited program. For more certification, see the ASCP website: www.ascp.org/Board-of-Certification/GetCertified#tabs-1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.